PDA

View Full Version : Fact Checking POTUS Debate #2

Gerry Clinchy
10-17-2012, 11:21 AM
“There are millions of women all across the country who rely on Planned Parenthood for mammograms, for cervical cancer screenings,” Obama claimed.
---------
When the Komen Foundation announced in February that it would no longer provide grants to Planned Parenthood—partly due to the fact that Planned Parenthood does not directly provide mammograms (http://www.retrievertraining.net/2012/09/07/2012/02/02/why-did-komen-stop-planned-parenthood-doesnt-do-mammograms/)– its ideological and political supporters sprang into action. They decried Komen’s decision to eliminate funding for this imagined provider of mammograms. Planned Parenthood’s Executive Director, Cecile Richards, , made the claim (http://liveaction.org/blog/planned-parenthood-ceos-false-mammogram-claim/). So did President Obama (http://www.retrievertraining.net/2012/09/07/2012/04/06/obama-misleads-falsely-claims-planned-parenthood-does-mammograms/). And an unsuspecting public was led to believe that such bold claims, by people who should know, must be true.

Planned Parenthood itself has admitted that it does not perform mammograms for women — something the Komen for the Cure breast cancer charity confirmed last year (http://www.retrievertraining.net/2012/08/21/2012/05/28/2012/05/04/2011/04/18/komen-admits-planned-parenthood-grants-dont-get-women-mammograms/).

LifeNews.com and pro-life blogger Jill Stanek followed up with phone calls (http://www.retrievertraining.net/2012/08/21/2012/05/28/2012/05/04/2012/04/06/2011/02/24/planned-parenthood-falsely-uses-mammograms-to-defend-tax-funding/)to various Planned Parenthood centers and confirmed they do not do mammograms.

Then, the organization Live Action released videotaped footage of calls (http://www.retrievertraining.net/2012/08/21/2012/05/28/2012/05/04/2011/03/30/calls-confirm-planned-parenthood-misleads-on-offering-mammograms/) to 30 Planned Parenthood centers nationwide in 27 different states where abortion facility staff were asked whether or not mammograms could be performed on site. Every one of the Planned Parenthood centers admitted they could not do mammograms. Every Planned Parenthood, without exception, tells the women calling that they will have to go elsewhere for a mammogram, and many clinics admit that no Planned Parenthood clinics provide this breast cancer screening procedure.

“We don’t provide those services whatsoever,” admits a staffer at Planned Parenthood of Arizona while a staffer at Planned Parenthood’s Comprehensive Health Center clinic in Overland Park, Kansas tells a caller, “We actually don’t have a, um, mammogram machine, at our clinics.”

Abby Johnson (http://www.retrievertraining.net/2012/05/28/2012/05/04/2012/04/06/2011/01/11/abby-johnson-shares-abortion-conversion-with-15k-in-webcast/), a former Planned Parenthood director in Texas, also condemned Planned Parenthood’s misleading statements on mammograms.

Too bad Romney didn't know this.

helencalif
10-17-2012, 12:09 PM
Thanks for posting this, Gerry. I have yet to see a fact check on the statements Obama made about Planned Parenthood providing mammograms. I hope the Obama campaign checks this out.

helencalif
10-17-2012, 12:16 PM
Obama never did answer Romney's question about how many applications were denied. Fact check: 62% denied on land, over 30% on water (stated by Chris Wallace).

Buzz
10-17-2012, 12:24 PM
More BS...

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/about-us/newsroom/politics-policy-issues/komen-foundation-ends-funding-breast-cancer-screenings-after-years-political-pressure-38620.htm

At immediate risk were low-income women, many located in rural and underserved communities, served by 19 Planned Parenthood programs funded by the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation.This funding has enabled designated Planned Parenthood health centers to provide women with breast health education, screenings, and referrals for mammograms — lifesaving care for women where Planned Parenthood is their only source of health care.

Planned Parenthood doctors and nurses teach patients about breast care, connect patients to resources to help them get vital biopsies, ultrasounds, and mammograms, and follow up to make sure patients are cared for with the attention they need and deserve.Many of these patients have contacted us to share their stories about how Planned Parenthood has provided much-needed breast health care and education – care that has improved or saved their lives.

If you have any interest at all in this, click and read at the link below...

http://issuu.com/actionfund/docs/closetotheheart_011812_vf_issuu/3#share

They are personal stories of breast cancer victims who were saved by planned parenthood.

