PDA

View Full Version : Why nothing will change in Washington.....

paul young
10-08-2012, 09:08 AM
No matter who wins the Presidential election, (and I believe Romney will win, until last week I thought it would be Obama) there will be no SIGNIFICANT change in how the Government operates.

My reason, stated in one sentence;

There are too many politicians and too few Statesmen.-Paul

huntinman
10-08-2012, 09:27 AM
No matter who wins the Presidential election, (and I believe Romney will win, until last week I thought it would be Obama) there will be no SIGNIFICANT change in how the Government operates.

At least there will be one less of the former and one more of the latter.

twall
10-08-2012, 10:00 AM
Paul,

I think you are correct. Our society has fallen to the point where it is all about me. "We" have forgotten where we came from and how precious what we have/had is.

Tom

luvmylabs23139
10-08-2012, 10:09 AM

Isn't that the truth. None of them will do what is truly best but rather try to buy votes however they can whether one agrees with their buying methods or not.
One can only hope at this point that the Supreme Court does not get another member that trashes the constitution.

huntinman
10-08-2012, 10:17 AM
Isn't that the truth. None of them will do what is truly best but rather try to buy votes however they can whether one agrees with their buying methods or not.
One can only hope at this point that the Supreme Court does not get another member that trashes the constitution.

Good luck with that... they are doing it from both sides now...

gmhr1
10-08-2012, 11:07 AM
Obamas giving a speech saying if we elect him he will create jobs grow the economy I thought thats why we elcted him 4 yrs ago same promise and what do we have unemployment RIGHT BACK where it was the day he took office more debt 21 new taxes because of obamacare more food stamps, welfare, he has to be kidding. He cant defend this either can Biden theres nothing they can say.

Ken Bora
10-08-2012, 02:55 PM
I blame us voters.
too many uninformed voters.
too many stupid voters.
too many "jump on the bandwagoners"
on all sides.
if somebody puts a cheeseburger down and walks away, and a dog eats it. who do you blame?

Down East Labs 217
10-08-2012, 03:14 PM
if somebody puts a cheeseburger down and walks away, and a dog eats it. who do you blame?

The Cat. This is the society of blame others, take no personal responsibility, and find out what is in it for ME.

This is the ME generation.

My opinion

Richard

luvmylabs23139
10-08-2012, 04:02 PM
The Cat. This is the society of blame others, take no personal responsibility, and find out what is in it for ME.

This is the ME generation.

My opinion

Richard

On a lighter note, in my house it would be the cat! Piles of dog drool would surround the burger but the cat would actually eat it!

ARay11
10-08-2012, 05:09 PM
I blame us voters.
too many stupid voters.
on all sides.

quote of the day. thank you ken!

luvmylabs23139
10-09-2012, 11:52 AM
I blame us voters.
too many stupid voters.
on all sides.

Maybe we should make people take a basic test before being allowed to vote. I know the left does not agree but I would really like to know why.
I grew up in the US got A's in history in high school but still felt I had to at least do a bit of studying for the citizenship test. If a person can fly thru American history in high school and thinks they might need a brush up there is a serious problem with what is taught in school.

LokiMeister
10-09-2012, 12:32 PM
Actually, Paul, the reason nothing will change is because the power brokers in Washington only do what it takes to maintain power, their power. They don't care about us, only themselves. They will lie, yell, scream and "cave" to minority interests to maintain their power. Most things that Obama and Romney said in the debate are either wrong, lies or half-truths.

It's like the old joke about how you can tell if a lawyer is lying? His mouth is moving.

BonMallari
10-09-2012, 12:42 PM
since the prospects of the Congress imposing term limits on themselves has zero chance in the current political spectrum...the next best thing we could do is to get rid of lobbyists....all of them....and yes I know that may include the gun lobby...but when the NRA gives Harry Reid an A rating, I look at them with some skepticism

lobbying is nothing more than a legal form of bribery...when lobbyists have the ear of the Congress ahead of their constituents something has to change

PamK
10-09-2012, 01:15 PM
35 states had some type of early voting started before the first debate. A lot of people are just voting along party lines.

luvmylabs23139
10-09-2012, 01:25 PM
35 states had some type of early voting started before the first debate. A lot of people are just voting along party lines.

