PDA

View Full Version : (MI) Looking for Training Property For Summer 2013

Bu-Yah
07-26-2012, 08:29 PM
I am planning on moving to Pentwater, MI next summer and was wondering if anyone knew of any training grounds in the area. I have a house that I will rent in Pentwater, and was wondering if anyone knew of anything in that area. Pentwater is near Muskegon. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. PM or prefferbely email me @ buyahretrievers@gmail.com

wolf_dancer34
08-31-2012, 06:43 AM
I live in Shelbywhich is only a short distance from Pentwater. If you are staying in Pentwater there are plenty of farmers in that area. You should really get here and do knocking on doors and get your permission that way......maybe make a small cash gesture or volunteer to help them around there farm for use of the property. Just a suggestion.

RedstarKennels
03-02-2013, 02:07 PM
Whiskey Creek near Baldwin...used to be a great Field Trial area...the Nationals in 1976 were held there...not sure if it is still maintained or not...should drive over and check it out...

steelheadfred
03-07-2013, 10:45 AM
Lots of public land available if you do some searching, wooded meadows and ponds and such. Power line right aways. Fin and Feather Club in Ludington if you join, I'd imagine they would let you train on days shooting was not scheduled.

My parents have a place by Whiskey Creek, it's pretty private in terms of use of the land and they have a huge womens festival that way every summer.

jacduck
03-09-2013, 09:23 AM
An issue in MI with public lands training is the DNR rule that says NO training from Apr 15 to July 15 due to protection of nesting and young. Privately held land can be used for training. The rule has no differentiation between types of dogs ie. bear vs upland vs retrievers.

Timd
03-16-2013, 08:46 PM
An issue in MI with public lands training is the DNR rule that says NO training from Apr 15 to July 15 due to protection of nesting and young. Privately held land can be used for training. The rule has no differentiation between types of dogs ie. bear vs upland vs retrievers.

This is not true. I have a letter from the DNR that states you can train on public land all year as long as you are doing retreiver training without birds and no upland training.

jacduck
03-17-2013, 11:18 AM
Could you email me a copy of that letter? I sure would appreciate it since I live in DNR country with little private that I can use or is useful. Thanks!

John Cottenham aka jacduck@jacducks.com

featherqwest
03-23-2013, 04:10 PM
I am moving to Huntington WV. So I am looking for both winter and summer training grounds. My relatives have half of Iowa and Wyoming over farmed ??

featherqwest
03-23-2013, 04:11 PM
zillow. com for foreclosures :)

Paul "Happy" Gilmore
03-25-2013, 02:25 PM
I am moving to Huntington WV. So I am looking for both winter and summer training grounds. My relatives have half of Iowa and Wyoming over farmed ??

My barn cat South Dakota and 7-11 Slurpee for lunch. Grew tomatoes and RV Yellowstone to New Mexico.

John Lash
03-25-2013, 09:01 PM
Nice......

wolf_dancer34
03-26-2013, 09:36 AM
Where in Whiskey Creek were the Nationals held....I am very familiar with the area but not of the Field Trial area?

Ken Bora
03-26-2013, 09:38 AM
........ they have a huge womens festival that way every summer.

when is this? are visitors welcome? how do they keep the skinny girls away?

Goldenboy
03-26-2013, 10:06 AM
Ken likes big butts and he can't deny...

8mmag
04-04-2013, 06:44 AM
This is not true. I have a letter from the DNR that states you can train on public land all year as long as you are doing retreiver training without birds and no upland training.

Timd, I too would appreciate a copy of this letter. I got a ticket last year on April 16th for training on public land.
rogerste@comcast.net

Much appreciated, thanks!

jacduck
04-05-2013, 10:09 AM
Excerpt from the district supervisor out of Roscommon. Conversations with folks who have been in the business of training for years all say it is basically up to interpretation as to the legality and to check with your local CO or his/her boss.

"Training a retrieving dog to retrieve an object, other than a game animal, would be legal during this time period.

I have pasted a copy of the Order below:

14.3 Dog training, seasons, exceptions.
Sec. 14.3. (1) Dogs may only be trained on game which can be lawfully hunted with dogs as defined in section 6.2 during the period of July 8 of one year to April 15 of the following year, except as provided in subsections (2) and (3), sections 14.4 and 15.2, or as otherwise permitted by law.
(2) Fox may be chased from April 16 to July 8 in zone 3 on state-owned land with written authorization from the director upon an application form approved by the director.
(3) Game which can be lawfully hunted with dogs may be chased throughout the year on state-owned lands within the following portions of the designated field dog trial areas:
(a) Section 35, T7N R7W, and section 2, T6N R7W, within the Ionia recreation area.
(b) All those portions of the Allegan state game area, Highland recreation area, Holly recreation area, Lapeer state game area, and Sharonville state game area designated as field dog trial areas in section 15.2.
"