PDA

View Full Version : U.N. Poll Inspectors

Gerry Clinchy
10-25-2012, 10:06 PM
Of all the countries in the world that the U.N. could/should be monitoring during elections, they think the U.S. is one of the important ones. The AG of TX has an opinion on this:

Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott wrote the United Nations to tell them, “Groups and individuals from outside the United States are not allowed to influence or interfere with the election process in Texas.”
GOP-USA (http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/www.gopusa.com/freshink/) reported:

The Daily Caller (http://dailycaller.com/2012/10/24/texas-attorney-general-warns-un-poll-watchers-to-keep-their-distance/) reports that Texas is balking at the idea of U.N. involvement. In a letter sent by Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott, the AG warns that U.N. poll watchers “do not have jurisdiction in the state and will, therefore, be criminally prosecuted if they attempt to interfere at Texas polling locations on Nov. 6.”

The letter, addressed to Ambassador Daan Everts, came in response to the announcement that the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe will deploy scores of election monitors to the U.S. in an effort to monitor conservative groups for voter suppression or intimidation.

“Groups and individuals from outside the United States are not allowed to influence or interfere with the election process in Texas,” wrote Abbot. “This State has robust election laws that were carefully crafted to protect the integrity of our election system.

JDogger
10-25-2012, 10:26 PM
Of all the countries in the world that the U.N. could/should be monitoring during elections, they think the U.S. is one of the important ones. The AG of TX has an opinion on this:

I guess you've missed the Texas commercials that play over and over again....(Visit Texas...it's a whole other country.)

;) They probably don't play those ads as much in Penn. as they do in NM, But don't worry TX is welcome in NM. We'll teach your kids to ski, and sell you all the over priced RE you care to buy. :D JD

Franco
10-26-2012, 06:40 AM
It is part of an international program to promote Democracy and has been going on for over 10 years here is the USA! We set the standard for the rest of the world and the observers learn from being at our elections. They don't interfer or influence and both the Texas AG and Gov should be embarassed for comng off as backwoods hicks!

Franco
10-26-2012, 06:54 AM
If they are not trying to interfere, why then is it that they only will monitor conservative groups? Saying the UN doesn't try to interfere is like saying Arnold Schwarzenegger was a faithful husband....

They keep the legal distance from Polling areas and the last time I checked, it is more than Conservatives that vote! They pick areas throughout the country to observe, not just Texas. Paranoia is dangerous!

Gerry Clinchy
10-26-2012, 08:48 AM
They keep the legal distance from Polling areas and the last time I checked, it is more than Conservatives that vote! They pick areas throughout the country to observe, not just Texas. Paranoia is dangerous!

If they keep the legal distance, what are they learning about our voting process? They could learn that we do not need armed guards at polling places. If they monitored my polling place, it would take them 5 minutes to witness long lines of people waiting an hour or more, patiently, for their turn to vote.

And paranoia over the U.N. may be reasonable considering that the U.N. keeps touting proposals that would interfere with some other Constitutional rights, such as their proposal for small arms restrictions, and the U.N.'s desire to collect "taxes" on various developed countries. Should we even mention the Human Rights Council of the U.N.?

I'd venture a guess that U.N. funds are being spent to provide for the travel expenses of all these poll watchers. Still puzzles me that they feel it necessary to monitor the country with one of the longest histories of peaceful transfer of power through peaceful elections. If this has been going on for years, what is left for them to learn? Maybe I'm wrong. May they still have a lot to learn, since only a relatively few countries seem to have been able to emulate this peaceful process.

road kill
10-26-2012, 09:12 AM
The only thing I would like to see the UN do is LEAVE!!!!!!

Franco
10-26-2012, 09:20 AM
If they keep the legal distance, what are they learning about our voting process? They could learn that we do not need armed guards at polling places. If they monitored my polling place, it would take them 5 minutes to witness long lines of people waiting an hour or more, patiently, for their turn to vote.

And paranoia over the U.N. may be reasonable considering that the U.N. keeps touting proposals that would interfere with some other Constitutional rights, such as their proposal for small arms restrictions, and the U.N.'s desire to collect "taxes" on various developed countries. Should we even mention the Human Rights Council of the U.N.?

I'd venture a guess that U.N. funds are being spent to provide for the travel expenses of all these poll watchers. Still puzzles me that they feel it necessary to monitor the country with one of the longest histories of peaceful transfer of power through peaceful elections. If this has been going on for years, what is left for them to learn? Maybe I'm wrong. May they still have a lot to learn, since only a relatively few countries seem to have been able to emulate this peaceful process.

One issue at a time;-)

I have no problem with the UN exposing developing Democracies/populations that want to witness how we do things. For many, it is an eye opener. If anything positive can come out of the UN is is furthering the cause of Freedom! To reject those wanting to embarce our system is to reject Democracy.

Is the UN dysfunctional? You bet! But, this is one program that helps makes us a beacon to those wanting a system similar to ours, which is a good thing!

