PDA

View Full Version : Petraeus resigns

gmhr1
11-09-2012, 02:11 PM
Gen Petraeus submitted his resignation letter, not over Libya but because of an extra marital affair he had. He has been married 37 years. This comes right on the heels of the Llbya hearings next week, but the word is he will still be called to testify.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/11/09/petraeus-resigns-as-cia-director/

BonMallari
11-09-2012, 02:25 PM
what a waste of a great military career....a real shame,very disappointed

BonMallari
11-09-2012, 03:44 PM
now they are saying he wont be called to testify...the timing on this smells....the reason he is resigning makes one lift an eyebrow too

PamK
11-09-2012, 03:51 PM
I am not denying the timing smells but do you really believe he would resign for an affair he didn't have?

BonMallari
11-09-2012, 04:04 PM
I am not denying the timing smells but do you really believe he would resign for an affair he didn't have?

No....that's not what I am saying at all...

1. was someone using leverage threatening to expose the affair....

2. it gives him an out,kind of a poison pill so to speak(yes i know its the CIA)

3. why didnt he resign before the election

I am not saying he didnt have an affair....but a man in his high profile position doesnt make sense

smillerdvm
11-09-2012, 04:32 PM
now they are saying he wont be called to testify...the timing on this smells....the reason he is resigning makes one lift an eyebrow tooThis post wouldnt have surprised me if it were made by the OP, Gman, UB or the like. Not very long ago you seemed concerned about your credibility and objectivity

Exactly what smells and makes you lift an eyebrow regarding the timing of his resignation
This is a national heo who has served bravely & honorably for years and amusingly been a hero to the "Republican can do no wrong apoligists"crowd. What are you suggesting that he is participating in the Fox created coverup of alleged heinous wrongdoing in the 9-11 embassy terror attack where Fox would like us to think that Obama had our people stand down when Fox would have you believe that we could have easily intervened and prevented it You are aware that so far everyone[CIA Pentagon NSC White House 4 Star Generalsetc} who could be in a position to know the situation has called BS on Fox

Or are you implying that he is faking the affair

What smells fishy to me is that this kinda resembles when Colin Powell, your ilks last Patriotic hero & icon got demoted to a bum & traitior and thrown under the bus when he endorsed Obama

Do you people actually believe every piece of tripe that Fox throws against the wall and hope it sticks. How many times will that Fair & Balanced group make a fool out of you people before you wake up

mngundog
11-09-2012, 04:36 PM
Did he have an affair with a man or a women?

gmhr1
11-09-2012, 04:40 PM
Why would he not be called to testify? He resigns a couple days before a hearing (after the election) where he would have to tell the truth and now he doesn't have to testify, and some people think this doesn't raise an eyebrow?

smillerdvm
11-09-2012, 04:50 PM
Why would he not be called to testify?

Officials say revelations about the affair that led to Friday's resignation of CIA Director David Petraeus were discovered in the course of an FBI investigation.

Dont know if he will be called to testify, but if he is this wont get him out of it. He can still be subpeonaed.
All the more reason to show how ridiculous it is too imply something nefarious in the timing; in that it would serve no factual purpose in any purported coverup of any purported wrong doing.
That matters to people who are concerned with facts

BonMallari
11-09-2012, 04:51 PM
This post wouldnt have surprised me if it were made by the OP, Gman, UB or the like. Not very long ago you seemed concerned about your credibility and objectivity

Exactly what smells and makes you lift an eyebrow regarding the timing of his resignation
This is a national heo who has served bravely & honorably for years and amusingly been a hero to the "Republican can do no wrong apoligists"crowd. What are you suggesting that he is participating in the Fox created coverup of alleged heinous wrongdoing in the 9-11 embassy terror attack where Fox would like us to think that Obama had our people stand down when Fox would have you believe that we could have easily intervened and prevented it You are aware that so far everyone[CIA Pentagon NSC White House 4 Star Generalsetc} who could be in a position to know the situation has called BS on Fox

Or are you implying that he is faking the affair

What smells fishy to me is that this kinda resembles when Colin Powell, your ilks last Patriotic hero & icon got demoted to a bum & traitior and thrown under the bus when he endorsed Obama

Do you people actually believe every piece of tripe that Fox throws against the wall and hope it sticks. How many times will that Fair & Balanced group make a fool out of you people before you wake up

you are really reaching for straws today.....I was a Petraeus fan...Four Star Generals like him dont grow on trees...coming from a military family I am disappointed...Men like him dont make errors in judgement...those are reserved for twerps like Mark Sanford,Anthony Weiner

I am just in shock to be quite honest, Petraeus was/is a genuine American hero

gmhr1
11-09-2012, 04:55 PM
I was watching this on cnn, They said he would not testify. I hope he does because his resignation doesn't have anything to do with him telling the truth at the hearing. His staff says he wants to testify so go, he doesn't have to wait for a subpoena. If he's not hiding anything than there is no reason for him not to.

smillerdvm
11-09-2012, 05:05 PM
you are really reaching for straws today.....I was a Petraeus fan...Four Star Generals like him dont grow on trees...coming from a military family I am disappointed...Men like him dont make errors in judgement...those are reserved for twerps like Mark Sanford,Anthony Weiner

Thats all well and good & I agree with your sentiments
However you still haven't explained why you think the timing from a hero like him "who don't make errors in judgement" is suspicious

M&K's Retrievers
11-09-2012, 05:16 PM
However you still haven't explained why you think the timing from a hero like him "who don't make errors in judgement" is suspicious

It came out of this administration therefore it is suspicious.

Marvin S
11-09-2012, 05:28 PM

I have to agree with Bon - other than the storm which the POTUS had no control over - everything that has happened during this election season appears to be controlled to make the administration look good - it's just human nature for politico's - this administration more than others. If we had other than a fawning MSM maybe there would be objective reporting :confused:.

BonMallari
11-09-2012, 05:28 PM

was he having the affair just last week ? highly unlikely ? maybe he thought BHO wouldnt get re elected and it would never get this far

bottom line Petraeus is the one who could definitively end all the speculation,inuendo and whatever else you may call it...I believe him to be a good honest man who would/will tell the truth when called upon to do so..IMO he has no political axe to grind, which makes him the best witness, now this character flaw and lapse in judgement can only go to second guess what I would have believed to be stellar testimony....

