PDA

View Full Version : Electoral College

PMG 131
09-09-2012, 12:31 PM
I recently saw a graphic with predictions on how the Electoral College will turn out this coming November. This map showed Romney barely winning, it was all based on recent polls. The thing that struck me on this map was the vast disparity in the amount of the country that "voted" for each contender. How is it that Obama can win alot fewer states but the right states and still make it a close election ( this prediction)? We are a large and great country but the feeling that my vote doesn't really have an effect bothers me. My state only has 3 electoral votes, Califorina has 47.

Uncle Bill
09-09-2012, 12:41 PM
I recently saw a graphic with predictions on how the Electoral College will turn out this coming November. This map showed Romney barely winning, it was all based on recent polls. The thing that struck me on this map was the vast disparity in the amount of the country that "voted" for each contender. How is it that Obama can win alot fewer states but the right states and still make it a close election ( this prediction)? We are a large and great country but the feeling that my vote doesn't really have an effect bothers me. My state only has 3 electoral votes, Califorina has 47.

Sadly, without the "Electoral College", and the reasoning behind it, our 3 votes would be lost in the shuffle. Just think what would happen if the 'progressives' have their way, and kill the EC and just make the entire election a popularity vote. THEN, rather than a 47 to 3 difference between us and California, it would be around 38 million to 800,000.

UB

PMG 131
09-09-2012, 01:10 PM
I just don't like the disparity growing between urban and rural. A lady on the news the other day had no clue where the food in her supermarket came from, she just said the store had to make more.

BonMallari
09-09-2012, 01:18 PM
having grown up on the west coast, I am very disturbed that both Calif and NY have such a large media presence and such an overwhelming EC number, way too tough a combination to overcome