PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Officials

mngundog
09-09-2012, 09:44 PM
Of those of you that watched NFL football this weekend how do you think they looked in the games you actually watched (not just the highlights) compared to the officiating you typically see? I saw all of the Vikings/Jaguars game and segments of a few others and they looked equal to or better than what I saw last year, just wondering what others are seeing.

Ken Bora
09-09-2012, 10:38 PM
it was BAD today.
I mean....
how do you screw up the 2-min warning?

BonMallari
09-10-2012, 05:45 AM
looks like the "pick" play is very much in vogue amongst NFL receivers, saw it executed in more than a few games (Pack vs 49ers) (Saints vs Skins) and was never called

Franco
09-10-2012, 06:38 AM
The NFL owners only made 9 Billion in profit last year and they can't give the Refs a raise?

The replacements are horrible!

road kill
09-10-2012, 07:27 AM
The replacement refs are not good.

M&K's Retrievers
09-10-2012, 07:54 AM
I remember some bad officiating by the regular officials as well. Ed Hochuli comes to mind. Did these temps change the outcome of any games?

Ken Bora
09-10-2012, 08:00 AM
...... Did these temps change the outcome of any games?

you think the cowgirls coulda beat my giants at home without um?
the non-call and ball placement changed the hole flow of the game.
that, and no ground game gave Dallas that win.

M&K's Retrievers
09-10-2012, 08:39 AM
you think the cowgirls coulda beat my giants at home without um?
the non-call and ball placement changed the hole flow of the game.
that, and no ground game gave Dallas that win.

Yes I do. Dallas outplayed them for a change. What call are you talking about? I just read two articles (Bloomberg and NBC) about the officiating in that game. Both were very complimentary about the officiating in that game except for a missed pass interference call. That happens with the regular officials.

I did notice that one official used the wrong hand signal for delay of game penalty early on. Did that cost the Giants the game? ;-)

Uncle Bill
09-10-2012, 12:03 PM
There were several calls that were questionable, but hardly so awful that I would have 'wished' for the so-called "regulars". They have made PLENTY miscues...and certainly aren't to be put on a pedestal.

What I noticed mostly, was the 'slowness' of throwing the flag, like they needed to mull over what they had seen before they could make a decision. Not sure that's all bad, but Collingsworth was almost apoplectic about it.

I did get a kick out of the Stillers attempt to throw the red coaches flag...all it cost them was a lost time out.

The call that COULD have had implications for turning around the score, was the hit in the back during a punt return that was flagged and then "picked up", with the result of that play being a TD. But in the end, it didn't matter, since the Skins took it to the Saints, in a pretty entertaining game.

After not being a huge Payton Manning fan I was still happy to see him back to playing with no obvious pain or disability. I'm sure he has worked hard to rehab and return to playing form. It was good to watch how well his team responded and seemed to be on the same page with him when he went to running the offense with no hudle. That was also an entertaining game.

UB

Terri
09-10-2012, 08:35 PM
Since the regular refs are on strike, but the players union is not honoring the strike how do they expect to get their demands met? Are there other unions supporting them?

Terri

Franco
09-10-2012, 09:42 PM
Since the regular refs are on strike, but the players union is not honoring the strike how do they expect to get their demands met? Are there other unions supporting them?

Terri

The regular Refs are banking on the replacement Refs being a complete fiasco. Anyone that watched the MNF game between the Ravens and Bengals can see just how bad the replacements are. The game was a joke! JUst wait until a large market loses a game because of bad calls and that is when the pressure will start being placed on the owners. However, just like our Presidential candidates, I suspect the fans will accept anything just as long as they get thier NFL Football.

Uncle Bill
09-11-2012, 08:53 AM
If you think the NFL 'replacement' refs are bad, go watch or attend some MLB games and watch some NON-replacement officials screw up games, calls, balls, strikes, outs etc., etc., etc. What really chaps me about the arrogance of these officials is their ability to insert themselves into the game whenever they feel they aren't being respected enough. Doesn't matter if they were out of position to make the call, their "I'm God" attitude as they proceed to eject anyone that disagrees with them and points out their ineptness.

Their days are numbered, in my opinion. Just a matter of time before electronic "ball & strike" calling is put into the game. It's just too easy to implement, and would have no interference with the game. The pitchers as well as the hitters would find something that consistent and accurate to be a blessing. It would actually save time, much like the HR replay that has settled many time consuming arguements.

At the incredible costs of payroll and other team expenses, leading to increased costs to the fans that attend these games, having inept officials (and those abilities are getting worse every year) making calls that most fans in the stands can recognize as being a bad call, will hurry the usage of 'neutral, un-feeling' electronics into the game.

UB