PDA

View Full Version : Binder Full of Women

menmon
10-17-2012, 12:40 PM
I have been reading that Mitt Romney did not initiate the supposed search for qualified women to join his cabinet when he was governor ...this was done in advance by another organization of women concerned with the inequities of the workplace re career paths & equal pay status , etc.

Buzz
10-17-2012, 12:44 PM
Have you seen the latest? I for one am not surprised... Doesn't he realize that people who remember might be watching???

http://blog.thephoenix.com/BLOGS/talkingpolitics/archive/2012/10/16/mind-the-binder.aspx

Hey, I know about that binder! And guess what -- Mitt Romney was lying about it.From the rush transcript (http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/2012-presidential-debate-full-transcript-oct-16/story?id=17493848&page=2#.UH4e_FFQATA):

CROWLEY: Governor Romney, pay equity for women?

ROMNEY: Thank you. An important topic, and one which I learned a great deal about, particularly as I was serving as governor of my state, because I had the chance to pull together a cabinet and all the applicants seemed to be men.
And I -- and I went to my staff, and I said, "How come all the people for these jobs are -- are all men." They said, "Well, these are the people that have the qualifications." And I said, "Well, gosh, can't we -- can't we find some -- some women that are also qualified?"
And -- and so we -- we took a concerted effort to go out and find women who had backgrounds that could be qualified to become members of our cabinet.
I went to a number of women's groups and said, "Can you help us find folks," and they brought us whole binders full of women.
I was proud of the fact that after I staffed my Cabinet and my senior staff, that the University of New York in Albany did a survey of all 50 states, and concluded that mine had more women in senior leadership positions than any other state in America.
Now one of the reasons I was able to get so many good women to be part of that team was because of our recruiting effort.
Not a true story.What actually happened was that in 2002 -- prior to the election, not even knowing yet whether it would be a Republican or Democratic administration -- a bipartisan group of women in Massachusetts formed MassGAP to address the problem of few women in senior leadership positions in state government. There were more than 40 organizations involved with the Massachusetts Women's Political Caucus (also bipartisan) as the lead sponsor.They did the research and put together the binder full of women qualified for all the different cabinet positions, agency heads, and authorities and commissions. They presented this binder to Governor Romney when he was elected.I have written about this before, in various contexts; tonight I've checked with several people directly involved in the MassGAP effort who confirm that this history as I've just presented it is correct -- and that Romney's claim tonight, that he asked for such a study, is false.I will write more about this later, but for tonight let me just make a few quick additional points. First of all, according to MassGAP and MWPC, Romney did appoint 14 women out of his first 33 senior-level appointments, which is a reasonably impressive 42 percent. However, as I have reported before, those were almost all to head departments and agencies that he didn't care about -- and in some cases, that he quite specifically wanted to not really do anything. None of the senior positions Romney cared about -- budget, business development, etc. -- went to women.Secondly, a UMass-Boston study found that the percentage of senior-level appointed positions held by women actually declined throughout the Romney administration, from 30.0% prior to his taking office, to 29.7% in July 2004, to 27.6% near the end of his term in November 2006. (It then began rapidly rising when Deval Patrick took office.)Third, note that in Romney's story as he tells it, this man who had led and consulted for businesses for 25 years didn't know any qualified women, or know where to find any qualified women. So what does that say?

Buzz
10-17-2012, 12:48 PM
The story has now made it to "The NewYorker."

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/comment/2012/10/mitt-romney-binders-and-the-missing-women.html#ixzz29Z4DVU5y

Ken Bora
10-17-2012, 12:49 PM
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/68303_4066658823301_2040304426_n.jpg

Buzz
10-17-2012, 12:51 PM
Ken, that's priceless... :-)

ARay11
10-17-2012, 12:56 PM
First of all, according to MassGAP and MWPC, Romney did appoint 14 women out of his first 33 senior-level appointments, which is a reasonably impressive 42 percent

or

the percentage of senior-level appointed positions held by women actually declined throughout the Romney administration, from 30.0% prior to his taking office, to 29.7% in July 2004, to 27.6% near the end of his term in November 2006.

which is it?

