PDA

View Full Version : S. 2230 in New York - New gun ban that has been passed in NY.

FOM
01-15-2013, 05:31 PM
http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/news-from-nra-ila/2013/statement-from-the-national-rifle-association-of-america-regarding-the-passage-of-s-2230-in-new-york.aspx?s&st&ps

So it begins...this was passed just prior to midnight yesterday (Monday). No public input, no real legislative debate - just passed...

Daniel J Simoens
01-15-2013, 05:38 PM
here's the text of the bill
http://open.nysenate.gov/legislation/bill/S2230-2013

M&K's Retrievers
01-15-2013, 06:40 PM
It's New York. California East.

charly_t
01-15-2013, 06:58 PM
"S. 2230 in New York - New gun band that has been passed in NY.
http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/ne...k.aspx?s&st&ps

So it begins...this was passed just prior to midnight yesterday (Monday). No public input, no real legislative debate - just passed... "

I am probably the worst on not always having my spelling correct ...... but....could you, please, correct your spelling on the word ban. Sure want everyone to value what you posted ;-)

FOM
01-15-2013, 07:11 PM
"S. 2230 in New York - New gun band that has been passed in NY.
http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/ne...k.aspx?s&st&ps

So it begins...this was passed just prior to midnight yesterday (Monday). No public input, no real legislative debate - just passed... "

I am probably the worst on not always having my spelling correct ...... but....could you, please, correct your spelling on the word ban. Sure want everyone to value what you posted ;-)

KNOW, I will not, I shall not! ;)

DSO
01-15-2013, 08:04 PM
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/15/16515653-new-york-passes-major-gun-control-law-first-since-newtown-massacre?lite

Yup, I'm screwed. Can't say I'm surprised. Always said I was born in the wrong state. Stuck here till the kids get out of school. Like Lainee said... No public input / legislative debate / couple of dissenters who were willing to give a quote after the bill passed but that's it. I don't own any black guns but I sure respect those who do and purchase them correctly and legally. Don't care how many round mags they own. Kind of sucked to go into my gun safe and pull the rotary mag out of my Ruger 77/22 and see how many rounds it holds. I'm OK... It only holds 10 so I'm "grandfathered in". BFD...! I'm still a criminal if I put more than 7 rounds in it. No more ordering my 2 cases of shotgun shells from rogers before waterfowl season and having them shipped free to my house. Now I have to go through a dealer with a FFL. Other states are sure to follow but your Democratic nominee for the 2016 Presidential election was not going to let the Newtown tragedy go to waste. Knee jerk feel good legislation at its finest. I could puke.

Danny

Sabireley
01-15-2013, 09:01 PM
Snip from the law...

"Clips able to hold seven to 10 rounds can be possessed, but cannot be loaded with more than seven rounds. If an owner is found to have eight or more bullets in a magazine, he or she could face a misdemeanor charge"

Really?? That is the dumbest thing I have ever read.

wayne anderson
01-15-2013, 09:41 PM
Just consider the source...hope this nonsense does not spread west--at least to fly-over land.

Susie Royer
01-15-2013, 09:42 PM
Kind of sucked to go into my gun safe and pull the rotary mag out of my Ruger 77/22 and see how many rounds it holds. I'm OK... It only holds 10 so I'm "grandfathered in". BFD...! I'm still a criminal if I put more than 7 rounds in it. No more ordering my 2 cases of shotgun shells from rogers before waterfowl season and having them shipped free to my house. Now I have to go through a dealer with a FFL.

Sad thing is the bad guys don't count and their not going to buy their ammo through a licensed dealer...this is such a sad day!

huntinman
01-15-2013, 09:48 PM
It's not a sad day... It's the most insane, idiotic thing these liberal dum sh*ts have pulled yet. Problem is, it's only getting worse,as we have a bunch of limp noodles in congress that will not fight.

HPL
01-15-2013, 10:06 PM
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/15/16515653-new-york-passes-major-gun-control-law-first-since-newtown-massacre?lite

Yup, I'm screwed. Can't say I'm surprised. Always said I was born in the wrong state. Stuck here till the kids get out of school. Like Lainee said... No public input / legislative debate / couple of dissenters who were willing to give a quote after the bill passed but that's it. I don't own any black guns but I sure respect those who do and purchase them correctly and legally. Don't care how many round mags they own. Kind of sucked to go into my gun safe and pull the rotary mag out of my Ruger 77/22 and see how many rounds it holds. I'm OK... It only holds 10 so I'm "grandfathered in". BFD...! I'm still a criminal if I put more than 7 rounds in it. No more ordering my 2 cases of shotgun shells from rogers before waterfowl season and having them shipped free to my house. Now I have to go through a dealer with a FFL. Other states are sure to follow but your Democratic nominee for the 2016 Presidential election was not going to let the Newtown tragedy go to waste. Knee jerk feel good legislation at its finest. I could puke.

Danny

Looks like you're pretty close to Pa. What are their laws like? Go get your ammo there.

charly_t
01-15-2013, 11:42 PM

LOL. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

HPL
01-15-2013, 11:53 PM

Don't you mean "Know eye will knot, eye shall knot"?

charly_t
01-16-2013, 01:43 AM
Don't you mean "Know eye will knot, eye shall knot"?

