PDA

View Full Version : Papa johns pizza cost more

gmhr1
08-07-2012, 09:33 PM
I don't eat papa johns but if you like it you will pay more they have to raise the price to afford health care to their employees. Dunkin donuts subway will soon be following

PamK
08-07-2012, 09:37 PM
you'd rather working people get sick and wind up in the ER because they can't be turned away?

BonMallari
08-07-2012, 09:51 PM
I don't eat papa johns but if you like it you will pay more they have to raise the price to afford health care to their employees. Dunkin donuts subway will soon be following

Please not Dunkin Donuts...their donut holes are a staple in a cold duck blind...Mirk loves em, usually have to get him an extra half dozen of his own

mngundog
08-08-2012, 12:28 AM

Wow really this year health insurance will go up? What an aberration, after 10 years of never seeing my insurance premium rise, Obama has finally made it happen.:roll:

PamK
08-08-2012, 10:06 AM
So, I pay $.25 more for a $10-15 pizza and I get to know that all the guys that made it actually have health care?

Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

road kill
08-08-2012, 10:09 AM
Wow really this year health insurance will go up? What an aberration, after 10 years of never seeing my insurance premium rise, Obama has finally made it happen.:roll:
Oh, well, in that case it's all OK!
Especially after we were promised it would go DOWN!!

Rationalization, the 2nd strongest human drive!:rolleyes:

gmhr1
08-08-2012, 10:19 AM
I don't want to pay more so all the illegals that now get their GED or just scream Dreamer can stay here and get health insurance. They can go back to mexico and be taken care of. My daughter teaches high school in a 98 % hispanic high school former students are flocking in there for their transcripts because you know the Pres said if we graduated high school we are now US citizens thats the message he sent to them for their votes.

ARay11
08-08-2012, 10:22 AM
health insurance will cost more... pizza, subway sandwiches, beer, and wine. Cheese and cars, dumptrucks and mobile homes. fruit, smoothies, and chocolate ice cream. It will ALL cost more. Cattle, corn, commodities... all heading up up up....and don't forget your taxes.... those are flying skyward as well.

time to go make the donuts.... we're gonna need all we can make.

gmhr1
08-08-2012, 10:44 AM
Its time to buy a farm with a cow, chickens and a garden My grocery bill has gone up & 40-50 a week and I buy the same stuff hot dogs bread milk etc just the basics .At least I have a prius so I dont have a gas bill..... Oh yea we are better off than four years ago.... I know none of this is BO's fault. ( my opinion)

paul young
08-08-2012, 11:16 AM
I don't want to pay more so all the illegals that now get their GED or just scream Dreamer can stay here and get health insurance. They can go back to mexico and be taken care of. My daughter teaches high school in a 98 % hispanic high school former students are flocking in there for their transcripts because you know the Pres said if we graduated high school we are now US citizens thats the message he sent to them for their votes.

Now, how did i know that this was going to be somehow tied to illegal immigrants and your hatred for Obama? ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!

You are SOOOOO predictable!-Paul

gmhr1
08-08-2012, 11:28 AM
I guess because he's the one that wants their vote so bad he signed the Executive order to allow them to stay. Who knows what wild hair he will get today and what he will sign away. If your an illegal follow the proper methods and you can become a citizen . If you are an illegal convicted felon, commit a crime we need the right to arrest you and let the Judge do his job. If I had ten traffic violations I would be arrested why does an illegal have rights we dont? What makes tis President think this way? Now they are all signing up for GED's so they can scream Dreamer to the border agents and they can't be arrested If someone has this mind set I guess you would be for Obama Because if you support him you support this. Im very predictable I don't like flip flippers someone when they are running say one thing than when they need votes say something else . ( my opinion )

HPL
08-08-2012, 12:33 PM
I think several of you are missing the point. The point is that in the past, most folks working in the fast food industry were not making a career of it and in fact many were young people covered by their parents' insurance. It is also a fact that people in their teen and twenties tend to be healthier and less likely to need healthcare than older folks. These small businesses couldn't (and still can't) afford to provide their young, mostly part time and somewhat transient workforce with health insurance. Now, they are going to be forced to provide it by the Govt., thus increasing the cost of doing business, and it would be my guess that we will see many small businesses go out of business.

duckheads
08-08-2012, 01:54 PM
^^^^^agree, very well said^^^^^^

T. Mac
08-08-2012, 02:58 PM
Reminds me of the big brouhaha about a year ago when Subway came out with their $5 footlong sandwich campaign. That's $5 except in San Francisco. Reason being that San Francisco has their own minimum wage standard requiring all employers to pay employees a minimum of $10.24/hr. compared to the state's minimum wage of $8/hr. Subway tried to explain that they could not afford to offer sandwiches at $5. and still pay over $10/hr to the people who made them. Amazingly the residents of the city just couldn't understand this. Seemed like it was on the nightly news for over a week.

T. Mac

paul young
08-08-2012, 04:32 PM
Reminds me of the big brouhaha about a year ago when Subway came out with their $5 footlong sandwich campaign. That's $5 except in San Francisco. Reason being that San Francisco has their own minimum wage standard requiring all employers to pay employees a minimum of $10.24/hr. compared to the state's minimum wage of $8/hr. Subway tried to explain that they could not afford to offer sandwiches at $5. and still pay over $10/hr to the people who made them. Amazingly the residents of the city just couldn't understand this. Seemed like it was on the nightly news for over a week.

T. Mac

So all the Subway shops in San Francisco went out of business?-Paul

p.s. I wouldn't want to try to live on $10.24 an hour in San Francisco (or anywhere else in the U.S.)

Marvin S
08-08-2012, 04:51 PM
I wouldn't want to try to live on $10.24 an hour in San Francisco (or anywhere else in the U.S.)

