PDA

View Full Version : OK one last question

JDogger
12-18-2012, 09:28 PM
I visited Cabelas today. The accessories for my Ruger 10-22 include folding stocks, pistol-grips, flash-supressors, high capacity magazines, lazer scopes, etc. But it's rimfire. Do I need to hide my Ruger? JD

MooseGooser
12-19-2012, 12:35 AM
I seem to vaguely remember , it wAs a .22 caliber revolver that was used to shoot Jim Brady.

I would feel a bit uncomfortable spouting off my ownership of a polished tricked out show version of that caliber, but then agin, thats just me, and I believe it's just a matter of time before all you lefties can applaud the large piles of confiscated weapons they will burn .

you did it to yourselves

JDogger
12-19-2012, 12:58 AM
I seem to vaguely remember , it wAs a .22 caliber revolver that was used to shoot Jim Brady.

I would feel a bit uncomfortable spouting off my ownership of a polished tricked out show version of that caliber, but then agin, thats just me, and I believe it's just a matter of time before all you lefties can applaud the large piles of confiscated weapons they will burn .

you did it to yourselves

You as a rightie once again misunderstood my post. I own a factory stock Ruger 10-22. The accessories I mentioned are for sale at Cabelas. My question was directed at if I bought them and outfited the gun with these legal accessories would it then make it an assault rifle?
I'm on your side Mike. Do you get it? JD

MooseGooser
12-19-2012, 10:21 AM
I dont think YOU get it!!

Folks forget the Brady Bill was develpoed from at actions of a person using a .22 caliber revolver.
It was this scary so called assult weapon.
It wasnt a center fire, higher power cartridge.
Gun control happened !!! It was a .22 that was used...

If you actually believe that the left,, is going to be" level headed" (what a joke)and come after just that so called"assult Rifle" and large capacity magazines,, you are delusional! They want you ruger 10/22 weather it stock, polished,,has a flashlight attached to it. They want your GUN!!
.22 semi auto, revolver, single shot,,, In the end,, they want that gun severly regulated!

I myself would be payin more attention to the AMMO for these guns,,, The Taxtion that is sure to come,, the regulation on manufactures and even home reloading buffs ,, that will make AMMO expensive,, or very hard to get..

I have posted information in the past about the small arms treaty.. the OAS
Ihave been laughed at!! Told its FOX news spreading falsehoods ect...
Well here it comes!!

This is what OBAMA was after all along!!!!!!
he has tried to go behind doors to get it put into affect..
he told folks "get Even" VOTE!!!

He now has the "perfect Storm, to advance his agenda!!!
We deserve this!!! The Majority Voted!!! We only have ourselves to blame... But HEY!! maybe I can upgrade my Phone!!!Cheaply..... Wait!... prolly wont Qualify!!

Here is what he meant!!!

http://www.davekopel.com/2a/Mags/oas-treaty.htm

dixidawg
12-19-2012, 10:28 AM
How do any of those change the functionality of a 10/22?

Therein lies the problem of trying to demonize an "assault weapon".

They are magazine fed semi auto rifles. no more. No less.

road kill
12-19-2012, 10:33 AM

Yeahbutttt....they look all scarey and stuff.

Just 1 more increment towards the end game, a disarmed citizenry.:cool:

paul young
12-19-2012, 10:43 AM

The high capacity magazine doesn't change the functionality, but it sure changes a firearm's lethality. Not sure why a flash suppressor is desirable unless you're hunting at night. The other accessories are for show.-Paul

dixidawg
12-19-2012, 10:56 AM
Paul,

The "flash suppressors" that I have seen have all really been muzzle brakes, and no not suppress flash at all.

As for lethality, I don't know that in any of these tragedies that smaller magazines would have made any difference. Mags can be changed literally in a few seconds, and in my experience the larger capacity mags have a higher propensity to jam.

paul young
12-19-2012, 11:07 AM
Paul,

The "flash suppressors" that I have seen have all really been muzzle brakes, and no not suppress flash at all.