Saying that the don't perform them, and leaving out that they help women with information and resources to get it done is what I would call "lawyer talk." And that ain't a compliment...

Gerry Clinchy
10-17-2012, 01:29 PM
Buzz, the statement was about actually providing mammograms ... not breast health programs.

I would not deny that Planned Parenthood provides some valuable services, but we should be clear on which services we are talking about.

Franco
10-17-2012, 02:00 PM
Obama never did answer Romney's question about how many applications were denied. Fact check: 62% denied on land, over 30% on water (stated by Chris Wallace).

U S Dept Of Land Management has all those records including Drilling Permist issues.
http://www.blm.gov/wo/st/en.html

Never trust a politician or reporter to be completely accurate.

Buzz
10-17-2012, 02:05 PM
Buzz, the statement was about actually providing mammograms ... not breast health programs.

I would not deny that Planned Parenthood provides some valuable services, but we should be clear on which services we are talking about.

Maybe people think that because they don't have the equipment and the medical staff to to mammograms that it is a lie to say that they provide them.

I say that if they get people into have them done that need them, and they help pay for them (for those who can't afford them), then to say that they don't do this is a lie. Lawyer talk...

ARay11
10-17-2012, 02:15 PM
I do not understand WHY we are still talking about funding for Planned Parenthood. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

In an Obamacare world.... women regardless of ethnicity, or income level, all have access to proper medical care. Right???

So,WTF are we doing still talking about a funny funded PPFA?

PPFA has over one BILLION dollars in assets. yes, ONE BILLION DOLLARS IN ASSETS.

So why do we need to borrow money to fund them? It has nothing to do with abortions (for me anyway) and everything to do with a proper use of MONEY.

Buzz
10-17-2012, 02:29 PM
I do not understand WHY we are still talking about funding for Planned Parenthood. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

In an Obamacare world.... women regardless of ethnicity, or income level, all have access to proper medical care. Right???

So,WTF are we doing still talking about a funny funded PPFA?

PPFA has over one BILLION dollars in assets. yes, ONE BILLION DOLLARS IN ASSETS.

So why do we need to borrow money to fund them? It has nothing to do with abortions (for me anyway) and everything to do with a proper use of MONEY.

You do realize that Obamacare is not fully in effect right? So, many women still have no health coverage.

Maybe PP should sell off all their assets so they can provide services from the street corner.

ARay11
10-17-2012, 02:43 PM
You do realize that Obamacare is not fully in effect right? So, many women still have no health coverage.

Maybe PP should sell off all their assets so they can provide services from the street corner.

Are you seriously going to tell me that an operation with over a billion in assets needs taxpayer funding? really?

oh...and as for the ACA.... check it out....

July 1, 2010, PCIP coverage mandated.
Sept 23, 2010, up to 26 yrs old can stay on mom n dads ins.
Sept. 23, 2010, FREE preventive care
Sept. 23, 2010, prevent insurance co from rescinding coverage.
Setp 23, 2010 eliminating lifetime limits

there's more...but I am tired of typing.

Let's be REAL and HONEST.... affordable and often time free services are available to ALL women who SEEK them out. We do not need to continue funding the next "kick butt political powerhouse" (that quote by the way from PPFA's CFO)

Gerry Clinchy
10-17-2012, 07:22 PM
Obama's Rose Garden speech ...
http://nation.foxnews.com/benghazi-gate/2012/10/17/what-did-president-obama-secretly-say-about-libya-after-debate-was-over

This is ABC news coverage. I wanted to hear the whole thing again myself. In this speech he does NOT mention the video directly. It does appear that his phrase "acts of terror" was referring to 9/11/2001 since it followed his reference to that event. He does not use the word "terrorist" in the speech.

The reporter coverage following the speech alludes to the video, making it seem that although it wasn't part of the "official" speech it was additional information given to the media. That is unclear, however. I think that Carney's later comments (not sure which day) was when the video story had begun to "gel" as the reason for the attack.

Buzz
10-17-2012, 08:58 PM
Obama's Rose Garden speech ...
http://nation.foxnews.com/benghazi-gate/2012/10/17/what-did-president-obama-secretly-say-about-libya-after-debate-was-over

This is ABC news coverage. I wanted to hear the whole thing again myself. In this speech he does NOT mention the video directly. It does appear that his phrase "acts of terror" was referring to 9/11/2001 since it followed his reference to that event. He does not use the word "terrorist" in the speech.