Is it the employers responsibility to make sure people who are not worth the wage still receive a living wage? Or is it the employee's responsibility to provide enough value to the product that they are worth the wage they are receiving?

What's a 24 year old with a Masters in history worth if the job requires he know how to do such rudimentary tasks as mow a lawn on a riding lawn mower? If he is unable to perform a task that elementary?

Remember Paul, his pedigree is worthless if he can't perform the task :-P. The things presented are real life, there are some awfully untalented people out there.

Full time teachers make it on 25K per year in SD - & get results :)! It's considered a good job there & the positions are filled with quality people.

T. Mac
08-08-2012, 05:22 PM
So all the Subway shops in San Francisco went out of business?-Paul

p.s. I wouldn't want to try to live on $10.24 an hour in San Francisco (or anywhere else in the U.S.)

Subway did what any business must do, they raised their prices to cover their costs + and sold their $5 sandwiches for $7.50. Just the building rent in SF probably precluded their selling sandwiches for $5. but to add on the required increase in wages; and remember that unemployment and workman's comp insurance are based on total payroll and also went up due the the minimum wage increase, was just the focal point for their exclusion of SF stores from their promotional rates.

Also on a similar but separate side not, there was an interesting article in Bloomberg's Business a couple issues ago on how food prices are getting ready to skyrocket. They said something along the line that corn would be the starting point with drought related shortages in the US further accentuated by bio-fuel demand and increase demand for livestock feed as more third world country populations join the middle class income levels and now demanding more chicken/beef/lamb... in their diet. According to the article corn prices are now at an all time high and projected to go much higher. With such a demand, farmers will tend to plant more corn at the expense of other crops now creating shortages in those corps, building what could become a new price bubble in food.

T. Mac

BonMallari
08-08-2012, 05:30 PM
Subway did what any business must do, they raised their prices to cover their costs + and sold their $5 sandwiches for $7.50. Just the building rent in SF probably precluded their selling sandwiches for $5. but to add on the required increase in wages; and remember that unemployment and workman's comp insurance are based on total payroll and also went up due the the minimum wage increase, was just the focal point for their exclusion of SF stores from their promotional rates.

Also on a similar but separate side not, there was an interesting article in Bloomberg's Business a couple issues ago on how food prices are getting ready to skyrocket. They said something along the line that corn would be the starting point with drought related shortages in the US further accentuated by bio-fuel demand and increase demand for livestock feed as more third world country populations join the middle class income levels and now demanding more chicken/beef/lamb... in their diet. According to the article corn prices are now at an all time high and projected to go much higher. With such a demand, farmers will tend to plant more corn at the expense of other crops now creating shortages in those corps, building what could become a new price bubble in food.

T. Mac

its already started...we have increased prices on our menu 3 times in the last year...all part of yield management from our parent company....the price of a prime steak is now $59, up almost $10 from last year....the consumer keeps paying , but sooner or later they will meet the breaking point...or maybe we have already gone past that point

Buzz
08-08-2012, 06:57 PM
I heard on the news today that they figured that they would need to charge an extra 12-15 a pizza to pay for the healthcare costs.

That'll be pretty painful...

mngundog
08-08-2012, 10:06 PM

T. Mac
I disagree, most crop prices have risen to records levels directly proportionally with corn because of the record drought, here we basically rotate corn with beans it would make no since to plant more corn when soy beans are at record levels. There is going to be a crop shortage without a doubt and food prices will be going up very fast, very soon. The one thing we will be seeing is just about all CRP being put back into production when its eligible to do so, that's been happening the last few years and will continue to.

JDogger
08-08-2012, 10:32 PM
I suspect that pizza will never be in short supply,,but I've been wrong before.

Now here we go...

...."Jezz Sayin..." ;) JD

menmon
08-09-2012, 02:42 PM
The person that said their insurance had not gone up in ten years is lying!

Insurance goes up every year...it is out of control....and the right wants to stay with the status quo...go figure.

I have a customer that was paying for 50% coverage of his employees...the law says that he has to cover 75% I think he said, but he found that he could cover them 100% for less that 75%...so here is an example of employees getting full coverage from employer and employer saving money.

Gerry Clinchy
08-09-2012, 03:49 PM
article in Bloomberg's Business a couple issues ago on how food prices are getting ready to skyrocket.
"Getting ready" to skyrocket? Two years ago, the cost of a dozen eggs was 99 cents. This week they are $1.89. The drought will undoubtedly impact food prices ... but the cost of energy has already done a job on prices of food as well.

Until they include food and energy in the CLI, the politicians will have no clue what's happening to the populace. Not to mention Bernacke who thinks we have to worry about DEflation!

BonMallari
08-09-2012, 04:54 PM
you want to talk skyrocketing prices...I went out last night to listen to a friend of mine sing at an upscale restaurant at the Aria here in Vegas...the cost of my cocktail before gratuity was $16.25...yikes....and I thought I worked at a tourist trap...(we charge $12) so with tip and all I was down $20 before I even heard one song...FTR I drank Gentlemen Jack Rare on the rocks with a sprite back...they did leave the small sprite bottle when they served the drink

mngundog
08-09-2012, 09:26 PM
The person that said their insurance had not gone up in ten years is lying!

Insurance goes up every year...it is out of control....and the right wants to stay with the status quo...go figure.

I have a customer that was paying for 50% coverage of his employees...the law says that he has to cover 75% I think he said, but he found that he could cover them 100% for less that 75%...so here is an example of employees getting full coverage from employer and employer saving money.
Sambo, it was me, post #4, I thought that with the rolling eyes at the end people would have taken it as sarcasm.