PDA

View Full Version : Bumper Boy Sportsman vs. Bumper Boy Derby Double

tke0398
07-18-2003, 04:47 PM
I'm a one dog trainer and want to purchase a launcher. The feedback on the BB products from this forum has been favorable. I'm trying to decide between the Sportsman and Derby Double. It appears from the posts that everyone uses the Derby Double.

Could someone explain to me the difference between the BB Sportsman and the BB Derby Double? I've read their web site, but I can't seem to grasp any significant differences.

Thanks!

Terry Britton
07-18-2003, 05:01 PM
I have a Sportsman and it is doing fine. No upgrades on it either.

Terry

JimK
07-18-2003, 05:35 PM
I don't own either yet, but I'm getting ready to order 2 Derby Doubles. If you look on their web page in the pricing and ordering section they list the features of web - which you probably already have looked at. It seems as though the main difference is in the electronics (see text from their website pasted below). The Sportsman has a single control transmitter, whereas the Derby has a Pro transmitter, which I think will allow you to control 2 or more devices instead of just one. Hope this helps.

Sportsman(2 shooter)
Includes, two position bi-directional launcher,
single control transmitter, standard sound system, 100 shells, and
two black & white bumpers with streamers.
List Price $460.00
Extended three year warranty $46.00

Derby Double(2 shooter)
Includes, two position bi-directional launcher,
Pro transmitter, receiver, standard sound system, 100 shells, two black & white bumpers with streamers, and manual.
List Price $610.00
Extended three year warranty

Andy Carlson
07-18-2003, 05:37 PM
I may be wrong on this, so correct me if I am, but I THINK the major difference is that the sportsman only shoots bi-directional and the derby double can shoot either bi- or one direction. I have 2 DD so I'm not positive of my answer but check it out and see if this is it or not.

Andy

Chris Kingrea
07-18-2003, 05:41 PM
My understanding is there is no difference in the launcher itself, but in what TRANSMITTER you get with the package.

The Sportsmen comes with a SINGLE launcher capability, while the DD comes with a multiple capable transmitter.

Example : 3 Sportsmen = 3 Transmitters required
3 Derby Doubles = 1 Transmitter required

YO, AARON !!! Here's a perfect opportunity for you to step in. :D

Got the servo yesterday, btw, old one on its way back to you. THANKS !

Andy Carlson
07-18-2003, 05:44 PM
I was way off base, oops! :oops:

Andy

Polock
07-19-2003, 08:39 PM
The difference is people that the sportsman can only be launched using the controller that comes with it.
The DD has a transmitter that allows you to control and launch up to 4 DD's.
So if yer only gonna buy one, get the sportsman. If yer gonna add on, buy the DD.
The product is a good product, and Aaron is a great asset to the company.

Nazdrowie................ :drinking:

lablover
12-18-2003, 05:07 PM
Chris is correct in his description!
I have 3 DD and 1 4-shooter, and I run them all with one transmitter.

Micky
12-19-2003, 08:54 PM
I don't think you can get advanced sound with the Sportsman either.

BIG DOG
01-03-2004, 12:08 AM
Micky and Chris K are correct they come w/standard sound and you can only use 1 launcher per transmitter

Cliff Sager
01-07-2004, 11:49 AM
You CAN upgrade the sound on the Sportsman model. I have the Sportsman Double with advanced sound (duck sound only on the upgrade). If getting the Sportsman, get the upgraded sound. Others have commented on the problems with hearing the standard sound (chirp). The advanced sound is loud and works well. I intend to upgrade the electronics to a DD and add other BBs... eventually.