Shouldn't it then be "Know eye will knot, aye shall naught".

HPL
01-16-2013, 01:52 AM
Shouldn't it then be "Know eye will knot, aye shall naught".

I'll give you the "aye", but naught is knot pronounced not.

mngundog
01-16-2013, 02:00 AM
Wow, everyone was looking for Obama to get the ball rolling and here it was a Republican run Senate that stole the show.

"It is well-balanced, it protects the Second Amendment," said Senate Republican leader Dean Skelos of Long Island.

huntinman
01-16-2013, 10:08 AM
A republican in NY is about the same as a lib anywhere else...

For proof all you have to do is look at Nanny Bloomberg... Who keeps flopping back and forth.

Thomas D
01-16-2013, 11:29 AM
Snip from the law...

"Clips able to hold seven to 10 rounds can be possessed, but cannot be loaded with more than seven rounds. If an owner is found to have eight or more bullets in a magazine, he or she could face a misdemeanor charge"

Really?? That is the dumbest thing I have ever read.

If the clip cannot be loaded with more than 7 rounds, could you have one in the chamber?

road kill
01-16-2013, 11:36 AM
For clarification;

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/thunder12345/clipsandmagskq9.png

FOM
01-16-2013, 12:51 PM
Stan - I will say I'm guilty of using the term clip instead of magazine...and yes I knew/know there is a difference, but I use them interchangeably....call the semantics police on me!

mngundog
01-16-2013, 12:57 PM
Stan - I will say I'm guilty of using the term clip instead of magazine...and yes I knew/know there is a difference, but I use them interchangeably....call the semantics police on me!
I was in law enforcement for 10+ years, been through countless gun classes and did competition pistol shoots, I believe most people use the name interchangeably.

charly_t
01-16-2013, 01:32 PM
I'll give you the "aye", but naught is knot pronounced not.

LOL. You're correct but then have you listened to some people speak. Of course my hearing is going. :-)

road kill
01-16-2013, 02:16 PM

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e171/otr_man/G-POLICE.jpg

I couldn't find the "semantics police."
Will this guy do????

road kill
01-16-2013, 02:16 PM
I was in law enforcement for 10+ years, been through countless gun classes and did competition pistol shoots, I believe most people use the name interchangeably.

I was NOT in law enforcement, I have been through and taught countless gun & hunter safety classes, shoot and shot competition for about 30+ years and I belivieve most people do NOT know the difference, and that is why they use them interchangeably.:cool:

Daniel J Simoens
01-16-2013, 02:23 PM
I like using the term clip because it gets people like Stan in a little tizzy!!

HPL
01-16-2013, 02:28 PM
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e171/otr_man/G-POLICE.jpg

I couldn't find the "semantics police."
Will this guy do????

In a word, NO.

road kill
01-16-2013, 02:40 PM
In a word, NO.
No offense HPL, but the question wasn't directed to you............I'll probably wait and see what FOM has to say.
I imagine the humor will be seen.

mngundog
01-16-2013, 02:52 PM
I was NOT in law enforcement, I have been through and taught countless gun & hunter safety classes, shoot and shot competition for about 30+ years and I belivieve most people do NOT know the difference, and that is why they use them interchangeably.:cool:
I had an English teacher like that, anytime a student asked for a kleenex she would say "facial tissue", the term "clip" in handguns being synonymous with "magazine" predates me IMO.

road kill
01-16-2013, 02:56 PM
I had an English teacher like that, anytime a student asked for a kleenex she would say "facial tissue", the term "clip" in handguns being synonymous with "magazine" predates me IMO.

I am clearly NOT an english teacher!!:(
My point was that many words like "assault," "hi-powered," "clip," and "magazine" are misused sometimes.
And I don't think that it is always by accident.

Not insinuating you or FOM have done such.........just a point of clarification.

And, not trying to insult anyone.........I actually saw this on another site and thought it funny.
Evidently I am alone.

mngundog
01-16-2013, 03:13 PM
I am clearly NOT an english teacher!!:(
My point was that many words like "assault," "hi-powered," "clip," and "magazine" are misused sometimes.
And I don't think that it is always by accident.

Not insinuating you or FOM have done such.........just a point of clarification.

And, not trying to insult anyone.........I actually saw this on another site and thought it funny.
Evidently I am alone.
Its all good. :D

cotts135
01-16-2013, 03:47 PM
Not much I can say about this bill except there is one provision in it that was long overdue.

It is called Marks Law and is named after Mark Davies an EMT that I graduated EMT school with, worked and responded to calls with and who was tragically shot and killed responding to a 911 call.

The killer was deemed mentally incompetent and received a sentence of 12 years.

The law now says if you kill an EMT while he is responding to a call and your convicted it is mandatory sentence of life without parole.

Long overdue.

duckheads
01-16-2013, 04:36 PM
Not much I can say about this bill except there is one provision in it that was long overdue.

It is called Marks Law and is named after Mark Davies an EMT that I graduated EMT school with, worked and responded to calls with and who was tragically shot and killed responding to a 911 call.