The observers are not there to carry Vote for Obama signs but, to observe from a legal distance.

Gerry Clinchy
10-26-2012, 10:24 AM
One issue at a time;-)

I have no problem with the UN exposing developing Democracies/populations that want to witness how we do things. For many, it is an eye opener. If anything positive can come out of the UN is is furthering the cause of Freedom! To reject those wanting to embarce our system is to reject Democracy.

I cannot disagree with this perspective on the program.

If this has been going on for so long, why the notice this time? Are there more observers this time than in previous elections? Has the U.N. made some statement to give some indication that this program will differ in some way from the past? Is it simply because the U.N. has been so anti-American in some of its other functions of late?

Is the UN dysfunctional? You bet! But, this is one program that helps makes us a beacon to those wanting a system similar to ours, which is a good thing!

The observers are not there to carry Vote for Obama signs but, to observe from a legal distance.
Let's hope that is correct! Since several foreign spokespeople have "endorsed" Obama perhaps that is the fear this go-round?

While Chavez, Castro and some others have made their preferences known, I note that Netanyahu, and other allies, have been careful not to do the that ...

HPL
10-26-2012, 10:40 AM
It is part of an international program to promote Democracy and has been going on for over 10 years here is the USA! We set the standard for the rest of the world and the observers learn from being at our elections. They don't interfer or influence and both the Texas AG and Gov should be embarassed for comng off as backwoods hicks!

You might find a bunch of new immigrants to Texas that would agree with you, but speaking as a native born (3rd generation at least) Texan, I like the AG's position (and believe that most of the actual Texans I know would agree with me). I certainly don't want a bunch of outside agitators coming to Texas and attempting to muck things up. If they are coming to see how things should be done, OK, but if they are coming to "monitor" how we do things, they can mind their own damned business. If we can't keep the US out of the UN, then at least maybe we can keep the UN out of Texas. (Sorry for you if you think that makes me sound like a hick).

Franco
10-26-2012, 10:50 AM
You might find a bunch of new immigrants to Texas that would agree with you, but speaking as a native born (3rd generation at least) Texan, I like the AG's position (and believe that most of the actual Texans I know would agree with me). I certainly don't want a bunch of outside agitators coming to Texas and attempting to muck things up. If they are coming to see how things should be done, OK, but if they are coming to "monitor" how we do things, they can mind their own damned business. If we can't keep the US out of the UN, then at least maybe we can keep the UN out of Texas. (Sorry for you if you think that makes me sound like a hick).

They been observing for 10 years and no problems with "agitating" so far. What leads you to believe that they will be here this time to agitate?

BonMallari
10-26-2012, 11:05 AM

where the heck is that LIKE button...big time LIKE

HPL
10-26-2012, 11:11 AM
They been observing for 10 years and no problems with "agitating" so far. What leads you to believe that they will be here this time to agitate?

You highlighted the wrong part of my post, you should have highlighted this: If they are coming to see how things should be done, OK, but if they are coming to "monitor" how we do things, they can mind their own damned business.

The implication here is that they are coming because they expect to find problems or because their presence is somehow needed in certain states to ensure the integrity of the election. Texas doesn't like that implication.

Here's what the AG wrote, and it was in response to a special request sent to the OSCE by the ACLU (not a group known for its neutrality):

In a letter to Everts, Texas Attorney General Abbott noted the OSCE identified voter ID laws as a barrier to the right to vote and is being urged by voter ID opponents "to monitor states that have taken steps to protect ballot integrity by enacting voter ID laws."
"The OSCE may be entitled to its opinions about voter ID laws, but your opinion is legally irrelevant in the United States, where the Supreme Court has already determined that voter ID laws are constitutional," Abbott wrote. "Groups and individuals from outside the United States are not allowed to influence or interfere with the election process in Texas."

Franco
10-26-2012, 11:20 AM
You highlighted the wrong part of my post, you should have highlighted this: If they are coming to see how things should be done, OK, but if they are coming to "monitor" how we do things, they can mind their own damned business.

Here's what the AG wrote, and it was in response to a special request sent to the OSCE by the ACLU (not a group known for its neutrality):

In a letter to Everts, Texas Attorney General Abbott noted the OSCE identified voter ID laws as a barrier to the right to vote and is being urged by voter ID opponents "to monitor states that have taken steps to protect ballot integrity by enacting voter ID laws."
"The OSCE may be entitled to its opinions about voter ID laws, but your opinion is legally irrelevant in the United States, where the Supreme Court has already determined that voter ID laws are constitutional," Abbott wrote. "Groups and individuals from outside the United States are not allowed to influence or interfere with the election process in Texas."

I am 100% for Voter ID's and have said so several times here on Potus. We also have laws that state how close observers can get to any polling place. Nowhere have I read that they want to usurp those laws. We have had voted ID laws on the books for years in La. and have had UN observeres here is the past with no problems.

