PDA

View Full Version : So Much For The Stock Market

Jacob Hawkes
11-07-2012, 10:25 AM
Talk about a complete free fall. This ship is sinking faster than The Titanic backing up & ramming the iceberg again. Oh wait. That Just Happened!!!!

Buzz
11-07-2012, 10:35 AM
I just got off the phone with my broker and loaded up the boat a little more. I alway buy when everyone else is selling...

Franco
11-07-2012, 10:38 AM
I just got off the phone with my broker and loaded up the boat a little more. I alway buy when everyone else is selling...

That is the best time to buy! I've been out of the stock market for years until about 10 minutes ago;-) It may go down further but, it won't stay down. I'm in until it gets to about 13,700.

menmon
11-07-2012, 10:43 AM
Dumb money selling today and smart money buying tonight

duckheads
11-07-2012, 11:03 AM
Dumb money selling today and smart money buying tonight

Really. I would bet people are locking in their profits now so they only have to pay 15% Capitol Gains tax because people like you want more of my money through taxes to give out more Obama phones and food stamps and section 8 housing, etc.

Uncle Bill
11-08-2012, 11:52 AM
http://www.moneynews.com/Outbrain/billionaires-dump-economist-stock/2012/08/29/id/450265?PROMO_CODE=FFAD-1&utm_source=taboola (http://www.moneynews.com/Outbrain/billionaires-dump-economist-stock/2012/08/29/id/450265?PROMO_CODE=FFAD-1&utm_source=taboola)

UB

Franco
11-08-2012, 11:55 AM
http://www.moneynews.com/Outbrain/billionaires-dump-economist-stock/2012/08/29/id/450265?PROMO_CODE=FFAD-1&utm_source=taboola (http://www.moneynews.com/Outbrain/billionaires-dump-economist-stock/2012/08/29/id/450265?PROMO_CODE=FFAD-1&utm_source=taboola)

UB

Newsmax, Dick Morris' voice of doom and gloom! Fear is how he gets people to read his rag.

menmon
11-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Leaving money on the table to not pay tax is bad business. Paying taxes is never a bad thing because you have to make money to owe them

Buzz
11-08-2012, 12:31 PM
Newsmax, Dick Morris' voice of doom and gloom! Fear is how he gets people to read his rag.

This is where he lost all credibility in my mind:

It starts with the reckless strategy of the Federal Reserve to print a massive amount of money out of thin air in an attempt to stimulate the economy.

“These funds haven’t made it into the markets and the economy yet. But it is a mathematical certainty that once the dam breaks, and this money passes through the reserves and hits the markets, inflation will surge,” said Wiedemer.

“Once you hit 10% inflation, 10-year Treasury bonds lose about half their value. And by 20%, any value is all but gone. Interest rates will increase dramatically at this point, and that will cause real estate values to collapse. And the stock market will collapse as a consequence of these other problems.”

As long as we are in a liquidity trap, we won't see runaway inflation. They have been predicting this for 3 1/2 years now...

starjack
11-08-2012, 12:41 PM
Leaving money on the table to not pay tax is bad business. Paying taxes is never a bad thing because you have to make money to owe themWhat you like the gov taking your money.

Larry Thompson1
11-08-2012, 12:56 PM
This is where he lost all credibility in my mind:

As long as we are in a liquidity trap, we won't see runaway inflation. They have been predicting this for 3 1/2 years now...

So as there is no growth there will be no runaway inflation. I agree. I would still like to see growth though.

Buzz
11-08-2012, 01:34 PM
So as there is no growth there will be no runaway inflation. I agree. I would still like to see growth though.

Me too... :cool:

menmon
11-08-2012, 01:54 PM
What you like the gov taking your money.

No but I'm not asking for a free ride. Someone has to pay and as long as the only time I have to pay is when I make money I think it is fair

Dustin D
11-08-2012, 01:58 PM
This is a knee jerk reaction. It would have bumped up had Romney been elected then would have settled back down.

Uncle Bill
11-08-2012, 04:10 PM

You have really become an inspiration. First you are quoting to us from some gobbledygook scripture...and now you are attributing a story about some Democrat investors activities to Dick Morris??? His name is nowhere to be found in that story...but then who among us has the power to read between the lines like the great Franco. All we need to do is follow his book on football to find such an omniscient talent as he.

UB

fishduck
11-09-2012, 06:33 AM
Dow futures are down 40 this morning. It seems clear investor confidence is shaken! We are looking at a 4% increase in capital gains tax to fund healthcare. It seems clear another 5% will be added by the first of the year. At least in the short term, there are very few investments that can come close to returning 9% in this business environment. A sell off is imminent. With no expectations of retirement, I will ride out the next few years. However my % of cash is much higher than normal. Not into gold yet but that investment looks better all the time.

