PDA

View Full Version : Are We Better Off Than We Were Four Years Ago?

Gunners Up
09-06-2012, 10:27 AM
Not sure why this wasn't/isn't a bigger story:

Food Stamp Use Climbs to Record 46.7 Million People In June.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-09-04/food-stamp-use-climbed-to-record-46-7-million-in-june-u-s-says.html

M&K's Retrievers
09-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Why would the MSP, Chris Mathews, Morning Joe, Andrea Mitchell, Martin Bashir, Rachel Maddow, etc. want to talk about this?

Gerry Clinchy
09-06-2012, 01:04 PM
I just read the transcript of Bill Clinton's speech at the DNC ... he thinks we ARE better off than 4 years ago. If Bill Clinton says it is so, he wouldn't lie, would he?

gmhr1
09-06-2012, 01:05 PM
Everytime he points that crooked finger i go back to him pointing &saying "I did not have sex with that woman"

murral stark
09-06-2012, 07:46 PM
I have watched Chris Mathews. I must say, that he is very rude to his guests. If they are not saying what he wants to hear he either talks over them or goes to a commercial. I have seen him do this to Mr. Steele on more than one occasion. I can't understand why anyone would want to go onto his show if they don't share the same beliefs as he does. Just my observation.
I can honestly say that personally, my situation is better now than when Bush was in office. Could be luck, I don't know. But, I am better off now than 4 years ago.

Franco
09-06-2012, 09:35 PM
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/s480x480/549704_420013998057408_716408990_n.jpg

huntinman
09-06-2012, 09:41 PM
I have watched Chris Mathews. I must say, that he is very rude to his guests. If they are not saying what he wants to hear he either talks over them or goes to a commercial. I have seen him do this to Mr. Steele on more than one occasion. I can't understand why anyone would want to go onto his show if they don't share the same beliefs as he does. Just my observation.
I can honestly say that personally, my situation is better now than when Bush was in office. Could be luck, I don't know. But, I am better off now than 4 years ago.

Is your house worth more than what it was four years ago? The average house has lost 40% of it's value in that time...

PamK
09-06-2012, 09:42 PM
I am better off than I was 4 years ago and my house has not lost any value.

edited to add: The market rose to a new high today.

huntinman
09-06-2012, 09:46 PM

I'm happy for you. You are one of the lucky ones. 23.5 million unemployed Americans unfortunately can't say the same...

Franco
09-06-2012, 10:01 PM

The stock market is a house of cards and soon after the election the crooks on Wall St will be selling to reap their profits from the suckers. There is no way you can have a sound economy and 1% interest rates!

Real estate values around here have never gone down in the last 25 years. That's because we are not located in the Rust Belt or East and West coasts, areas controlled by large unions.

murral stark
09-06-2012, 10:24 PM
Is your house worth more than what it was four years ago? The average house has lost 40% of it's value in that time...

I lost my job when bush was in office, lost my house during that time because I couldn't find a job in my field of expertise. Shortly after Obama took office, I got a job paying more than the one I had before with no stress as opposed to the stress filled one I had before. I don't own a house now and frankly don't want to. I make a nice living and get to do alot of things I couldn't do before. Probably coincidence, but I can honestly say that I am better off now than 4 years ago.

huntinman
09-06-2012, 10:29 PM
I lost my job when bush was in office, lost my house during that time because I couldn't find a job in my field of expertise. Shortly after Obama took office, I got a job paying more than the one I had before with no stress as opposed to the stress filled one I had before. I don't own a house now and frankly don't want to. I make a nice living and get to do alot of things I couldn't do before. Probably coincidence, but I can honestly say that I am better off now than 4 years ago.

You need to vote for Obama then if you think he had anything to do with it.

Gerry Clinchy
09-06-2012, 10:31 PM
Real estate values around here have never gone down in the last 25 years.

One could say the same for housing values in my area. Houses today cost more here than the same house would have cost 25 years ago. The same is probably true of almost any area except some inner cities that have decayed over time.

HOWEVER ... prices here have decreased from what they were 4 years ago when they had reached an all-time high. As a RealtorŪ I can safely say those prices were inflated beyond their intrinsic value. They have now come down to somewhere near what seems "normal", but may have a little bit more to drop.