It appears that your AG and Gov are just Grandstanding, something your Gov loves to do. If there is a report that says they want to interfer, post it up. If not, it is just a waste of time.

BonMallari
10-26-2012, 11:30 AM
I am 100% for Voter ID's and have said so several times here on Potus. We also have laws that state how close observers can get to any polling place. Nowhere have I read that they want to usurp those laws. We have had voted ID laws on the books for years in La. and have had UN observeres here is the past with no problems.

It appears that your AG and Gov are just Grandstanding, something your Gov loves to do. If there is a report that says they want to interfer, post it up. If not, it is just a waste of time.

Maybe they are, maybe they are not.....but isnt that for the State of Texas to decide....they are looking out for the residents of the State, its what they are supposed to do

Franco as much as you hate the US meddling in other countries business, I am kinda surprised that you arent outraged at the UN meddling in our politics/election....if they want to observe tell them to watch CNN/Fox or any other media outlet

HPL
10-26-2012, 11:32 AM
Maybe they are, maybe they are not.....but isnt that for the State of Texas to decide....they are looking out for the residents of the State, its what they are supposed to do

Franco as much as you hate the US meddling in other countries business, I am kinda surprised that you arent outraged at the UN meddling in our politics/election....if they want to observe tell them to watch CNN/Fox or any other media outlet

Hear!! Hear!!

Franco
10-26-2012, 01:06 PM

How is observing, meddling?
No one has yet to post anything saying that thier intent is to agiate, meddle or instigate any disruptive acts!

Again, I say this much to do about nothing.

If anything, there will be more observers in Florida and we haven't heard a peep from their AG or Gov! Maybe because they are a little more level-headed and not out to grandstand?

BonMallari
10-26-2012, 01:14 PM
How is observing, meddling?
No one has yet to post anything saying that thier intent is to agiate, meddle or instigate any disruptive acts!

Again, I say this much to do about nothing.

If anything, there will be more observers in Florida and we haven't heard a peep from their AG or Gov! Maybe because they are a little more level-headed and not out to grandstand?

they have no legal standing here in the US.....they can observe from whatever country they came from...as for Florida, they can deal with their state as they choose...

Its bad enough that the US is even in the UN, I for one do not want the UN in the US...this is not a One world Order

HPL
10-26-2012, 01:33 PM
...as for Florida, they can deal with their state as they choose...

Again, Hear! Hear!!

Franco
10-26-2012, 03:16 PM
Exactly! So why did the letter say they were coming to monitor Conservatives for fraud and intimidation? Monitor all, if you have the authority, which they don't.

If they are truly observing the process to learn, great. But it's clearly a cover story based upon the letter sent. Mbps paranoia here, just taking the time to actually read the post.....

That is from the Daily Caller, an extreme right-winged website speculating as to why we work with other countries to promote Democracy!

Here is the reality...Lawmakers from the group of 56 European and Central Asian nations have been observing U.S. elections since 2002, without incident.

Again, this is much to do about nothing and a means in which the Texas AG and Gov can grandstand!

ARay11
10-27-2012, 09:34 AM
The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE), a United Nations partner on democratization and human rights projects, will deploy 44 observers around the county on Election Day to monitor an array of activities, including potential disputes at polling places. Liberal-leaning civil rights groups met with representatives from the OSCE this week to raise their fears about what they say are systematic efforts to suppress minority voters likely to vote for President Obama. The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, the NAACP and the ACLU, among other groups, warned this month in a letter to Daan Everts, a senior official with OSCE, of “a coordinated political effort to disenfranchise millions of Americans — particularly traditionally disenfranchised groups like minorities.” The request for foreign monitoring of election sites drew a strong rebuke from Catherine Engelbrecht, founder and president of True the Vote, a conservative-leaning group seeking to crack down on election fraud. “These activist groups sought assistance not from American sources, but from the United Nations,” she said in a statement to The Hill. “The United Nations has no jurisdiction over American elections.” The observers, from countries such as Germany, France, Serbia, Belarus, Ukraine and Kazakhstan, will observe voting at polling places and other political activity. “They [will] observe the overall election process, not just the ballot casting,” said Giovanna Maiola, spokeswoman for OSCE. “They are focusing on a number of areas on the state level, including the legal system, election administration, the campaign, the campaign financing [and] new voting technologies used in the different states.” In a follow-up e-mail, Maiola noted that it is a limited election-observation mission. She said “the OSCE has regularly been invited to observe elections in the United States, in line with OSCE commitments.”

“State law does not generally provide for international observers,” Maiola said. “However, through our contacts at state and county level in certain states, we managed to secure invitations at local level and we have taken up the offer to observe. Where this is not possible, we will respect the state regulation on this matter and will not observe in precincts on Election Day.” International observers will follow up on the concerns raised by civil rights groups “We attended their meeting, we took note of the issued they raised and we asked our observers in the field to follow up on them."