Jacob Hawkes
11-09-2012, 05:33 PM
Nothing to see here folks. He's running The CIA.

gmhr1
11-09-2012, 05:42 PM
The affair was with his biographer and yes she's a woman.A pretty stupid move for such a smart man .

kjrice
11-09-2012, 05:49 PM
now they are saying he wont be called to testify...the timing on this smells....the reason he is resigning makes one lift an eyebrow too
Obama would dismantle the CIA tomorrow if he could.

mngundog
11-09-2012, 05:57 PM
The affair was with his biographer and yes she's a woman.A pretty stupid move for such a smart man .
It happens to the best of them, even Slick Willy. :D

HPL
11-09-2012, 06:10 PM

Rats!! I was hoping it was Michelle.

gmhr1
11-09-2012, 06:42 PM
source Newsmax..... Still, the White House, with concurrence by the FBI and Justice Department, held off on asking for Petraeus’ resignation until after the election. His resignation occurred three days after the election, avoiding the possibility that Obama’s ill-fated appointment of Petraeus could become an issue in the election.

FBI agents on the case were aware that such a decision had been made to hold off on forcing him out until after the election and were outraged.

“The decision was made to delay the resignation apparently to avoid potential embarrassment to the president before the election,” an FBI source says. “To leave him in such a sensitive position where he was vulnerable to potential blackmail for months compromised our security and is inexcusable.”

Michael Kortan, the FBI’s assistant director for public affairs, said he had no comment.

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/petraeus-resigns-cia-affair/2012/11/09/id/463573#ixzz2BmAOFbHg

murral stark
11-09-2012, 07:53 PM
source Newsmax..... Still, the White House, with concurrence by the FBI and Justice Department, held off on asking for Petraeus’ resignation until after the election. His resignation occurred three days after the election, avoiding the possibility that Obama’s ill-fated appointment of Petraeus could become an issue in the election.

FBI agents on the case were aware that such a decision had been made to hold off on forcing him out until after the election and were outraged.

“The decision was made to delay the resignation apparently to avoid potential embarrassment to the president before the election,” an FBI source says. “To leave him in such a sensitive position where he was vulnerable to potential blackmail for months compromised our security and is inexcusable.”

Michael Kortan, the FBI’s assistant director for public affairs, said he had no comment

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/petraeus-resigns-cia-affair/2012/11/09/id/463573#ixzz2BmAOFbHg

You should contact Jesse Ventura. You would make a good investigator for his TV show, "Conspiracy Theory". I happen to like Jesse though. He makes a lot of sense in what he believes and what he speaks of.:p

gmhr1
11-09-2012, 07:55 PM
Do you not believe he had an affair and resigned? Do you not read at all? I wonder why Obama didn't feel this could not come out before the election same as drone attack it happened back on the first. He told us bin laden was dead an hour after it happened.

Petraeus resigns and Hillary Clinton will be unavailable next week when she was supposed to testify you can run but you can't hide.

murral stark
11-09-2012, 08:49 PM
Do you not believe he had an affair and resigned? Do you not read at all? I wonder why Obama didn't feel this could not come out before the election same as drone attack it happened back on the first. He told us bin laden was dead an hour after it happened.

Petraeus resigns and Hillary Clinton will be unavailable next week when she was supposed to testify you can run but you can't hide.

Oviously I do read, or I would not be responding to posts. I read your posts, and the majority of them, have some type of "Govt Conspiracy" or "Govt cover up". Did Oswald act alone or was there someone on the grassy knoll? LOL

gmhr1
11-09-2012, 09:00 PM
That's all this admin does is cover up. We knew in an hour bin laden was dead because that was a feather in obamas cap. it's been since 9/11 and we still don't have answers on Benghazi. Now the Gen. resigns after the election ,and Hillary is so busy she can't make it to testify next week. Iran fires on our drone and it takes nine days for that to come out, also after the election. You know what they say if it walks like a duck...... The good news is there are people that won't close the books on Benghazi no matter how long Obama tries to stall.

HPL
11-09-2012, 09:04 PM
That's all this admin does is cover up. We knew in an hour bin laden was dead because that was a feather in obamas cap. it's been since 9/11 and we still don't have answers on Benghazi. Now the Gen. resigns after the election ,and Hillary is so busy she can't make it to testify next week. Iran fires on our drone and it takes nine days for that to come out, also after the election. You know what they say if it walks like a duck......

Yeah, my dog is going to do his damndest to run that sucker down.11 ;-)

Ken Bora
11-11-2012, 08:03 AM
It came out of this administration therefore it is suspicious.

Man.... the poor FBI folks. For real I mean this :confused: They are hound dogging the "Criptic" emails thinking they gots a spy. And somebody at some point had to go "gosh darn it he is just gettin laid!" and then up the chain it had to go. and then after all is said and done... to be told the Gen. will wait until after the erection is over to make the pubic announcement!
I mean there were actualy agents scrambling over....... a horny general? Tiger and his text messages x2?

Golddogs
11-11-2012, 01:09 PM
you are really reaching for straws today.....I was a Petraeus fan...Four Star Generals like him dont grow on trees...coming from a military family I am disappointed...Men like him dont make errors in judgement..Any man can and does make errors in judgement. Believeing one stands above the fraility of being a human being and cannot make such errors is foolish..those are reserved for twerps like Mark Sanford,Anthony Weiner And Newt and Ike and Sen. Koch from MN,

Feet of Clay Regards

road kill
11-12-2012, 09:23 AM
EXCLUSIVE: Petraeus mistress may have revealed classified information at Denver speech on real reason for Libya attack
By Jennifer Griffin, Adam Housley

Published November 12, 2012
FoxNews.com

CIA director resigns days before hearing on Libya...

Petraeus asserts that resignation is unrelated to...
Biographer Paula Broadwell could be facing questions about whether she revealed classified information about the Libya attack that she was privy to due to her relationship with then-CIA Director David Petraeus.

At an Oct. 26 speech at her alma mater, the University of Denver, on the same day that Fox News reported that the rescue team at the CIA annex had been denied help, Broadwell was asked about Petraeus’ handling of the Benghazi situation.

