PDA

View Full Version : Just Fed Up!!

HPL
07-06-2012, 11:16 PM
I have been doing some work on a rent house we own and this morning I needed a somewhat esoteric part for an old Moen fixture. I went to my locally owned small business plumbing supply store to get it. They carry the neat stuff. While there I was also buying some general plumbing supplies (as small businessman myself I think it is good to support the local guys). Bill came to $129.00. I write out the check, name, address, phone number, and DL number on check. THEN they want my date of birth. That ripped it. I am so tired of folks to whom I am trying to give my money treating me like they think I'm going to steal from them. We are told to protect our personal information and then everybody and his dog is asking for more and more. I gave them the option of taking the check as presented or restocking their merchandise. They actually chose the latter. Told them I might be back with cash. Went to Lowes and found everything but the one part. Went back to local guy with cash so as not to write a check. Lady behind counter says she kept all the stuff together for me. I told her I only needed the balancing spool. She said "you're kidding? You are going to do that just because I asked for your birthday?" I said yes (didn't say that her boss who was there during the initial encounter had, because of his policy caused me quite a bit of inconvenience, not to mention getting my hackles up). She said that well they wouldn't sell me just that one part and could refuse service to anyone. I said fine. Called moen and they sent me to someone who mentioned that Moen fixtures have a lifetime warranty and gave me the part (saved me about $80.00). The local guy will NEVER see me again (did I mention that I own my house and five rental properties making me responsible for 7 water heaters, 10 toilets, 6 kitchen sinks, 10 bathroom sinks, etc. and that I do most of my own repairs so I decide where the supplies are purchased?). I am so sick of businesses (especially the local guys) making it hard for me to give them my money!!!

As a counter point, I was at a small nursery that specializes in native plants buying some plants for my photo site and hadn't asked what forms of payment were accepted. Turns out that they didn't accept credit cards and I didn't have my checkbook with me. That owner (who doesn't know me from Adam but was aware that I lived about 120 miles away) said "just send me a check when you get back home". Now, he will not only be seeing me again, but I will be passing his name around to all I know who might need his services. (Have also already started telling everyone I see the plumbing story including folks standing inline at the store etc. so may be able to cost them even more business). Really hacked me off.

Gerry Clinchy
07-07-2012, 11:33 AM
A happy customer will tell three people; an unhappy customer will tell ten.

Down East Labs 217
07-07-2012, 12:14 PM
I have left more than one store to never return. I will not spend my hard earned cash in a place that treats me wrong. If I am frequenting a business I expect to be treated as though you want my business. Not with, I could care less if you are here or not. I don't expect them to kiss my back side but I do expect polite assistance.

Richard

gmhr1
07-07-2012, 12:26 PM
Customer service these days is a joke.

BonMallari
07-07-2012, 01:32 PM
there is an old saying " take care of your customers...or someone else will"

HPL
07-07-2012, 06:48 PM
In fact, up until they asked for one more piece of information than I wanted to give, they were polite, cheerful, and helpful.......but, as I had to give them more and more info for them to accept my check, I finally balked. Although it was the lady behind the counter that asked for the info, the owner soon joined in and said that he didn't need to apologize for his policies. He suggested that if I didn't want to give that info I could use a credit card, however there is a sigh on the door saying that they charge a 3% "convenience" fee for credit card usage. As I said, I did go back with enough cash to pay for the part that I couldn't find elsewhere, and we could have parted friends and I would have been back, but when they decided that they didn't want my eighty or so bucks instead of the $129.00, well, they surely cost themselves many hundreds in the future.

They don't trust me enough to take my check without my full personal history, but expect me to trust them with enough personal information to steal my identity and they accuse me of being unreasonable. Dopey.

charly_t
07-07-2012, 09:57 PM
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...................

They don't trust me enough to take my check without my full personal history, but expect me to trust them with enough personal information to steal my identity and they accuse me of being unreasonable. Dopey.

Just exactly how I feel about it. Ask them for all of their info before you trust them with yours might work.
Long story but we had a legitimate business run a copy of our check ( that we had given to them for payment of a service ) through after they had cashed our check and had the money. Twice the cash that they should have had and it was legal. I don't know if that can be done anymore or not. They fixed the problem pdq but I never trusted them after that. What was more troubling was the fact that the bank honored the copy......never checked on things at all and it was a small home town bank.

