PDA

View Full Version : Free cell phone

PamK
11-17-2012, 11:33 AM
With all of the bashing going on here about free cell phones I was amazed to find out the the program started under Regan. Why doesn't anyone blame him?

http://washingtonexaminer.com/where-do-obama-phones-come-from/article/2509203

(partial quote)
The program is called Lifeline, established in 1984, originally created to subsidize landline phone service for low income Americans, funded by government-collected telecommunication fees, paid by consumers.

gmhr1
11-17-2012, 01:41 PM
I guess because they were not standing on the street corners screaming " free obama phone we got us a free obama phone." I never heard anyone screaming free Regan phone.

Larry Thompson1
11-17-2012, 02:19 PM
I believe this last go around with the phones was part of the recovery act as to stimulate the economy. I think the # of phones that went out was some where near 71 million. It did stimulate the forieng country's that produce these phones. If you are on the government dole you get one. How did that stimulate the economy here in the U.S.?

Gerry Clinchy
11-18-2012, 07:27 PM
The additional controversy was that at least one of the companies that provided these phones made a handsome chunk of $, and had some good connections politcally :-)

Ken Bora
11-18-2012, 07:40 PM
I guess because they were not standing on the street corners screaming " free obama phone we got us a free obama phone." I never heard anyone screaming free Regan phone.

'cause back then they were to busy having to tear the $10 $ $20 coupins out of the booklet marked "FOOD STAMPS" in order to buy food. Must be the added time from the EBC cards:rolleyes:. and the keeping land lines working for poor rural families I still support. Keeping cell phones working for snookie wanabeees.... um , NO!

PamK
11-18-2012, 10:30 PM
'cause back then they were to busy having to tear the $10 $ $20 coupins out of the booklet marked "FOOD STAMPS" in order to buy food. Must be the added time from the EBC cards:rolleyes:. and the keeping land lines working for poor rural families I still support. Keeping cell phones working for snookie wanabeees.... um , NO!

When I was laid off I looked at all my bills and it was cheaper to get a cell phone than keep the land line. While most people I know spend way more money than I would on cell phones most don't have land lines anymore.

Did you really mean to say that poor rural families are more deserving than poor urban families?

Ken Bora
11-18-2012, 10:41 PM
.....Did you really mean to say that poor rural families are more deserving than poor urban families?

Contrary to television cell phone commercials, cell service is not available in a great many rural areas. And the remoteness of an address makes it impossible to go across the hall to ask to use the telephone when you have a sucking chest wound. Not more or less deserving, just the practical aspect of rural life.

Ken Bora
11-18-2012, 11:47 PM
The distances here are great compared to New England.. JD

it ain't the distance, but how far up and down ya gotta go to get to and fro, ya know?
Same with upper N.Y. and all of N.H. You drop over a ridge and an entire hamlet is without service.

I guess I could stand up next to a Mt. and knock it down with the edge of my hand! :cool:

JDogger
11-19-2012, 12:29 AM
it ain't the distance, but how far up and down ya gotta go to get to and fro, ya know?
Same with upper N.Y. and all of N.H. You drop over a ridge and an entire hamlet is without service.

I guess I could stand up next to a Mt. and knock it down with the edge of my hand! :cool:

Hmm...Hamlet's,,,Omelet's. Uphill...downhill. Cellphones sometimes work, sometimes not. JD
Bummer...

mngundog
11-19-2012, 12:53 AM
Hmm...Hamlet's,,,Omelet's. Uphill...downhill. Cellphones sometimes work, sometimes not. JD
Bummer...
15 years ago I had a big bag phone that worked flawlessly, for the last 7 years I haven't been able to get a signal at my house with the newest and greatest digital.

Julie R.
11-19-2012, 12:58 AM
I live in one of those areas, only 50 miles from Washington D.C. We have worse internet and cell service than Third World countries. We also don't have a good enough southern exposure for satellite internet nor is it possible to use the inexpensive internet phone services--we depend on our land lines for communication.

charly_t
11-19-2012, 12:58 AM
In my view the free cell phones were a good idea gone wild. To begin with it was not a well known thing and not many people around here had them. Then some interprising politician decided to use them to curry favor with some voters. At least it seems that way to me. We have neighbors who gave up their land line and do business with another company now. Now if we want to talk to them we go over to their house 'cause you can't get them on the phone they have now. Sometimes our own cell phone works down in this little valley and sometimes not. Our land line service ain't ( sorry, but I refuse to give up this none word ) good either.

Julie R.
11-19-2012, 01:05 AM
Our land line service ain't ( sorry, but I refuse to give up this none word ) good either.

That's because land line use is declining and some companies (Verizon) are actively trying to sell off their land line business. Notice how there have been no improvements or innovations in land line phones in years? When we lose our phone during storms or need a technician out here, it's usually a week and sometimes longer before we can get service back because Verizon has been laying off technicians. If you're unlucky enough to need Verizon for your land phone you basically get treated like garbage.

charly_t
11-19-2012, 01:20 AM
That's because land line use is declining and some companies (Verizon) are actively trying to sell off their land line business. Notice how there have been no improvements or innovations in land line phones in years? When we lose our phone during storms or need a technician out here, it's usually a week and sometimes longer before we can get service back because Verizon has been laying off technicians. If you're unlucky enough to need Verizon for your land phone you basically get treated like garbage.

We have had A T and T for over 30 years at our house in this same little valley. They had this monopoly
for many years before that ( part of that time it was Bell ). Same lines and equipment of course
for all those years. Our service has always been horrible.

Ken Bora
11-19-2012, 07:44 AM
I live in one of those areas, only 50 miles from Washington D.C. We have worse internet and cell service than Third World countries. We also don't have a good enough southern exposure for satellite internet nor is it possible to use the inexpensive internet phone services--we depend on our land lines for communication.

See JD
'tain't just me
same in VA
as in VT
All these fools
want somptin' free
just get a job
like you and me

Julie R.
11-19-2012, 08:14 AM
See JD
'tain't just me
same in VA
as in VT
All these fools
want somptin' free
just get a job
like you and me

JD knows about Fauquier County, Va.; he used to live here. But that was way back before phones; I think they used smoke signals and drum beats back then.:cool: