PDA

View Full Version : Bush Is Not in Tampa, but His Ideas Are

menmon
08-28-2012, 01:41 PM
The name of George W. Bush graces no chair at the Republican National Convention in Tampa, Fla. The 43rd president left behind monumental deficits and an economy in tatters. Republicans hold him responsible for the party's straying from its alleged small-government ethic. They want the public to forget the man.

Thing is, the man wasn't the problem. His plan was the problem. And there is very little in the "new" Republican proposals that would change the plan. It's more tax cuts targeting the well-to-do, a bigger defense budget and less regulation. The one place Republicans suggest real change is in Medicare. Mitt Romney's pick for vice president, Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan, proposes a Medicare voucher system that would save money by making sure that taxpayer subsidies don't keep pace with projected health care costs.

There are less radical ways to curb soaring Medicare costs, but Ryan's idea does deserve half a credit for courage. It doesn't get a full credit for two reasons. One is it would not impose the voucher system on anyone 55 or older -- that is, for those who are really paying attention. The second reason is that it privatizes the hard conversations on what Medicare should offer, discussions the public should be having with their government. What privatizing coverage does is move the tough calls to insurance company executive suites, where the profit motive strongly favors denying care.

Another part of the Bush plan is a continued demonizing of government regulation. In the Bush years, weakened regulation led to billions being stolen in Iraq. It let Wall Street do as it pleased, including speculate with money backed by taxpayer guarantees. Lax regulations created the housing bubble: Government looked the other way as hucksters roped otherwise prudent Americans into abusive mortgage terms. Many foolish regulations no doubt fester and need the ax, but the Republicans' generalized hostility to the very concept of setting ground rules shows a party that learned little from the Bush fiasco.

It is unclear why folks demanding smaller government also want more defense spending. Ronald Reagan and Bush pushed for larger Pentagon budgets, as do Romney and Ryan today. The 2012 candidates would do us a service by explaining their case for bigger military budgets. David Stockman, a former Reagan budget director and critic of the Republican lust for military spending, recently noted that the defense budget today (after inflation) is almost double what it was when President Eisenhower left office and America faced a genuine Soviet nuclear threat.

Ryan styles himself the paragon of restored fiscal rectitude, but during the Bush years he voted for two unfunded wars, the Medicare drug benefit (entirely paid for with borrowed money) plus enormous tax cuts. We should note that a few principled Republicans opposed the tax cuts as fiscally reckless and the drug benefit as an expensive expansion of government. Not Paul Ryan, and also not House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, another self-proclaimed "young gun."

The Bush tax cuts drained the Treasury of money needed to pay for what the Republicans wanted, never mind the Democrats. Ryan now calls for even more tax cuts with the proviso that they be partly offset by closing loopholes. Broadening the tax base is not a bad idea, but Ryan's plan fails to impress because it does not specify what loopholes would go. How about doing away with the big popular deductions, like those for health coverage or mortgage interest? Ryan's lips are sealed.

So while the Tampa convention hosts no George W. Bush, it has his plan. More defense spending. Less regulation. More tax cuts for the upper incomes. As another famous Republican might have said: Here we go again.

A Commentary By Froma Harrop

gmhr1
08-28-2012, 01:50 PM
At least Romney's not having 2 hours of muslim prayer at his convention. Obama dissed the cardinal didnt want him at the convention than after so much stink was made he said OK he can give the closing prayer after all it didnt look good that the Cardinal would give the closing for the RNC and not Dems BO can talk the talk but he cant walk the walk.
Wheres Obama today ? when a hurricane is approaching new orleans and the RNC should cancel because its insensitive , Obama is in Iowa and on the campaign trail for the next 3 days. He doesnt care about anyone but himself. Obama supporters need to stop drinking the koolaid

menmon
08-28-2012, 02:44 PM
Because of what Obama did by funding FEMA without congressional approval, Obama's work is already done. Unlike Ryan who voted against it. Need to be more informed of the facts. Bobby J is doing what he should be doing....and he would have made a much better running mate.

gmhr1
08-28-2012, 02:59 PM
I think Jindal should stay home its his state. Obamas not worried about it hes off having a good time, If its insensitive for the RNC to be held its insensitive for Obama to be out as well. More of that double standard, and Im sure before its over it will be racist. We wont have bush ideas at the DNC but we will have Jimmy carter (way worse than bush) and a bunch of muslim prayers cant beat that.

menmon
08-28-2012, 03:05 PM
There are muslim americans just like jewish, catholic and baptist. What is wrong with a muslim praying? You act as if it is a bad thing. I would hope they would not find fault with me praying.

coachmo
08-28-2012, 03:14 PM
According to numerous sites the jummah prayer is being led by a radical muslim!!! That probably does not bother you!! You probably are alright with the fact that obama rejected a prayer being led by a Catholic priest.

menmon
08-28-2012, 03:19 PM
None of waht you have said is correct....just more of the same.

gmhr1
08-28-2012, 03:20 PM
as long as you want a muslim President who is going to force his ways on you vote for him. So many dems have gotten mad when Obama and Muslim are put in the same sentence now its fine to have 2 hours of muslim prayer at the DNC .

huntinman
08-28-2012, 03:29 PM
Because of what Obama did by funding FEMA without congressional approval, Obama's work is already done. Unlike Ryan who voted against it. Need to be more informed of the facts. Bobby J is doing what he should be doing....and he would have made a much better running mate.

