PDA

View Full Version : And Congress gets a raise ...

Gerry Clinchy
12-30-2012, 02:11 PM
Quietly, Friday I think, Obama reversed his executive order freezing the wages of Federal employees, including Joe Biden (since Joe Biden is not a member of Congress, he had to be included separately, I guess).

It's only about 1/2 of 1% ... but do any of them deserve a raise? Obama keeps telling us what a sorry record Congress has, and how they're not doing their job ... but everybody now gets a raise.

While the general public has seen their wages decrease (most impactfully both the upper and lower middle class that Obama says he loves so much), Federal employees get a raise? Not to mention their neat pension and health care benefit programs. While cities and towns go bankrupt and states are running dangerously high deficits, and those govt employees are losing both their jobs and pensions, the Feds get a raise?

Spending cuts? Not for the Feds.

Guess this is what "flexibility" means?

And, supposedly this is legal since the freeze was by executive order, it can also be reversed the same way.

hotel4dogs
12-30-2012, 03:37 PM
can only sit and shake my head. Where does it stop?

MooseGooser
12-30-2012, 03:57 PM
"The Practicle authoity of the Govenment rest on the consent of the Governed."

In Obamas Mind,, His wishes are a mandate of the people.. The majoity (of who voted) elected him..

Some voted as a "Protest"
Others stayed Home fo the same reason.. (Apathy)

We have a Long ,Long road in front of us all.. We only have ourselves to blame...

Where does it stop???? It has to stop with each and every one of us....

HPL
12-30-2012, 03:57 PM
Personally I think we should cut their salaries to no more than the average salary of the US citizen, do away with their pensions, and make them have the same health care program as any other federal employee. Cost of living in DC too high, build a barracks for them to live in while in DC. Maybe it should be like the Texas legislature and only meet every other year.

charly_t
12-30-2012, 04:11 PM
Personally I think we should cut their salaries to no more than the average salary of the US citizen, do away with their pensions, and make them have the same health care program as any other federal employee. Cost of living in DC too high, build a barracks for them to live in while in DC. Maybe it should be like the Texas legislature and only meet every other year.

Clap ! Clap ! Clap !

BonMallari
12-30-2012, 04:14 PM
It will stop when the American VOTING public refuses to re elect the incumbents, unfortunately very few have the guts and to be honest the alternatives arent the best, so we might be cutting off our noses to spite our faces...everyone want the incumbents out, just not THEIR OWN state incumbent

and right now it might be better if they didnt convene at all, because they sure as heck aint getting anything noteworthy done

Thomas D
12-30-2012, 04:48 PM
Interesting reading:

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/uscongress/a/congresspay.htm

M&K's Retrievers
12-30-2012, 05:27 PM
Pitiful. Their arrogance knows no bounds.

Tim Trammell
12-30-2012, 06:40 PM
out of touch

Gerry Clinchy
12-31-2012, 01:10 PM
Every time we have a debt ceiling crisis, the scare tactics include SS checks and military paychecks that may not be able to go out; and Medicare payments, etc. How come they never mention Congressional paychecks? Or maybe putting the DOE and EPA on 4-day weeks? Since senior citizens don't have a union, I guess it's easier to stop their checks than it is to fight the union to cut back Fed employee compensation by shorter work weeks. Guess it's even easier to threaten the military (and they DO have those assault weapons!) than it is to fight the union :-)

Heck, they could probably shut down Dept of Energy and Dept of Education entirely for a couple of weeks and nobody would notice.

BTW, is there nothing in the Constitution that REQUIRES Congress to pass a budget? It seems surreal that this could go on for FOUR consecutive years, and there are no consequences for this failure.

Uncle Bill
12-31-2012, 03:46 PM
Every time we have a debt ceiling crisis, the scare tactics include SS checks and military paychecks that may not be able to go out; and Medicare payments, etc. How come they never mention Congressional paychecks? Or maybe putting the DOE and EPA on 4-day weeks? Since senior citizens don't have a union, I guess it's easier to stop their checks than it is to fight the union to cut back Fed employee compensation by shorter work weeks. Guess it's even easier to threaten the military (and they DO have those assault weapons!) than it is to fight the union :-)

Heck, they could probably shut down Dept of Energy and Dept of Education entirely for a couple of weeks and nobody would notice.

BTW, is there nothing in the Constitution that REQUIRES Congress to pass a budget? It seems surreal that this could go on for FOUR consecutive years, and there are no consequences for this failure.

Yes there is, Gerry...and the Senate, and especially that pathetic object running that body, Dingy Harry, deserve to be impeached for derelict of duty, and not keeping their oath to protect the Constitution. Talk about elections having consequences...I apologize to everyone here for ousting Tom Dashole. I never realized there was a WORSE individual available for that spot, but obviously I was in error.

As to the two cabinet level departments you mention, we could do without them FOREVER! The sooner the better.

UB