Her response was reported originally by Israel’s Arutz Sheva and Foreign Policy’s Blake Hounshell.

Broadwell quoted the Fox News report when she said: “The facts that came out today were that the ground forces there at the CIA annex, which is different from the consulate, were requesting reinforcements."

Broadwell went on to explain more sensitive details from the Benghazi attacks, particularly concerning what the real cause might have been.

“Now, I don't know if a lot of you heard this, but the CIA annex had actually, um, had taken a couple of Libyan militia members prisoner and they think that the attack on the consulate was an effort to try to get these prisoners back. So that's still being vetted.”

In the original Oct. 26 Fox News report, sources at the annex said that the CIA’s Global Response Staff had handed over three Libyan militia members to the Libyan authorities who came to rescue the 30 Americans in the early hours of Sept. 12.

A well-placed Washington source confirms to Fox News that there were Libyan militiamen being held at the CIA annex in Benghazi and that their presence was being looked at as a possible motive for the staged attack on the consulate and annex that night.

According to multiple intelligence sources who have served in Benghazi, there were more than just Libyan militia members who were held and interrogated by CIA contractors at the CIA annex in the days prior to the attack. Other prisoners from additional countries in Africa and the Middle East were brought to this location.

The Libya annex was the largest CIA station in North Africa, and two weeks prior to the attack, the CIA was preparing to shut it down. Most prisoners, according to British and American intelligence sources, had been moved two weeks earlier.

The CIA, though, categorically denied these allegations, saying: “The CIA has not had detention authority since January 2009, when Executive Order 13491 was issued. Any suggestion that the agency is still in the detention business is uninformed and baseless.”

Broadwell’s affair with Petraeus was likely known to Holly Petraeus, according to family friends. The FBI reportedly knew about it months beforehand and White House Counterterrorism adviser John Brennan reportedly was aware that there was a relationship as early as the summer of 2011.

Broadwell, whose affair with Petraeus reportedly ended earlier this year, continued to serve as an informal spokesman for the CIA director. She suggests in her Denver speech that Petraeus knew almost immediately that the attack was a terror attack -- possibly to free militia members.

A few days later, Petraeus testified in a closed session to Congress that the attack was due in large part to an anti-Islam video and a spontaneous uprising, according to reports from the hearing.

Congressional leaders say privately they believe they were lied to by Petraeus when he testified shortly after the attack. Some of these members already considered charging Petraeus with perjury, but said they planned to withhold judgment until he testified this week. After resigning as CIA director, the CIA said Acting Director Mike Morrell would testify in his place.

All of this raises the question: What was the CIA really doing in Benghazi in addition to searching for Qaddafi’s stash of more than 22,000 shoulder-held missiles that could bring down commercial airplanes, and who in the White House knew exactly what the CIA was up to?

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/11/12/petraeus-mistress-may-have-revealed-classified-information-at-denver-speech/?cmpid=prn_aol&icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D233371#ix zz2C1QGJLDY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPaf5OJSskY

PalouseDogs
11-12-2012, 11:33 AM
Talk about the most unfortunate choice ever for a book title for the Petraeus biography.

All In :eek::eek::eek:

And the subtitle hardly improves the situation:

The Education :cool: of General David Petraeus.

huntinman
11-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Interesting how this is so shocking and the worst thing that could ever happen etc...

When Bill Clinton was having sex with an intern in the White House of all places, we were told by the media (and every lib politician out there) it was none of our business... it was just sex after all... What two adults did in their private lives was their business.

Seems the left has put more value in the marriage vows over the last few years...

Gerry Clinchy
11-12-2012, 02:44 PM
If Petraeus perjured himself in his testimony, and could no longer live with the lie(s), then by resigning he is free to tell the truth. Would he have viewed his lying as following orders of his CIC? If so, that no longer would apply (since he has resigned), would it?

Eric Johnson
11-12-2012, 10:25 PM
News reports this evening have the FBI conducting a raid at the Broadwell home this evening.

The reports that he wouldn't testify were based upon his not being a government official anymore. By this line of reasoning, the CIA would be represented by the acting director. However, he still could be called, and probably would be, based on what he actually witnessed.

Eric

mngundog
11-12-2012, 10:48 PM
Interesting how this is so shocking and the worst thing that could ever happen etc...

When Bill Clinton was having sex with an intern in the White House of all places, we were told by the media (and every lib politician out there) it was none of our business... it was just sex after all... What two adults did in their private lives was their business.

Seems the left has put more value in the marriage vows over the last few years...
I guess I haven't seen any outrage about Petraeus, I would say this is being handled about the same way the Clinton thing should've been handled.

huntinman
11-13-2012, 06:46 AM
News reports this evening have the FBI conducting a raid at the Broadwell home this evening.

The reports that he wouldn't testify were based upon his not being a government official anymore. By this line of reasoning, the CIA would be represented by the acting director. However, he still could be called, and probably would be, based on what he actually witnessed.

Eric

The FBI has known about Broadwell for months. Why are they raiding her home now, after the whole affair has become public knowledge? Is it just part of the show?

gmhr1
11-13-2012, 08:20 AM
To make it more complicated another marine general is now involved with the girl that was recieveing those emails. He's Gen John Allen the commander of US Nato troops in Afganistan, he's going to fall as well. I wonder how many more will turn up?

http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/13/petraeus-scandal-probe-ensnares-commander-of-u-s-nato-troops-in-afghanistan/

road kill
11-13-2012, 08:26 AM
the fbi has known about broadwell for months. Why are they raiding her home now, after the whole affair has become public knowledge? Is it just part of the show?
orders!!!!

gmhr1
11-13-2012, 08:32 AM
The FBI has known about Broadwell for months. Why are they raiding her home now, after the whole affair has become public knowledge? Is it just part of the show?

Because she gave a speech and opened her mouth Oct 26, saying thngs that NO ONE had heard, talking about 3 prisioners being held in Libya and thats why we were attacked.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/11/12/paula-broadwell-benghazi-attack-petraeus/1699207/

Eric Johnson
11-13-2012, 09:43 AM
I think that the search of the Broadwell residence is part of the classified information leak probe. This was started long after the email issue began. The Broadwell's are cooperating with the FBI. The news here said that a couple of boxes of documents were removed.

luvalab
11-13-2012, 09:52 AM
This is my only outlet for my rage.