Franco
07-08-2012, 08:11 AM
My experience is kind of the opposite. I too have rental property and use to do all of my business with Lowes. In 2009, I received a letter in my monthly statement informing me they would be charging me an annual fee of $50. to cover all of thier bad credit that they have issued. I called them and pointed out that I had never been late and that if they insisted on charging me the $50. fee that I would close my account. Person on the phone said that there was nothing she could do about it so, I paid off the balance and closed the account.

I then approached a large local hardware store and opened an account with them. I also use a local "handyman" for when I get those phone calls like, "my toilet won't flush". Most licensed subs like plumbers charge $75. an hour. My local handyman only charges me $35 per hour.

HPL
07-08-2012, 09:29 AM
My experience is kind of the opposite. I too have rental property and used to do all of my business with Lowes. In 2009, I received a letter in my monthly statement informing me they would be charging me an annual fee of $50. to cover all of thier bad credit that they have issued. I called them and pointed out that I had never been late and that if they insisted on charging me the $50. fee that I would close my account. Person on the phone said that there was nothing she could do about it so, I paid off the balance and closed the account.

I then approached a large local hardware store and opened an account with them. I also use a local "handyman" for when I get those phone calls like, "my toilet won't flush". Most licensed subs like plumbers charge $75. an hour. My local handyman only charges me $35 per hour.

I'm not saying that I love Lowes, although their check acceptance policy is less intrusive, just that this local guy is a jerk and has lost my business to corporate America. There are only two other sources in town for general plumbing supplies and neither had the specific part I needed. Did get it from a locally owned dealer in the next town, just not here in our little town. The check wouldn't have been an issue if he hadn't had the 3% surcharge for credit card use sign on his door. He just made it too difficult to give him my money and then when I went back with cash for the single part that I hadn't picked up on my other perambulations around town getting other supplies, they chose not to sell to me. Their loss in the long run.

Most of the time I am my plumber and carpenter and painter (don't do the electrical). I just don't have enough property to keep a handyman busy. I have several acquaintances that own enough to have someone on staff. If I ever get that big, we'll still be buying our plumbing supplies elsewhere.

The other (and possibly most salient) point is that the local guy here in the town where I have lived since 1978 was going to SELL me the part for around $80.00, when in fact, the part was covered under Moen's lifetime warranty and was GIVEN to me by another dealer in a neighboring town. Now who shouldn't be trusting whom? Believe that it could be argued that he was about to steal from me.

Franco
07-08-2012, 10:18 AM
I'm not saying that I love Lowes, although their check acceptance policy is less intrusive, just that this local guy is a jerk and has lost my business to corporate America. There are only two other sources in town for general plumbing supplies and neither had the specific part I needed. Did get it from a locally owned dealer in the next town, just not here in our little town. The check wouldn't have been an issue if he hadn't had the 3% surcharge for credit card use sign on his door. He just made it too difficult to give him my money and then when I went back with cash for the single part that I hadn't picked up on my other perambulations around town getting other supplies, they chose not to sell to me. Their loss in the long run.

Most of the time I am my plumber and carpenter and painter (don't do the electrical). I just don't have enough property to keep a handyman busy. I have several acquaintances that own enough to have someone on staff. If I ever get that big, we'll still be buying our plumbing supplies elsewhere.

The other (and possibly most salient) point is that the local guy here in the town where I have lived since 1978 was going to SELL me the part for around $80.00, when in fact, the part was covered under Moen's lifetime warranty and was GIVEN to me by another dealer in a neighboring town. Now who shouldn't be trusting whom? Believe that it could be argued that he was about to steal from me.

I don't disagree with what you did, given those circumstances. No doubt many locals can be difficult to deal with.

I just didn't like being charged a fee becuase Lowes granted credit to those they shouldn't have and wanted to pass the cost along to those that pay their bills on time. Kind of like our ourrent politicians in both parties;)

BTW, the Handyman that I use is a part-timer. Heck, if I hired him fulltime he'd have more money to spend but then, I'd have to provide him with Health Insurance!

road kill
07-08-2012, 10:24 AM
I don't disagree with what you did, given those circumstances. No doubt many locals can be difficult to deal with.

I just didn't like being charged a fee becuase Lowes granted credit to those they shouldn't have and wanted to pass the cost along to those that pay their bills on time. Kind of like our ourrent politicians in both parties;)

BTW, the Handyman that I use is a part-timer. Heck, if I hired him fulltime he'd have more money to spend but then, I'd have to provide him with Health Insurance!

Wait, what??