ARay11
10-17-2012, 12:57 PM
First of all, according to MassGAP and MWPC, Romney did appoint 14 women out of his first 33 senior-level appointments, which is a reasonably impressive 42 percent

However, as I have reported before, those were almost all to head departments and agencies that he didn't care about -- and in some cases, that he quite specifically wanted to not really do anything. None of the senior positions Romney cared about -- budget, business development, etc. -- went to women

so he didnt care about 42% of his cabinet posts?

Franco
10-17-2012, 01:02 PM
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s480x480/643915_447456295320448_465798893_n.jpg

Buzz
10-17-2012, 01:02 PM
I think you're getting stuck in the weeds.

Romney said last night that all men applied for positions. He wondered why no women and that he specifically went out and had this binder of qualified women put together.

That was apparently not true...

menmon
10-17-2012, 01:17 PM
Women should feel relieved that they are now going to be able to go home and cook and clean for your husband if Romney is elected. Oh yea if you don’t have a husband by choice and have children you might want to hear his other comment.

On the subject of one parent families, I know a lot of single parents that did a great job raising your kids, but just think how much better they would have been with two parents, according to Romney. He has a plan to make divorce illegal, he just has to appoint a few more judges.

Uncle Bill
10-17-2012, 01:48 PM
He has a plan to make divorce illegal, he just has to appoint a few more judges.

And you wonder why you get called names???? How moronic must you be to make a statement like that?

UB

Jason Glavich
10-17-2012, 01:59 PM
Wow Divorce is on the table as new law. You heard it here first folks.

Simple point he was making was that people who come from 2 parent homes have a better chance in life, more money more successful etc.

menmon
10-17-2012, 02:23 PM
Wow Divorce is on the table as new law. You heard it here first folks.

Simple point he was making was that people who come from 2 parent homes have a better chance in life, more money more successful etc.

I would like to see a statistic on millionaires on the subject.

Anyway...short of doing away with divorce...nothing a president can do about it.

Daniel J Simoens
10-17-2012, 03:20 PM
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s480x480/283400_166879426783515_1292742309_n.jpg

gmhr1
10-17-2012, 03:30 PM
My daughters a teacher of low income kids very few have 2 parents and it reflects in the kids. God forbid we get back to a country that believes in marriage instead of shacking up having kids without being married and having kids to get more welfare money .

ARay11
10-17-2012, 03:47 PM
My daughters a teacher of low income kids very few have 2 parents and it reflects in the kids. God forbid we get back to a country that believes in marriage instead of shacking up having kids without being married and having kids to get more welfare money .

it's ok cyndi... the only way a lib can make changes in america is to institute more regulation... so, when they hear Romney talk about folks waiting until they get married to have kids, they automatically jump to the conclusion that he intends to sign it into law (most likely by circumvention of congress). They only know it "their" way.

ARay11
10-17-2012, 06:10 PM
Did Mr. Romney "lie" about the number of jobs women have lost in the last 4 years? "Fact checkers" say yes. But other data says not so fast.

Organization self-titled "Fact Check Dot Org": "Romney claimed 580,000 women have lost jobs under Obama. The true figure is closer to 93,000."

BUREAU OF LABOR STATISTICS: "Nearly 5.5 Million Women Are Currently Unemployed – An Increase Of 451,000 Women Since President Obama Took Office. (10/10/12)"

Just a fun little exercise in checking the facts of the fact checkers

Sue Kiefer
10-17-2012, 09:58 PM
That whole women and binders and the single-family household made my hackles stand up.
Good thing he didn't dwell on it. Because he sounded stupid.He
better stick to convincing us about his 5 step plan. :confused:

windycanyon
10-17-2012, 10:20 PM
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s480x480/283400_166879426783515_1292742309_n.jpg

Getting ticked off at the libs is like getting ticked off at a puppy for peeing on your floor. They gotta do what they gotta do, and damn it, they're so darn cute while they're doing it.
Borrowed from a cousin I never met but already love. :)

huntinman
10-17-2012, 10:34 PM
That whole women and binders and the single-family household made my hackles stand up.
Good thing he didn't dwell on it. Because he sounded stupid.
Be mnbhgtter stick to convincing us about his 5 step plan. :confused:

You must have been looking for a reason to get ticked off if that did it for you...

Sue Kiefer
10-17-2012, 10:38 PM
I believe that I said it made my hackles stand up.
Not pissed off or even ticked off.
Sue

huntinman
10-17-2012, 10:43 PM
Sue

OK... Your hackles are up. Might want to see a doctor.

