PDA

View Full Version : La Crosse/Danner being sold for 138M

BonMallari
07-07-2012, 04:26 AM
two very good boot /wader companies are being sold to a Japanese company...have worn Danner Pronghorns and owned LaCrosse waders and mud boots...sure hope the quality doesnt suffer...just a matter of time before they move the mfg out of the country....I always thought LaCrosse was made in Wisc.. did not know they owned Danner too

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/blog/threads_and_laces/2012/07/lacrosse-footwear-to-be-acquired-for-13.html?ana=e_ptl_rdup&s=newsletter&ed=2012-07-06

Blackstone
07-07-2012, 01:35 PM
Check your Pronghorns. They were probably made in China. Mine were. I have owned 2 pairs, and both leaked after 1 season's use. I complained to Danner about the poor quality and the fact that they were made in China. They said their boots made in China were manufactured to the same quality standards as their boots made in the U.S. I have owned several pairs of Danners over the years, and never had problems before. In fact the pair of Danners I replace with the 1st pair of Pronghorns finally wore out and started leaking after 12 years of hard use. Danner replaced the 1st pair. I didn't bother returning the 2nd pair. Who knows, maybe the quality will actually improve with this new company. However, I am a big proponent of buying American made goods, so I will probably look for boots made in the U.S.

Baby Duck
07-07-2012, 01:48 PM
I won't buy another pair from them. Bought a pair of alpha's and they tore at ankle after wearing them 60 feet and foot slipped off pedal in truck. If they cannot take a rubber pedal rubbing them without tearing I'd hate to see what a walk in the bush would do. They wouldn't do anything as far as coverage.

They were my first and last from those companies.

Jason Glavich
07-09-2012, 11:53 AM
My 3 years old waders were made overseas.

Novemberwitch
07-09-2012, 06:20 PM
Is there still a boot made in the USA?

Blackstone
07-09-2012, 06:51 PM
Some of Danner's boots are still made in America, but the Pronghorns aren't.

BonMallari
07-10-2012, 04:09 AM
Is there still a boot made in the USA?

yup...Tony Lama and Lucchese.....I know they are Cowboy boots

Blackstone
07-10-2012, 12:52 PM
yup...Tony Lama and Lucchese.....I know they are Cowboy boots

They won't help me much in the bird field. :p

BonMallari
07-10-2012, 01:28 PM
They won't help me much in the bird field. :p

been wearing ropers in the field for a long time....don't recommend them for hunting upland, but for warm/hot weather dove hunting,and dog training,and ranch work they work just fine...also much easier to put a set of spurs on them if you have to get on a horse:-P:-P

huntinman
07-10-2012, 05:18 PM
been wearing ropers in the field for a long time....don't recommend them for hunting upland, but for warm/hot weather dove hunting,and dog training,and ranch work they work just fine...also much easier to put a set of spurs on them if you have to get on a horse:-P:-P

No good without pics Bon;)

BonMallari
07-10-2012, 05:52 PM
No good without pics Bon;)

when I lived in Lake Dallas ,my landlord was my friend and brother's former classmate who happened to be a veterinarian..his hobby was Team Roping..I lived on a 5.5 acre ranchette that had a full sized roping arena complete with pens and chutes..Had no choice but to learn to ride, but couldn't lasso a calf to save my life..The one time I actually did,I sat back in the saddle which made the horse stop on a dime, as I went flying over the horse's head..so yes I was a Rexall (drugstore) cowboy, wore a Resistol hat,Tony Lama silver/blue (Dallas Cowboys) boots, and wore Wrangler jeans, even had a duster..I will NEVER be mistaken for a real cowboy, but I love the the National Finals Rodeo

Ronny let me follow him on many horse calls and assist on gelding horses, always got stuck holding the bucket with the horse's nutz after they were clipped, always remembered the shiny chrome emasculator,looked like an oversized pecan cracker.

If you call my cellphone it plays George Strait's " All my Exes live in Texas" :D

M&K's Retrievers
07-10-2012, 06:29 PM
when I lived in Lake Dallas ,my landlord was my friend and brother's former classmate who happened to be a veterinarian..his hobby was Team Roping..I lived on a 5.5 acre ranchette that had a full sized roping arena complete with pens and chutes..Had no choice but to learn to ride, but couldn't lasso a calf to save my life..The one time I actually did,I sat back in the saddle which made the horse stop on a dime, as I went flying over the horse's head..so yes I was a Rexall (drugstore) cowboy, wore a Resistol hat,Tony Lama silver/blue (Dallas Cowboys) boots, and wore Wrangler jeans, even had a duster..I will NEVER be mistaken for a real cowboy, but I love the the National Finals Rodeo

Ronny let me follow him on many horse calls and assist on gelding horses, always got stuck holding the bucket with the horse's nutz after they were clipped, always remembered the shiny chrome emasculator,looked like an oversized pecan cracker.

If you call my cellphone it plays George Strait's " All my Exes live in Texas" :D

All of mine do. :shock:

Sharon Potter
07-11-2012, 12:42 PM
Great, American made hunting boots can be found here: http://www.russellmoccasin.com/main.html

They make a zillion different kinds, all custom from the type of leather to the style of sole and other options, and are made in a little shop about an hour from me. Check out their sale items....you can buy some awesome boots at a big discount. I love mine...they are pricey, but worth every penny and can be reworked/resoled/repaired forever. They sell hunting boots all over the world, and when you go into their tiny little shop, your measurements are taken and written down in an old, well-worn ledger book. True custom craftsmanship. (and no, they didn't pay me to say all this...they just make really great boots) :D

BonMallari
07-11-2012, 12:57 PM
Great, American made hunting boots can be found here: http://www.russellmoccasin.com/main.html

They make a zillion different kinds, all custom from the type of leather to the style of sole and other options, and are made in a little shop about an hour from me. Check out their sale items....you can buy some awesome boots at a big discount. I love mine...they are pricey, but worth every penny and can be reworked/resoled/repaired forever. They sell hunting boots all over the world, and when you go into their tiny little shop, your measurements are taken and written down in an old, well-worn ledger book. True custom craftsmanship. (and no, they didn't pay me to say all this...they just make really great boots) :D

Those look awesome.....looks like Wisconsin is the last state that actually produces stuff for the American outdoorsmen..We get some Predator camo stuff from Gray Wolf Woolens, have worn their jacket while bow hunting and its the warmest jacket I have

http://www.graywolfwoolens.com/store/home.php

Sharon Potter
07-11-2012, 01:11 PM
Gray Wolf is great, too. I love their stuff.

The Russell company has made boots for presidents, heads of state, and famous hunters world-wide....they are pretty well known. So it's always fun when an out of state visitor is here and we go over to the shop....they are always shocked because for all its fame, it is very tiny, has no display, and is stuffed full of boots, shoes and the people crafting them. There is no big sign, fancy storefront, etc., just a tiny old boot factory where you talk to real people rather than computers.

WindyCreek
07-11-2012, 03:34 PM
I could not agree more on the Russell Moccasin Company. I have two pair of boots and they are fantastic. The first pair are going on 20 years old, with proper maintenance they last forever! Two years ago I wanted speed lacing studs added in place of the eyelets which they did for about $7.00. They are a great company and their customer service is the best of any company I have dealt with.