PDA

View Full Version : The changing face of PP

JDogger
02-06-2013, 11:42 PM
In the last year or so we've seen the tone of PP change. Many are gone and do not post any longer, or only seldom, both from the right and the left. Others post incessantly, many times a day. Somtimes replying to their own OP repeatedly.
Question is, why? At one time there was debate. Now mostly just carping.
We are years from any new elections, but candidates are being touted already.

Getting bored regards, JD

PS I'm probably gonna be sorry in the morning that I posted this....but that is the blessing. Ya start a thread, ya can end a thread....JD

BonMallari
02-07-2013, 12:13 AM
JDogger :you bring up a good point..IMO its just a mirror image of what is happening in the country..the lawmakers talk about having a "meaningful debate" or "engage in some dialogue", but in essence no one is willing to compromise, they want to beat their opponent into submission, they think that its the only way to get them to come over to their way of thinking

Same goes on the main board...a newbie comes aboard and asks an innocent open question about training methods, and is then bludgeoned with opinions from every angle, some go so far as to inquire why they would even train the way they do...Short of trying to convince someone to change their Party affiliation, or their religion (if they are so inclined), what makes people think they can change and make a person switch training methods..

In all honesty, has anyone here on POTUS ever been influenced to change their vote, their Party affiliation, the way they train dogs ?

I think people grow weary of the same tired rhetoric and schtick from each of us. We ALL have a certain on line personna,and like many relationships we get bored and become uninteresting to each other...Here we are arguing over the same subjects that we were last year, the results of the election didnt change anyone's mind,the only subject that changes may be that of the top headlines of the day...

I remember when someone suggested that POTUS was nothing more than a "circle jerk" of right wing fanatics....nothing could be further from the truth..there are more liberals or center-left leaning people here on PP than at any other time in my time here

Good subject matter JD...

road kill
02-07-2013, 05:14 AM
JD,
Much like America, POTUS has changed.

The way things were is gone, we gotta deal with it.

Not being a smart azz........just life.

I learned a long time ago............"nothing lasts forever!"

It might be nice to blame 1 cause, reason or person But I beleive this to be a microcosm of life in general.

PEACE OUT!!!!!:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHvf20Y6eoM

Marvin S
02-07-2013, 09:12 AM
In the last year or so we've seen the tone of PP change. Many are gone and do not post any longer, or only seldom, both from the right and the left. Others post incessantly, many times a day. Somtimes replying to their own OP repeatedly.

PS I'm probably gonna be sorry in the morning that I posted this....but that is the blessing. Ya start a thread, ya can end a thread....JD

I'll ask you - what have you added in the last couple of years?

There have been attempts to enhance the conversation - but those attempts didn't go very far. But what does someone from NM have to add to the conversation any way?

If you read most of the threads on POTUS & the FB threads you will find some very interesting folks. Beauty contest, chinchilla packer & chicken farmer regards :cool:.

M&K's Retrievers
02-07-2013, 10:15 AM
What was the question?

Gerry Clinchy
02-07-2013, 11:09 AM
In the last year or so we've seen the tone of PP change. Many are gone and do not post any longer, or only seldom, both from the right and the left. Others post incessantly, many times a day. Somtimes replying to their own OP

That seems reasonable ... if the OP has an interest in the topic, and others then offer comments, that develops a discussion of a topic of interest to the OP. Not everyone will have interest in all the topics introduced.

Question is, why? At one time there was debate.
I thought that a few of us of the female gender had a good discussion on abortion, both respectful and useful.

Discussion won't necessarily change anyone's mind, but if done rationally, it can give those on each side of an issue some insight and respect for those on the other side.

Now mostly just carping.

carp·ing [kahr-ping] Show IPAadjective1.characterized by fussy or petulant faultfinding; querulous:carping criticism.

I guess it depends on how one views the complaints of the flaws we see in our environment whether the faultfinding would be considered "petulant" or "fussy".

Why not? Is it not the nature of our system that one has to plan for the future? The general opinion seems to be that the R party is dead. If the Rs don't start examining why they lost in 2012, that could turn out to be correct. The D's certainly haven't stopped campaigning for their next POTUS candidate ... regardless of who it may turn out to be.

duk4me
02-07-2013, 04:06 PM
I'll ask you - what have you added in the last couple of years?

There have been attempts to enhance the conversation - but those attempts didn't go very far. But what does someone from NM have to add to the conversation any way?