Companies have billions of dollars in cash. Much of it held overseas to avoid our corporate tax system. If money is brought back it will be taxed at the corporate rate, then if issued to shareholders as a dividend, it will be taxed again. No incentive whatsoever to put it to work in the United States.

Small businesses are faced with healthcare legislation they do not understand. Hard to plan for the game if you don't understand the rules. Hiring is on hold or on a part time as needed basis.

I don't have solutions but feel I have defined some of the problems.

Goose
11-09-2012, 08:26 AM
The solution is simple. Quit spending more money than you take in. But that will never, ever happen. In 4 years, our debt will be north of $20 trillion... if we don't implode beforehand.

The idea that the economy has/will improve with deficit spending and our massive, massive debt is laughable. What the keynesians are doing is simply economic sodomy, and they're doing one hell of a job.

We live in Cuba now.

Franco
11-09-2012, 09:46 AM
The solution is simple. Quit spending more money than you take in. But that will never, ever happen. In 4 years, our debt will be north of $20 trillion... if we don't implode beforehand.

The idea that the economy has/will improve with deficit spending and our massive, massive debt is laughable. What the keynesians are doing is simply economic sodomy, and they're doing one hell of a job.

We live in Cuba now.

I couldn't agree more. That's why it is so hard to understand why anyone would have supported Obama or Romney as both wanted to continue with deficit spending!

Only one Presidential candidate wanted to cut the budget by 43% and he wasn't a Dem or a Repub.

starjack
11-09-2012, 10:19 AM
No but I'm not asking for a free ride. Someone has to pay and as long as the only time I have to pay is when I make money I think it is fairSo you think its fair to give money to gov and have them turn around and give to the ones that dont want to earn it. Now i would like to see my money spent alot better than that. Maybe trying to keep our country safe would be a good start.

Uncle Bill
11-09-2012, 10:46 AM
I couldn't agree more. That's why it is so hard to understand why anyone would have supported Obama or Romney as both wanted to continue with deficit spending!

Only one Presidential candidate wanted to cut the budget by 43% and he wasn't a Dem or a Repub.

And just tells us from your all-knowing perch...just what the hayel are you doing besides flapping your gums and whining. Are you in the process of forming that party that will cut the budget? Are you developing a plan to enhance the possibilities of gathering more votes for that forgotten candidate. Or, for that matter, does your candidate even have anyone in Congress that would vote for his and your views? Or should we just expect you to constantly bring up your sour-grapes platform of do-nothing-politics.

It takes more than a "want-to", or someone saying what they 'would' do...hellsbells we have a plethora of them. As we do with the gullible fools that can be herded into becoming the sheeple of this country...no apparent knowledge of getting sheared...and thinking they will be taken care of forever. You can continue to be critical of all, but most of us just wonder when your whining will stop?

UB

JS
11-09-2012, 11:33 AM
Talk about a complete free fall. This ship is sinking faster than The Titanic backing up & ramming the iceberg again. Oh wait. That Just Happened!!!!

Geez, why didn't someone tell me the stock market was an economic indicator. I had no idea anyone was interested in that! I heard nothing about it throughout the campaigns.

Let's see; maybe we coulda' used this:

http://ycharts.com/indicators/dow_jones_industrial_average/chart#series=type%3Aindicator%2Cid%3Adow_jones_ind ustrial_average%2Ccalc%3A&format=real&recessions=false&zoom=5&startDate=&endDate=

JS

Marvin S
11-09-2012, 01:00 PM
Geez, why didn't someone tell me the stock market was an economic indicator. I had no idea anyone was interested in that! I heard nothing about it throughout the campaigns.

Let's see; maybe we coulda' used this:

http://ycharts.com/indicators/dow_jones_industrial_average/chart#series=type%3Aindicator%2Cid%3Adow_jones_ind ustrial_average%2Ccalc%3A&format=real&recessions=false&zoom=5&startDate=&endDate=

JS

It's even better if you can find one of the DJ since it's inception - recognizing that the stocks are not one & the same :confused: - guess when you start doing bad as a company no one wants you around anymore. It's sorta like the constitution, change it to suit your needs. BUT, it is a good indicator of where the country is going & where it has been including all the bubbles. & is the only place to be with a percentage of your portfolio to combat inflation which is ever present, it's just the degree that changes :).

Ken Fisher is a columnist on Forbes - follow his recommendation for a while & see if you think he is knowledgeable - we looked at one time of placing a portion of our portfolio under his under his management, when the analysis was done the boss said I needed to keep doing that job ;-). When those folks manage your money they have to make 2% more to be even with us amateurs, that's why I am my own broker ;-). The internet is wonderful. As a DIY, I think it makes me more conscious of what is going on in the country & the world. As those events can affect returns!!