PDA

View Full Version : Heard any good "quotes" lately???

Uncle Bill
07-06-2012, 05:36 PM
This one was recently sent to me, and it ranks right up there in my "favorites" saves.

UB

Best Military Quote

"When I joined the military it was illegal to be homosexual, then it became optional, and now it's legal.

I'm getting out before Obama makes it mandatory."

Gunnery Sergeant Harry Berres, USMC

Sure am glad my son and all the members of my family and friends are no longer in the military. If anyone is still in - RUN

charly_t
07-06-2012, 11:55 PM
This was one of the Quotes in the reader's Digest for July/August 2012.

"One cannot be an American by going about saying that one is an American. It is necessary to feel American, like America, love America and then work."
Georgia O'Keeffe

Gerry Clinchy
07-07-2012, 11:28 AM
"Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try. "
... Yoda

Down East Labs 217
07-07-2012, 12:07 PM
From a book I just finished, called Lone Survivor....

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
-Flavius Vegetius Renatus,

Do you have the english version of this? I am curious as to what language it is. I want to say Latin.

Richard

Uncle Bill
07-07-2012, 02:43 PM
Do you have the english version of this? I am curious as to what language it is. I want to say Latin.

Richard

Look this up.

Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus Quotes - BrainyQuote (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/p/publius_flavius_vegetius_.html)

www.brainyquote.com/quotes/.../p/publius_flavius_vegetius_.htmlCached (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:zpMqVjGdM_0J:www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/p/publius_flavius_vegetius_.html+flavius+vegetius+re natus&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us) - Similar (http://www.retrievertraining.net/search?hl=en&biw=1086&bih=450&q=related:www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/p/publius_flavius_vegetius_.html+flavius+vegetius+re natus&tbo=1&sa=X&ei=UoL4T_fNC6iG2gWturzvBg&sqi=2&ved=0CCIQHzAE)
You +1'd this publicly. Undo (http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/#)
Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus Quotes. A handful of men, inured to war, proceed to certain victory, while on the contrary, numerous armies of raw and ...

UB

Gerry Clinchy
07-07-2012, 07:06 PM

Richard

Yup, Latin.
(He) who desires peace, prepares for war.

Down East Labs 217
07-07-2012, 08:08 PM
UB

Thank you for the link.

Richard

charly_t
07-07-2012, 10:13 PM
Yup, Latin.
(He) who desires peace, prepares for war.

Yep, and that is why a lot of us carry a gun anymore. "Speak softly and carry a big stick". Was that Teddy or was it FDR.........seems like it was a Rosevelt.

Gerry Clinchy
07-07-2012, 10:16 PM
Yep, and that is why a lot of us carry a gun anymore. "Speak softly and carry a big stick". Was that Teddy or was it FDR.........seems like it was a Rosevelt.

Wasn't that also Reagan's approach to dealing with the Soviets?

Gerry Clinchy
07-07-2012, 10:32 PM
HRN: Don’t we need a flexible money supply?

Steve Forbes: That’s like saying that changing the
number of minutes in an hour would be a great tool to increase
productivity in the economy.

charly_t
07-07-2012, 10:35 PM
Wasn't that also Reagan's approach to dealing with the Soviets?

I believe it was. Kind of like tough love both being 'step up and do what's correct'. The people who settled this country knew this. Showing weakness to anyone was not a good idea. My husband is old enough to remember his Dad ( who was older when my husband was born ) telling about carrying a gun. In fact his Dad was sent to get his brother out of a crooked card game when the brother was drinking and therefore didn't catch on to the cheating. My father-in-law was in his late teens when this happened but took care of the problem. Show weakness and you are done for. Our own Prez doesn't get this.

HPL
07-07-2012, 11:23 PM

Richard

Here is what is apparently the full original quote and the English translation.

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem". (Whosoever desires peace prepares for war; no one provokes, nor dares to offend, those who they know know to be superior in battle.)

URL: http://able2know.org/topic/37163-1

HPL
07-07-2012, 11:26 PM

Definitely TR.

Franco
07-08-2012, 08:22 AM
Liberals want the government to be your Mommy. Conservatives want government to be your Daddy. Libertarians want it to treat you like an adult. – Andre Marrou

Gerry Clinchy
07-08-2012, 10:41 AM
Here is what is apparently the full original quote and the English translation.

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem". (Whosoever desires peace prepares for war; no one provokes, nor dares to offend, those who they know know to be superior in battle.)

URL: http://able2know.org/topic/37163-1

And history seems to prove that correct.

The place it doesn't hold true is in terms of revolution. If a govt becomes unbearably oppressive to its own citizens, the citizens ultimately try to overthrow that govt, even in the face of superior forces. The citizens find the conditions so oppressive that they would rather die than continue to live under the oppression.

Eric Johnson
07-08-2012, 12:30 PM
How about...

When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President. I'm beginning to believe it. ~Clarence Darrow

HPL
07-08-2012, 01:11 PM
How about...

When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President. I'm beginning to believe it. ~Clarence Darrow

Now that's funny! Would like to know the original context.

Marvin S
07-08-2012, 08:33 PM
Fox News in response to the POTUS's comment that there are not enough Black & Hispanic folks shown on the network will now air "America's Most Wanted" twice weekly ;). Not a quote , but still funny :).

charly_t
07-08-2012, 11:45 PM
How about...

That is a good one.

charly_t
07-08-2012, 11:47 PM
Fox News in response to the POTUS's comment that there are not enough Black & Hispanic folks shown on the network will now air "America's Most Wanted" twice weekly ;). Not a quote , but still funny :).

Very funny.

JDogger
07-09-2012, 10:13 AM
"Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have in trying to change others."

Jacob M. Braude

road kill
07-09-2012, 10:16 AM
"Drink hearty tonight men, for tomorrow we ride!!!"

TR

Bill Watson
07-09-2012, 11:31 AM
" A cow cannot get fat sucking herself". My father, who was a farm raised fellow, 70 years ago. It also applied when FDR put in the New Deal, and started all this mess. Bill

bobbyb
07-09-2012, 06:03 PM
Artifical brilliance is no match for natural stupidity !!

BobbyB
cajun

Gerry Clinchy
07-16-2012, 02:12 PM
Poor President Obama. Look what a mess he will inherit if he gets re-elected.
-----------

murral stark
07-17-2012, 08:39 PM
"just because you're a republican doesn't mean you're a racist. But, if you are a racist, you're most likely a republican." Bill Maher

waterdog711
07-18-2012, 08:08 PM
A liberal, a moderate and a conservative walk into a bar:

The bartender turns and says "Hi Mitt"...

waterdog711
07-18-2012, 08:09 PM
3 out of 4 Amercian women say they wouldn;t sleep with Bill Clinton again...