My perception of the "intrinsic" value is based on what the wages are for the area I live in. Because of lower prices, our area became a "bedroom community" for people working in NYC & No NJ where wages are higher. Those who are locally employed have been hit hard by the influx of commuters driving up prices. In upper-end price ranges I have seen homes losing 25% of their value of 4 years ago.

Since I purchased my home 20 years ago, it is worth more now than it was when I bought it ... but it is worth less than if I had sold it 4 years ago. It's market value is probably 10% to 15% less than it was 4 years ago.

Franco
09-06-2012, 10:44 PM
One could say the same for housing values in my area. Houses today cost more here than the same house would have cost 25 years ago. The same is probably true of almost any area except some inner cities that have decayed over time.

HOWEVER ... prices here have decreased from what they were 4 years ago when they had reached an all-time high. As a RealtorŪ I can safely say those prices were inflated beyond their intrinsic value. They have now come down to somewhere near what seems "normal", but may have a little bit more to drop.

My perception of the "intrinsic" value is based on what the wages are for the area I live in. Because of lower prices, our area became a "bedroom community" for people working in NYC & No NJ where wages are higher. Those who are locally employed have been hit hard by the influx of commuters driving up prices. In upper-end price ranges I have seen homes losing 25% of their value of 4 years ago.

Since I purchased my home 20 years ago, it is worth more now than it was when I bought it ... but it is worth less than if I had sold it 4 years ago. It's market value is probably 10% to 15% less than it was 4 years ago.

Housing here today is worth more than it did 4 years ago. The only year home values where flat was in 09. Sales tax for the parish(county) set a record last year and it will be exceeded in 2012. WE attribute it to the oil and medical economy that are huge employers in our market. Over 600 oil related buisnesses and the most hospital rooms and doctors per capta in the south.

Oil related businesses have to recruit in other areas to find workers, same for medical. Less than 5% unemployment. Been this way since the early 90's.

Folks got a little nervious last year when the administration wasn't issuing drilling permits for the gulf. Now, the drilling permits are flowing out of DC.

murral stark
09-06-2012, 10:54 PM
You need to vote for Obama then if you think he had anything to do with it.

Mr. Davis. Why so much animosity? Have you thought about seeing a shrink?;) I think you have some anger issues. You really need to relax a little. Why do you have such hatred for a man you don't even know? If life has dealt you lemons during the Obama years, smile and make some lemonade. Also, maybe take a remedial reading class to better your comprehension. If you read the last line of my post, it clearly states, "probably coincidence, but I can honestly say that I am better off now than 4 years ago." I just had bad luck during the Bush administration, and have had good luck during the Obama administration. I don't think it has anything to do with who was or is president, just timing of the way things played out.

huntinman
09-06-2012, 11:03 PM
Mr. Davis. Why so much animosity? Have you thought about seeing a shrink?;) I think you have some anger issues. You really need to relax a little. Why do you have such hatred for a man you don't even know? If life has dealt you lemons during the Obama years, smile and make some lemonade. Also, maybe take a remedial reading class to better your comprehension. If you read the last line of my post, it clearly states, "probably coincidence, but I can honestly say that I am better off now than 4 years ago." I just had bad luck during the Bush administration, and have had good luck during the Obama administration. I don't think it has anything to do with who was or is president, just timing of the way things played out.

Relax... the topic of the thread is are you better off than four years ago? It's all about the election... Most people who can answer in the affirmative will be Obama supporter's and vice versa... or most who think the country is better off or not will choose accordingly.

If you can't handle the heat....

HPL
09-06-2012, 11:05 PM
Can absolutely say that I am NOT better off than four years ago, but can't lay the blame directly at Obama's feet. Photography is a bit of a luxury item and when the economy is down, and especially when people have little hope, photography is not the first thing on most people's minds. Gasoline is also just eating me alive.

PamK
09-06-2012, 11:15 PM
I'm happy for you. You are one of the lucky ones. 23.5 million unemployed Americans unfortunately can't say the same...

I am the same as Murral. Four years a go I worked for a company for 19 years, came into work one day and was laid off. I just had eye surgery so my face was black and blue so I couldn't even go on job interviews. I also worked in a limited field so I completed a lot of job applications and was able to find a job at 50% of what I was making before.

I worked hard for that. Cut corners, took the train to work,adding hours to my commute so I didn't have to use my car and pay for gas. I got raises and worked hard. I continued to network in my field and last year finally found a job doing what I was trained to do.

So yes there are many people who are better off now than four years ago but many people here don't want to listen to that.