BonMallari
10-17-2012, 11:51 PM
Sue

better call your guy to rip someones head off

http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac315/harleydunakin/PACKERS/YOUNGPACKMATHEWS.jpg

gmhr1
10-18-2012, 10:15 AM
It didnt bother me its just an expression the good part is he is looking towards the advancement of women in the work place. There havent been any reports of sexual discrimination or harressment

menmon
10-18-2012, 10:34 AM
Good thing he didn't dwell on it. Because he sounded stupid.He
better stick to convincing us about his 5 step plan. :confused:

Sue Romney thinks you should be able to leave work and go home and cook and clean for your hubby;-) I was thinking your hubby should have dinner waiting for you so you can train your dogs:D

road kill
10-18-2012, 10:44 AM
Sue Romney thinks you should be able to leave work and go home and cook and clean for your hubby;-) I was thinking your hubby should have dinner waiting for you so you can train your dogs:D

menmon, I am curious, were you always the last one picked for a team at recess??:cool:

gmhr1
10-18-2012, 10:45 AM
No he thinks you should be able to work with your employer if you have kids and need to get home .(especially if your a single mom) My husband worked for the govt they did this all the time they worked with people that had to take kids to dentists, Dr's appt, be home by the time they get home from school , without fear of losing their job its called being flexible alot of employers should take a lesson.

huntinman
10-18-2012, 10:52 AM

I'm surprised you didn't think the employer should go home and cook your dinner:rolleyes:

menmon
10-18-2012, 11:05 AM
I wouldn't trust people that think government workers are all losers

gmhr1
10-18-2012, 11:19 AM
Who says Gov workers are losers NOT ROMNEY 277K gov workers are losing their jobs under obama if these cuts go into effect.

road kill
10-18-2012, 11:21 AM
I wouldn't trust people that think government workers are all losers
I wouldn't trust people who see Government workers as an elite ruling class.:cool:

ARay11
10-18-2012, 11:29 AM
Sue
everytime Romney starts talking about "family" and "marriage" I definitely pay attention. I think he has the better "plan" for jobs, economy, foreign affairs, etc... but I am scared to death he's going to go too far and let Ward and June Cleaver come flowing out of his mouth. He's GOT to get someone on his team who can school him in regards to how that can be offensive to some who never had a chance at that kind of life.

It didnt bother me its just an expression the good part is he is looking towards the advancement of women in the work place. There havent been any reports of sexual discrimination or harressment
lol... I always giggle when the left screams that Romney is out of touch with women.... perhaps they prefer the Clinton approach to being "in touch" :-P

No, menmon, she does not. If you're opposed to the Romney plan... at least be opposed intelligently. These comments make you out to be a hack. Clearly stated... the Romney's believe a woman should not be penalized in the workplace for needing to leave to handle family business (doctors appts, school related stuff, etc.)

No he thinks you should be able to work with your employer if you have kids and need to get home .(especially if your a single mom) My husband worked for the govt they did this all the time they worked with people that had to take kids to dentists, Dr's appt, be home by the time they get home from school , without fear of losing their job its called being flexible alot of employers should take a lesson.This is called "leading by example".... We are known by our works... not words. Obama could use this lesson.

Best quote of the day today from my fb friend Ruthie:

"Mr President, Birth control is free for me, I just keep me legs closed. A good job would be nice.

Sue Kiefer
10-18-2012, 11:45 AM
I love you guys. "IF" I was all gushing about Romney than I'd be the cats meeow. But I said he made my hackles stand up then I need to see a Doctor.
You guys make me laugh.
Sue

huntinman
10-18-2012, 11:47 AM
I love you guys. "IF" I was all gushing about Romney than I'd be the cats meeow. But I said he made my hackles stand up then I need to see a Doctor.
You guys make me laugh.
Sue

Just to get the hackles checked... I don't care if you like Romney;-)

Sue Kiefer
10-18-2012, 11:56 AM
I know Bill you ARE that get the zinger in there. Get the last word kind of guy I got it. I'll call the doctor right away. LOL
Sue

road kill
10-18-2012, 12:01 PM
You guys make me laugh.
Sue

More like the "BEES KNEES" to me Sue!!!;)

