PDA

View Full Version : NY newspaper publishes names, addresses and a map of all local residences who have a

caryalsobrook
12-26-2012, 05:31 PM
A NY newspaper published a list of all local gun owners with addresses and map. The informaton was obtained through the freedom of information act. I wonder whether those who don't possess a gun will be the most disturbed or those that do. Not only do criminals have the addresses but also a map showing homes THAT DO NOT POSSESS A GUN. You think it might have the effect of a run to aquire a gun permit and gun by those that don't have one?

M&K's Retrievers
12-26-2012, 06:35 PM
Someone on Facebook shared the names, addresses and phone numbers of the writer, president, editors and CEO of the paper that published the article. Can't say if the info is accurate. Hope it is.

HPL
12-26-2012, 08:04 PM
Did the paper give a reason for this? What was the point of the article?

caryalsobrook
12-27-2012, 04:27 AM
Did the paper give a reason for this? What was the point of the article?
I guess you would call it a community service. they said they wanted to let the public know if their neighbors had guns. Sort of like letting the community know where the pedifiles of the community lived. Needless the editor and reporter stood proudly as non gun owners. M&K was correct in that the addresses of the editor and publisher were made public on Facebook.

Pals
12-27-2012, 07:55 AM
I guess you would call it a community service. they said they wanted to let the public know if their neighbors had guns. Sort of like letting the community know where the pedifiles of the community lived. Needless the editor and reporter stood proudly as non gun owners. M&K was correct in that the addresses of the editor and publisher were made public on Facebook.

Interesting comparison. Legal gun owners and pediphiles? Quite frankly I find the newspapers actions and their ulterior motive to be disgusting. It is my hope that the people whose privacy they violated will sue the crap out of them. If someone had published the names of every home where a legal civil union or gay marriage license had been obtained you would have heard a large sucking sound followed by a loud screech from the liberal lamestream media. This country has lost its collective mind.

caryalsobrook
12-27-2012, 08:44 AM
Interesting comparison. Legal gun owners and pediphiles? Quite frankly I find the newspapers actions and their ulterior motive to be disgusting. It is my hope that the people whose privacy they violated will sue the crap out of them. If someone had published the names of every home where a legal civil union or gay marriage license had been obtained you would have heard a large sucking sound followed by a loud screech from the liberal lamestream media. This country has lost its collective mind.
The interesting point to me is whether they hurt those who do not have a gun permit as opposed to those who do. Frankly, I would be more upset had I been shown not to have a gun permit. It would be interesting to know those who would want it known publicly that they had no gun in their homes.:)

PS
You might also equate those without gun permits also to those of known pediphiles.

MooseGooser
12-27-2012, 09:42 AM
Low life rag of a Newspaper..

Newspapers are a dying entity.

It would seem to me,, that looking at the pure number of people affected by either the paper showing thay had guns,, or showing they are unprotected,, it would be very easy by the means of Boycott to put that paper out of business.. (both sides should be outraged)

Let those folks that thought they were cute by publishing the information,, have to go out and find another job..

Like I said,, Newspapers are dying on a daily basis

Gerry Clinchy
12-27-2012, 10:45 AM
Actually, I read that the reporter has a CC for his 357 Magnum :-)

HPL
12-27-2012, 11:03 AM
Wonder how many of these guns will be stolen in the next few weeks. I really try to limit the number of folks who know that there are guns in my house just as I don't advertise the camera equipment as both are attractants to thieves, and I can't be home ALL the time.

FOM
12-27-2012, 01:12 PM
You should note that shotguns and rifles in those areas do not require a permit...so there are more than likely several homes with rifles and shotguns not shown on the map...

Terri
12-28-2012, 12:25 AM
My son in law who has a permit to carry a concealed weapon told me before that in his state it is the people who do not have a gun that will most likely be the ones targeted by a criminal with names and address posted of gun owners.

Terri

Blackstone
12-28-2012, 08:21 AM
It appears to be irresponsible journalism. Publishing that list could put people, and their property, at risk. I donít want the contents of my home published in the paper. Itís an invitation for robbery.

road kill
12-28-2012, 08:36 AM
It appears to be irresponsible journalism. Publishing that list could put people, and their property, at risk. I donít want the contents of my home published in the paper. Itís an invitation for robbery.

I agree with you Blackstone.
How ever, be it known I have a CC, I use it and my home is not a place you want to break into.

I have a very large, very mean Black dog, and I have a loaded firearm within arms reach of my bed, my easy chair and my desk in the "Man Cave."
Actually, now that I think of it, I may have even more than those about, loaded.

I might add I fired expert every single visit to the range in my military career (once a month).
Golden "E's!"

As far as the loaded shotgun (Stoger 3500 with 5 rounds of Prairie Storm #4), I may not be real good with that firearm, but then I don't have to be!!!!!:D

"If you step to me, you had best come correct!!":cool:

caryalsobrook
12-28-2012, 08:49 AM

So it only APPEARS TO BE IRRESPONSIBLE JOURNALISM????? What else could it be?