Early voting needs to be gone. ONly allow those that have a true ligit reason to vote absentee do so. Everyone else needs to get their butt to the booth on election day if they really want to vote

BonMallari
10-09-2012, 03:12 PM
Early voting needs to be gone. ONly allow those that have a true ligit reason to vote absentee do so. Everyone else needs to get their butt to the booth on election day if they really want to vote

WHY , I plan on being among the first in line to vote early on Oct 20, I plan on being in a duck blind or in a deer stand on Nov 6

LokiMeister
10-09-2012, 03:16 PM
WHY , I plan on being among the first in line to vote early on Oct 20, I plan on being in a duck blind or in a deer stand on Nov 6

Because the right to vote is more important than the right to hunt. Just because a sitting president wants to give everyone the opportunity to vote him in again doesn't make it right. You can give up a few hours...

BonMallari
10-09-2012, 04:10 PM
Because the right to vote is more important than the right to hunt. Just because a sitting president wants to give everyone the opportunity to vote him in again doesn't make it right. You can give up a few hours...

so who is being the more responsible voter : someone who takes the time to actually go and cast their vote early or the one that has to be coaxed into getting their butt off the couch on Tues Nov 6...I dont know about other states but in Nevada, early voting favors R voters and seniors....If it gets more people to the polls then I am in favor of it

LokiMeister
10-09-2012, 04:14 PM
so who is being the more responsible voter : someone who takes the time to actually go and cast their vote early or the one that has to be coaxed into getting their butt off the couch on Tues Nov 6...

If they both vote, neither...

I dont know about other states but in Nevada, early voting favors R voters and seniors....If it gets more people to the polls then I am in favor of it

Voting data shows as more people vote, the results are skewed to the D's.

gmhr1
10-09-2012, 08:32 PM
Suffolk Polling will not poll VA FL or NC any more they give those states to Romney

JustinS
10-10-2012, 10:10 AM
I have tried to stay up to date and listen to the debate but really how can you tell who is being more honest or sincere i am not a huge fan of any politician right now I will go with Romney just to see if he can change the path we are headed down

menmon
10-10-2012, 11:32 AM
I have tried to stay up to date and listen to the debate but really how can you tell who is being more honest or sincere i am not a huge fan of any politician right now I will go with Romney just to see if he can change the path we are headed down

That would be a mistake. It took the country 15yrs to recover from the great depression. Mainly because of bad monetary and fiscal policy at the onset. Because of actions the Obama administration has taken we avoided a depression while Europe who is making all the same mistakes we made in the 30s is in a great depression. The fact that unemployment is 7.8% speaks volumes to how well this president managed the crisis while parts of Europe have 20+% unemployment.

See the republicans want to blame the current stay of the economy on Obama when the 8 years of GW put us in the position. Things are improving notably now...new construction has begun, oil and gas production is higher than it ever has been in the US, manufacturing jobs are coming back to the US and there are countless unfilled jobs that people do not have the skills to do, but the Obama administration is putting money towards retraining and helping people that have been misplaced with longer unemployment benefits.

Yes the debt has increased significantly, but it did not happen because of what Obama did, it has happened because of the contraction of the economy and loss of revenue.

Don't let them get your vote by blaming their fail policies on Obama.

Ken Bora
10-10-2012, 11:43 AM
That would be a mistake. It took the country 15yrs to recover from the great depression. Mainly because of bad monetary and fiscal policy at the onset. . . . . .

Investment remained volatile during the period of the 1930's, in part because of the uncertainty created for business by the radical and shifting policies of the Roosevelt New Deal. Who has radical and shifting policies now? hhhmmmmm? Lets ponder this a bit.

huntinman
10-10-2012, 11:53 AM
That would be a mistake. It took the country 15yrs to recover from the great depression. Mainly because of bad monetary and fiscal policy at the onset. Because of actions the Obama administration has taken we avoided a depression while Europe who is making all the same mistakes we made in the 30s is in a great depression. The fact that unemployment is 7.8% speaks volumes to how well this president managed the crisis while parts of Europe have 20+% unemployment.