The stock market is a house of cards and soon after the election the crooks on Wall St will be selling to reap their profits from the suckers. There is no way you can have a sound economy and 1% interest rates!

This isn't directed towards you but there are a lot of people who are making a ton of money both Reps and Dems.

huntinman
09-06-2012, 11:19 PM
I am the same as Murral. Four years a go I worked for a company for 19 years, came into work one day and was laid off. I just had eye surgery so my face was black and blue so I couldn't even go on job interviews. I also worked in a limited field so I completed a lot of job applications and was able to find a job at 50% of what I was making before.

I worked hard for that. Cut corners, took the train to work,adding hours to my commute so I didn't have to use my car and pay for gas. I got raises and worked hard. I continued to network in my field and last year finally found a job doing what I was trained to do.

So yes there are many people who are better off now than four years ago but many people here don't want to listen to that.

This isn't directed towards you but there are a lot of people who are making a ton of money both Reps and Dems.

You are better off because of your own hard work and initiative. Unless there is something you didn't say in your post, the government didn't do it for you. Congrats to you! I love hearing success stories like yours. I think you may be a closet conservative;)

Sundown49 aka Otey B
09-07-2012, 07:29 AM
NO!! not better off

BonMallari
09-07-2012, 07:35 AM
after being a full time employee for 5 years , I was put on lay off status by the hotel for the last three years, and thanks to DA UNION, I have been relegated to the extra board sometimes working 5 shifts a week,sometimes 1 shift, but never enough to file for unemployment until this spring...and according to union seniority rules, employees that have been there longer get scheduled full time whether they want to or not...I start my 9th year with the hotel on Sat, and I am now at the bottom of the full time board, only because a few people ahead of me,have been terminated and two others quit....I have seen first hand how union seniority fosters complacency and laziness in co workers, they only do the minimum required and we are in the SERVICE industry...I need to be on top of my game, every night and give the very best service in order to get toked well, plus its just the way I am...

REAL unemployment here in Vegas is in the low teens and we lead the nation in house foreclosures and homes that are upside down in value...

and yet the uneducated, questionable documented, mostly hispanic minions of my union continue to support Harry Reid and BHO...

I am not ashamed to admit 4 years ago my income was above 70k/year...last year I made half of that...

Is there any question of what my answer is ?

Marvin S
09-07-2012, 12:53 PM
Fixed income investments were paying an average over 5% now .2% due to maturities & calls
Pension fixed the day I retired 20 years ago
SS - got a CoL last year, none the two previous years - I hate Bernanke & his ZIRP policy
Investments - have done fairly well with Dividend increases so helping us - the neat thing is our income is so low that the CG's are not taxed :cool:

We give more to charity than we pay in income tax whereas a few years ago our IT was considerably higher - for the libs :-P, even us fiscal conservatives can make a little lemonade out of the lemons ;-). I blame it on Barney Fag + McCain & Bush's unwillingness to wage a fight that would have avoided a lot of this housing fiasco.

So NO we are not better off, but we'll get by :cool:.

john fallon
09-07-2012, 01:46 PM
Gas was $1.70 / gal, a loaf of 12 grain bread was under $2.00, and my medicare Suppliment Ins was under $100.00/mo.
They are now pushing $4, $5, and $226.00 .............The list is longer but "don't get no better".

john

charly_t
09-07-2012, 02:29 PM
.................................................. ............................................

So NO we are not better off, but we'll get by :cool:.

Your last sentence discribes our household very well. The trouble seems to be the constant rise in prices for gasoline and food. Everything keeps going up mostly because of the gasoline prices it seems. We aren't young anymore so we seldom wear out clothes from working in them ( overalls, jeans, etc. and well made shirts last a long time if you spend 90% of your time sitting in a chair or sleeping in the bed :-) The younger people who still work and are blessed with growing children are the ones that I feel sorry for. Also have a care for those who have no children but are paying for the upbringing of the ones who don't work.
We try not to drive around much anymore locally and we do not travel. So far the retirement check and soc. sec. covers our simple lifestyle. If either of those things change we will probably be in deep trouble.
I had never considered cremation as an option till lately but my investment that was planned for my funeral etc. may be needed for living expenses at some point. I have told my family......"you make sure I'm good and dead before they start burning my body at the funeral home. I sure don't want to burn twice and feel it both times, vbeg."