Blackstone
12-28-2012, 09:07 AM
I agree with you Blackstone.
How ever, be it known I have a CC, I use it and my home is not a place you want to break into.

I have a very large, very mean Black dog, and I have a loaded firearm within arms reach of my bed, my easy chair and my desk in the "Man Cave."
Actually, now that I think of it, I may have even more than those about, loaded.

I might add I fired expert every single visit to the range in my military career (once a month).
Golden "E's!"

As far as the loaded shotgun (Stoger 3500 with 5 rounds of Prairie Storm #4), I may not be real good with that firearm, but then I don't have to be!!!!!:D

"If you step to me, you had best come correct!!":cool:

A lab that will bite? Where did you find him? :p

The real problem Stan, is that a criminal will simple case you house rob you at a time when no one is home. Plus, if they know they may potentially be confronted by a home owner with a gun, they will come prepared to meet you with equal force. One of your best defenses in that situation is the element of surprise. You have an advantage if the robber doesn't know you're armed.

road kill
12-28-2012, 09:33 AM
A lab that will bite? Where did you find him? :p
SHHHHHHH......
The real problem Stan, is that a criminal will simple case you house rob you at a time when no one is home. Plus, if they know they may potentially be confronted by a home owner with a gun, they will come prepared to meet you with equal force. One of your best defenses in that situation is the element of surprise. You have an advantage if the robber doesn't know you're armed.

Then why would responsible news media publish that info?

Just askin'............

I already know why.

M&K's Retrievers
12-28-2012, 10:54 AM
The sound and flash of a .44 mag in a dark room would probably make an intruder crap all over themselves even if you missed them with the first shot.

Gerry Clinchy
12-28-2012, 10:55 AM
So ... the knowledge that there could be a gun in the home would be somewhat of a deterent, even if not a complete "guarantee" that your home would be entered. The criminal will either choose your home when you are not there, and steal the guns as well ... although that refrigerator gun safe shown on the main Forum might make that more difficult :-)

I would guess that there is also no guarantee that the criminal who invaded the gun-less home would not be armed?

Smartest criminal would ALWAYS choose the home when nobody is home :-)

Maybe EVERYONE, even those who will never purchase a firearm, should get permits? Then the criminals would not know which homes had a weapon and which did not. Nor would the govt know which had a weapon and which did not ... just in case someone passed a law for confiscation of weapons, it would make the process more difficult :-)

Maybe those permit-holders in that area should encourage their neighbors to also get permits ... for their own safety?

This was, at first, a lighthearted thought ... but it begins to seem less laughable the longer I think about it.

150class
12-28-2012, 02:05 PM
is there a link to any of this? either the newspaper or a FB link or anything
Im stunned by this

charly_t
12-28-2012, 02:17 PM
Maybe EVERYONE, even those who will never purchase a firearm, should get permits? Then the criminals would not know which homes had a weapon and which did not. Nor would the govt know which had a weapon and which did not ... just in case someone passed a law for confiscation of weapons, it would make the process more difficult :-)

Maybe those permit-holders in that area should encourage their neighbors to also get permits ... for their own safety?

This was, at first, a lighthearted thought ... but it begins to seem less laughable the longer I think about it.

Best thoughts that I have heard in a good while ( and you have made a lot of good ones in the past ).

caryalsobrook
01-02-2013, 04:00 PM
Article by Fox news. NY State Rifle and Pistol assn. in battle with the newspaper. It has pointed out that judges, former and current police officers, stalked and battered people who have permits are listed. The funny part is that a bloger go hold of the names and addresses of the 50 journalists and put it on the internet. The newspaper has hired ARMED GUARDS at the paper. Interesting:rolleyes:

BuddyJ
01-02-2013, 06:20 PM
Why have they hired guards? Have they been threatened in any way? And why should they have armed guards, isn't that what the police are for?

PamK
01-02-2013, 10:13 PM
Why have they hired guards? Have they been threatened in any way? And why should they have armed guards, isn't that what the police are for?

They were afraid of all of the threatening phone calls they were getting.

caryalsobrook
01-03-2013, 06:04 AM
They were afraid of all of the threatening phone calls they were getting.

My guess is that the most frequent phone call they have had is "CANCEL MY SUBSCRIPTION" or maybe "HOW DO YOU LIKE YOUR NAMES AND ADDRESSES POSSTED TOO?"

Of course, I have no proof. Do you? Have they filed a police complaint of threatening phone calls. Just enlighten us.

PamK
01-03-2013, 10:29 AM
I heard it on the news radio station i listen to.

Julie R.
01-03-2013, 10:53 AM
A few years ago, a Virginia paper published the names and addresses of everyone in the state who had a CCW along with a story about who's packing among their locally prominent citizenry. The reporter and the paper, the Roanoke Times, stirred up a real hornets' nest of angry protesters including law enforcement officers and crime victims who rightfully felt their safety had been compromised. Fortunately the current VA governor Bob McDonnell, who was then attorney general, agreed with the outrage over the list's publication and he closed access to the public records (the reporter had obtained them via the FOIA).The closure then became a state law signed by then-Gov. Tim Kaine (D) in 2009, proving that it wasn't just the rabid right wingers that thought publishing names/addresses of CCW permit holders was not only foolish, but dangerous. Now, the general public can only access statistics, not names and addresses. Every state should follow suit.