I thought it was free?????

gmhr1
07-08-2012, 11:25 AM
The last time I ordered checks my bank advised me because if ID theft not giving any info other than my name. If Obama has his way we will all have the stamp on our body somewhere so they can just scan you and have all your info wont that be easy.

Pam Spears
07-08-2012, 11:38 AM
I'm with you on the protection of personal information. We are hammered by the media, our financial institutions, and experts to protect ourselves by not releasing SS#, birthdate, etc. And then the vendors want all of that and more. I understand they are dealing with a steady stream of fraudulent transactions, but we are left twisting in the wind, right in the middle. I think you did the right thing. Did you make sure the manager heard about the refusal to sell a single part and the Moen policy of lifetime warranty? It might not change anything, but who knows, and it might make you feel better.

HPL
07-08-2012, 01:00 PM
Did you make sure the manager heard about the refusal to sell a single part and the Moen policy of lifetime warranty? It might not change anything, but who knows, and it might make you feel better.

That's for a day when I'm not still a bit pissed.

Jason Glavich
07-09-2012, 12:04 PM
I started a similar thread a while back.

http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?83958-Mom-and-Pop-Stores&highlight=tractor

The sad part is, i bought the part online, the guy I bought it from was not from this country, i saved myself money, and the local shops are going under fast around here.

I would have done the same thing as you, but then again I havent wrote a check in many years, the 3% surcharge is a bit much, why not just mark up the item and not post a big sign. It is way less of a big deal for the part to be 82.40 then it is to maike it 80 then tell someone there is a 3% fee for using a card. It is all about perception.

I have the same problem with all the local stores around here.

paul young
07-09-2012, 01:18 PM
The last time I ordered checks my bank advised me because if ID theft not giving any info other than my name. If Obama has his way we will all have the stamp on our body somewhere so they can just scan you and have all your info wont that be easy.

You're going to wear a groove clean thru that record if you don't do something about it......-Paul

huntinman
07-09-2012, 03:48 PM
You're going to wear a groove clean thru that record if you don't do something about it......-Paul

Umm... this is a forum. People come here to express themselves. If you are tired of the message, don't read it.

Jim Danis
07-09-2012, 04:51 PM
Similar experience with a local business. Great hamburger place actually. Their burgers and fries and onion rings are freshly made and very well priced. Ordered a burger with onion rings and when I got my order the rings were burnt. I bring it back and tell them my rings are burnt. The owner looks at the rings and says to me "Seriously?" They were very dark brown and black. My response was, "Do you think I'm bringing them back just because, SERIOUSLY?" He cooks up a new order of rings and that is the last he's seen of me in almost a year. Won't go back either. It's a shame too becasue I used to go there at least once if not twice a week.

paul young
07-09-2012, 09:58 PM
Umm... this is a forum. People come here to express themselves. If you are tired of the message, don't read it.

A forum? No kidding? Thanks for passing that tidbit of information my way, Bill. Actually, that's probably the most astute post out of you in months.

You want to explain what Obama has to do with HPL getting the third degree before the hardware store would accept his check? Please do. I'm waiting with baited breath

There's A LOT of stuff on here i don't bother to read because it's tiresome.-Paul

gmhr1
07-10-2012, 10:18 AM
Thats ok everyone is entitled to their own opinion its still America, hopefully it will be a better one after Nov. My point was once Obama has us all take the " Mark" we wont need to show ID they can just scan the mark on our hand and have all our info.

Ken Bora
07-10-2012, 10:19 AM
... SERIOUSLY?" He cooks up a new order of rings and that is the last he's seen of me in almost a year. Won't go back either. It's a shame too becasue I used to go there at least once if not twice a week.

better for your heart anyway.
but you got your rings???
at that 'zact moment the feller could have been having a fryer blow up and a waitress knocked up.
your rings may have been the straw on the camel, at that moment. It happens. Or he may have been a dark ring guy.
sad you would stay away from a place you just called great, over 1 word.
better for your heart anyway.

LokiMeister
07-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Best Buy asked me for my drivers license when I used a credit card for a $260 purchase this spring. I said no. They have a system for verifying if the card is good. They don't need my drivers license.

US Post Office has a policy that if you GO to the post office and use a check you need to show them a credit card yet, if you send them a check in the mail, they honor it without any problems. I would definitely go some place else if the Post Office wasn't the only game in town.

HPL
07-10-2012, 11:22 AM
Best Buy asked me for my drivers license when I used a credit card for a $260 purchase this spring. I said no. They have a system for verifying if the card is good. They don't need my drivers license.

