PDA

View Full Version : Anybody hear about this?

HPL
09-29-2012, 09:43 AM
The guest speaker at yesterday's winging ceremony, CAPT Timothy McGuire (see "What I did today") brought up a piece of news from the middle east that I have not seen on any of the major outlets. CAPT McGuire told us about Lt. Col. Chris Raible, the commanding officer of Marine Attack Squadron 211 (the only squadron of Harriers in Afghanistan). On Saturday, Sept. 15th, insurgents breeched the defenses at Camp Bastion, the main strategic NATO base in southwestern Afghanistan. You can read a story about the "incident" here http://deepbluehorizon.blogspot.com/2012/09/harrier-jet-squadron-leader-killed-and.html . What you won't read in this story is that when the attack began, Lt Col Raible was in the mess tent having dinner. When he heard the explosions, he leapt up, grabbed his sidearm, and rushed into the thick of the battle. He was able to organize the chaos, and successfully repel the insurgents, although we lost six aircraft (the worst loss of aircraft on a marine base since WWII). Lt Col Raible was a pilot, not a foot soldier, and yet, his marine training, and his sense of duty lead him to charge into the fray, armed with nothing but handgun, and take command. Lt Col Raible paid with his life.

gmhr1
09-29-2012, 03:32 PM
He and the other Soldier that died were stationed at our Marine Corp Air Station here in Yuma. Prayers sent to their family.

Gerry Clinchy
09-29-2012, 07:46 PM
Yes, I had read the story on Fox, but did not see the details on Lt. Col. Rable. I think the article mentioned that the damage was done by suicide bombs brought in by personnel working at the base. I think the story came out about the time that the UN stuff was starting, so kind of got lost in that distraction.

This is also a substantial equipment loss because the Harriers have not been produced for many years, so when they are gone, there is no replacing them.

paul young
09-30-2012, 10:34 AM
http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2012/09/marine-harriers-camp-bastion-attack-092512/

They will be replaced; the sky is NOT falling......

I'm very sorry to hear two of our best warriors' lives were lost in this attack by terrorists.-Paul

HPL
09-30-2012, 12:23 PM
http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2012/09/marine-harriers-camp-bastion-attack-092512/

They will be replaced; the sky is NOT falling......

I'm very sorry to hear two of our best warriors' lives were lost in this attack by terrorists.-Paul

Of course they weren't the LAST of the harriers in the fleet. Of course they will be replaced (at that outpost), but as they are no longer being built, they won't in actuality be replaced. No one even suggested that the sky was falling. In fact the original post in no way suggested that, and was actually a comment as to the honor and valor of the Americans who have stepped up to say "send me, I'll go" in a time of war while we sit at home and bitch about how bad things are getting here. Personally I think you should be ashamed of your comment.