PDA

View Full Version : What are YOU Reading/Listening To???

road kill
02-10-2013, 07:11 AM
I just read "Killing Kennedy" by Bill O'Reilly.

Incredible detail, lot's of stuff I didn't know behind the scenes.

In the end, the results were still the same.

What about you?:D

zeus3925
02-10-2013, 07:51 AM
"Collapse" by Jared Diamond. It is a study of the reasons societies rise and fall and the self inflicted factors that lead to their end.

junbe
02-10-2013, 08:00 AM
The First Americans--Pre-Clovis People--Solutrean Hypothesis, Coastal Migration Hypothesis: these are in addition to the Land Bridge Hypothesis. Interesting research at the Aucilla River site in northern Florida. All of these indicate Pre-Clovis cultures with different technologies. There is more to life than just dogs and politics!

luvalab
02-10-2013, 08:18 AM
The French Lieutenant's Woman, an authorially narcissistic post-post-modern tour de force that examines the Victorians through the eyes of the '60's. A great read, and fascinating, and also hollow and amoral and totally unsatisfying... On purpose, though, therefore demanding the reader to consider the consequences of said....

Oh, never mind. It's a great book, but I'm glad it's over.

I have a bunch of short stories to read until the next.

I want to read a baseball book next--suggestions welcome.

Brad Turner
02-10-2013, 08:29 AM
"Veil" by Bob Woodward. Secret wars of the CIA during the Reagan administration.

BTW, I love reading books that people recommend.

Sarge, if you enjoy "Collapse" you would probably enjoy "Guns, Germs and Steel" by Diamond.

I would also recommend that you guys read "The Source" by James Michener. It's historical fiction, yet gives incredible insight into the conflicts of the Middle East.

mjh345
02-10-2013, 08:43 AM
Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue

M&K's Retrievers
02-10-2013, 08:52 AM
Calvin and Hobbs

Marvin S
02-10-2013, 09:48 AM
Silent Spring at 50 - Edited by CATO - It's a series of inputs by various authors - a slug but shows how too much science is political & opinionated rather than the real thing. Rachel Carson would qualify as an opinionated POS in today's world but would be a heroine to the MSM.

CATO Press has books on just about any subject you want to explore - very thorough in their presentation but all are pretty dry.

I would also recommend that you guys read "The Source" by James Michener. It's historical fiction, yet gives incredible insight into the conflicts of the Middle East.

If you haven't read every Michener book you should - while it's written as fiction he researches thoroughly. I agree with the "Source" as a very worthy read. The hatred in the ME is centuries old & deep seated :(. We are not going to make it go away by sending our treasure & our troops over there.

"Texas" is a Michener book which includes a real life congressman who gets beaucoup bucks from folks in his meaningless crusade to stop the family business from competition. Long before Wally World but reminds one of our most recent Texan who makes noise, has an audience but does little :p. The only difference being this most recent audience is not as selfish.

Any book by Thomas Sowell, excellent author, the books flow well & tell a lot about the other point of view by those of color.

Michael Barone has a few that are worthy reads.

For light reading, Grisham. Used to be westerns, but there are no more good western writers.

BonMallari
02-10-2013, 10:03 AM
reading : The Bible, (NASB)..Imagine,by Jonah Lehrer

Listening: Pandora app on iPhone; Heart Channel or Three Dog Night Channel

Listening : Sirius XM radio; Mark Levin, Cam and Company,

Listening : Tune In radio app; Laura Ingraham,Randy Galloway

when I am on the road driving long distances, what I listen to is VERY important, helps me to concentrate and makes the time flyby(or at least appear to)

Ken Bora
02-10-2013, 11:57 AM
. .....If you haven't read every Michener book you should - while it's written as fiction he researches thoroughly.............
"Texas" is a Michener book which includes a real life congressman..........

Yup, if you can get through the first couple chapters he feels you have paid your dues and have the background needed to read the story. I am partial to "Chesapeake" myself. The tail of Oink-Or the goose could stand alone, but is but one chapter.
Sad I am not reading anything for fun at all right now. A study of the natural vacume of fluid in a 3/16 tube vs. industry standard 5/16 tube over distances greater than 300 yards is making my brain turn to sap and dribble slowly out of one of my ears.:(

luvalab
02-10-2013, 12:14 PM
Yup, if you can get through the first couple chapters he feels you have paid your dues and have the background needed to read the story. I am partial to "Chesapeake" myself. The tail of Oink-Or the goose could stand alone, but is but one chapter.
Sad I am not reading anything for fun at all right now. A study of the natural vacume of fluid in a 3/16 tube vs. industry standard 5/16 tube over distances greater than 300 yards is making my brain turn to sap and dribble slowly out of one of my ears.:(

Ear sap. Ew.

Uncle Bill
02-10-2013, 03:22 PM
Tom Clancy, Vince Flynn. Tom Sowell, Walter Williams, and a large variety of monthly info letters...from economists, politicians, Doctors, Preachers etc.

