PDA

View Full Version : Living on little or no money.

charly_t
08-20-2012, 05:09 PM
Wonder how most of us will manage to eat and live if this country crashes as it seems to be doing ? Saw an ad for "life time" canning lids a few days ago and was tempted to buy a case or two :-)

Daniel J Simoens
08-20-2012, 05:17 PM
it would behoove you to purchase as much ammo as you can now.

BonMallari
08-20-2012, 05:41 PM
it would behoove you to purchase as much ammo as you can now.

I am clinging to my guns and Bible......actually its my iPhone and a shotgun, but ammo is always welcome

Franco
08-20-2012, 05:46 PM
Gold wouldn't do one much good as fertilizer and seed would be worth more.

gmhr1
08-20-2012, 06:53 PM
Guns, ammo also I stock up on bottle water and can foods, dry foods. I used to buy them in case of a earthquake now its in case of Obama ( end of the world as we know it )

Susie Royer
08-20-2012, 07:22 PM
Saw an ad for "life time" canning lids a few days ago and was tempted to buy a case or two :-)

Canning lids are useless unless you have jars and food to put in them LOL Still not finished but by the end of this fall these shelves will be full and I'll have another wall just for dry goods. You can bet this is one family who won't be standing in line at the ATM for cash, food, gas or ammo if the SHTF ;-)

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn274/iluvchessies/foodphoto.jpg

charly_t
08-20-2012, 08:14 PM
My paternal grandmother and a neighbor of hers used to can 1000 plus quarts each for their families. I can tell you that I have never canned a lot. Hubby says that the best corn we ever canned was the Rainbow or Indian corn that is mainly planted for making decorations. No one has ruined it genetic make-up I guess. Best soup we ever canned was simply everything in danger of the frost one year that was still left in the garden. Immature corn ears were included in this soup. It had a good amount of tomatoes in it also and I do love tomatoes. The down side to all this canning etc. will be that people without food will be stealing it......that is where the guns come in but who wants to shoot hungry people who just want something to eat. Guess we plant something most people won't eat :-) unless they are starving. I figure we have pigeons for one thing since they get out and find much or all of their own food. Since we don't have enough land to keep even one cow to milk I guess a nanny goat ( I hate goat milk but others in the family like it ). Of course there are all these four-footed critters that keep coming into the yard. Family "back when" said that after the Indians traveled through their area that there were no box turtles to be seen. We have plenty of "Texas Turkey" here in our area :-) :-) :-) 'coons always harvest the corn so we could harvest them instead I guess. I have three kinds of corn ( seed ) in the freezer. Now after saying all this if it was a year like this one the corn sure wouldn't "make".

caryalsobrook
08-20-2012, 08:54 PM
My paternal grandmother and a neighbor of hers used to can 1000 plus quarts each for their families. I can tell you that I have never canned a lot. Hubby says that the best corn we ever canned was the Rainbow or Indian corn that is mainly planted for making decorations. No one has ruined it genetic make-up I guess. Best soup we ever canned was simply everything in danger of the frost one year that was still left in the garden. Immature corn ears were included in this soup. It had a good amount of tomatoes in it also and I do love tomatoes. The down side to all this canning etc. will be that people without food will be stealing it......that is where the guns come in but who wants to shoot hungry people who just want something to eat. Guess we plant something most people won't eat :-) unless they are starving. I figure we have pigeons for one thing since they get out and find much or all of their own food. Since we don't have enough land to keep even one cow to milk I guess a nanny goat ( I hate goat milk but others in the family like it ). Of course there are all these four-footed critters that keep coming into the yard. Family "back when" said that after the Indians traveled through their area that there were no box turtles to be seen. We have plenty of "Texas Turkey" here in our area :-) :-) :-) 'coons always harvest the corn so we could harvest them instead I guess. I have three kinds of corn ( seed ) in the freezer. Now after saying all this if it was a year like this one the corn sure wouldn't "make".
I don't know you but my guess is that if someone came by and told you they were hungry, you would give them something to eat. I believe that anyone who is industrious enough to can and reduce their cost of food, would cheerfully feed one stoping by that was hungry.:)

charly_t
08-20-2012, 11:58 PM
I don't know you but my guess is that if someone came by and told you they were hungry, you would give them something to eat. I believe that anyone who is industrious enough to can and reduce their cost of food, would cheerfully feed one stoping by that was hungry.:)

Probably but after the first 20 or 30 there would have to be a stop put to feeding people. I have known some people who were very near starving many years ago. One neighbor who raised a family in the late '30s and '40s told me that she overheard her husband telling someone many years after the kids were all grown and gone from home, "there were many days when I didn't know what we were going to eat but Louise (his
wife ) always found something to fix a meal from." I know what they ate. They ate........... wild greens, corn bread ( meal from their own corn ) and fish from the creek. In spring time they ate wild onions and eggs till the onions got to tough to eat. It was a fight many years to keep the chickens alive because the hawks liked chicken very, very well. They managed to keep enough chickens alive to have fresh eggs for their family. Now days some smart aleck kid with a government job would be arresting them for something.

road kill
08-21-2012, 05:50 AM
My Grand parents "root cellar" was always a treat!

Canned;
Squirrel
Rabbit
Quail
Chicken & dumplings (open...heat & eat!!!!)
Tomatoes
Strawberries
Blackberries
Blueberries
Peaches
Collared Greens
String Beans
Squash
All kinds of nuts (walnuts pecans peanuts) by the bushell basket

Aged beef & pork (fat back)

Chickens & eggs every day
Fresh milk every day

We ate like KINGS!!!!

Way better than people eat now!

How many of you have ever been in a "root cellar?"

Marty Lee
08-21-2012, 06:34 AM

Canned;
Squirrel
Rabbit
Quail
Tomatoes
Strawberries
Blackberries
Blueberries
Peaches
Collared Greens
String Beans
Squash

Fresh milk every day

We ate like KINGS!!!!

Stan we went and looked at a house last weekend where the industrious old gentleman has turned his root cellar into a "man cave".......offer goes in today. maybe i can posts pics later LOL

featherqwest
08-21-2012, 06:46 AM
Well I can attest for living on little or no money. I had to scrape for almost 8 years to feed my family and dogs. Most of you don't understand what it is like to be a Vet with disabilities and raise a child with Autism. I think some people have lost perspective of what is really important in this country or lets say all around the world. When you have little or nothing and you have to sell everything in your house to pay for gas money. You have no place to go except back to the place you call home. I was one of the lucky ones. How about you all. Can you say that you have been to hell and back. I have practiced survival skills for years. The government trained me when I was 15 in the Job Corps. Now I am living fine doing what I like to do. Running a small business. You don't have to own a big ranch or have expensive things to be happy.

BonMallari
08-21-2012, 08:07 AM

Canned;
Squirrel
Rabbit
Quail
Tomatoes
Strawberries
Blackberries
Blueberries
Peaches
Collared Greens
String Beans
Squash

Fresh milk every day

We ate like KINGS!!!!

Never actually seen one....didn't Granny have one in the Beverly Hillbillies....was it an actual basement or was it like a shed out back

road kill
08-21-2012, 08:16 AM
Never actually seen one....didn't Granny have one in the Beverly Hillbillies....was it an actual basement or was it like a shed out back
Ours was underground.
Never too hot, never too cold.

Had a mound, field stones and a wooden door at the entrance.
Set of stairs and everything was underground.

ARay11
08-21-2012, 09:52 AM
ours is about an 8x8 underground cellar. concrete walls, concrete stairs, metal door... enough room for the family to camp out in case of a tornado, and walls lined with shelves for canned goods.... one of these days I will can more than just applebutter LOL :razz:

gmhr1
08-21-2012, 09:53 AM
First thing Michelle Obama did was plant a garden maybe she was preparing for the next 4 yrs in case hes re elected.

charly_t
08-21-2012, 01:33 PM
Well I can attest for living on little or no money. I had to scrape for almost 8 years to feed my family and dogs. Most of you don't understand what it is like to be a Vet with disabilities and raise a child with Autism. I think some people have lost perspective of what is really important in this country or lets say all around the world. When you have little or nothing and you have to sell everything in your house to pay for gas money. You have no place to go except back to the place you call home. I was one of the lucky ones. How about you all. Can you say that you have been to hell and back. I have practiced survival skills for years. The government trained me when I was 15 in the Job Corps. Now I am living fine doing what I like to do. Running a small business. You don't have to own a big ranch or have expensive things to be happy.

I have always said..........you can only wear one suit of clothes at a time, drive one car ( pick-up etc. ) at a time and sleep in one bed at a time. People really don't need much to be happy and comfortable. The older I get the less I find that I require to be comfortabe and content.

road kill
08-21-2012, 01:37 PM
"A man's wealth is measured by how happy he is with what he has."

I live by that, be in the moment!!!:cool:

charly_t
08-21-2012, 01:39 PM
Ours was underground.
Never too hot, never too cold.

Had a mound, field stones and a wooden door at the entrance.
Set of stairs and everything was underground.

And it smells wonderfull ! Or am I the only person who thinks that underground root cellars smell good. We are not blessed with a root cellar here on this place. No place really to put one where it would not have water running into it. :-(

featherqwest
08-21-2012, 02:52 PM
Well said Charley. I just add even though we lived in a mold house for 3 years it was only a temp. We now live in a fairly new house with no root cellar yet. We have our rain barrels and garden. Even after losing everything it is the American way to get the good things in life back. It just takes "time". Yes I will get a new puppy and train it! I can add that the 3 goldens I have now are very nice doggies. Not Champs but great companions. :) Make do or "dew" is the "key" word. Yes I own 2 old cars I paid cash. Yes cold hard cash. No credit cards. Never again. Now the bank owns the house. The good thing is that my husband works from home. We don't have to worry about putting any "roots" down anymore.

charly_t
08-22-2012, 06:56 AM
Canning lids are useless unless you have jars and food to put in them LOL Still not finished but by the end of this fall these shelves will be full and I'll have another wall just for dry goods. You can bet this is one family who won't be standing in line at the ATM for cash, food, gas or ammo if the SHTF ;-)

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn274/iluvchessies/foodphoto.jpg

I forgot to tell you what a beautiful picture that is. When I see things like this I have some hopes
that this country is not in as bad a shape as I think it is :-)
Love your shelves also. " A country boy ( change gender as needed, vbg ) can survive ".

By the way a family member sent a picture to me of a lady with her cook book ( open ) clipped onto a skirt\or pants clothes hanger with the hook over a cabinet knob to keep it up out of the flour etc. Good "redneck" idea.

gmhr1
08-22-2012, 09:19 AM
Don't ask Obamas advice on how to survive with little or no money he doesnt manage money very well. Reports came in today from the CBO that our deby has increased 1.3 trillion dollars over the past 12 months and is up 5.3 trillion since Obama took office and headed towards a recession .... he sure likes to spend our money