That's funny... Jindal was just on the media earlier saying Obama had totally dropped the ball. Since you think so highly of Jindal, does that mean you agree that Obama is a screw-up?

menmon
08-28-2012, 03:40 PM
No....I don't know how Jindel could come to that conclusion given $1.5B in federal aid is at his disposal and the hurricane has not even made landfall. He must have been speaking of Ryan that voted against such aid.

Franco
08-28-2012, 03:58 PM
That's funny... Jindal was just on the media earlier saying Obama had totally dropped the ball. Since you think so highly of Jindal, does that mean you agree that Obama is a screw-up?

"We appreciate your response to our request and your approval," Jindal wrote. "However, the state's original request for federal assistance ... included a request for reimbursement for all emergency protective measures. The federal declaration of emergency only provides for direct federal assistance."

I guess that if our big government is handing out tax payer money, the money is never enough for big government Jindal.

huntinman
08-28-2012, 04:01 PM
"We appreciate your response to our request and your approval," Jindal wrote. "However, the state's original request for federal assistance ... included a request for reimbursement for all emergency protective measures. The federal declaration of emergency only provides for direct federal assistance."

I guess that if our big government is handing out tax payer money, the money is never enough for big government Jindal.

Boy, how quickly they turn... it wasn't that long ago when you were on here bragging all over the place about Jindal. But since your'e such a sore loser about RP... I guess all R's are bad now, huh?

menmon
08-28-2012, 04:05 PM
The president stepped up and passed legislation that could respond quickly to such disasters, as to prevent another Katrina. The president made it available and now its not enough. I guess he will need to ask congress for more....but in the mean time Obama has his back...inspite of the politicing he is doing.

menmon
08-28-2012, 04:07 PM
Let me rephrase that...Obama has the backs of the good citizens of LA. Too bad they don't see that because this guy and other have feed them so much bulls>>t

huntinman
08-28-2012, 04:13 PM
You are starting to sound worried Sambo. The thought of that messiah of yours moving out of the WH in January make you sweat?

Franco
08-28-2012, 04:34 PM
Boy, how quickly they turn... it wasn't that long ago when you were on here bragging all over the place about Jindal. But since your'e such a sore loser about RP... I guess all R's are bad now, huh?

I said he was a a genius, wore off the rack suits and was not charismatic. Also, that he fixed the state's medical system. I do think he has demonstrated the bad side with this issue, which is strickly political. New Orleans hasn't even gotten a little rain and some slight wind and he is claiming that the Fed help is not enough! He lost a lot of credibility with me when he backed Rick Perry!

BonMallari
08-28-2012, 05:11 PM
I said he was a a genius, wore off the rack suits and was not charismatic. Also, that he fixed the state's medical system. I do think he has demonstrated the bad side with this issue, which is strickly political. New Orleans hasn't even gotten a little rain and some slight wind and he is claiming that the Fed help is not enough! He lost a lot of credibility with me when he backed Rick Perry!

thats funny because he gained my respect when he backed Perry....

Sambo if I didnt know better you sound just like the Democratic pundits, that appear on the Sunday news talk shows,spewing the same party talking points...except that you must not have gotten the inter office memo that blaming GW Bush is no longer in vogue...I would bet that you would be hard pressed to look at your banking clients dead in the eye and spew the D crap that you are trying to shovel here, but try as you must, it only gives POTUS some much needed fodder and proves that its not some circle jerk club that we were once accused of..

I respect your right to voice your opinion, respect your right to vote as you see fit...but the stuff you are peddling needs to go in the same heap with the horse dung from the Ted Turner ranch :-P

menmon
08-29-2012, 09:20 AM
I'm not worried the least bit....you should be getting a real bump in the polls right now given it is convention week and it is not happening. Now that is something to worry about.

I've watched my clients grow leaps and bounds under this president through the accelerated depreciation that allowed them to defer taxes. They like him and bash Obama in the same breath. The media has made it unpopular to be pro-obama, but mark my words, he will be reelected and you will not be able to find a soul that voted for him. Smart people know the problems and it's not Obama. But when your buddies are spewing Glenn Beck, it best to not argue.

huntinman
08-29-2012, 09:31 AM
I'm not worried the least bit....you should be getting a real bump in the polls right now given it is convention week and it is not happening. Now that is something to worry about.

I've watched my clients grow leaps and bounds under this president through the accelerated depreciation that allowed them to defer taxes. They like him and bash Obama in the same breath. The media has made it unpopular to be pro-obama, but mark my words, he will be reelected and you will not be able to find a soul that voted for him. Smart people know the problems and it's not Obama. But when your buddies are spewing Glenn Beck, it best to not argue.

