PDA

View Full Version : Is It a TAX, or Isn't It??

road kill
07-06-2012, 06:00 AM
It seems the progressives can't decide what to call it.:D
Your thoughts?

PMG 131
07-06-2012, 06:01 AM
SCOTUS says the only way it is leagle is as a tax, so its a tax.

Byron Musick
07-06-2012, 06:04 AM
Regardless of the mandate, it is both a TAX and a Mandate!!

zeus3925
07-06-2012, 07:34 AM

BonMallari
07-06-2012, 08:53 AM
the mandate is a TAX, its a penalty on a TAX and just because 5 judges voted that its Constitutional does not make it right..the American public can only blame itself either by their electing such incompetent representatives/senators or by allowing those in power to be elected....America has one chance to rectify the situation on Nov 6, if they get it wrong they wont get another

Gerry Clinchy
07-06-2012, 09:06 AM
Ironic ... a Government that will require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.

How exactly does that work?

Can't ask for your voter ID, but govt can ask you for your insurance card. Can police ask for your insurance card? Unanticipated consequences?

So ... uninsured? Oops, your illegal. That's okay. Since this law doesn't cover illegals, you can go on your way. Just stop in the nearest emergency room when you need it, and you can get this stuff free just like before.

Can a citizen be sent to jail for not paying the tax/penalty? But an illegal is not included in the law, so gets a "pass", and won't get deported since being illegal is not a "serious" crime?

I believe the fine is a penalty, since it is only imposed if you do not act in a certain way. If you do not file your income tax on time, you get a penalty. That penalty is not considered a tax; it is considered a penalty. If you do not get health insurance you will suffer a penalty; however, that penalty will be assessed based on your income level. Penalty for unpaid income tax is based on the amount of tax unpaid? Any accountants on board?

However, a penalty for failure to do something would be unconstitutional. That is why the Court had to rule the fine was a tax to uphold the constituionality of the law. (Hmmm ... wonder if anyone has ever taken that to the Supreme Court for income tax? )

Romney is correct in his statement: it is a tax because the Supreme Court has ruled that it is a tax ... no matter what we believe & what the 4 dissenting justices believe. If it is a tax, it can be legal, and STILL be a bad law. That is the very point that Rubio immediately made after the ruling.

When people have believed that laws about same-sex relationships were bad laws, and an intrusion on personal liberty, they jumped all over it. O-care is a bad law, but since it offers a "carrot" for many, it is not being vetted in the same way.

caryalsobrook
07-06-2012, 09:35 AM

If you pay taxes and you don't, it is SURE to cost ya!

gmhr1
07-06-2012, 09:41 AM
If its going on a irs tax form its a TAX!! I dont worry about it because I have great health insurance already. I worry about all the other taxes he is putting on us and what he 's going to do the next 4 yrs. This man ruined the credit rating of the US for goodness sake!

luvmylabs23139
07-06-2012, 05:35 PM

HA HA HA!!! I have health insurance but I have already paid for part of this nonsense to pay for the leaches. Say what you want about the tanning salon but I go in the winter and guess what that is already being taxed for obuumacare!!
If I decide to sell a rental property I'll pay a fee for OBUMMA care.
In 2013 our medicare tax increases!!!!
I paying through the nose even though I have health insurance.
That COMMIE can rot in HELL!!