UB

Marvin S
02-10-2013, 07:11 PM
I am partial to "Chesapeake" myself. The tail of Oink-Or the goose could stand alone, but is but one chapter.

I find the books to be the history lesson not taught in the schools - can you imagine landing where you would put a blind today & hacking your way to a living with no transport other than the boat or raft you came in on, with oars or sails as the locomotion. Why I like books, like long loose dresses they leave something to the imagination :).

cpj
02-10-2013, 07:15 PM
The Politically Incorrect Guide To American History, Thomas Woods, Economics In One Lesson, Henry Hazlitt, Liberty Defined, Ron Paul, What Has Government Done To Our Money, Murray Rothbard, The Texas Gun Owner's Guide, Korwin and Lockwood.

BrettG
02-10-2013, 07:50 PM
Read I Am Second last week, almost done with Duck Commander Book.

MooseGooser
02-10-2013, 11:13 PM
Taking a free accredited course on the Constitution from Hillsdale College.

Really enjoying it.

Gooser

mudminnow
02-11-2013, 08:14 AM
Bonhoeffer by Eric metaxas, biography of Dietrich Bonhoeffer(Lutheran pastor, spy, martyr during Hitlers reign)
Blood guilt: Christian responses to the war on terror

Listening to: lew Rockwell podcasts, NPR, judge John hodgman podcasts

road kill
02-11-2013, 08:22 AM
Some intellectual HEFT here!!

I recently re-read "Travels with Charly" by some dude named Steinbeck
Read "Make it Stick" by Chip & Dan Heath
Reading "Create a Successful Marketing Plan" (again) by David Gumpert
And of course my monthly edition of;
"American Iron"

Listening to xm radio--Bluesville and Classic vinyl/rewind

Terri
02-11-2013, 09:28 PM
I'm reading The Dressmaker of Khair Khana. It is about a young woman in Afghan who starts her own business to support her family during the Taliban years. I'm waiting for my next book to be delivered. It is A Train in Winter about women in the French Resistance during WWII. Before this book I read Last Night I dreamed of Peace, the diary of Dang Thuy Tram. It was the first time I read a war story from the enemies point of view.

Terri

JDogger
02-11-2013, 10:23 PM
Reading PP. Listening to nothing. :cool: JD

PS Italo Calvino. Italilian short stories from the fifties, sixties and seventies....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italo_Calvino

cpj
02-12-2013, 06:02 PM
Lew Rockwell podcasts are awesome. Got to meet him in Houston recently at The Mises Circle.

Franco
02-12-2013, 10:05 PM
Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue

Me too! They have Kate Upton with a painted on swimsuit...hot!

Listening to "El Camino" album by the Black Keys.

CPJ, I need to renew my subscription to Rockwell's newletters and I do keep up with Mises via Facebook.

Ken Bora
02-12-2013, 10:52 PM
Listening to nothing.

that is so sad :( it is almost midnight my time. I am at the desk brainstorming a lable for a retriever club
this is what I have on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vVxFWLV46A&list=FLp-GcYEWpganqPgqjMUaPYA&index=1

JDogger
02-12-2013, 11:06 PM
that is so sad :( it is almost midnight my time. I am at the desk brainstorming a lable for a retriever club
this is what I have on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vVxFWLV46A&list=FLp-GcYEWpganqPgqjMUaPYA&index=1

Listening to nothing in regards to the posts on PP. Good luck with your label. JD

Ken Bora
02-12-2013, 11:18 PM
and this could be the potus rtf theme song, at times! :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RovF1zsDoeM

M&K's Retrievers
02-12-2013, 11:50 PM

That's great! How did you have the time to put that together? How did you do it?

Ken Bora
02-12-2013, 11:52 PM
dude it is a music video, like mtv back in the '90's ;-)

M&K's Retrievers
02-13-2013, 12:03 AM
dude it is a music video, like mtv back in the '90's ;-)

I know that. It looks like you put it together.

helencalif
02-13-2013, 12:43 AM
Just finished reading Stieg Larsson's trilogy...
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl who Played with Fire
The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

In between Larsson's books 1 and 2 I read one of Vince Flynn's latest.

I usually don't have much time to do that much reading, but once I started the Larsson books, I could not put them down. Alas, no more Stieg Larsson.

Listening: not listening, but I think I want to get some Marley and get hooked on reggae. I think it would be great traveling to trials music. I got a grandson in Hawaii who is a reggae fan. Jawaiian is reggae Hawaii-style. Don't know if I will like it, but he has recommended a few reggae-Jawaiian CDs for me.

Helen

charly_t
02-13-2013, 02:00 PM
Got tired of the real world of today and started ordering old/used books plus reading childhood favorites here on our house. Listening to ( old ) country western songs and music sometimes. Also reading things posted on this forum ( links ). And I get some political things in some of my e-mail stuff of course. I quit listening to Obama and Biden a long time ago.