The killer was deemed mentally incompetent and received a sentence of 12 years.

The law now says if you kill an EMT while he is responding to a call and your convicted it is mandatory sentence of life without parole.

Long overdue.

So an EMT's life is worth more than the average Joe's life? This is as bad as the hate crime laws. Killing someone is killing someone regardless of who is killed and should be treated the same. If that is life without parole so be it!

HPL
01-16-2013, 06:08 PM
So an EMT's life is worth more than the average Joe's life? This is as bad as the hate crime laws. Killing someone is killing someone regardless of who is killed and should be treated the same. If that is life without parole so be it!

Maybe, but........... It might be that knowing that killing a fireman or other "first responder" is going to get you life would be a deterrent. How often do firemen and EMT become targets? Is this a law addressing a problem that doesn't exist?

luvmylabs23139
01-16-2013, 06:13 PM
Maybe, but........... It might be that knowing that killing a fireman or other "first responder" is going to get you life would be a deterrent. How often do firemen and EMT become targets? Is this a law addressing a problem that doesn't exist?
2 firefighters were killed by a nut in NY shortly after Sandy Hook. So while rare it just happened in NY. Maybe it gave them a republican vote from that local district. Of course the real issue is why was that convicted murderer even out of jail to begin with.

mngundog
01-16-2013, 06:32 PM
2 firefighters were killed by a nut in NY shortly after Sandy Hook. So while rare it just happened in NY. Maybe it gave them a republican vote from that local district. Of course the real issue is why was that convicted murderer even out of jail to begin with.
Its not that rare, we had a local police officer here that was killed in an ambush killing recently, last year 19 officers were killed in ambush killings. The law makes it first degree murder for such attacks, its trying to stop it from happening, not putting a value of live by career choice.

huntinman
01-16-2013, 06:39 PM
Maybe it help if our judicial system would start by enforcing some of the laws we have on the books. And our lawmaker could slow down a little on creating all these new laws... Although I don't have a problem with this specific law...

luvmylabs23139
01-16-2013, 06:57 PM
Its not that rare, we had a local police officer here that was killed in an ambush killing recently, last year 19 officers were killed in ambush killings. The law makes it first degree murder for such attacks, its trying to stop it from happening, not putting a value of live by career choice.

This law is not about police officers but rather Emts and firefighters. It already was the law for killing a cop.

charly_t
01-16-2013, 08:30 PM
Maybe it help if our judicial system would start by enforcing some of the laws we have on the books. And our lawmaker could slow down a little on creating all these new laws... Although I don't have a problem with this specific law...

Ditto !

Been wondering when someone would put this problem in simple terms. 'We ( read lawmakers ) are going to put more people in harms way so the already slain can sleep in peace'. This little problem of people not thinking clearly is getting worse all the time. I am very sorry for those who have lost family members to violence but making it difficult for the rest of us to protect ourselves and our families is not smart. It does not undo the harm already done and only makes it easier for the lawless to commit crimes against the rest of us.

Matt Weberpal
01-16-2013, 10:27 PM
Honest question, does this law inhibit citizens of new York from protecting themselves?

HPL
01-16-2013, 10:52 PM
Honest question, does this law inhibit citizens of new York from protecting themselves?

I think that charly was referring to "Mark's Law" but more to the statutes enacted by the NY legislature (gun bans as a specific example).

HPL
01-16-2013, 11:00 PM

Is that 19 nationwide? How many firefighters and EMT get targeted on average? I'm not discounting the loss of any of these folks, but are a handful of tragic crimes enough to justify new legislation? Every law has costs and often unforeseen consequences.

mngundog
01-16-2013, 11:37 PM
Is that 19 nationwide? How many firefighters and EMT get targeted on average? I'm not discounting the loss of any of these folks, but are a handful of tragic crimes enough to justify new legislation? Every law has costs and often unforeseen consequences.
The number was nationwide, don't know about the numbers of first responders targeted, but skimming through fireman's magazines they mention cases of them happening, a believe a few ambulances were shot up last year. I am of the belief that we have enough laws on the books already.

luvmylabs23139
01-18-2013, 12:12 AM

Yes! Just look at the lady in Georgia. She had 6 rounds and hit with 5 but the guy was still able to leave get in a car and drive. What if he was not alone? 5 rounds did not stop him!

huntinman
01-18-2013, 08:09 AM
Yes! Just look at the lady in Georgia. She had 6 rounds and hit with 5 but the guy was still able to leave get in a car and drive. What if he was not alone? 5 rounds did not stop him!

That's why I taught my wife to use a 20 gauge shotgun... When I'm not home it's loaded and handy for her to get to quickly.. Only have to hit him once...

road kill
01-18-2013, 08:55 AM
That's why I taught my wife to use a 20 gauge shotgun... When I'm not home it's loaded and handy for her to get to quickly.. Only have to hit him once...
Ditto.........a 3.5" #2 Black Cloud to the face will leave an enduring memory!

M&K's Retrievers
01-18-2013, 09:43 AM
Ditto.........a 3.5" #2 Black Cloud to the face will leave an enduring memory!

So will OO buck.