PDA

View Full Version : Social Security

gmhr1
09-30-2012, 02:12 PM
Unless Congress (http://features.rr.com/topic/Congress) acts, the trust funds that support Social Security will run out of money in 2033, according to the trustees who oversee the retirement and disability program. At that point, Social Security would collect only enough tax revenue each year to pay about 75 percent of benefits. That benefit cut wouldn't sit well with the millions of older Americans who rely on Social Security for most of their income.
___
Where they stand:
President Barack Obama hasn't laid out a detailed plan for addressing Social Security. He's called for bipartisan talks on strengthening the program but he didn't embrace the plan produced by a bipartisan deficit reduction panel he created in 2010.
Republican challenger Mitt Romney proposes a gradual increase in the retirement age to account for growing life expectancy. For future generations, Romney would slow the growth of benefits "for those with higher incomes."
___
Why it matters:
For millions of retired and disabled workers, Social Security is pretty much all they have to live on, even though monthly benefits are barely enough to keep them out of poverty. Monthly payments average $1,237 for retired workers and $1,111 for disabled workers. Most older Americans rely on Social Security for a majority of their income; many rely on it for 90 percent or more, according to the Social Security Administration (http://features.rr.com/topic/Social_Security_Administration).
Social Security is already the largest federal program and it's getting bigger as millions of baby boomers reach retirement. More than 56 million retirees, disabled workers, spouses and children get Social Security benefits. That number that will grow to 91 million by 2035, according to congressional estimates.
Social Security could handle the growing number of beneficiaries if there were more workers paying payroll taxes. But most baby boomers didn't have as many children as their parents did, leaving relatively fewer workers to pay into the system.
In 1960, there were 4.9 workers for each person getting benefits. Today, there are about 2.8 workers for each beneficiary, and that ratio will drop to 1.9 workers by 2035.

Down East Labs 217
10-01-2012, 09:17 AM
You paid into it you draw out of it, you didn't pay into it you don't draw out of it. This is not an entitlement. Stop paying anyone who didn't pay into it. They currently do. A good example is a 13 year old female, granddaughter of family friend, just got SS disability for life do to her mental instability.

Put all who did not pay into SS on another federal entitlement program and figure out how to support that program. But quit using SS as an entitlement for those that did not pay into it.

My opinion

Richard

zeus3925
10-01-2012, 09:22 AM
You paid into it you draw out of it, you didn't pay into it you don't draw out of it. This is not an entitlement. Stop paying anyone who didn't pay into it. They currently do. A good example is a 13 year old female, granddaughter of family friend, just got SS disability for life do to her mental instability.

Put all who did not pay into SS on another federal entitlement program and figure out how to support that program. But quit using SS as an entitlement for those that did not pay into it.

My opinion

Richard

It is not Social Security but Supplementary Security Income (SSI). The program is creation of the Nixon era. It is administered by the Social Security Administration and its funds are separate from the Social Security Trust Funds.

Jim Danis
10-01-2012, 09:24 AM

My opinion

Richard

I agree with this 100%

helencalif
10-01-2012, 07:28 PM
Explain this to me...

A neighbor of ours divorced her first husband years ago. She remarried but he did not. He died still single. Last year she divorced her #2 husband (married over 20 years and they are still living together). She figured out she could get $400 more per month in Social Security based upon her first husband so she divorced husband #2 and reapplied based on her first husband. She is now getting the increased social security.

Obama phones? Her 90 year old mother living on Social Security got a free Obama phone with unlimited minutes. She gave it to her daughter to use. Working the system, working the system... it irks me to hear her brag about it.

murral stark
10-01-2012, 07:44 PM
Explain this to me...

A neighbor of ours divorced her first husband years ago. She remarried but he did not. He died still single. Last year she divorced her #2 husband (married over 20 years and they are still living together). She figured out she could get $400 more per month in Social Security based upon her first husband so she divorced husband #2 and reapplied based on her first husband. She is now getting the increased social security.