Boy are you living on another planet!! The media made Obama, and they are doing everything they can to keep him where he is. But the country is on to them this time... his 15 minutes...er... 4 years are up.

menmon
08-29-2012, 09:45 AM
Let wait and see.....I'll make a little wagger with you....if Obama wins, you go on record by posting that Sambo is the smartest political mind and that folks should listen to what he says. If Romney wins, I will say the same about you.

Care to hit that bid?

huntinman
08-29-2012, 09:55 AM
Let wait and see.....I'll make a little wagger with you....if Obama wins, you go on record by posting that Sambo is the smartest political mind and that folks should listen to what he says. If Romney wins, I will say the same about you.

Care to hit that bid?

What's a wagger?

menmon
08-29-2012, 10:04 AM
If I thought I would get paid...I'd make it money....but I think the above will hurt your more than losing a little money.

huntinman
08-29-2012, 01:35 PM
If I thought I would get paid...I'd make it money....but I think the above will hurt your more than losing a little money.

If anything you typed was coherent, I might take offense at that. But I'm so used to seeing the drivel you put on here it just blends in with the rest.

menmon
08-29-2012, 01:49 PM
So I'm guessing you are not going to hit the bid?

huntinman
08-29-2012, 02:23 PM
So I'm guessing you are not going to hit the bid?

My mother raised me to always tell the truth. So in the unlikey event that Obama were to win re-election... I would be unable to honestly say you have a "smart political mind". I have to honor the way my mother raised me and remain honest... you would still be a doofus.

menmon
08-29-2012, 02:39 PM
I bet she wanted you to be honest with yourself and be a good democrat too.

gmhr1
08-29-2012, 02:49 PM
Mystery speaker tomorrow night at the RNC My guess Clint Eastwood

road kill
08-29-2012, 03:00 PM

Oxymoron............:p

huntinman
08-29-2012, 03:05 PM

oxymoron

kjrice
08-29-2012, 03:47 PM
Imagine a banker not liking Obama...that might be neck-in-neck with one of many "green" energy companies that contributed to him that are now bankrupt (easy money) that took millions in payback handouts.

ARay11
08-29-2012, 04:22 PM
The president stepped up and passed legislation that could respond quickly to such disasters, as to prevent another Katrina. The president made it available and now its not enough. I guess he will need to ask congress for more....but in the mean time Obama has his back...inspite of the politicing he is doing.

the only thing that can prevent another Katrina is to NOT rebuild a city 12 ft below sea level. ;-)

huntinman
08-29-2012, 04:35 PM
the only thing that can prevent another katrina is to not rebuild a city 12 ft below sea level. ;-)

bingo!

gmhr1
08-29-2012, 06:03 PM
Now theres an idea All these people were under a mandatory evacuation yet they stayed and made emergency workers come out risk their own lives to get them off their roof.

charly_t
08-29-2012, 06:24 PM
the only thing that can prevent another Katrina is to NOT rebuild a city 12 ft below sea level. ;-)

I have often wondered why they do this. We have local contracters still building in the flood plain close to us. Being from some other area and new here may excuse some of them. Others have no excuse. Cheap land in those flood plains I guess. Many here wanted a water park built in the lower area of the flood plain.
Then we had a flood in the middle of those arguements..........yep they got a water park but it was not what those dumb people had in mind. Don't hear anything about that anymore. Lowes had previously bought land and filled in enough for their store and it's parking lot. That flood water rose to within a few inches of the door to the store. Parking lot was covered by lots of muddy water. It always makes me wonder why they make these fills in flood plains as it just pushes the water level higher during a flood. Then there is the new street being built in the area where the fill will actually act as a dam keeping the homes behind it in higher water for longer. I guess they are counting on flood insurance but this is just raising insurance rates. We are all paying for it in the end.

mjh345
08-29-2012, 08:16 PM
Imagine a banker not liking Obama...that might be neck-in-neck with one of many "green" energy companies that contributed to him that are now bankrupt (easy money) that took millions in payback handouts.

Me thinks you may be "misremembering" whose administration did the bank bailout

duckheads
08-29-2012, 09:13 PM
but according to our left wing nut the bank bail out stopped a world credit crash and has all been paid back. It was nessecary and was beneficial to the taxpayers. And you are saying this was done by President Bush's adminstration. Oh no, does that mean our resident left wing nut thinks President Bush did something worth while?

huntinman
08-29-2012, 10:30 PM

Methinks is one word.

mjh345
08-29-2012, 10:37 PM
Methinks is one word.

Dont care who you are..... THATS FUNNY!!

kjrice
08-30-2012, 11:40 AM
Where did I mention bailout?

mjh345
08-30-2012, 06:00 PM
Where did I mention bailout?

You didn't specifically. My BAD!!!

However you did imply that a banker not liking Obama would be as "Neck and Neck" with one of the green company owners that took millions in handouts from Obama not liking him.

So tell me what handout to the bankers were you referring to?