As for lethality, I don't know that in any of these tragedies that smaller magazines would have made any difference. Mags can be changed literally in a few seconds, and in my experience the larger capacity mags have a higher propensity to jam.

It was just an observation. He probably could have done the same amount of mayhem with a revolver and a pocket full of quick loaders in that situation. As I said in the other thread, I think we need to make it much more difficult for anyone to illegally enter a school building.-Paul

coachmo
12-19-2012, 11:12 AM
Many posts on RTF have made reference to the magazine capacity of various weapons and how larger magazines make a firearm more lethal. I agree with dixidawg that magazines can be changed rather quickly regardless of it's capacity. Since many people feel this is a legitimate concern what would be an acceptable maximum number of rounds a magazine should be able to hold? Who will make this determination? Just wondering.

MooseGooser
12-19-2012, 11:21 AM
I am in the mood to get beat up today! so here goes!!

Lets Talk about Image.

I have attended MANY MANY gun shows in the past... I think they have really changed in the past decade or so. many More boothes of "Black Guns" Tatical equiptment, Clothes, Body armour, ect.
Ammo belts that hold large amounts of ammo.. Night taticle scopes, Night range finders..
Desgin guns that really arnt Assult weapons,, Just look like them,,, or,, deliberataly take a normal looking weapon,, and turn it ito someting that LOOKS LIKE, to the uneducated,, something evil,, and to be feared

Whats that Image portray to the gerneral populace? Do you think it breeds fear? Do you think it portrays gun owners as "Kooks"
Do you think the media doesnt salivate over the opportunity to dispaly this??

If we take the attitude,, "Its our right,, and there is nothing you can do about it"
Do you think that attitude will breed fear,,, and the general populace that doesnt understand guns,,,, the second ammendment,, and has slowly become somewhat the majority,, will vote our rights away beacuse of "In your Face" actions.

So so everyone understands where I stand... I am very Pro gun!!

I think we have made a HUGE mistake in displaying a percieved image...

I dont think deliberatly designing guns to LOOK like assult type weapons,,,, or purchasing clothes ,much like a golf ensamble, to make your self look like a weekend swat team member, does our gun rights group much good!!!

I believe we need an Image of "nothing to fear",, and infact,, maybe a preventative against evil..

Go ahead,,, beat me up!!!

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q211/Moosegooser/assult.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q211/Moosegooser/assulttaticle.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q211/Moosegooser/doewithhorns.jpg

Golddogs
12-19-2012, 02:52 PM
I am in the mood to get beat up today! so here goes!!

Lets Talk about Image.

I have attended MANY MANY gun shows in the past... I think they have really changed in the past decade or so. many More boothes of "Black Guns" Tatical equiptment, Clothes, Body armour, ect.
Ammo belts that hold large amounts of ammo.. Night taticle scopes, Night range finders..
Desgin guns that really arnt Assult weapons,, Just look like them,,, or,, deliberataly take a normal looking weapon,, and turn it ito someting that LOOKS LIKE, to the uneducated,, something evil,, and to be feared

Whats that Image portray to the gerneral populace? Do you think it breeds fear? Do you think it portrays gun owners as "Kooks"
Do you think the media doesnt salivate over the opportunity to dispaly this??

If we take the attitude,, "Its our right,, and there is nothing you can do about it"
Do you think that attitude will breed fear,,, and the general populace that doesnt understand guns,,,, the second ammendment,, and has slowly become somewhat the majority,, will vote our rights away beacuse of "In your Face" actions.

So so everyone understands where I stand... I am very Pro gun!!

I think we have made a HUGE mistake in displaying a percieved image...

I dont think deliberatly designing guns to LOOK like assult type weapons,,,, or purchasing clothes ,much like a golf ensamble, to make your self look like a weekend swat team member, does our gun rights group much good!!!

