PDA

View Full Version : Former Michigin Governor

Jason Glavich
09-07-2012, 07:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKux363Dg64

"Bain Capital did not want to help" President Obama came in and saved the auto industry"

Isn't GM failing again?

Jason Glavich
09-07-2012, 09:22 AM
I guess I should pay more attention to my spelling.

zeus3925
09-07-2012, 10:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKux363Dg64

"Bain Capital did not want to help" President Obama came in and saved the auto industry"

Isn't GM failing again?

Nope, it is well and alive and generating new product lines some of which we will see shortly. GM plants are hiring and the company is profitable.

huntinman
09-07-2012, 10:30 AM
Nope, it is well and alive and generating new product lines some of which we will see shortly. GM plants are hiring and the company is profitable.

How about the Volt? How is it coming along??

Jason Glavich
09-07-2012, 10:46 AM
If sales are up only due to Government buying it, are sales really up?

The Volt is so awesome they stopped production recently.

gmhr1
09-07-2012, 10:59 AM
GM profit crumbles 41 percent 8/3/2012

zeus3925
09-07-2012, 11:08 AM
How about the Volt? How is it coming along??

The Volt was always going to be a niche car, designed in 2006 (long before bailouts), mainly for the urban commuter. It was never going to be a big seller by anyone's estimation. It suffered from a non competitive price as well as technology the public wasn't quite ready to accept.

Businesses don't always make the best decisions on product line--the Edsel and the Pacer are examples. The Volt never became a public favorite but it unlikely to sink the company.

PamK
09-07-2012, 12:47 PM
General Motors' profits fell 41% in the second quarter as troubles in Europe undercut strong sales in North America.

America's largest automaker made $1.5bn in the second quarter of 2012, compared with $2.5bn for the same period last year. Revenue fell to $37.6bn from $39.4bn in the second quarter of 2011. The results exceeded analysts' estimates, but further underlined Europe's drag on the US economy.

Blackstone
09-08-2012, 12:41 AM
GM & Ford have strong presences in Europe and have been hurt financially as a result. Ford's Q2 eanings were down 57%. Chrysler was less affected because they don't have much of a presence in Europe. However, Fiat lost 152 million euros for the 2nd quarter.

mngundog
09-08-2012, 11:32 AM
The Volt was always going to be a niche car, designed in 2006 (long before bailouts), mainly for the urban commuter. It was never going to be a big seller by anyone's estimation. It suffered from a non competitive price as well as technology the public wasn't quite ready to accept.

Businesses don't always make the best decisions on product line--the Edsel and the Pacer are examples. The Volt never became a public favorite but it unlikely to sink the company.
Actually a series of bad decisions like the Volt did manage to sink the company, GM is only in exsistance today because of the taxpayer.

ARay11
09-08-2012, 11:35 AM

and here i was thinking it suffered from batteries catching fire, costing thousands to replace, recharging problems, and insurance companies shying away from insuring them.:confused:

huntinman
09-08-2012, 12:14 PM
and here i was thinking it suffered from batteries catching fire, costing thousands to replace, recharging problems, and insurance companies shying away from insuring them.:confused:

HaHa!! not to mention the fact that the public perception of it was right up there with the Yugo...

zeus3925
09-08-2012, 09:05 PM
If you think I'm defending that thing, I'm not. I bought an F150. You know where my sympathies lie.

huntinman
09-08-2012, 09:36 PM
If you think I'm defending that thing, I'm not. I bought an F150. You know where my sympathies lie.

No, I wasn't throwing that at you Sarge... just dangling a little bait for Blackstone but he didn't bite! ;)

Marvin S
09-08-2012, 10:48 PM
No, I wasn't throwing that at you Sarge... just dangling a little bait for Blackstone but he didn't bite! ;)

Bill, while I don't always agree with Blackstone, I think he's a fairly sharp guy & would make a good friend :) JMO.

road kill
09-09-2012, 08:19 AM
Bill, while I don't always agree with Blackstone, I think he's a fairly sharp guy & would make a good friend :) JMO.
I agree Marvin, I like Blackstone.
He and I and Bon are planning a hunting trip this fall.

But that's just my opinion, what do I know...................

huntinman
09-09-2012, 09:46 AM

I think he's very sharp too. I like a lot of his posts. He did defend the Volt pretty strongly though... Come on, its a forum:confused:

Blackstone
09-09-2012, 05:50 PM
I think he's very sharp too. I like a lot of his posts. He did defend the Volt pretty strongly though... Come on, its a forum:confused:

Thanks for the compliment. However, if you knew me, you would realize I am rarely goaded into anything.

I did not ďdefendĒ the Volt. There is no reason for me to defend it. I didnít design it, and Iím not trying to sell it. I only corrected the inaccurate statements made about Volt. The technology in the vehicle is cutting edge, itís sound, and it performs as it was designed to. As I said on several occasions, the market will determine whether or not it is a success. At this point, the price, not the performance, has been the biggest deterrent to sales. However, if gas prices continue to climb, that could change. Sales have continued to improve over the course of this year. GM is now selling about 2,000+ per month. They had sold about 13,300 by the end of Aug. While that is still a far cry from what they predicted they would sell in 2012, it is improving.

Blackstone
09-09-2012, 05:52 PM

Thanks, Stan. I sent you a pm, but didn't hear back from you. Let me know your plans.

Jason Glavich
09-10-2012, 10:54 AM
The VOLT IS A SUCCESS!!!!
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/10/us-generalmotors-autos-volt-idUSBRE88904J20120910

:lol:

JimmyD
09-13-2012, 08:07 AM
GM is now an acronym for Goverment Motors. I will NEVER buy a GM vehicle.