PDA

View Full Version : AARP...non partisan?

Julie R.
10-17-2012, 03:58 PM
Like many friends in the recently or about to turn 50 age group, I've been bombarded by AARP membership solicitations. All I knew about them was they provided access to a good deal on group insurance once you reached Medicare age. But I have been doing a little research and it seems they're not as "non-partisan" as they claim to be, including spending $ on prime time TV ads encouraging people to vote for the current POTUS. Is there anyone who's a member or knows about them that could enlighten me? Specifically is it really worthwhile to join for the insurance or are there other options?

BonMallari
10-17-2012, 04:02 PM
I made the mistake of joining and finally gave up the membership six months in after being besieged by telemarketers ,spam, and endless mailers..I tried their auto insurance thru the Hartford and they still send me stuff almost 3 years after I cancelled....most of the discounts they offer you can get on your own

gmhr1
10-17-2012, 04:06 PM
I joined when we were running a lot of trials just to get the motel discount but I let it expire

twall
10-17-2012, 04:15 PM
I'd say it is not worth it when you look at where they spend their money. I believe they were big Obamacare supporters.

There are other organizations out there. Here is one: https://amac.us/

Don't take this as an endorsement!

Tom

Julie R.
10-17-2012, 04:28 PM
I knew I could get the straight scoop here. My father, whose estate is still in probate, was a member and because I have his car, I have been steadily getting junk from them and Hartford since I cancelled the Hartford insurance. That alone is annoying enough to dissuade me from joining--I'm getting his and my own junk mail from them. Frankly I'm very happy with my auto and property insurance and switched his car and condo to USAA. I got the feeling AARP was a big supporter of Obamacare which was the first red flag, all those damn ads and Obama referring to the "non partisan" AARP as endorsing his platform was another. I vaguely remember reading something about them in the WSJ or some other publication as losing sight of what they set out to do and muscling into the political arena. Sadly I suspect most people believe AARP has their best interest at heart (saving money) and mindlessly send in their annual checks without really checking around.

Marvin S
10-17-2012, 05:01 PM
I envy you your youth :). was an AARP member many years ago to the point of volunteering to lobby for them, but when I asked if I could have a different viewpoint than they never heard from them again :cool:. What I did find is most of their directors are retired public employees, which to me is not a good sign. After my 1st stint did not rejoin. You can get mutual funds through them that cost more in fees than going directly to the source, so their discounts are not really discounts :(. The mail stuff is annoying - but that's not only from AARP. The solicitations from even organizations that you support is a constant bombardment & we do donate to several worthy causes, at least we think so. I've been told USAA is good but they don't want to insure a guy as old as myself, everyone needs to make a profit :). We just joined AMAC, will see how that works out.

gmhr1
10-17-2012, 05:27 PM
We have USAA I think they are the best we've been members since 1974

M&K's Retrievers
10-17-2012, 05:44 PM
I cut my card and sent it back to them telling them to cancel because of their endorsement of Obamacare. A year or so later they sent me a free membership. I cut that up and told them thanks but no thanks. I still get the magazine and crap from them. Their ads are about as annoying as NRA.

Julie R.
10-17-2012, 05:45 PM
I love USAA too; had them since 1985. Funny thing was I got in through my dad (USN) and so when I got custody of his car I contacted USAA, but they'd dropped him for his bad driving record! He had Hartford for the car and condo, so I switched both to USAA. It is a very well run company and I pay less than anyone I know for 3 vehicles. Unfortunately they don't offer farm policies so my property ins. is through the Farm Bureau.
Guess I'll be continuing to file the AARP membership stuff into the circular file.

BonMallari
10-17-2012, 06:04 PM
I cut my card and sent it back to them telling them to cancel because of their endorsement of Obamacare. A year or so later they sent me a free membership. I cut that up and told them thanks but no thanks. I still get the magazine and crap from them. Their ads are about as annoying as NRA.

then dont ever buy anything from LL Bean, Godiva, Omaha Steaks, J Crew and Ducks Unlimited....I think they single handedly keep the USPS in business

helencalif
10-17-2012, 10:55 PM
then dont ever buy anything from LL Bean, Godiva, Omaha Steaks, J Crew and Ducks Unlimited....I think they single handedly keep the USPS in business

I think I get 3 catalogs a week -- every week -- from Cabela's.

DoubleHaul
10-18-2012, 08:01 AM

Or Land's End. Buy one thing and it is a catalog a week for the rest of your life!

I do kind of like the big Cabela's hard cover catalogs, though.