Sue Kiefer
10-18-2012, 12:03 PM
You guys are crazy .:)
Sue

menmon
10-18-2012, 12:03 PM
Stan I was ussually picked 3rd. Speed first then some big to hide behind. They called me Big E...I was the heavy and I blocked for the little guy and still do

Sue Kiefer
10-18-2012, 12:05 PM
Do you think that Bill Clinton loaned Romney "HIS" binder full of women.? :)

Suppose to be a funny guys. Lighten up.
Smile a little.
I am finding way too much humor here to take it too serious.
Sue

menmon
10-18-2012, 12:06 PM
He doesn't but he values them and knows that they are improtant to the wellbeing of society as opposed to what your guy thinks...let do away with them so we can have folks making more guns and bombs and give an unneeded tax cut to the rich

road kill
10-18-2012, 12:31 PM
Do you think that Bill Clinton loaned Romney "HIS" binder full of women.? :)

Suppose to be a funny guys. Lighten up.
Smile a little.
I am finding way too much humor here to take it too serious.
Sue
If you only knew how dead on you are!!!!:cool:

menmon
10-18-2012, 02:55 PM
Multiple wives is ok in Utah...why would anyone want more than one wife. One is plenty. Can you just imagine answering to more than one. Can I go hunting? NO NO. Can I get that puppy? NO NO Can I buy that new shotgun? NO NO Some of these mormons have many more than two so it would sound more like NO NO NO NO NO.....

Golddogs
10-18-2012, 03:20 PM
Multiple wives is ok in Utah...why would anyone want more than one wife. One is plenty. Can you just imagine answering to more than one. Can I go hunting? NO NO. Can I get that puppy? NO NO Can I buy that new shotgun? NO NO Some of these mormons have many more than two so it would sound more like NO NO NO NO NO.....

While this is not really the case with the main Mormon church or most of those who practice, I do find a touch of irony in Romney being soooo opposed to same sex marrage and yet multiple wives is OK with some practicing Mormons. Humm.............Yep, a touch of irony.

M&K's Retrievers
10-18-2012, 03:34 PM

As in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RQBT-M6bWM

ARay11
10-18-2012, 03:36 PM
While this is not really the case with the main Mormon church or most of those who practice, I do find a touch of irony in Romney being soooo for same sex marrage and yet multiple wives is OK with some practicing Mormons. Humm.............Yep, a touch of irony.

are we sure he's okay with multiple wives?

gmhr1
10-18-2012, 03:41 PM
He's not a polygamist he doesnt think multiple wives are ok . Obama was against gay marriage until binden opened his big mouth and the pres had to come out and say its ok by him.

ARay11
10-18-2012, 03:44 PM
awe crap I am 9 kinds of confused.... i thought golddogs was saying Romney is okay with same sex marriage and polygamy.

luvmylabs23139
10-18-2012, 04:34 PM
No he thinks you should be able to work with your employer if you have kids and need to get home .(especially if your a single mom) My husband worked for the govt they did this all the time they worked with people that had to take kids to dentists, Dr's appt, be home by the time they get home from school , without fear of losing their job its called being flexible alot of employers should take a lesson.
ON the other hand a lot of employees get really pissed when someone is never there because of "the kids" and they have to do double the work.

gmhr1
10-18-2012, 05:00 PM
Obamas the one that was against gay marriage than flip flopped.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/obama-pays-women-less/2012/04/11/id/435600
Obama also pays women on his staff less than men

Golddogs
10-19-2012, 12:00 AM
awe crap I am 9 kinds of confused.... i thought golddogs was saying Romney is okay with same sex marriage and polygamy.

Sorry man, I fixed my typo. :oops:

ARay11
10-19-2012, 11:04 AM
Obamas the one that was against gay marriage than flip flopped.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/obama-pays-women-less/2012/04/11/id/435600
Obama also pays women on his staff less than men

very interesting.

Charles C.
10-20-2012, 11:51 PM
While this is not really the case with the main Mormon church or most of those who practice, I do find a touch of irony in Romney being soooo opposed to same sex marrage and yet multiple wives is OK with some practicing Mormons. Humm.............Yep, a touch of irony.

Anyone with multiple wives is not a "practicing Mormon." You know what they say though; never let facts get in the way of a good story.