How in the hell do these old men have the time and energy to deal with tens of thousands of e-mails from ANYONE--much less married socialites 20 years younger who are apparently sleeping their way through the barracks and then up, and running into a bottle-neck with each other at the four-star level--and RUN A FRIGGIN' WAR???

Oh.

Wait.

The war has been limping away on its own in whatever direction the tradewinds are blowing.

Yeah. I guess they have time to deal with TENS OF THOUSANDS OF EMAILS FROM WOMEN NOT THEIR WIVES.

Forget the negligible amount of time they may or may not have been having sex.

road kill
11-13-2012, 10:22 AM
Paula Broadwell is a West Point Grad as well as the General.

Just sayin'......

charly_t
11-13-2012, 10:58 AM
This is my only outlet for my rage.

How in the hell do these old men have the time and energy to deal with tens of thousands of e-mails from ANYONE--much less married socialites 20 years younger who are apparently sleeping their way through the barracks and then up, and running into a bottle-neck with each other at the four-star level--and RUN A FRIGGIN' WAR???

Oh.

Wait.

The war has been limping away on its own in whatever direction the tradewinds are blowing.

Yeah. I guess they have time to deal with TENS OF THOUSANDS OF EMAILS FROM WOMEN NOT THEIR WIVES.

Forget the negligible amount of time they may or may not have been having sex.

x2 ! I understand that one of these ladies ( ????? ) was a "party planner"....wonder if that means the same thing as "call girl". Jokes aside it does seem that some of these dirty old men must have been spending their whole day "playing".

PamK
11-13-2012, 12:04 PM
I can't even imagine writing over 30,000 emails to one person.

HPL
11-13-2012, 01:11 PM
I can't even imagine writing over 30,000 emails to one person.

I can't type that fast

Daniel J Simoens
11-13-2012, 02:26 PM
http://weeklystandard.com/sites/all/files/images/all-up.preview.jpg

chica packing some guns!!

BonMallari
11-13-2012, 02:31 PM
WHERE are all the naysayers now that were doubting the original Fox News reports about the erroneous and conflicting reports concerning Libya, the entire situation stinks to high heaven from the top down...looks like the original reports were just a tip of the iceberg...

a lot more questions need to be asked

Gerry Clinchy
11-13-2012, 02:52 PM
So, Kelley, the gal who reported the harrassing emails from Broadwell, was exchanging these 20,000 "flirtatious" emails (over a period of two years) with Gen Allen (the fella now in charge of troops in Afghanistan) ... is there no end to this mess? Agree with luvalab, how did they have time to attend to their jobs?

road kill
11-13-2012, 02:55 PM
Petraeus is going to testify before the Senate now.

Like Bon said, where are the secular progressives now??
This is just the beginning.
This country so DESPERATELY needs moral leadership right now.

Things are upside down.
"The Gov't is free to do as it pleases, the people need permission!"

BonMallari
11-13-2012, 03:09 PM
Petraeus is going to testify before the Senate now.

Like Bon said, where are the secular progressives now??
This is just the beginning.
This country so DESPERATELY needs moral leadership right now.

Things are upside down.

if all this crap had come out BEFORE the election as it probably should have, would it have been a game changer,

I think so....

Marvin S
11-13-2012, 03:23 PM

Isn't that the truth :( - but that's the lefty's view :).

In the TNT (our local rag) today, a column by Eugene Robinson which asks many fo the same questions folks on here are asking - Eug is not anyone's idea of a conservative ;).

Long ago I had a discussion with a fellow trialer about our local clubs loss of use of fort facilities for trials. We both agreed it had a lot to do with too many military people being non hunters. I guess they are still hunters of a sort, just not something you want to serve to your family :(.

huntinman
11-13-2012, 03:25 PM

I read that she can do hundreds of pushups at a time and runs 5 or 6 miles a day... crazy...

Eric Johnson
11-13-2012, 03:25 PM
I've seen reports that the number of messages was far lower than first reported. As it was explained, s/he just kept tacking messages on to what they'd just received and they were all counted. IOW, if I send a message to Gerry and she responds by including her answer with my message, they were counting it as 3 messages whereas it really was just two. By the time a thread goes to 10 to 15 real messages, they could have had several dozen "attachments" as the dead messages grow nearly exponentially. Be that as it may, it's kind of silly and immature for two grown-ups to have been texting with even that reduced frequency. LOL

huntinman
11-13-2012, 03:27 PM
if all this crap had come out BEFORE the election as it probably should have, would it have been a game changer,

I think so....

I don't know Bon... this kind of stuff is a resume enhancer to a lib...

luvmylabs23139
11-13-2012, 04:12 PM
Let's not forget about the shirtless FBI agent. If this were a prime time tv soap opera it would be laughed off the air for being so unbelievable!

huntinman
11-13-2012, 04:15 PM
Paula Broadwell's drivers license was found today by a jogger in Rock Creek park... Same park where that girl was found dead a few years ago... the inter Chandra Levy. Hmmm...

smillerdvm
11-13-2012, 05:36 PM

Did anyone else notice the "up" and "my snatch" that are in the book title behind her?

Was that photoshopped in by DJS or did that actually show up on the TV screen as shown

luvmylabs23139
11-13-2012, 05:54 PM
Did anyone else notice the "up" and "my snatch" that are in the book title behind her?

Was that photoshopped in by DJS or did that actually show up on the TV screen as shown

ABC 7 in Denver confirms it grabbed a photoshop image

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/photoshopped-book-title-from-paula-broadwells-gen-david-petraeus-biography-goes-viral-on-web

During the broadcast, 7NEWS showed an image of Broadwell's biography of Petraeus that is called, "All In: The Education of General David Petraeus."
However, when the 7NEWS reporter went on the Internet to get an image of the book cover, the reporter mistakenly grabbed a Photoshopped image that said, "All Up In My Snatch." (View image here (http://media.thedenverchannel.com/photo/2012/11/13/Broadwell%20book%20mistake_1352823013641_326065_ve r1.0_400_300.jpg).)
"It was a mistake," said KMGH-TV News Director Jeff Harris.
"It was a regrettable and an embarrassing error. We are mortified this appeared during our 5 p.m. news broadcast. The editor pulled the image of the book cover from the Internet without realizing it had been doctored.