US Post Office has a policy that if you GO to the post office and use a check you need to show them a credit card yet, if you send them a check in the mail, they honor it without any problems. I would definitely go some place else if the Post Office wasn't the only game in town.

I kinda wish more places asked for ID to accept credit cards. That would make sense to me. As to the post office, must be a local thing. I am in the PO all the time and have never had to show a credit card or even my DL, but I do live in a relatively small town (25,000) and having been visiting the PO at least several times a month for years.

LokiMeister
07-10-2012, 11:49 AM
I kinda wish more places asked for ID to accept credit cards. That would make sense to me. As to the post office, must be a local thing. I am in the PO all the time and have never had to show a credit card or even my DL, but I do live in a relatively small town (25,000) and having been visiting the PO at least several times a month for years.

My town with the PO in question is less than 15,000. The Best Buy is in Madison, WI which has more than 200,000. I would never give out my credit card or DL to someone that didn't need it. It is way more intrusive than asking for your birth date.

BonMallari
07-10-2012, 12:43 PM
I purposely do NOT SIGN the back of my credit/debit cards because I want the clerk/salesperson to ask for my ID, I had one tell me to sign it and told them no thank you ( it protects me and you if I dont sign it, because it makes them do their job)...once you are a victim of identity theft like I was, you might think differently

Daniel J Simoens
07-10-2012, 02:37 PM
I purposely do NOT SIGN the back of my credit/debit cards because I want the clerk/salesperson to ask for my ID, I had one tell me to sign it and told them no thank you ( it protects me and you if I dont sign it, because it makes them do their job)...once you are a victim of identity theft like I was, you might think differently
There's only one store around here, Fleet Farm, that asks to see my drivers license because the back of my CC isn't signed. It's actually to the point that I give them my ID with the card now, but every once and a while I forget and they ask for the ID as well. Every other store that I use it the clerk just looks at the back of the card to make it look good for the camera. I always get a kick out of that.

LokiMeister
07-10-2012, 03:43 PM

ONLY if they do their job. I don't remember the last time a cashier looked at the back of my card to see if it is signed.

Are you potentially responsible for all charges, as opposed to $50, if your card is stolen and you didn't sign your card?

HPL
07-10-2012, 05:12 PM
Around here most stores have the swipe it yourself feature and the clerk never even looks at the card.

LokiMeister
07-10-2012, 05:38 PM
Around here most stores have the swipe it yourself feature and the clerk never even looks at the card.

And that's kind of my point, why would you ever show more than you have to??

Daniel J Simoens
07-10-2012, 06:27 PM
http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/sign-or-write-see-ID-1282.php

hmmm interesting read

BonMallari
07-10-2012, 08:02 PM

And that's kind of my point, why would you ever show more than you have to??

would either of you have any problem showing your id to a server at a restaurant while on vacation when presenting your credit card....I can honestly say I have never been denied when I asked politely, in fact many European diners want to follow me to the terminal to watch me swipe their card (which I will gladly do) since they can sign right then and there....FTR I very rarely use a debit/cc when purchasing gas, because of all the scams out there at gas pumps..to each their own

Ntblzjk719
07-10-2012, 11:19 PM
Customer service these days is a joke.

Absolutely! I went into a certain orange-colored well known home/hardware store this afternoon (very begrudgingly, as I'm a firm believer that a certain blue-colored well known home/hardware store is run much better, but was in a hurry and sacrificed for convenience) to pick up a simple scrub brush, and when I made my way to the front registers I found that there were ONLY self service checkout counters available. Since I had intended on paying with cash, I attempted to put my bills into the robot cashier, but found that it wasn't going to accept my $5 bill. This meant I had to page an attendant, who then had to go log into a register and exchange my $5, give me a new $5 so that FINALLY I could feed the new bill into the machine. WTF! I understand maybe a few self checkout registers, but not a single human cashier in the store!?!?!?!! By the way this was around 5:30 pm, a seemingly normal time to be in a hardware store. I normally would have walked out, but was in a jam for time and had to go with it.

HPL
07-10-2012, 11:54 PM
would either of you have any problem showing your id to a server at a restaurant while on vacation when presenting your credit card....I can honestly say I have never been denied when I asked politely, in fact many European diners want to follow me to the terminal to watch me swipe their card (which I will gladly do) since they can sign right then and there....FTR I very rarely use a debit/cc when purchasing gas, because of all the scams out there at gas pumps..to each their own

Showing my ID, probably wouldn't have a problem with that, just hope that the server doesn't have an eidetic memory.