See the republicans want to blame the current stay of the economy on Obama when the 8 years of GW put us in the position. Things are improving notably now...new construction has begun, oil and gas production is higher than it ever has been in the US, manufacturing jobs are coming back to the US and there are countless unfilled jobs that people do not have the skills to do, but the Obama administration is putting money towards retraining and helping people that have been misplaced with longer unemployment benefits.

Yes the debt has increased significantly, but it did not happen because of what Obama did, it has happened because of the contraction of the economy and loss of revenue.

too late menmon. Obama has been exposed for the fraud he is. Get prepared for a long hard night on election night and a bad hangover the next day.

Jason Glavich
10-10-2012, 01:01 PM

Longer unemployment benefits train people to stay on unemployment. I knwo fo jobs where people refuse the interview offer because they only applied to get unemployment, it required you to apply for 2 jobs a week. There is not a need to retrain people to most jobs that are out there. Either you have the skills or can learn them OJT, Obama is not helping to retrain anyone except by retraining THEM TO DEPEND ON THE GOV TO HELP THEM! If I need a new job I learn a new skill or rely on the skills I have. But then again Obama is retraing people just like "he" killed OBL, He saved the Auto industry, He saved the healthcare of millions, he created shovel ready jobs and lowered my healthcare costs...

menmon
10-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Longer unemployment benefits train people to stay on unemployment. I knwo fo jobs where people refuse the interview offer because they only applied to get unemployment, it required you to apply for 2 jobs a week. There is not a need to retrain people to most jobs that are out there. Either you have the skills or can learn them OJT, Obama is not helping to retrain anyone except by retraining THEM TO DEPEND ON THE GOV TO HELP THEM! If I need a new job I learn a new skill or rely on the skills I have. But then again Obama is retraing people just like "he" killed OBL, He saved the Auto industry, He saved the healthcare of millions, he created shovel ready jobs and lowered my healthcare costs...

I'm sure there are folks working the system....but I can tell you for a fact someone working for me a few months does not make them elgible unless I lay them off.

Jason Glavich
10-10-2012, 03:36 PM
I'm sure there are folks working the system....but I can tell you for a fact someone working for me a few months does not make them elgible unless I lay them off.

Some not all states just require you to apply for a job, you do not have to take it. Eligibility for Unemployed Benefits are not what I was talking about. I am talking about those getting it who have to apply to keep getting it. No one is eligible if they quit or get fired so of course lay off or downsize whatever you want to call it is the "only way" except it really isn't. I am not sure how your comment is relevent to the fact that people are milking the system daily and you may think no one can get it if you do not say so, but plenty contest it and get it when they do not rate it. If someone is working then I would not consider them milking the Unemployment system. It is a good safety net but it is abused and overused.

menmon
10-10-2012, 03:39 PM
I'm sure that people are abusing it, but I'm also sure that many need the time to find a job or learn to do something else. Kind of like the death penalty, if it kills one man that is not guilty, it is not worth the risk.

So if it helps people that really need it and bad folks abuse it along the way, so be it

LokiMeister
10-10-2012, 03:42 PM
...Unemployment system. It is a good safety net but it is abused and overused.

And in Wisconsin, the administrative Law Beatches are so against the small business owners (read LIBERAL) that anyone that is fired automatically wins unless they commit murder.

LokiMeister
10-10-2012, 03:44 PM
I'm sure that people are abusing it, but I'm also sure that many need the time to find a job or learn to do something else. Kind of like the death penalty, if it kills one man that is not guilty, it is not worth the risk.

So if it helps people that really need it and bad folks abuse it along the way, so be it

Jason, with an attitude like this, we will never win.

paul young
11-07-2012, 10:44 AM
Well, the dust has settled. The political landscape has not been altered, for the most part.

When I started this thread, I was going to follow up the election results to say what I'm about to say regardless of who won the Presidency or which party was in control of the House and Senate.

I hope with all my heart that those in power can find some way to work together for the good of the American people. I know that's a long shot, but I know it can be done. What is has not always been so. Our leaders and Representatives can change the way they do business. It just takes commitment from everyone involved to do the hard work required.

I really, truly, hope I was wrong concerning the title of this thread. God bless America and may God bless you all.- Paul