PDA

View Full Version : Obama's Gun Control Plan

FOM
01-16-2013, 01:12 PM
http://nation.foxnews.com/gun-control/2013/01/16/obamas-23-executive-actions-guns

Enjoy...on the surface it seems harmless and I'll admit there are a couple points I like, but for the most part its "pork" to fund useless studies! Gonna cost us $500 million?? Dear Lord....

Edit: I specifically like #12 and #18 - I think those two items are much needed.

HPL
01-16-2013, 01:21 PM
This one is a bit interesting: 16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes. OK with me I guess as long as I can answer "None of your business".

Read more: http://nation.foxnews.com/gun-control/2013/01/16/obamas-23-executive-actions-guns#ixzz2IAEET7n5

Eric Johnson
01-16-2013, 02:29 PM
"9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations. "

Does this include guns in the Fast and Furious program?

Buzz
01-16-2013, 02:41 PM
http://nation.foxnews.com/gun-control/2013/01/16/obamas-23-executive-actions-guns

Enjoy...on the surface it seems harmless and I'll admit there are a couple points I like, but for the most part its "pork" to fund useless studies! Gonna cost us $500 million?? Dear Lord....

Edit: I specifically like #12 and #18 - I think those two items are much needed.

The NRA suggested armed police in every school. I saw a study claiming that would cost something like $8 billion/year...

road kill
01-16-2013, 02:43 PM
The NRA suggested armed police in every school. I saw a study claiming that would cost something like $8 billion/year...
I just read this bureaucracy will cost $42 billion/year.

What's your point????

Dustin D
01-16-2013, 02:55 PM
What makes me nervous is the mental aspect of it all. At which point to they declare any Veteran with PTSD is too mentally handicap to own a firearm?

Dustin D
01-16-2013, 02:56 PM

Sounds HIGH! but is it not worth it?

What do you suggest?

Anything short of Confiscation is nonsense by Anti-Gunners

road kill
01-16-2013, 03:00 PM
What makes me nervous is the mental aspect of it all. At which point to they declare any Veteran with PTSD is too mentally handicap to own a firearm?
A few years ago I had to meet with a "shrink."
(have fun with that!)
It was due to "grief counseling."
The hospital kind of sprung it on me when I was visiting there during the last days of an intense, stressfull event.

I guess that visit might preclude me from purchasing a firearm????

There is also a stigma attached to having served in Souteast Asia.

That may as well present issues.
Depending on who is looking and from where.

Daniel J Simoens
01-16-2013, 03:05 PM
another point of interest, if I'm a legal firearm owning individual and am having mental 'issues' wouldn't it be in my best interest to not get the help I need??

huntinman
01-16-2013, 03:06 PM

The day he separates from the military.

road kill
01-16-2013, 03:07 PM
another point of interest, if I'm a legal firearm owning individual and am having mental 'issues' wouldn't it be in my best interest to not get the help I need??
hmmmmmm......unintended consequence?

Buzz
01-16-2013, 03:14 PM
I just read this bureaucracy will cost $42 billion/year.

What's your point????

I was responding to her comment that this was going to cost us 500 million.

My POINT was that no one flew off the handle about the cost when good ol Wayne made his proposal.

Once again I wonder why I even try...

luvmylabs23139
01-16-2013, 03:17 PM
OK but how much of that is already being spent for armed police in schools prior to Sandy Hook?
Many high schools already had cops in schools due to issues within the student body rather than outside threats. You would have to start by backing out those billions.

road kill
01-16-2013, 03:42 PM
I was responding to her comment that this was going to cost us 500 million.

My POINT was that no one flew off the handle about the cost when good ol Wayne made his proposal.

Once again I wonder why I even try...

Buzz, relax, I was just askin'...........;-)

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e98/girl2010/iloveyouman.gif

starjack
01-16-2013, 04:59 PM
Just a thought why not take welfare cases case by case. When there is any fraud they get there welfare pulled. In return we take all the fraud money we get and use to put armed guards in our schools. Here another one. All tho i am not at retirement age i am sure there there are many ex miltary, police, prison guards that would jump at the chance for a part time job to help supplement there income. We all see the reports about how we grant money of why pig poop stinks or to study some rare ants. Why not stop all those program and use that money to help pay for it.

Marvin S
01-16-2013, 05:31 PM

My generation will not be paying that bill, yours will, so think carefully of what you want done. Making schools allowable gun zones is the most cost effective way & will be the best deterrent, IMO.

Dan Storts
01-16-2013, 05:35 PM
Keys words which have different meaning.

#1 Relevant data
#2 Legal barriers
#3 Incentives
#4 Dangerous people (could be a clown to some people afraid of clowns)
#5 Rulemaking (it not even a word. They just made it up. It either has to be hyphenated or 2 different words)
#6 Guidance
#7 Campaign
#8 Nothing terrible here but it will make the cost of these products increase.
#9 Memorandum
#10 We will never see the report.
#11 ATF Director (who know nobody was ever running this department. That is why we had fast and furious)
#12 School officials ( I am struggling because who is this person. Police and first responders have the training and official would not cover a Principal. Thus, they are going to create new positions.)
#13 Efforts
#14 Memorandum ( there it is again)
#15 Innovative technologies
#16 Clarify (yes I believe the NRA was able to sneak in the ACA and now we need it out.)
#17 Clarifying (Again that sneaky NRA)
#18 Resource officers (Creating new positions to build National Education Union paying due members)
#19 Develop model (Cookie cutter)
#20 Clarifying (Again)
#21 Clarifying (Again)
#22 Finalizing ( Really wanted to use clarify but didn't want to be redundant.)
#23 Dialogue (ACA help)

It really looks like 14 to 23 is trying to clean up issues which are now problems with implementation of the ACA.

Remember don't let a good crisis go to waste. (Rum Emanuel)

HPL
01-16-2013, 05:49 PM
Couldn't figure out ACA so I googled it and I want to know how the American Chiropractic Assoc. figures into this particular discussion.

HPL
01-16-2013, 05:51 PM

Who did the study? What about training a few folks already on faculty or staff and then giving them a slight bump in pay?

luvmylabs23139
01-16-2013, 06:09 PM
Couldn't figure out ACA so I googled it and I want to know how the American Chiropractic Assoc. figures into this particular discussion.

Affordable Care Act better known as Obamacare

huntinman
01-16-2013, 06:14 PM
Who did the study? What about training a few folks already on faculty or staff and then giving them a slight bump in pay?

What about just getting the govt out of it? If someone has a carry permit and has the legal right to carry, fine...

They would be better served trying to control the wackos doing the shooting as opposed to wasting millions on guards at every school. What if the guard is sitting on the can when a shooter shows up? Knee jerk reactions are usually a waste of time.

Dan Storts
01-16-2013, 07:59 PM
This has nothing to with controlling the wackos from getting guns but gaining more control/information over the general public.

The governor of Maryland is trying for guns laws comparable to New York while at the same banning executions.

The Democratic Party has been pushing for more gun control while at the same time giving convicted felons the right to vote.

BTW there was not anything in the presidents proposal against movie or video violence. Oh they are major campaign donors.

Now really who are the trying to protect?

HPL
01-16-2013, 08:11 PM
What about just getting the govt out of it? If someone has a carry permit and has the legal right to carry, fine...

They would be better served trying to control the wackos doing the shooting as opposed to wasting millions on guards at every school. What if the guard is sitting on the can when a shooter shows up? Knee jerk reactions are usually a waste of time.

This has nothing to with controlling the wackos from getting guns but gaining more control/information over the general public.

The governor of Maryland is trying for guns laws comparable to New York while at the same banning executions.

The Democratic Party has been pushing for more gun control while at the same time giving convicted felons the right to vote.

BTW there was not anything in the presidents proposal against movie or video violence. Oh they are major campaign donors.

Now really who are the trying to protect?

Ditto. I absolutely agree. I have been saying all along that everyone is looking for a solution to a non-existant problem (if we are talking about mass killings in schools or malls or theaters or where ever).

JDogger
01-16-2013, 11:41 PM
What about just getting the govt out of it? If someone has a carry permit and has the legal right to carry, fine... How very obtuse. Get the govt out of it? Who do you think issues CC permits? The Boy Scouts? The Shrine Circus? The local state govt issues CC permits, unless of course you just carry of your own free will. Please tell us here on PP that you do...

Good post, BD

HPL
01-17-2013, 10:15 AM
Here's a scenario to go with Obama's #16 (doctors including questions about guns in a regular exam).

Doctor: Mr Smith, do you have any firearms in your household?

Mr. Smith: None of your @###!@!!%$#!! business!!

Doctor: Well, Mr. Smith, I see that questions concerning firearms seem to cause you undue agitation. Hmmmm.

Doctor: Hello Sheriff, Mr. Smith was in my office today and he gave me reason to be concerned about his mental state and I believe that he may have one or more firearms in his possession, and could possibly injure himself or others.

Sheriff: OK deputies, we have the house surrounded, I'm going to knock on the door now, but be aware that we have a potentially armed and dangerous person in the house, so don't take any chances.

Anybody out there think that this is not possible?

road kill
01-17-2013, 10:18 AM
I read the EO's, nary a word about addressing the criminals.

huntinman
01-17-2013, 10:21 AM
No crap... My state issued mine... I am saying keep the Feds out of the whole thing. They have proven over the course of history that they can't even deliver the mail. Keep them out of our schools too. Every program they dream up is just another way to create more govt employees (read union members... Aka Dem voters)

M&K's Retrievers
01-17-2013, 10:26 AM
Good post, BD

I'm thinking he is referring to the Feds.

Dan Storts
01-17-2013, 12:18 PM
Here's a scenario to go with Obama's #16 (doctors including questions about guns in a regular exam).

Doctor: Mr Smith, do you have any firearms in your household?

Mr. Smith: None of your @###!@!!%$#!! business!!

Doctor: Well, Mr. Smith, I see that questions concerning firearms seem to cause you undue agitation. Hmmmm.

Doctor: Hello Sheriff, Mr. Smith was in my office today and he gave me reason to be concerned about his mental state and I believe that he may have one or more firearms in his possession, and could possibly injure himself or others.

Sheriff: OK deputies, we have the house surrounded, I'm going to knock on the door now, but be aware that we have a potentially armed and dangerous person in the house, so don't take any chances.

Anybody out there think that this is not possible?

Trail lawyer dream.

Mr. Smith is seeing a psychiatrist and no report is filed by the doctor.

Mr. Smith goes out and shoots Mr. Jones 2 weeks later.

Mr. Jones family finds out that Mr. Smith was seeing a psychiatrist and files a malpractice lawsuit. This is, of course, after finding a very good trail lawyer.

Think this will not happen? Think their malpractice insurance is going to increase? Who in there right mind, pardon the pun, would go into this field?

huntinman
01-17-2013, 12:24 PM
Most shrinks are not in their "right mind" anyway. Have some in the family...

BonMallari
01-17-2013, 12:39 PM
one of the questions on my son's pediatrician form was "...are there firearms in the house"

if my brother asks if they have guns, it's probably because he wants to see if they want to go hunting with him ....

HPL
01-17-2013, 02:20 PM
one of the questions on my son's pediatrician form was "...are there firearms in the house"

if my brother asks if they have guns, it's probably because he wants to see if they want to go hunting with him ....

How did you answer?

BonMallari
01-17-2013, 02:47 PM
How did you answer?

I think I answered yes, in a locked case (which mine are)...this was about six years ago

charly_t
01-17-2013, 03:45 PM
Most shrinks are not in their "right mind" anyway. Have some in the family...

I don't care who you are that is funny.

huntinman
01-17-2013, 03:54 PM
I think I answered yes, in a locked case (which mine are)...this was about six years ago

I would have said "none in the house...I carry all of mine with me".

M&K's Retrievers
01-17-2013, 03:57 PM

Does under the seat count??

Gerry Clinchy
01-25-2013, 11:44 PM
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/s480x480/154097_495325293844656_467947212_n.jpg

charly_t
01-26-2013, 12:26 AM
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/s480x480/154097_495325293844656_467947212_n.jpg

Good One ! ...........