Gerry Clinchy
11-13-2012, 08:23 PM
It seems that Petraeus went to Benghazi in October and did his own personal investigation. He interviewed people who had been present in the annex. Remember how we wondered about those other people who survived the attack.

What did he learn when he completed his investigation? Theoretically, his report was still "in progress" when he submitted his resignation. Will those facts come out if he testifies before the Senate?

charly_t
11-13-2012, 09:21 PM

I think so....

Nah, it wouldn't have made a difference. Those people would just have been making more excuses and still voting the wrong way. Habits are hard to break you know :-(

Ken Bora
11-14-2012, 09:34 AM
It seems that Petraeus went to Benghazi in October and did his own personal investigation. He interviewed people who had been present in the annex. Remember how we wondered about those other people who survived the attack.

What did he learn when he completed his investigation? Theoretically, his report was still "in progress" when he submitted his resignation. Will those facts come out if he testifies before the Senate?

well we will find out Thursday or Friday.

gmhr1
11-14-2012, 09:38 AM
He will testify friday, from an off site location, It will be interesting to see what version of the story he tells this time.

ARay11
11-14-2012, 11:11 AM
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s480x480/182521_10152307013660019_372932845_n.jpg

starjack
11-14-2012, 03:33 PM
well we will find out Thursday or Friday.Lotta hide to be saved think we will never get the truth.

PamK
11-14-2012, 11:28 PM
What would be the point in not telling the truth?

road kill
11-15-2012, 08:38 AM
Petraeus is in a tough spot.
The FBI has been investigating this for MONTHS, though they never told Obama??
The 2 top guys in the middle east are busy philandering while people burn in Bengahzi??
The lie about the video??

Petraeus tells one story, then the next day tells Obama's fairy tail to save his azz.
But gets thrown under the bus anyways?
The Secretary of State nominee "knew nothing, blame me??"
Yet she was on 4, count them, 4 TV shows claiming it was the video??
I can only think of a handful of people that would beleive this

BRAVO SIERRA!!!!!

huntinman
11-15-2012, 08:43 AM
Petraeus is in a tough spot.
The FBI has been investigating this for MONTHS, though they never told Obama??
The 2 top guys in the middle east are busy philandering while people burn in Bengahzi??
The lie about the video??

Petraeus tells one story, then the next day tells Obama's fairy tail to save his azz.
But gets thrown under the bus anyways?
The Secretary of State nominee "knew nothing, blame me??"
Yet she was on 4, count them, 4 TV shows claiming it was the video??
I can only think of a handful of people that would beleive this

BRAVO SIERRA!!!!!

Uh... 52% of the population might buy it.

JNG
11-15-2012, 08:50 AM
Smells fishy.

PamK
11-15-2012, 09:04 AM
I still don't see any reason for Petraeus to lie. What would he gain?

Larry Thompson1
11-15-2012, 09:14 AM

If he tells the truth now he has pergured himself with his testimony to congress. He told congress it was the video, ooooooooooooooopppps.

huntinman
11-15-2012, 09:18 AM

As it turns out, it doesn't appear that he has gained anything... But he is still breathing. However, he still got dumped as soon as the election was over. He may have thought that what he was gaining was the ability to keep the affair secret and keep his job. We see how that turned out.

Remember, he was cheating on his wife... Deep down, he probably had some small amount of hope that he could continue the charade and keep it from her... Even though the FBI had already spoken to him.

HPL
11-15-2012, 09:25 AM
Wonder if he and Broadwell will now remain together. Anybody see the photo of the Mrs? Unfortunately, she looks a bit like Omar Bradley, but that shouldn't count as we all know that it's what's on the inside that counts. Sounds like his might be a bit rotten.

M&K's Retrievers
11-15-2012, 09:28 AM
I seem to remember when he was being considered or appointed for the command in Afghanistan that some were referring to him as General "Betrayus". Well he betrayed his wife and country, why stop now?

road kill
11-15-2012, 09:29 AM
If he tells the truth now he has pergured himself with his testimony to congress. He told congress it was the video, ooooooooooooooopppps.
And he knew full well it was NOT the video.

PamK
11-15-2012, 09:30 AM

Did he testify before or after he went to Benghazi to do the investigation?

gmhr1
11-15-2012, 10:13 AM
He just made a secret trip there last month. So it was after he gave testimony blaming the video. ( Dianne Feinstein wants the trip report)

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/11/13/david-petraeus-s-secret-trip-to-libya-after-the-benghazi-attack.html

Gerry Clinchy
11-15-2012, 02:47 PM
The plot keeps thickening. Eli Lake contended that the Acting Director testify that the CIA never asked for help that night in Benghazi. ???? Lake contends that P will say the same thing. However, Broadwell, in a speech she gave, indicated that SOMEBODY called for help that night. The question also remains if no call for help was made, then why were assets moved into position (though finally left unused)? Why would Doherty risk illuminating the mortar position (at mortal risk to himself) unless he believed there was an asset in position to make use of the illumination?

What has P got to gain by continuing an untruth ... how does the Army pension work? Will he lose his pension over an affair? Over perjury? Would perjury garner him other punishment as well? Does the administration have more dirt on P than the affair ... something even more dishonorable (if possible)?

We also forget that Mrs. P is the daughter of a former commandant of West Point. Don't know if Dad is still alive, but if he is, he is surely be unimpressed with his SIL's behavior.

Then there is this scenario ... if both P and Allen got a stroke of new conscience and decided to come clean, they will now have less credibility due to P's previous dishonorable conduct?

PamK
11-15-2012, 02:55 PM
The plot keeps thickening. Eli Lake contended that the Acting Director testify that the CIA never asked for help that night in Benghazi. ???? Lake contends that P will say the same thing. However, Broadwell, in a speech she gave, indicated that SOMEBODY called for help that night. The question also remains if no call for help was made, then why were assets moved into position (though finally left unused)? Why would Doherty risk illuminating the mortar position (at mortal risk to himself) unless he believed there was an asset in position to make use of the illumination?

What has P got to gain by continuing an untruth ... how does the Army pension work? Will he lose his pension over an affair? Over perjury? Would perjury garner him other punishment as well? Does the administration have more dirt on P than the affair ... something even more dishonorable (if possible)?

