PDA

View Full Version : Maple syrup theft

charly_t
09-01-2012, 10:02 PM
Ken, what do you know about the huge load(s) of Maple syrup that were stolen in Canada. Specifically how will it change things for you. Is this a recent theft ? Will it get dumped on the market perhaps at low prices and hurt your business ?

Ken Bora
09-01-2012, 10:41 PM
I had not heard.
It wont hurt me atall
I am in Vermont.
I am a Vermont Sugar Maker.
Vermont has Laws about maple syrup
It must be 100% Pure Vermont Maple Syrup in a jar with "Vermont"
on it made from sap from Sugar Maple Trees with roots in Vermont soil
Boiled down to syrup in Vermont and tested for density with State stamped and checked hydrometers.
Wont hurt me atall.
BTW, hunting season is upon us and nothing says "Thank You for letting me hunt on your land"
better than a decorative bottle of Bora's Pure Vermont Maple Syrup.

M&K's Retrievers
09-01-2012, 11:36 PM
I had not heard.
It wont hurt me atall
I am in Vermont.
Boiled down to syrup in Vermont and tested for density with State stamped and checked hydrometers.
Wont hurt me atall.
BTW, hunting season is upon us and nothing says "Thank You for letting me hunt on your land"

Ken, I'm sure you are correct but I'm saving my stash of Bora's Finest for us and our grand kids.

charly_t
09-02-2012, 04:37 AM
I had not heard.
It wont hurt me atall
I am in Vermont.
Wont hurt me atall.

Glad to know it isn't going to hurt you. Thanks.

The Snows
09-02-2012, 07:40 AM
Now Ken ..... are you sure you weren't north of the border trying to lock up your syrup business for the rest of the year?? :-)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2012/08/31/montreal-maple-syrup-theft.html

Ken Bora
09-02-2012, 07:53 AM
Goofy article.
Looks like a cut and dried case of insurance fraud to me.
The barrels in a locked, fenced, regularly inspected warehouse are “empty”????
HUH?
If a person were to steal, they would take the barrel the syrup is in.
What the heck did they do, put it in their pocket?
We all had a poor year and production was low for all.
Sounds like they are trying to recoup the $$$ by milking the insurance company.
If a kid steals a gallon of milk from a grocery store, does he leave the empty jug?
Goofy article.
Quebec is so shifty with its blended syrup I would put nothing past any of them anyway.
I think they stacked empty barrels in the warehouse back in the spring with the plan
To report the theft in the summer.

Daniel J Simoens
12-19-2012, 11:02 AM
arrests have been made
http://www.cp24.com/news/quebec-cops-make-arrests-in-maple-syrup-heist-1.1083694#ixzz2FSVgG5L8

MONTREAL -- There has been a break in the case of a massive maple syrup heist, with police announcing that a months-long multi-jurisdictional search has yielded three arrests and the seizure of millions' worth of stolen sticky stuff.

Three people were nabbed Tuesday in connection with the theft of a large quantity of the national condiment from a warehouse in Quebec.

About 2.7 million kilos of maple syrup, worth up to $18 million, was reported missing after a routine inventory check last summer.

Read more: http://www.cp24.com/news/quebec-cops-make-arrests-in-maple-syrup-heist-1.1083694#ixzz2FVxeBBdJ

huntinman
12-19-2012, 09:04 PM
That's a sticky situation...