PDA

View Full Version : Question On Unions???

road kill
09-26-2012, 08:32 AM
I was reading the comments about the Monday night NFL game and I ran across this;

Buzz View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message Add as Contact

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Join Date Apr 2005
Location Brookings, South Dakota

I am always glad to see the Packers lose, but this one wasn't very gratifying...

It's all good if they can take referee pensions away, and maybe bust a union to boot.

At least that's how the folks in Wisconsin seem to feel about unions.

Since our freind "Buzz" wasn't getting his way talking politics here, he chose to disply his political largesse on the main board by trying to equate the NFL referees union to that of state employees.

My question is this, should the unions get everything they want everytime they ask for it?

Pretty simple question.................

mjh345
09-26-2012, 10:12 AM
I was reading the comments about the Monday night NFL game and I ran across this;

Since our freind "Buzz" wasn't getting his way talking politics here, he chose to disply his political largesse on the main board by trying to equate the NFL referees union to that of state employees.

My question is this, should the unions get everything they want everytime they ask for it?

Let it go!!

You're making yourself look foolish Stan.

huntinman
09-26-2012, 10:40 AM
Let it go!!

You're making yourself look foolish Stan.

You must be a union man??

Golddogs
09-26-2012, 12:13 PM

Stan, the problem is not always with the Union or mamagemnet. IMO the biggest problem we have in the country today is not being able to compromise on anything. Everyone wants tp blame someone but not accept there role in the problem or finding a solution.

In the case of the NFL ref's, I do find it ironic that many Packer fans who applauded Walkers union busting are now crying for the NFL to get them back to work at any cost. Lifes kind of funny sometimes.

In this case, the Ref's, they are making a good chunk of change and should be able to find a way to agree on a pension that will work for both sides, and not be dumb about it. But, the NFL is all about money and image and I don't see a settllement soon, even with the Seattle/ Packer mess.

helencalif
09-26-2012, 12:46 PM
Gold Dogs,

I am not so sure the refs are making a good chunk of change. Last night on TV it was reported that the NFL refs make a little over $9,000. per game. Sounds like a lot until you compare that to football player salaries and the big money the team franchises make.

Helen

Golddogs
09-26-2012, 12:56 PM
Gold Dogs,

I am not so sure the refs are making a good chunk of change. Last night on TV it was reported that the NFL refs make a little over $9,000. per game. Sounds like a lot until you compare that to football player salaries and the big money the team franchises make.

Helen

Maybe it's just me, but $149,000 for a part time job is a good bit of change to me. What players make and owners is irrelevent and obscene.

The sticking point is not the salary, it's the pension, which the ref's want to continue as a traditional plan and the NFL want to change to a 401(k).

huntinman
09-26-2012, 01:01 PM
Maybe it's just me, but $149,000 for a part time job is a good bit of change to me. What players make and owners is irrelevent and obscene.

The sticking point is not the salary, it's the pension, which the ref's want to continue as a traditional plan and the NFL want to change to a 401(k).

So you are on the side of the corporation and not the worker?

Golddogs
09-26-2012, 01:24 PM

Common sense Bill, common sense. Something that is in very short supply these days.

Workers, who's demands are unreasonable, are just as much of the problem as corporations.

As previously stated, compromise is currently an ugly word, and until that changes, very little will get done.

huntinman
09-26-2012, 01:37 PM
Common sense Bill, common sense. Something that is in very short supply these days.

Workers, who's demands are unreasonable, are just as much of the problem as corporations.

As previously stated, compromise is currently an ugly word, and until that changes, very little will get done.

Who are you to say their demands are unreasonable?

BonMallari
09-26-2012, 02:40 PM
You must be a union man??

Worse than that, mjh is an attorney , J/K could not resist the set up

Terri
09-26-2012, 03:06 PM
I was wondering the same thing about the unions. Are some good and some bad? Or does it depend how it affects you?

Terri

mngundog
09-26-2012, 04:51 PM

Pretty simple, no.

Pete
09-26-2012, 05:11 PM
If their not satisfied with 9000 bucks for a days work,,they can quit and find a better job. What a bunch of spoiled little cry babies

pete

PMG 131
09-26-2012, 05:22 PM
Unions were created for the protection of the workers. The unions we have around now are just as corrupt as the compianies they claim to fight against. People deserve a good wage and safe work enviroment, the rest are all perks.

road kill
09-26-2012, 06:53 PM
Worse than that, mjh is an attorney , J/K could not resist the set up

I'll be damned, I thought he was a DVM!!!!

murral stark
09-26-2012, 07:02 PM

The worker (referees) wants to keep the retirement as is and the corportation (NFL League and owners) wants to change it to a 401k. I side with the football fans. Get the regular referees back and most likely the terrible call on Monday night probably wouldn't happen. I am always glad when the packers lose, just not the way they were robbed on Monday night. the packers are really 2-1.

Golddogs
09-26-2012, 07:36 PM
Who are you to say their demands are unreasonable?

Said no such thing Bill.

You told me I was on the side of the corporation not the worker, and I corrected you with the novel idea of using common sense on both sides of a dispute.

What I said was any demand that is unreasonable is bound to cause a deadlock in any negotiation regardless of which side is being unreasonable.

IMO, the ref's pension fund should stay as is. I have seen how well most 401(k) plans have worked out the past few years. IMO the NFL and owners can afford to continue this form of pension fund.

murral stark
09-26-2012, 08:27 PM
Said no such thing Bill.

You told me I was on the side of the corporation not the worker, and I corrected you with the novel idea of using common sense on both sides of a dispute.

What I said was any demand that is unreasonable is bound to cause a deadlock in any negotiation regardless of which side is being unreasonable.

IMO, the ref's pension fund should stay as is. I have seen how well most 401(k) plans have worked out the past few years. IMO the NFL and owners can afford to continue this form of pension fund.

That is the truest statement I have heard in a long time. The league and owners can definitely afford to keep the current referee pension system in place, not to mention the 401k

BonMallari
09-26-2012, 08:59 PM
Said no such thing Bill.

and we have seen how pension funds worked out for GM and their business model

The referees will lose this fight, because the owners control all the variables, they control the product,distribution,and the game itself...they can outlast the referees, they are prepared to use the replacements all year long,the games are still being played....even when we had the "real" refs they botched calls too, its all part of the game...the only leverage the refs have is the players or the fans..the players arent going to walk and the fans will continue to come and watch the games...the botched call on MNF was sympathetic to the "real" refs..but when they come back and they blow a call during the playoffs, will we call for the replacement refs to return ?

murral stark
09-26-2012, 09:05 PM
One botched call that comes to mind in recent memory with the regular refs, was Ed Hochuli blowing the coin toss call in the pittsburg game. I think they were playing the colts and it was a playoff game. somebody correct me if I'm wrong please.

paul young
09-26-2012, 09:33 PM
If it was an occasional bad call, that would be one thing. However, these guys are ATROCIUS. They are hurting the game on a weekly basis.-Paul

huntinman
09-26-2012, 11:13 PM
Said no such thing Bill.

Wrong... I didn't TELL you anything. I asked you a question. You need to read a little closer.

murral stark
09-26-2012, 11:15 PM
Mr. Davis,
Go over to the other thread and take the personality test I put the link to.

huntinman
09-26-2012, 11:18 PM
Mr. Davis,
Go over to the other thread and take the personality test I put the link to.

don't have time tonight... I'll do it tomorrow... have done one similar in the past for a company I worked for...

murral stark
09-26-2012, 11:20 PM
Alright. Be interesting to see. Have a good night.