We also forget that Mrs. P is the daughter of a former commandant of West Point. Don't know if Dad is still alive, but if he is, he is surely be unimpressed with his SIL's behavior.

Then there is this scenario ... if both P and Allen got a stroke of new conscience and decided to come clean, they will now have less credibility due to P's previous dishonorable conduct?

I heard that if the affair took place when he was in the Army his pension would be effected.

BonMallari
11-15-2012, 03:20 PM
I heard that if the affair took place when he was in the Army his pension would be effected.

only if the JAG want to pursue it, maybe go after a star...but I would guess the DOD wants this as well as the Gen Allen affair to end as quickly and quietly as possible...Now if some high ranking Senator on the Armed Services committee decides they want to go after one of his stars then it could happen..he might have already negotiated that deal before he left and before he agreed to testify

otherwise he might have to plead the Fifth

gmhr1
11-15-2012, 04:05 PM
Its against the military law (UCMJ) to have an affair. But will they want to go after him?

Down East Labs 217
11-15-2012, 05:27 PM
Its against the military law (UCMJ) to have an affair. But will they want to go after him?

If you are talking about P, he is not on active duty therefore the UCMJ does not apply to him. If you are talking about Gen A, they lack evidence at this point to charge him of a crime.

Richard

Gerry Clinchy
11-15-2012, 05:34 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/11/15/silencing-general-petraeus/?intcmp=trending

Pretty good opinion piece by Judge Napolitano ... another "fairy tale" that the affair would not have come to light when FBI did its background check on Petraeus when he was proposed as CIA chief, and that POTUS would have not been made aware of same through his weekly FBI briefings. Other interesting legal facts in there as well.

huntinman
11-15-2012, 05:46 PM
One story floating around was since Gen P. was retired they may drop a star and reduce his pension. I don't know if they can or would want to go after him.

I don't care what they do or don't do to him at this point. I want the truth about Benghazi to come out and those responsible held accountable for it. If he is one of them... He needs to pay.

gmhr1
11-15-2012, 05:53 PM
One story floating around was that since he was retired, they could drop a star and reduce his pension. He claims the affair started after he retired although they met in 2006. Interesting side note Jill Kelly had dinner sept 28 at the white house. Paula broadwells father said this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Gerry Clinchy
11-16-2012, 02:08 PM
Former CIA Director David Petraeus stoked the controversy over the Obama administration's handling of the Libya terror attack, testifying Friday that references to "Al Qaeda involvement" were stripped from his agency's original talking points -- while other intelligence officials were unable to say who changed the memo, according to a top lawmaker who was briefed.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/11/16/petraeus-to-testify-knew-libya-was-terrorism-from-start-source-says/#ixzz2CPzCqnLt

That does not explain why Petraeus testified otherwise on Sept. 14.

BonMallari
11-16-2012, 03:55 PM
I dont understand WHY the American public doesnt get to listen to his testimony live...This closed door session leads to speculation and false reports....if there is nothing to hide let America decide

Golddogs
11-16-2012, 05:58 PM
I dont understand WHY the American public doesnt get to listen to his testimony live...This closed door session leads to speculation and false reports....if there is nothing to hide let America decide

Possibly security reasons. If it appears to be a cover up, someone will leak it out.

murral stark
11-16-2012, 06:14 PM
Possibly security reasons. If it appears to be a cover up, someone will leak it out.

One of my former bosses never closed the door when we were having meetings. His philosphy was that if people see the door open, we were planning something. If the door was closed, we were plotting something. It's all about the trust factor.

Gerry Clinchy
11-16-2012, 06:53 PM
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42816
"The Rescue of Roger Locher" ... told by retired brigadier general Steve Richie.

If Richie (or General Vogt) had been in command on 9/11/2012, this story might have had a different ending.

duk4me
11-16-2012, 06:58 PM
One of my former bosses never closed the door when we were having meetings. His philosphy was that if people see the door open, we were planning something. If the door was closed, we were plotting something. It's all about the trust factor.

What did he fire you for?:p

murral stark
11-16-2012, 07:02 PM
What did he fire you for?:p

He didn't. He retired.

Henry V
11-16-2012, 07:06 PM
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ10vcneJr4T5t7hDdjKXckb_pV1ascI ZQLT73Si49DEsnaNodV

Golddogs
11-17-2012, 09:44 AM

Petraeus: CIA secrets cut from public account on Benghazi

By Jonathan S. Landay and Maria Recio

McClatchy Newspapers

WASHINGTON — Former CIA Director David Petraeus told lawmakers Friday, Nov. 16, that the agency had secretly assessed that al-Qaida-linked gunmen attacked the U.S. Consulate and CIA annex in Benghazi, Libya, on Sept. 11.

But he said classified references to the terrorist group were cut from talking points on which U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice relied for television interviews.

Petraeus testified in closed hearings of the House and Senate intelligence committees a week after his startling admission to adultery and his resignation from the CIA roiled Washington, igniting a scandal that grew to ensnare the Marine general who commands U.S.-led forces in Afghanistan.

Speaking after the back-to-back sessions, lawmakers said Petraeus, a retired four-star Army general who once commanded the U.S.-led forces in Iraq and Afghanistan, apologized for his affair with his biographer, Paula Broadwell. But the issue didn’t figure at all in his testimony or their questions, they said.

“The general did not address any specifics of the affair, of that issue. What he did say in his open­ing statement was that he regrets the circumstances that led to his resignation,” said Rep. Jim Langevin, D-R.I.

Petraeus was kept hidden from the news media as he was escorted in and out of the hearings, which the committees held as they conduct two of four congressional investigations into the Benghazi attacks, which killed U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens, another State Department staffer and two CIA contract security officers.

Republican lawmakers have led a political outcry over the attack. They have targeted Rice with charges that in five TV shows five days after the assaults, she cast the attacks as stemming from a spontaneous protest against an anti-Islam video and not as a terrorist operation, in a deliberate bid to protect President Barack Obama’s record on terrorism in the closing weeks of his re-election campaign.

Several senior Republican senators, including John McCain of Arizona and Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, said this week that they would oppose Rice if Obama nominates her to replace Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, who has made it clear that she doesn’t want to stay on for the second term.