If you read most of the threads on POTUS & the FB threads you will find some very interesting folks. Beauty contest, chinchilla packer & chicken farmer regards :cool:.

Poultry producer to you Marvin S.:cool:

roseberry
02-07-2013, 04:21 PM

"chicken farmer"............such a slanderous label.:cool:

BonMallari
02-07-2013, 04:50 PM

as the saying goes..."you cant make chicken salad out of chicken schiat " and you need a chicken farmer to produce that...

disclaimer : mother worked at a poultry dressing plant, so I have seen my fair share of chickens being plucked

Marvin S
02-07-2013, 05:31 PM

Growing up organic we would buy 100 white leghorn chicks - unsexed (don't even know if they did that in those days). We would get about 50 pullets & 50 roosters - Eating pan fried spring frier was really neat, my grandma could cook them! In the fall we would take the remainder, usually about 30 - hook them to the clothes line & whack off their heads. When they were bled, into the hot scalding water they went & off came the feathers (one job I got out of as I my hands were too tender to handle the hot feathers), clean, cutup & into the quart jars - close to 60. There is nothing like the gelatin from canned chicken cold :cool:. The old hens went to chicken & dumplings.

As I got older used to do the same with pheasants that we spotlited & knocked in the head in the stubble fields - a true delicacy :).

duk4me
02-07-2013, 05:38 PM

I don't raise no fat yeller chickens......honest they are white and fat.

Bon its an inside joke from another thread. :) the slanderous part
Bo knows chicken......regards.

M&K's Retrievers
02-07-2013, 05:42 PM
I thought it was "chicken rancher". I bet it stinks when you brand them.

duk4me
02-07-2013, 05:45 PM
Growing up organic we would buy 100 white leghorn chicks - unsexed (don't even know if they did that in those days). We would get about 50 pullets & 50 roosters - Eating pan fried spring frier was really neat, my grandma could cook them! In the fall we would take the remainder, usually about 30 - hook them to the clothes line & whack off their heads. When they were bled, into the hot scalding water they went & off came the feathers (one job I got out of as I my hands were too tender to handle the hot feathers), clean, cutup & into the quart jars - close to 60. There is nothing like the gelatin from canned chicken cold :cool:. The old hens went to chicken & dumplings.

As I got older used to do the same with pheasants that we spotlited & knocked in the head in the stubble fields - a true delicacy :).

Processing is still very similar to how you did it in your youth. Well on a much bigger scale.

duk4me
02-07-2013, 06:02 PM
I thought it was "chicken rancher". I bet it stinks when you brand them.

It stinks period.

blind ambition
02-07-2013, 06:04 PM
Processing is still very similar to how you did it in your youth. Well on a much bigger scale.

How far does your clothesline stretch?

duk4me
02-07-2013, 07:18 PM
How far does your clothesline stretch? It would shock you to see it. Of course it isn't my clothesline they just put my pets on it.

Marvin S
02-07-2013, 07:31 PM
It stinks period.

We farmed before the days of farming the government - rotational crops rather than SBeans & corn. Though 1/2 went to corn. After harvest the field that was going to get the chicken manure got disced, usually a corn field cut for silage, & the chicken barn got cleaned. Oats was the preferred crop & in those days you could see where the chicken manure had gone by yield. Fortunately we were fairly modern with a slide under the roosts to allow the manure to come forward & hinged roosts to clear the way, but it was still hand scooping. I used to hate that job as you felt like there were little critters crawling all over you after the barn cleaning. We then sprayed & were ready for the next years load :). It was hot stuff, more so than the other manures produced.

Eggs & cream made sure a lot of farmers were able to afford something.

JDogger
02-07-2013, 08:46 PM
We farmed before the days of farming the government - rotational crops rather than SBeans & corn. Though 1/2 went to corn. After harvest the field that was going to get the chicken manure got disced, usually a corn field cut for silage, & the chicken barn got cleaned. Oats was the preferred crop & in those days you could see where the chicken manure had gone by yield. Fortunately we were fairly modern with a slide under the roosts to allow the manure to come forward & hinged roosts to clear the way, but it was still hand scooping. I used to hate that job as you felt like there were little critters crawling all over you after the barn cleaning. We then sprayed & were ready for the next years load :). It was hot stuff, more so than the other manures produced.

Eggs & cream made sure a lot of farmers were able to afford something.