I believe we need an Image of "nothing to fear",, and infact,, maybe a preventative against evil..

Go ahead,,, beat me up!!!

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q211/Moosegooser/assult.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q211/Moosegooser/assulttaticle.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q211/Moosegooser/doewithhorns.jpg

Gooser I don't think you wrong at all. Perception in matters like this are very important, and taking a combative positon hinders the re-education of people who fear all guns. A us against them attitude is not going to help us change perceptions.

Way harder to condem a photo showing a dad and his kids hunting birds than a bunch of pot bellied wanna be swat guys all tricked out.

JDogger
12-22-2012, 12:35 AM
Gooser I don't think you wrong at all. Perception in matters like this are very important, and taking a combative positon hinders the re-education of people who fear all guns. A us against them attitude is not going to help us change perceptions.

Way harder to condem a photo showing a dad and his kids hunting birds than a bunch of pot bellied wanna be swat guys all tricked out.

I'm curious about your third picture here Mike. We see what appears to be young hunter holding a bird, yet he is posed with what appears to be a scoped rifle? Perception is everything. Eh? JD

coachmo
12-22-2012, 12:41 AM
I could be mistaken but that appears to me to be a pronghorn. Eh?

HPL
12-22-2012, 12:43 AM
I'm curious about your third picture here Mike. We see what appears to be young hunter holding a bird, yet he is posed with what appears to be a scoped rifle? Perception is everything. Eh? JD

Look again! That's an Antilocapra americana, ​no feathers, just hooves and hair.

JDogger
12-22-2012, 12:58 AM
Look again! That's an Antilocapra americana, ​no feathers, just hooves and hair.

Yeah, camera angle I guess. Where's the prong horns? In his hands? JD

FWIW I think some of you should recognize that there are pro-gun, hunting lefties out here also. If it wasn't for those like me, your numbers would likely be in decline.
(To quote; ..."just sayin"....) JD

I still have to wonder about pic #1 w/ the pink rifle. M. Baker?

HPL
12-22-2012, 01:13 AM
Our chapter of "The Quail Coalition" has been auctioning and raffling off pink pistols, rifles, shotguns, and tasers for quite a while. Always a big hit!

JDogger
12-22-2012, 02:01 AM
Our chapter of "The Quail Coalition" has been auctioning and raffling off pink pistols, rifles, shotguns, and tasers for quite a while. Always a big hit!

Yeah pink duck calls and pink whistles for breast cancer have been around for a while now. Saw a few around at the fall Grand in OK. JD

MooseGooser
12-22-2012, 10:40 AM
Picture of the young hunter with a "Bird"..... :):)

Young Hunter is my son..

The "Bird" is an antelope...

It was a TROPHY hunt of sorts...

The quest was determined long before even the application for a tag started.. The reason you seevery little Prong of horns,, is because the animal is a Doe.. the Female of the specie.. What make it a bit of a trophy... Was our quest in the hunt. That Doe antelope does have horns... They are small nothing like a Bucks,, but indeed they are there.. Somewhat rare..
It now pairs the buck mount that he took a couple years earlier.

The Wyoming hunt incorporated searchin and spotting, for two days to find one,, (Kinda rare) then approximatly a 3 hour stalk to get into position for the shot.

The Rifle is that Young mans first rifle, given to him by me, five years earlier... Ruger M77, .270 Winchester, with a 3x9 Burris scope..

He managed a 1 shot, 250 yard clean kill.

Gooser

charly_t
12-22-2012, 12:04 PM
Picture of the young hunter with a "Bird"..... :):)

Young Hunter is my son..

The "Bird" is an antelope...

It was a TROPHY hunt of sorts...

The quest was determined long before even the application for a tag started.. The reason you seevery little Prong of horns,, is because the animal is a Doe.. the Female of the specie.. What make it a bit of a trophy... Was our quest in the hunt. That Doe antelope does have horns... They are small nothing like a Bucks,, but indeed they are there.. Somewhat rare..
It now pairs the buck mount that he took a couple years earlier.