Obama phones? Her 90 year old mother living on Social Security got a free Obama phone with unlimited minutes. She gave it to her daughter to use. Working the system, working the system... it irks me to hear her brag about it.

turn her and her mother in for fraud. Pretty simple really. When people start turning people in for this kind of stuff, and people get in big trouble for it, it will slow it way down. Probably never stop it completely, but it will slow people down trying to get away with this crap.

zeus3925
10-01-2012, 09:15 PM
turn her and her mother in for fraud. Pretty simple really. When people start turning people in for this kind of stuff, and people get in big trouble for it, it will slow it way down. Probably never stop it completely, but it will slow people down trying to get away with this crap.

Spot on Murral: These pages are rife with they know someone who knows someone who is gaming the system. Turn the low living thieving rectums in. Don't waste your time bitching about it here.

huntinman
10-01-2012, 09:57 PM
Easy to say "turn them in"... It's a different world these days though. Any of you read the thread about Pat McHale on the main board? People are crazy, and if some nut knows it was you that turned them in... Who knows? The obamaphone program is a joke to start with and should not even exist, like many gov't programs. It is incumbent on the gov't to control the fraud, waste & abuse. Not the neighbors.

murral stark
10-01-2012, 10:10 PM
I think there are anonymous tip lines you can call. Do you look the other way if someone is violating hunting laws, or do you turn them in using the "TIPS" line? "It is incumbent on the gov't to control the fraud, waste & abuse. Not the neighbors." Bill Davis Are you condoning the govt meddling into private lives? The program is indeed a joke. When you see abuse of the system and don't report it, you are just as guilty as the people commiting the abuse. Just my opinion.

huntinman
10-01-2012, 10:52 PM
I think there are anonymous tip lines you can call. Do you look the other way if someone is violating hunting laws, or do you turn them in using the "TIPS" line? "It is incumbent on the gov't to control the fraud, waste & abuse. Not the neighbors." Bill Davis Are you condoning the govt meddling into private lives? The program is indeed a joke. When you see abuse of the system and don't report it, you are just as guilty as the people commiting the abuse. Just my opinion.

No I would not look the other way on hunting violators... But they most likely would not be my next door neighbors who knew that I knew they were the crooks. If I felt I could do it anonymously I would, otherwise... No.

As for the gov't meddling in our lives, that is a lib specialty. I hate it. But in a case where they set up a program using OUR money, the gov't owes it to us to makes sure the program is not rife with fraud like so many of the gov't programs are.

Obama and his gang is already doing a good enough job of turning Americans against other Americans.

murral stark
10-01-2012, 11:15 PM
No I would not look the other way on hunting violators... But they most likely would not be my next door neighbors who knew that I knew they were the crooks. If I felt I could do it anonymously I would, otherwise... No.

As for the gov't meddling in our lives, that is a lib specialty. I hate it. But in a case where they set up a program using OUR money, the gov't owes it to us to makes sure the program is not rife with fraud like so many of the gov't programs are.

Obama and his gang is already doing a good enough job of turning Americans against other Americans.

I think it is our duty as citizens to report such things when there is known abuse of any system using OUR money. If I knew of someone gaming the system like what was described, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up the phone, neighbors or not. It's wrong and should be reported. IMHO

charly_t
10-02-2012, 02:01 AM
Explain this to me...

Helen, your post points out a need for us to get things changed. Thanks for posting it.

I doubt that what has been explained here is against the rules. Sorry to say but having turned in a drug dealer who was doing things against the law and seeing no results I can of think the powers that be as useless drones. I am not trying to influence anyone against turning them in because if it were me I would turn them in. Just stating my experience.

People on SSI are allowed to work and should if they are able. Not sure about how that will change what they draw though. It's a crazy country we have developed !

Ken Bora
10-02-2012, 08:19 AM
...... Do you look the other way if someone is violating hunting laws, or do you turn them in using the "TIPS" line? "It is incumbent on the gov't to control the fraud, waste & abuse. ..........

look another way, nay.
call a tip line, I gotta walk all the way back to the truck.
option 3 walk right up and get in sombodys face.
I can take up some space, in a face!
incumbent on the government? WE are the government.
be like having your gardener handle your home security?

huntinman
10-02-2012, 11:00 AM
You guys all sound real tough. I used to be that way too when I was younger. Made my wife mad all the time for getting after people for parking in handicap spots when they were obviusly not handicapped etc...