How far a thead may slide to GDG is well evidenced. Thank you, boys.... I am entertained. The vision of Marvin scooping chicken manure will stay...in fact it will be hard to ignore. Do I need to insert a smiley here??? JD

Marvin S
02-07-2013, 10:15 PM
The vision of Marvin scooping chicken manure will stay...

JD, it's honest productive labor, maybe a little too close to the real world for some folks, I have the feeling you might be in that group. I never felt I was above that level of work. It also builds a confidence in one's ability to deal with any situation.

I could tell you about a lot of situations our animal friends place us in - they don't know any better. Imagine what it was like pulling a calf in those days or being face first in the pig manure as one of those little darlings decided the best way of escape was at ankle level :).

JDogger
02-07-2013, 11:48 PM
JD, it's honest productive labor, maybe a little too close to the real world for some folks, I have the feeling you might be in that group. I never felt I was above that level of work. It also builds a confidence in one's ability to deal with any situation.

I could tell you about a lot of situations our animal friends place us in - they don't know any better. Imagine what it was like pulling a calf in those days or being face first in the pig manure as one of those little darlings decided the best way of escape was at ankle level :).

Marvin, I find your condescending tone offensive. NM is both an agricultural state and one that practices animal husbandry on a broad level. I have bred and raised chickens and a variety of game birds, to include mallards, pheasants, chukar and quail, not to mention pigeons. I have assisted calving and branding many times. I'll concede the pig poop to you however since you seem to revel rolling in it. :cool:

starjack
02-08-2013, 01:06 PM
How far a thead may slide to GDG is well evidenced. Thank you, boys.... I am entertained. The vision of Marvin scooping chicken manure will stay...in fact it will be hard to ignore. Do I need to insert a smiley here??? JDMaybe because of the one whom started the thread.

Marvin S
02-08-2013, 05:02 PM
Marvin, I find your condescending tone offensive.

You get a B in comprehension - no effort at condensation, just a shot of sarcasm

I have bred and raised chickens and a variety of game birds, to include mallards, pheasants, chukar and quail, not to mention pigeons. I have assisted calving and branding many times.

Thanks for a little effort toward defining yourself - I see a combination of Martha Stewart scattering grain to her flock & the charges of Jack Palance in "City Slickers" :).

JDogger
02-08-2013, 06:35 PM
A nerd is someone who is passionate about or obsessed with scholarly fields, intellectual activities, and esoteric knowledge. The interests of a nerd could include, but are not limited to the following: mathematics, the sciences, linguistics, and technology.

A geek is someone who is passionate about or obsessed with a specific subject or cultural following, which does not necessarily have to be intellectually-based. The interests of a geek are far more specific than the interests of a nerd, and could include interests that would otherwise be considered interests of a nerd. A geek could be interested in anything; it's the intensity and depth of their interest that "deems" them a geek. Such interests include, but are not limited to theater, culinary arts, music, movies, photography, computers, video games, and much more.

A dork is someone who is socially inept and awkward. A dork does not have to be a nerd or geek to be considered a dork.

By my definitions of the words "nerd" and "geek", the terms are only interchangeable when the interests involved are intellectual. For example, someone who is deeply interested in astronomy could be considered both a nerd and a geek; however, someone who is obsessed with such things as Star Wars could be considered a geek, but cannot be considered a nerd. When social ineptitude is present, then a nerd or geek can also be considered a dork.

Now, I know that there are people out there that have their own definitions of the three words, in some cases even having the exact opposite definitions of "nerd" and "geek", but this is just how I define them.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2s6sfvs.jpg

duk4me
02-08-2013, 06:45 PM
Did they legalize MJ in NM and the PNW?

JDogger
02-08-2013, 06:53 PM
Did they legalize MJ in NM and the PNW?

In a period of realitive political ennui, perhaps playing the dozens can serve to entertain us on PP.

Yo' Mama regards, JD

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ennui

duk4me
02-08-2013, 07:07 PM
In a period of realitive political ennui, perhaps playing the dozens can serve to entertain us on PP.

Yo' Mama regards, JD

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ennui

Appears I was correct. I wish you would leave my Mother out of this. She is a lady of class and I guess you just answered your question about pp.

I miss alot of the intelligent posters right and left and tonight you remind me of why they left.

