PDA

View Full Version : Michael Moore Workshop in Oakdale - Report?

Rig
12-10-2012, 09:09 AM
What did those of you who attended Mike Moore's workshop in Oakdale, CA, on the Dec 8 - 9 weekend have to report? How'd it go?

Rig

Enzos Mom
12-10-2012, 01:00 PM
As a newbie to HT/FT, I attended Michael's workshop and I have to say it was awesome! We have only been training since August, but Michael and Lynn made us feel totally welcome and ran marks for my dog that he would be successful in. We had a few issues that Michael helped with and gave lots of great advice. I am thrilled to have gone and met all the great people there. We ran 15 marks in 2 days, someone said one mark was 140 yds, which I know is nothing for you FT's but HUGE for my dude. There were triples and blinds and flyers...lots of fun! It definitely was more of a cerebral workshop.

Codatango
12-10-2012, 04:43 PM
You are right - cerebral is a good description! I went without a dog and learned a TON as well. Many that ran dogs were FT's, and the rest fairly experience HT's, including people who judge in both venues.

Michael's workshop and many like this serve as a BIG reminder of where all successes and failures in the running of the dog begins on the mat, at the line. Many of us were saying: "I knew/know that", but also became MORE AWARE that we were not maintaining a very high standard for our dog's, from exiting the vehicle, to the send to retrieve.

In many HT, mats are used mostly to help with traction in muddy conditions, since judges 'generally' don't want that clearly defined of an area of the line. In training and at a FT, Michael showed us how a mat (2'X3') can be used as a 'positioning' guide for lining the dogs and in creeping issues. I mean, which weed or pebble was it that the dog started at?
If it's not so obvious to dog or handler, it gets ignored by both.

Michael was being very picky about what you need to do at the line to help your dog and then told you what you did or didn't do to make your dog go where you (in most cases) did not want it to. It was all presented in a light hearted way.

Michael was very animated in his presentation, even getting on hands and knees to mimic what the dogs were doing, usually because of (how shall I say) too much or too little influence on the part of the handler. And at times he did a little "handler dance" exaggeration of the the handler moves that are too much influence or unnecessary.

He set up marks and blinds to challenge the handler, to make them think. And it definitely made THE DOGS think. The line was moved up or adjusted if the set-up was beyond the dog's experience.

It was a great weekend!

Debbie Tandoc,
San Jose, CA

jefish1
12-10-2012, 06:34 PM
Im New to the sport and found it to be quite informative. I am Learning alot of things in training but was glad to see somethings i am doing wrong and work on those things. My dog Micah is a derby dog and he was given some some difficult marks with one very close flyer which he has not had much experience on and he remained steady.

sunnydee
12-10-2012, 06:55 PM
Had to be on the road 20 hours to attend but it was well worth the drive. I have no doubt that I will be a better handler and a better team player after attending Michael seminar. I could spend hours writing down all that I learned but if you people reading this really want to know, you will just have to attend Michaels next seminar or wait until the DVD comes out. Thanks again Michael and Lynn, I had a great time.

tntdse
12-11-2012, 09:10 AM
Well we all know Michael Moore has the knowledge and ability to win a field trial, but does he have the knowledge and ability to teach? The answer would be yes he does! Mr. Moore did a wonderful job communicating the importance of winnning and that six foot circle around you the dog and the mat. The setups were technical enough to get the desired results, and as described above Mr. Moore was very clear and animated in his teaching techniques. I believe he is naming his next pup "Fido"! We also learned a new "line" dance that he attempted to call the "Kevorkian". The handlers and observers had great comments and questions. Lynn and her workers did a wonderful job putting it all together and making the fog go away on Sunday! I would have to say this is one of the most informative influential seminars I have attended to date. If you get an opportunity to attend, do not hesitate. It will be well worth your while no matter what level you are currently participating. Great job Michael and Lynn!!

Randy Twist
Sloughhouse, CA

Coastal Goldens
12-12-2012, 01:31 PM
I really enjoyed Michael Moore's handler seminar this past weekend. There was great discussion, practice, critiques and more follow-up discussion. Michael focused on "game day" preparation for the handler and the dog. He reviewed mental preparation including maintaining a positive attitude uner pressure, visualization, and test strtegy as well as the importance of effective body language and verbal communication with you dog on the mat/line. He uses and 80/20 rule when handling: 80% body language and 20% verbal communication. Through anecdotal stories and practical real time examples from participants, Michael illustrated/demonstrated how to be more effective and efficient in handling a dog. Participating handlers worked on coming to the line and lining up for both marks and blinds. I got a lot of take away tips for working more successfully with my dog. The seminar was conducted in a relaxed manner with plenty of humor. Belly laughs were had by all. Also, kudos to Lynn Moore, the set-up crew and the Gunners for a great job of keeping things moving.

Meg Beck
Pebble Beach