Like I said, go over to the main board and read the thread on Pat Mchale and think for 1 minute about how short life is... You get in the wrong persons face these days for a second... and it can be over. It's not like when we were growing up and you might get a black eye... These days you get shot.

charly_t
10-02-2012, 02:10 PM
You guys all sound real tough. I used to be that way too when I was younger. Made my wife mad all the time for getting after people for parking in handicap spots when they were obviusly not handicapped etc...

Like I said, go over to the main board and read the thread on Pat Mchale and think for 1 minute about how short life is... You get in the wrong persons face these days for a second... and it can be over. It's not like when we were growing up and you might get a black eye... These days you get shot.

Good post. Especially the last two sentences !

murral stark
10-02-2012, 04:53 PM

Didn't say get in somebody's face. Just pick up the phone and make a call. That is not tough talk at all, it's the moral and right thing to do. "You don't do things right once in a while. You do them right all the time!!!" Vince Lombardi

menmon
10-02-2012, 05:10 PM
Or quit complaining about it

ARay11
10-02-2012, 05:34 PM
to all harping to "file a complaint" or "quit complaining"

try it. you will see why no one does it.

voice of experience regards.

starjack
10-02-2012, 05:35 PM
Or quit complaining about itYou probably think is ok.

murral stark
10-02-2012, 05:41 PM
to all harping to "file a complaint" or "quit complaining"

try it. you will see why no one does it.

voice of experience regards.

If enough people made the calls. sooner or later action would be taken.

menmon
10-02-2012, 05:44 PM
No I don't think it is ok....but it is being penny wise and dollar foolish.

You guys don't get it....they want you mad about all these folks that don't work and take advantage of the system, while the real fraud and abuse is with the large companies that they are giving much more than a cell phone. See they want you mad at the small guy that they make you bigger than so that you want be mad at the big guy.

I guess my position is that is some guy can get a free phone or a woman can collect a little SS that she probably should not, I'm ok with that because that person probably needs it. What I hate is the folks that don't need it getting something for nothing. But that is ok with you, you call it good business.

huntinman
10-02-2012, 05:48 PM

You guys don't get it....they want you mad about all these folks that don't work and take advantage of the system, while the real fraud and abuse is with the large companies that they are giving much more than a cell phone. See they want you mad at the small guy that they make you bigger than so that you want be mad at the big guy.

I guess my position is that is some guy can get a free phone or a woman can collect a little SS that she probably should not, I'm ok with that because that person probably needs it. What I hate is the folks that don't need it getting something for nothing. But that is ok with you, you call it good business.

This post makes no sense whatsoever. Especially the last paragraph.

starjack
10-02-2012, 06:00 PM

I guess my position is that is some guy can get a free phone or a woman can collect a little SS that she probably should not, I'm ok with that because that person probably needs it. What I hate is the folks that don't need it getting something for nothing. But that is ok with you, you call it good business.First you say you dont then you say you do what one is it . I guess my first thought was right about you

ARay11
10-02-2012, 06:19 PM

They have you so brainwashed that it's a "wealthy" vs "poor" war.... you can't even see them walking away with their suitcases loaded. You are obsessed with taxing the rich their "fair share"... well, to that I say....

The federal government needs to get their affairs in order and produce a budget. Stop the GSA, VA, and all the other A's and their philadering of our tax dollars. Get a grip on medicare/medicaid abuse. Those who collect the money are responsible for the correct dispersion of that money and so far they are doing a TERRIBLE job of it.

There is not one single tax paying American (at the bottom OR the top) that has a problem with paying taxes until the abuse becomes rancid.

And, to quote a favorite uncle..... The Fish Stinks From The Head Down.

huntinman
10-02-2012, 06:22 PM
They have you so brainwashed that it's a "wealthy" vs "poor" war.... you can't even see them walking away with their suitcases loaded. You are obsessed with taxing the rich their "fair share"... well, to that I say....

The federal government needs to get their affairs in order and produce a budget. Stop the GSA, VA, and all the other A's and their philadering of our tax dollars. Get a grip on medicare/medicaid abuse. Those who collect the money are responsible for the correct dispersion of that money and so far they are doing a TERRIBLE job of it.

There is not one single tax paying American (at the bottom OR the top) that has a problem with paying taxes until the abuse becomes rancid.

And, to quote a favorite uncle..... The Fish Stinks From The Head Down.

Amen... and this fish is smelling pretty bad.