PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul; Audit The Pentagon!

Franco
08-27-2012, 02:56 PM
This should make the Repubs really happy;-) I guess Rand won't be getting any Super Pac money from defense contractors anytime in the near future.

TAMPA--Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul will use his prime-time speaking slot at the Republican National Convention to urge party members to be more open to scrutinizing military spending, a position that puts him in the minority within the GOP.
Paul made the remarks Sunday when he addressed thousands of supporters at a rally for his father, former Republican presidential candidate and Texas Rep. Ron Paul, at the University of South Florida.
"Because we've talked about audit the Fed so much, we're now talking about audit the Pentagon," Paul told the crowd. "Now, because of Hurricane Isaac, it's not sure whether my message will get to the Republican National Convention, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to be able speak. And one of the messages that I will give to them is that Republicans need to acknowledge that not every dollar is well spent or sacred in the military and we have to look for ways to make every department accountable."
Paul will speak at the convention between 7 and 8 p.m. ET Tuesday, according to an updated schedule made public Sunday.
Both presumptive Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney and his running mate, Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan, have vowed to increase defense spending if elected.

BonMallari
08-27-2012, 05:15 PM
I have no problem with auditing defense contractors, their lobbyists are some of the most corrupt that are out there...case in point, when the US Army decided to change from the .45 cal to the Beretta 92 9mm, the Sig - Sauer actually tested higher but Beretta was awarded the contract, there is a whole lot of waste in military/defense spending especially in high tech weaponry, the closure of bases done strictly based on which Senators who carry the most constituents or the most clout in Congress...and the list goes on

M&K's Retrievers
08-27-2012, 05:53 PM
I believe they are returning to the Colt.

BonMallari
08-27-2012, 06:00 PM
I believe they are returning to the Colt.

The Marine Corps is returning the the Colt M1911, do not know if the Army is following suit...the .45 has superior stopping power, the 9mm had higher capacity and was more readily available throughout the world..the M1911 was foolproof as a piece of weaponry

mngundog
08-27-2012, 09:29 PM
I have no problem with auditing defense contractors, their lobbyists are some of the most corrupt that are out there...case in point, when the US Army decided to change from the .45 cal to the Beretta 92 9mm, the Sig - Sauer actually tested higher but Beretta was awarded the contract, there is a whole lot of waste in military/defense spending especially in high tech weaponry, the closure of bases done strictly based on which Senators who carry the most constituents or the most clout in Congress...and the list goes on
As I recall the Beretta and Sig had just about identical scores, with the Sig edging out the Beretta, the Beretta were cheaper in price and after weighting the scores against the price they went with the Beretta, nothing wrong with paying less for the same quality. The M1911 was used as the control group for the testing, and it did very poor in reliability tests in combat conditions.

Clay Rogers
08-28-2012, 08:05 AM
As I recall the Beretta and Sig had just about identical scores, with the Sig edging out the Beretta, the Beretta were cheaper in price and after weighting the scores against the price they went with the Beretta, nothing wrong with paying less for the same quality. The M1911 was used as the control group for the testing, and it did very poor in reliability tests in combat conditions.

Speaking from personal experience only, the beretta 9mm is a worthless piece of crap. I carried one into Panama, and thats where I left it. After it jammed on the second shot, I used it as a throwing device.

road kill
08-28-2012, 08:17 AM
Speaking from personal experience only, the beretta 9mm is a worthless piece of crap. I carried one into Panama, and thats where I left it. After it jammed on the second shot, I used it as a throwing device.
My experience was with the Colt.
I carried 2 in country.
I fired Xpert every quarter for 4 years with the weapon I was initially issued.
The "weapon of choice."

Never fired the Beretta.

road kill
08-28-2012, 08:18 AM
This should make the Repubs really happy;-) I guess Rand won't be getting any Super Pac money from defense contractors anytime in the near future.

TAMPA--Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul will use his prime-time speaking slot at the Republican National Convention to urge party members to be more open to scrutinizing military spending, a position that puts him in the minority within the GOP.
Paul made the remarks Sunday when he addressed thousands of supporters at a rally for his father, former Republican presidential candidate and Texas Rep. Ron Paul, at the University of South Florida.
"Because we've talked about audit the Fed so much, we're now talking about audit the Pentagon," Paul told the crowd. "Now, because of Hurricane Isaac, it's not sure whether my message will get to the Republican National Convention, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to be able speak. And one of the messages that I will give to them is that Republicans need to acknowledge that not every dollar is well spent or sacred in the military and we have to look for ways to make every department accountable."
Paul will speak at the convention between 7 and 8 p.m. ET Tuesday, according to an updated schedule made public Sunday.
Both presumptive Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney and his running mate, Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan, have vowed to increase defense spending if elected.
Fabulous, what an outside of the box thinker!!

While he is at it, why doesn't he ask for the GSA to be audited as well.

Now we are talking!!!!:D

duckheads
08-28-2012, 11:23 AM
Fabulous, what an outside of the box thinker!!

While he is at it, why doesn't he ask for the GSA to be audited as well.

Now we are talking!!!!:D

As well as every dept in the Federal Govt.

gmhr1
08-28-2012, 12:55 PM
Dont stop with the Pentagon, GSA I agree audit them all!

BonMallari
08-28-2012, 01:00 PM
Dont stop with the Pentagon, GSA I agree audit them all!

while they are at it how about auditing the US Postal Service

gmhr1
08-28-2012, 01:04 PM
They cant look into the Justice Dept or Homeland security because BO will raise his arm and sign an EX order just like a big ol protective daddy . The fish always stinks from the head.

WindyCreek
08-28-2012, 07:56 PM
Defense contractors are already audited constantly, all major manufacturing locations and support activities have onsite Defense Contract Audit Agency auditors and unscheduled compliance visits -- http://www.dcaa.mil/. Ask anyone who works in these facilities they can tell you the audits are extensive. What Senator Paul is proposing is and audit of the Departments themselves (the Government Departments not the contractors).

The 1911 (.45 caliber) to a 9mm weapon was dictated by the requirement for commonality among NATO partners.
At the time we were at the height of the Cold War. That is why NATO had and has as a standard 7.62mm, 5.56mm and 9mm for small arms.

As for selection of the M9 over the Sig product (the Sig 226) in addition to the cost factor there was also a requirement for a factory to be built in the U.S. for production beyond a certain number of weapons, Sig at the time was unwilling to construct the facility in the U.S. for the production, Beretta agreed and only produced a small number of the weapons in Italy before transitioning production to the U.S. Sig has since built a facility in the U.S. and are producing handguns here.

Sig was selected for a low production weapon, the M11 which is their 228 model and is essentially a shortened version of the 226 both in the handgrip and the barrel length. The M11 was fielded for undercover agents and other applications where concealability is a consideration. At one point the plan was for it to be a standard aircrew weapon it never was produced in numbers to support that application.

I carried the 1911, M9 and M11 while on active duty. My favorite is the 1911 but a close second is the M11.

QUOTE=BonMallari;1002946]I have no problem with auditing defense contractors, their lobbyists are some of the most corrupt that are out there...case in point, when the US Army decided to change from the .45 cal to the Beretta 92 9mm, the Sig - Sauer actually tested higher but Beretta was awarded the contract, there is a whole lot of waste in military/defense spending especially in high tech weaponry, the closure of bases done strictly based on which Senators who carry the most constituents or the most clout in Congress...and the list goes on[/QUOTE]