The Wyoming hunt incorporated searchin and spotting, for two days to find one,, (Kinda rare) then approximatly a 3 hour stalk to get into position for the shot.

The Rifle is that Young mans first rifle, given to him by me, five years earlier... Ruger M77, .270 Winchester, with a 3x9 Burris scope..

He managed a 1 shot, 250 yard clean kill.

Gooser

Good memories !

Ken Bora's tag line says a lot though. :-)

Buzz
12-22-2012, 12:32 PM
Yeah, camera angle I guess. Where's the prong horns? In his hands? JD

FWIW I think some of you should recognize that there are pro-gun, hunting lefties out here also. If it wasn't for those like me, your numbers would likely be in decline.
(To quote; ..."just sayin"....) JD

I still have to wonder about pic #1 w/ the pink rifle. M. Baker?

Absolutely right. And Gooser, I hate to scare you, but I think you are right on with your thesis. In the last week I saw two conservatives, o'Reilley and Scarborough asking, just what culture are we defending here?

mjh345
12-22-2012, 12:51 PM
That Doe antelope does have horns... They are small nothing like a Bucks,, but indeed they are there.. Somewhat rare..

Gooser
Congrats to your boy Gooser.
Where I grew up in Colorado horned {haired} female antellope were not all that "rare"

Great memories for you and your boy. Hopefully the anti 2nd amendment whackos wont prevent your son from enjoying similar times with his son

Dan Storts
12-22-2012, 02:30 PM
A Ruger 10/22 is a magazine fed semi auto rifle. I can find many hunting rifles that are magazine fed semi auto rifles. Are they all "assault rifles"?

The media is pumping up "assault STYLE rifles". It is their wording which has to be taken apart. Thus, all the additions to the 10/22 would fit the STYLE, which is a very broad definition. Style could include a gold trigger in the future. Wording is everything!!!!

Buzz
12-22-2012, 04:24 PM
Paul,

I thought that in the Gabby Giffords shooting, bystanders were able to stop the shooter while he changed out magazines.

MooseGooser
12-22-2012, 04:34 PM
Yes !

Not really all that rare,, but the Kid had a Doe tag. He passed 100's of animals before we found a doe with horns that we could get a chance at...

He stuck to his guns,,, wanting to harvest a Doe with horns.

Gooser

road kill
12-22-2012, 04:37 PM
Yes !

Not really all that rare,, but the Kid had a Doe tag. He passed 100's of animals before we found a doe with horns that we could get a chance at...

He stuck to his guns,,, wanting to harvest a Doe with horns.

Gooser

That's awesome Gooser!!!

You have a "hunter" not a killer!!!!
Well done, Dad!!!!!

MooseGooser
12-22-2012, 04:40 PM
I know you are specifically talking about a Ruger 10-22,,, but look at this quote from Californias gun laws in reference to AR style weapons.

CATEGORY 2
AK and AR-15 Series Weapons (Kasler v. Lockyer)
This California Supreme Court decision took effect on August 16, 2000. Under this decision, any firearm ofminor variation of the AK or AR-15 type (i.e., series weapon), regardless of the manufacturer, is a Category 2(Kasler v. Lockyer) assault weapon under the original Roberti-Roos Assault Weapons Control Act of 1989.
All AK and AR-15 series weapons had to be possessed before August 16, 2000 and must have beenregistered on or before January 23, 2001. The Department of Justice is required to identify these seriesweapons and includes in this publication a listing of identified AK and AR-15 series weapons.
It is important to note that removal of a firearm’s characteristics does not affect its status as a Category2 assault weapon. A Category 2 assault weapon is still an assault weapon even if it has no Category 3(SB 23 - generic characteristics) features.Category 2 assault weapons may be of any caliber, including .22 caliber rimfire.