Petraeus, lawmakers said, told the committees that from the beginning the CIA had assessed that members of al-Qaida affiliates were involved in the assaults.

But the references to al-Qaida were struck from the final version of unclassified talking points that the intelligence community originally approved for public use by House Intelligence Committee members and then provided to Rice for her television appearances, they said.

“The original talking points prepared by the CIA were different from the ones that were finally put out … even though it was clearly evident to the CIA that there was al-Qaida involvement,” said Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y.

He added that the references to “al-Qaida involvement” were dropped for “indications of extremists.”

King quoted Petraeus as saying he didn’t know who made the revisions during a “long, interagency process.”

A senior U.S. official who is familiar with the matter said the al-Qaida references were struck from the unclassified version because they came from secret sources.

Moreover, the network’s links to the attacks were tenuous, and making them public at that time could have skewed further intelligencegathering and tainted an FBI criminal investigation into the attacks, the official said.

The unclassified talking points reflected what the CIA “believed at that point in time,” said the senior U.S. official, who requested anonymity in order to discuss the sensitive issue.

“The points were reviewed by CIA leadership and coordinated in the interagency at a senior level. The points were not, as has been insinuated by some, edited to minimize the role of extremists, diminish terrorist affiliations or play down that this was an attack. There were legitimate intelligence and legal issues to consider, as is almost always the case when explaining classified assessments publicly.”

It remained unclear, however, why the CIA and the administration said there was a protest outside the consulate when Libya’s interim president and witnesses were saying none had taken place, and administration officials said at first that they couldn’t confirm there was one.

Administration officials eventually conceded there was no protest and that the assaults appeared to involve militants from a local Islamist group, Ansar al Shariah, and others linked to al-Qaida’s North Africa affiliate, al-Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb.

Republicans said they still had questions about the attacks. They included why the State Department hadn’t strengthened security at the consulate and annex given that Libyan authorities had been unable to curb escalating violence by Islamist groups and militias that refused to disband after overthrowing the late dictator Moammar Gadhafi in October 2011.

“The State Department did not take adequate measures to protect personnel,” said Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla. “We need to find out more. Clearly the security measures were not adequate.”

Uncle Bill
11-17-2012, 01:13 PM
So, finally at the end of this 'article', we read:

"It remained unclear, however, why the CIA and the administration said there was a protest outside the consulate when Libya’s interim president and witnesses were saying none had taken place, and administration officials said at first that they couldn’t confirm there was one.

Administration officials eventually conceded there was no protest and that the assaults appeared to involve militants from a local Islamist group, Ansar al Shariah, and others linked to al-Qaida’s North Africa affiliate, al-Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb.

Republicans said they still had questions about the attacks. They included why the State Department hadn’t strengthened security at the consulate and annex given that Libyan authorities had been unable to curb escalating violence by Islamist groups and militias that refused to disband after overthrowing the late dictator Moammar Gadhafi in October 2011.

“The State Department did not take adequate measures to protect personnel,” said Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla. “We need to find out more. Clearly the security measures were not adequate.”

And now we are supposed to buy the "make-believe" story promulgated by this oligarchy, and that should provide cover for Susan Rice???? It MAY remain UNCLEAR to all the Obamaites as to why they made up a story, charged an American citizen for it all, and even jailed him to show how totally corrupt and willing to 'invent' a story to protect their messiah from possible ridicule for all his bloviating about how HE had "defeated" al-Qaida, and they were no longer to be concerned about.

Sadly, there may not be more than 10% of his voters that give a damn, and certainly the various toads and sycophantic MSP will do all they can to insure the messiah doesn't get any of this phoney crap tainting him.

All you lefties that are in favor of this blatently obvious cover-up, need to remind yourselves there were 4 AMERICANS KILLED in this atrocity, and if it weren't for the ineptocracy of this regime, they could have been properly protected. And then to have this empty suit stand there in a press conference and tell us Susan Rice is not to be criticized for her administrative ass-kissing-performance? I for one don't for a minute give any creedence to her only stating what she was told. As far as I'm concerned, she probably had a significant part in helping to make up that total LIE.

When will the scapegoat for this complete sham be released? I hope he sues the government for trillions.

UB

Blackstone
11-17-2012, 01:28 PM
You act like this is the first time someone has taken the fall for the Commader and Chief. Remember Oliver North and Iran-Contra Affair? It could be just as easily said that he took the fall for Reagan.

Gerry Clinchy
11-17-2012, 01:33 PM
Harry Reid must think he is a king ... he repeated that he would not allow a select Senate committee to be created to investigate the Benghazi affair. After his behavior during the campaign, I have to conclude that the man is totally unprincipled, brutally so.

Uncle Bill
11-17-2012, 02:00 PM
You act like this is the first time someone has taken the fall for the Commader and Chief. Remember Oliver North and Iran-Contra Affair? It could be just as easily said that he took the fall for Reagan.

And, remind me, how many Americans were killed?

BTW...I'm confused by your phrase: Commader and Chief. If you are talking about Reagan's time in office as President of the USA, most of us called him the "commander in chief".

As to the current occupier of the White House, the more appropriate title would be the "commandeer in chief". But my personal favorite term of endearment would be "communist in chief."

Blackstone
11-17-2012, 02:09 PM
And, remind me, how many Americans were killed?

BTW...I'm confused by your phrase: Commader and Chief. If you are talking about Reagan's time in office as President of the USA, most of us called him the "commander in chief".

As to the current occupier of the White House, the more appropriate title would be the "commandeer in chief". But my personal favorite term of endearment would be "communist in chief."

A lot of people were killed as a result of that decision. It doesn't make it okay just because they weren't Americans. And thanks for the correction on my spelling error when referring to Reagan. It's a shame you were able to get the current President's title correct as well. I certainly have more respect for him than I did for Reagan, but I would still never disrespect the office intentionally.

Larry Thompson1
11-17-2012, 02:14 PM
A lot of people were killed as a result of that decision. It doesn't make it okay just because they weren't Americans. And thanks for the correction on my spelling error when referring to Reagan. It's a shame you were able to get the current President's title correct as well. I certainly have more respect for him than I did for Reagan, but I would still never disrespect the office intentionally.

Did you just say you have more respect fo Oboma than Reagan??? What have you been smokin? I'm sorry I should have said, Dude put the bong down man.

Blackstone
11-17-2012, 02:55 PM
Did you just say you have more respect fo Oboma than Reagan??? What have you been smokin? I'm sorry I should have said, Dude put the bong down man.

I absolutely do. I did not hate the man, but I did not respect many of his positions on social issues, like his support of the Apartheid regime of the Union of South Africa, support of Bob Jones University, use of the "Southern Strategy" in his election campaign. So, no, I did not have a lot of respect for Ronald Reagan.

Henry V
11-17-2012, 03:19 PM
While this shiny ball seems to have captured many folks attention. I am curious, why there was no attention given here to the 12 attacks on U.S. consulates and embassies which resulted in the deaths of 60 people during the Bush administration? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorist_attacks_on_U.S._diplomatic_facilities.

I could not find any past discussions of any of these incidents. Perhaps I missed them? If not, could someone explain the difference between this current tragic incident and these other 12? Exactly who should be held accountable for those? Thanks.

Uncle Bill
11-17-2012, 04:07 PM
While this shiny ball seems to have captured many folks attention. I am curious, why there was no attention given here to the 12 attacks on U.S. consulates and embassies which resulted in the deaths of 60 people during the Bush administration? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorist_attacks_on_U.S._diplomatic_facilities.

I could not find any past discussions of any of these incidents. Perhaps I missed them? If not, could someone explain the difference between this current tragic incident and these other 12? Exactly who should be held accountable for those? Thanks.

Could you be more condescending Please??? It's so hard to be humble when you are as great as you are...but why should we cowtow to someone so supercilious as you? So kindly take your little round ball a do as prescribed on so many outhouse walls.

UB

Henry V
11-18-2012, 08:15 AM
Could you be more condescending Please??? It's so hard to be humble when you are as great as you are...but why should we cowtow to someone so supercilious as you? So kindly take your little round ball a do as prescribed on so many outhouse walls.

UB
Sorry to have offended you Bill. Here is a modified version. I hope the tone and content meet your standards.

I recently reviewed many of the posts in the 10 pages of this thread and the 28 pages of the "Security at the Libyan Embassy in Benghazi" thread. Both these threads seem to provide strong evidence of what former Bush speech writer David Frum calls the influence of the right wing entertainment complex (google right wing entertainment complex if interested. There are many stories). One could argue that this is the latest shiny ball that is being dangled in front of the right-wing audience to capture their attention. Sort of like the many stories on the fast and furious operation, Obama is a muslim/socialist/Kenyan, Romney will win in a landslide, Romney lost because he did not go far enough to the right, etc. Periodically the ball is shaken to make sure folks continue to pay attention. In these threads almost all the references are fox news or the blaze and some continue to defend reports that are proven wrong.

Regarding the Benghazi consulate tragedy the American public does deserve to know what happened and folks need to be held accountable, but the right wing seems to be overreacting for political motivation. The entire media complex seems to be over reacting to the Petraeus affair. If it did not have any national security implications let's leave the private lives of these people alone.

This being said, there is a tremendous amount of hypocrisy coming from the right on the Benghazi attacks. During the Bush administration there were 12 attacks on U.S. consulates and embassies which resulted in the deaths of 60 people. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrori...tic_facilities. I searched these forums and found no references to these attacks much less multiple page threads of speculation. If these attacks were discussed, please send me the links. If this is not evidence of hypocrisy please help me understand the specific differences between the Benghazi attack and all these other attacks that make the situation so newsworthy and worth "watergate" style investigation.

gmhr1
11-18-2012, 09:31 AM
The question is why was the request for more security denied when it had been asked for repeatedly. If the request had been granted there may not have been 4 lives lost and many more still in the hospital. Someone made the decision not to grant it and we know from the testimony at the hearings it didn't have anything to do with the budget. The request was denied just like the talking points were changed, Someone is responsilble. It spells cover up.

Gerry Clinchy
11-19-2012, 06:23 PM
Been thinking about the Petraeus testimony that does seem to put the ball back in the WH's court.

I'm wondering ... if Petraeus had gone along with the WH "story", and they had put the info about his affair in front of him to persuade him to do so. Then as the situation evolved, perhaps his conscience finally got the better of him ... and then he decided to publicly admit to the affair and resign, knowing that he would be called upon to testify further and would not be able to perpetuate the untruth. The credibility of his second testimony would be damaged due to the previous lie, but it would also provoke further investigation by Congress to determine which was the truth.

It still would have been much more honorable had he told the truth the first time. It could have changed the course of the election had he done so.

Gerry Clinchy
11-20-2012, 07:27 PM
Looks sorta like Petraeus is off the hook, as well as the WH. However, the CIA had to "sign off" on the final version, and this does not necessarily mean that the WH did not know of the terrorist connection.

(CBS News) WASHINGTON - CBS News has learned that the Office of the Director of National Intelligence (DNI) cut specific references to "al Qaeda" and "terrorism" from the unclassified talking points given to Ambassador Susan Rice on the Benghazi consulate attack - with the agreement of the CIA and FBI. The White House or State Department did not make those changes.
There has been considerable discussion about who made the changes to the talking points that Rice stuck to in her television appearances on Sept. 16 (video), five days after the attack that killed American Ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens, and three other U.S. nationals.

Republicans have accused her of making misleading statements by referring to the assault as a "spontaneous" demonstration by extremists. Some have suggested she used the terminology she did for political reasons.
However, an intelligence source tells CBS News correspondent Margaret Brennan the links to al Qaeda were deemed too "tenuous" to make public, because there was not strong confidence in the person providing the intelligence. CIA Director David Petraeus, however, told Congress he agreed to release the information -- the reference to al Qaeda -- in an early draft of the talking points, which were also distributed to select lawmakers.

"The intelligence community assessed from the very beginning that what happened in Benghazi was a terrorist attack." DNI spokesman Shawn Turner tells CBS News. That information was shared at a classified level -- which Rice, as a member of President Obama's cabinet, would have been privy to.

An intelligence source says the talking points were passed from the CIA to the DNI, where the substantive edits were made, and then to FBI, which made more edits as part of "standard procedure."