Styx, too much time on my hands, regards,

Buzz
02-08-2013, 07:43 PM

For someone who works more than full time, it just isn't in the cards to spend the time necessary to have a discussion. So now I just look in now and then. I don't really even look in on the dog stuff much any more.

JDogger
02-08-2013, 08:01 PM
Maybe because of the one whom started the thread.

Are you sure of who vs. whom? I'm not. Maybe we should consult Marvin, the ultimate arbiter of all grammar and spelling. JD

JDogger
02-08-2013, 08:24 PM
I miss alot of the intelligent posters right and left ,

That would be who? Specifically please? Try to do better than, "well, not you...." JD

Jeeze, I better post a lot of smilies, :p JD

DSO
02-09-2013, 05:48 AM
That would be who? Specifically please? Try to do better than, "well, not you...." JD

Jeeze, I better post a lot of smilies, :p JD
I still think PP is a great read but two I miss are Hew and Yardley. Yardley was scary smart and always seemed to have evidence to back up his points. Our politics were polar opposite but you couldn't help but be impressed by the guy. Hew, very current, very smart, and really had a way with words. I remember when he told someone " You're like a Carl Rove wet dream". I about pi$$ed myself.

Danny

Ken Bora
02-09-2013, 06:46 AM
....... Others post incessantly, many times a day. Somtimes replying to their own OP repeatedly.....JD

your bathroom mirror broke?:rolleyes:

roseberry
02-09-2013, 07:34 AM
A geek is someone who is passionate about or obsessed with a specific subject or cultural following, which does not necessarily have to be intellectually-based. The interests of a geek are far more specific than the interests of a nerd, and could include interests that would otherwise be considered interests of a nerd. A geek could be interested in anything; it's the intensity and depth of their interest that "deems" them a geek. Such interests include, but are not limited to theater, culinary arts, music, movies, photography, computers, video games, DOG TRAINING and much more.

you left one out!

mjh345
02-09-2013, 07:43 AM
Hey You calling me a geek, Mccallie?:)

Marvin S
02-09-2013, 12:37 PM
I still think PP is a great read but two I miss are Hew and Yardley. Yardley was scary smart and always seemed to have evidence to back up his points. Our politics were polar opposite but you couldn't help but be impressed by the guy. Hew, very current, very smart, and really had a way with words. I remember when he told someone " You're like a Carl Rove wet dream". I about pi$$ed myself.

Danny

Danny - never confuse verbiage with quality :confused:. Some folks on this forum have a much different style than Yardley, his was verbiage squared. I do miss HEW, he was very good at cutting to the quick & making a point without a bushel full of words.

We have some whose presence would help if they visited more often but there is real life. I don't believe anyone here is more scary smart than many others, which would have included Yardley when he used to post - all you have to do is look at the professions represented to realize those folks ain't stupid. I personally read Julie R & the syrup guy for their very sensible posts, realizing they live on the East Coast so don't have a lot of role models for their line of thinking, which makes their posts all the more outstanding.

This place is like a FT, even if your game is above standard someone will have the background to "wipe your eye". For the individual who is used to being the smartest person in the room & desires that title, it's not available on this forum with all the talented folks. Some people leave because they can't stand that level of competition or go into the personal mode as their schtick don't work here :).

Henry V
02-12-2013, 07:35 AM
For someone who works more than full time, it just isn't in the cards to spend the time necessary to have a discussion. So now I just look in now and then. I don't really even look in on the dog stuff much any more.
I would only add that there are only a couple of people here who are truly interested in having "a discussion". Most others just seem to want high fives for posting their right wing talking points.

road kill
02-12-2013, 07:59 AM
I would only add that there are only a couple of people here who are truly interested in having "a discussion". Most others just seem to want high fives for posting their right wing talking points.
Yup, all the leftys (sambo/menmon, murral stark, roger perry, dnf777 to name but a few) were so intellectually superior it is tragic you guys have to be around the unwashed opposing veiw.

You know, there are 2 sides to every thing and just because you don't like it doesn't make it wrong.

It's like picking a fight, getting your BUTT kicked then whining about getting picked on.
My heart bleeds for you.

Put your big boy pants on.

Now, maybe some lefty can respond with an insult about my wife.

(low five)

Marvin S
02-12-2013, 08:10 AM

How many threads have you quit on because you were not gaining the upper hand? When you approach it as a competition rather than a discussion there are those who will accomodate you :o. I for one believe you could add to a serious discussion on some subjects but believe you've failed to do so.