The reporter coverage following the speech alludes to the video, making it seem that although it wasn't part of the "official" speech it was additional information given to the media. That is unclear, however. I think that Carney's later comments (not sure which day) was when the video story had begun to "gel" as the reason for the attack.

What reason would he have to be talking about 2001 during a speech about events at Benghazi? I think that people wanting to have a poor opinion of the guy will go to great lengths to project and put words in his mouth to try and twist his meaning to suit their narrative.

duckheads
10-17-2012, 09:18 PM
What reason would he have to be talking about 2001 during a speech about events at Benghazi? I think that people wanting to have a poor opinion of the guy will go to great lengths to project and put words in his mouth to try and twist his meaning to suit their narrative.

I think he goes to great lengths to not come out and directly say it was a terrorist attack. If he would come out and called it what it is then there would be no putting words in his mouth. Just like the Fort Hood terrorist attack which it is not being called. If he would be clear there would no question as to what he means but he will not come out and say it directly!

huntinman
10-17-2012, 09:32 PM
Speaking of going to great lengths... Obama has gone to great lengths to deceive the public about many things, especially his past and his own record from day one.

charly_t
10-17-2012, 10:46 PM
.................................................. ..............................................
.................................................. .........

Never trust a politician or reporter to be completely accurate.

This is one of your best statements ever !

Gerry Clinchy
10-17-2012, 11:59 PM
Did you listen to the speech again? I listened to the whole thing because I didn't remember the whole thing, and wanted to see/hear for myself ... not take someone else's word for it.

He was referring to the original 9/11 attack because it was the anniversary of that attack & he was (or would be) attending memorial ceremonies for that anniversary. That was the connection. The printed transcript was also there.

He used the phrase "acts of terror", but he did not clearly connect the Benghazi attack to that phrase, since the phrasing came after referring back to the original 9/11 attacks. However, he also did not refer to the dumb video in the Rose Garden speech. That reference came later ... the reporter was referring to the video, as if that might have been added for the media after the formal speech.

BonMallari
10-18-2012, 12:54 AM
the one thing I have learned from the debates and the Fact Check patrol on TV and to some extent even here on the RTF, is that its a lot like dog training advice

someone comes on and say that Rex Carr said ____________....and then before you know it you have a whole bunch of people disputing what one person thinks they heard...Well I have personally talked to more than one or five Rex Carr students and sometimes I swear they all describe a different man or interpretation

Well we all watched the debate in one form or another, some in its entirety and some via snippets,and some even have the transcripts...but as these discussions unfold I find that ALL of us have different interpretations of what we saw and heard..its just human nature..to some you hear what you want to hear, to others all you hear are lies...in many ways the truth is what you make it out to be...WE ALL jump to conclusions and most of us have already decided that the opponent is full of bull excrement..it still comes down to what you believe in your heart when you step into that booth and mark that ballot..or in the case of some on here choose not to vote, which is your option too..Hope that all of you Vote for the candidates of your choice both in local, state, county, and on a National level...the success of our country depends on it

charly_t
10-18-2012, 02:00 AM
the one thing I have learned from the debates and the Fact Check patrol on TV and to some extent even here on the RTF, is that its a lot like dog training advice

someone comes on and say that Rex Carr said ____________....and then before you know it you have a whole bunch of people disputing what one person thinks they heard...Well I have personally talked to more than one or five Rex Carr students and sometimes I swear they all describe a different man or interpretation

Well we all watched the debate in one form or another, some in its entirety and some via snippets,and some even have the transcripts...but as these discussions unfold I find that ALL of us have different interpretations of what we saw and heard..its just human nature..to some you hear what you want to hear, to others all you hear are lies...in many ways the truth is what you make it out to be...WE ALL jump to conclusions and most of us have already decided that the opponent is full of bull excrement..it still comes down to what you believe in your heart when you step into that booth and mark that ballot..or in the case of some on here choose not to vote, which is your option too..Hope that all of you Vote for the candidates of your choice both in local, state, county, and on a National level...the success of our country depends on it

Got to go vote. Got to take care of OK state question 766 for sure. Taxing of intangible property needs to be fixed. Well we got more than that to fix. Anyhow I am voting ( God willing ).

huntinman
10-18-2012, 07:43 AM
Voted yesterday... I'm going to be out of state on Election Day. It was a good feeling knowing we are going to make a major change in the leadership of the country. Turnout for early voting for the first day was up 26% over 2008.