PamK
01-03-2013, 10:57 AM
Then there is someone sending them "white powder"

http://news.yahoo.com/someone-sent-white-power-paper-published-gun-permit-151541248.html

huntinman
01-03-2013, 11:53 AM
Article by Fox news. NY State Rifle and Pistol assn. in battle with the newspaper. It has pointed out that judges, former and current police officers, stalked and battered people who have permits are listed. The funny part is that a bloger go hold of the names and addresses of the 50 journalists and put it on the internet. The newspaper has hired ARMED GUARDS at the paper. Interesting:rolleyes:

Did the publish the names and addresses of the armed guards??

caryalsobrook
01-03-2013, 12:22 PM
Did the publish the names and addresses of the armed guards??

Did they publish the names and addresses of their own employees who had gun permits?

PamK
01-03-2013, 04:54 PM
Some one else published the names and addresses of all of the journalists and editors of the paper.

huntinman
01-03-2013, 05:31 PM
Some one else published the names and addresses of all of the journalists and editors of the paper.

Exactly, as they should have. Cary's question and mine above it were facetious. You know damn well they wouldn't out their own employees who had gun permits. It's pretty two faced of them to even hire armed guards if they are so against guns... That's the whole point... But then again, that is the liberal way... Do as we say, not as we do.

Gerry Clinchy
01-04-2013, 02:23 PM
Now CT wants to do the same thing for the whole state of CT. What a great idea ... NOT.

The clerk in Putnam Co. refused to release their list. He said that the FOIL law allowed him to refuse if he believed it would endanger public safety. However, based on a precedent with the WJS 30 years ago, he may not win that one.

Meanwhile, some "bad guys" came forward to say that they would have loved to have such a list when they were burglars.

road kill
01-08-2013, 05:30 AM
This has totally blown up in the secular progrssives face.
The list is NOT accurate and may well have violated many laws.
Names on the list include those who have died, those that are protected by court orders against stalkers, LEO and the like.

The left is pathetic.............maybe we should list those who recieve entitlements?
Gays??
Recipients of abortions?
Illegal aliens???

No, just outdated innacurate lists that play to your ideology.

You leftys all must be very proud!!!

dixidawg
01-15-2013, 10:52 AM
Ever wonder what they REALLY think about Gun free zones?????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt1Zy_ASNyA&feature=player_embedded#!

Gerry Clinchy
01-15-2013, 12:02 PM
Ever wonder what they REALLY think about Gun free zones?????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt1Zy_ASNyA&feature=player_embedded#!

Actually, I think it would be kind of cool if the gunowners had accepted the signs ... and watched what happened when they had those signs on their lawns. "Surprise, bad guys! I lied!"

road kill
01-19-2013, 06:36 AM
Well, that didn't go the way the progressives wanted now did it??

Journal News Removes Controversial Gun Map

AP | By By JIM FITZGERALD Posted: 01/18/2013 5:55 pm EST | Updated: 01/18/2013 7:48 pm EST

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. (AP) — A suburban New York newspaper that outraged gun owners by posting the names and addresses of residents with handgun permits removed the information from its website Friday.

The Journal News took down the data just three days after the state enacted a gun control law that included privacy provisions for permit holders.

The provisions were a reaction to interactive maps the newspaper published on LoHud.com that pinpointed thousands of permit holders in Westchester and Rockland counties.

Gun rights activists had immediately complained that permit owners' privacy was being violated. They said the map could guide burglars to their homes while police groups claimed the map could lead ex-convicts to the officers who had put them away.

The addresses of some Journal News staffers were posted online, and threats were called in to the newspaper's offices. The newspaper hired armed guards in response. (That's some funny sheet right there)
Janet Hasson, president and publisher of The Journal News Media Group, said in an emailed statement, "While the new law does not require us to remove the data, we believe that doing so complies with its spirit."

She said the maps had been viewed nearly 1.2 million times since they were published Dec. 23. The newspaper sought the records under the state Freedom of Information Law after the Dec. 14 elementary school shooting in Newtown, Conn., where a gunman who had killed his mother at home killed 20 first-graders and six educators and then committed suicide.

The maps remained online late Friday but could no longer be manipulated to find names and addresses.

State Sen. Greg Ball, the most vocal opponent of the posting, said, "Thank God The Journal News has finally realized the error in their judgment and done the right thing. ... I am proud to have passed legislation keeping The Journal News from doing this ever again."

On Tuesday, as part of a gun control bill, the state Legislature passed and Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed new regulations that give permit holders several ways to opt out of the public record.

Applicants can ask to be exempted because they are police officers or served on criminal-case juries or are victims of domestic violence. They also can just say they might be subjected to harassment.

Hasson said Friday, "One of our core missions as a newspaper is to empower our readers with as much information as possible on the critical issues they face, and guns have certainly become a top issue since the massacre in nearby Newtown, Conn."