PDA

View Full Version : IOC ousts wrestling from the Olympics!

zeus3925
02-12-2013, 05:08 PM
The IOC has ousted Wrestling from the Olympics. What's left? Field hockey,squash, wushu, roller sports, karate, sport climbing, and wakeboarding. Wrestling is an original Olympic sport!! Protest vigorously!!

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/12/ioc-drops-wrestling-from-2020-olympics/related/

BonMallari
02-12-2013, 05:14 PM
I agree what about guys like Dan Gable and Rulon Gardner, those are some REAL American Olympians, taking out wrestling is absurd, during the Cold War years there was nothing better than watching Team USA beating a Russian or Soviet Bloc member

huntinman
02-12-2013, 05:50 PM
The IOC has ousted Wrestling from the Olympics. What's left? Field hockey,squash, wushu, roller sports, karate, sport climbing, and wakeboarding. Wrestling is an original Olympic sport!! Protest vigorously!!

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/12/ioc-drops-wrestling-from-2020-olympics/related/

Don't forget Synchronized Swimming and Rythmic Gymnastics (with those long ribbons):rolleyes:

huntinman
02-12-2013, 05:52 PM
I agree what about guys like Dan Gable and Rulon Gardner, those are some REAL American Olympians, taking out wrestling is absurd, during the Cold War years there was nothing better than watching Team USA beating a Russian or Soviet Bloc member

What about the big Russian Bear that Gardner beat? He was a beast for years...

mngundog
02-12-2013, 10:31 PM

Wow I quit watching after chariot racing and pankration were removed.

duckheads
02-13-2013, 08:12 AM
Wow I quit watching after chariot racing and pankration were removed.

I don't know if you are trying to be funny but you are not and it makes you sound like an ass!

roseberry
02-13-2013, 08:26 AM
What about the big Russian Bear that Gardner beat? He was a beast for years...

what about kurt angle? he is still pretty good!

Ken Bora
02-13-2013, 08:40 AM
Protest vigorously!!

to whom, how?
events do come and go, I know.
how does the man on the street make change?
can we swap it back for two man luge? that has to go!

edit for the southern fellers, this is two man luge - http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/today/11361501#11361501
this vid is worth the five min of your life. you will giggle all morning!

shawninthesticks
02-13-2013, 09:01 AM
They are taking it out because no other country dominates it like us.

Its the only sport that it in the end win or lose, you did it by yourself, for yourself and the most important muscle is heart.

Its probably to violent for all the " yuppies "

zeus3925
02-13-2013, 09:49 AM

Its the only sport that it in the end win or lose, you did it by yourself, for yourself and the most important muscle is heart.

Turkey has long been dominant in the sport and Russia is also a power house.

road kill
02-13-2013, 09:59 AM

zeuss, I am with you on this.
Wrestling is the very ESSENCE of the Olympics!
But it's not pretty enough for TV!

As usual, follow the money!

M&K's Retrievers
02-13-2013, 10:01 AM
to whom, how?

edit for the southern fellers, this is two man luge - http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/today/11361501#11361501

I can honestly say that the 5 minutes I spent watching this exceeds the total viewing time I have watching these two clowns since they have been on the air. ;)

twall
02-13-2013, 10:07 AM
I haven't followed the olympics like I once did. I remember staying up to watch the Spinks brothers fight. I was surprised to hear that wrestling is being dropped. While not the most popular sport, it epitomizes what I think the olympics should represent. It doesn't get anymore mona-a-mano than wrestling.

Tom

mngundog
02-13-2013, 10:25 AM

1. Wrong
2. Wrong
3. Wrong

I don't know if you are trying to be funny but you are not and it makes you sound like an ass!

Chariot races and pankration were two of the early events, they are now gone and its still the Olympics, so removing an event like wrestling is not going to hurt its appeal to most people.

Golddogs
02-13-2013, 10:50 AM

But keep syncronized swimming and rythmic gymnastics ? And add Rugby! A sport played in one country.

I wonder what color the sky is in their world

huntinman
02-13-2013, 04:47 PM
But keep syncronized swimming and rythmic gymnastics ? And add Rugby! A sport played in one country.

I think you are confusing Rugby with Australian Rules Football. Rugby is definitely played in more than one country. Played 8 years of it right here in the good old USA. But its popular in maybe more than one country. FWIW, I still don't see it replacing wrestling...

duk4me
02-13-2013, 04:51 PM
Didn't Jim Brown play Rugby in college?

BonMallari
02-13-2013, 06:30 PM

Jim Brown was a Lacrosse star at Syracuse

HPL
02-13-2013, 06:47 PM
to whom, how?

We've ALL seen your avatar, and I remember seeing a photo of you wielding a chainsaw, and the image of you giggling makes me smile.

huntinman
02-13-2013, 06:52 PM

Don't know, but GW played at Yale

http://wesclark.com/rrr/bush_yale.jpg

luvalab
02-13-2013, 07:25 PM
Even being a girl, even not understanding wrestling in the least, many of my memories of the Olympics are of wrestling and boxing. I watch the Olympics hoping that they will be as good as they used to be--and then there's no wrestling or boxing coverage--and I'm totally disappointed.

The Olympics have jumped the shark. :(

duk4me
02-13-2013, 08:50 PM
Jim Brown was a Lacrosse star at Syracuse

Thanks, I knew it was a sport that wasn't familiar in our area.

mjh345
02-13-2013, 10:31 PM
Don't know, but GW played at Yale

http://wesclark.com/rrr/bush_yale.jpg

I believe he was also a cheerleader correct? How gay is that??

road kill
02-14-2013, 07:42 AM

HMMMMMMM, interesting.
Is this a compliment?
Or is this an insult?

huntinman
02-14-2013, 08:59 AM

What's your point?

duckheads
02-14-2013, 12:35 PM

Wrong. Rugby is played in about every country. I have personally played in Ireland, England, Scottland, and Wales as well as most states around the midwest and down to Florida. There is high school rugby in most areas of Indiana. Rugby is alive and well and will be a great addition to the Olympics!

As a matter of fact I was on my way home from our HRC Upland hunt this past sat and stop in a small town bar. Sat at the bar to order a beer and some food. Looked up at the TV and they were wacthing the USA Rugby Sevens Live from Las Vegas. Great way to cap off my day, talking rugby!

regards from a person that played competitively from 1986-2008

mjiorle
02-14-2013, 09:32 PM
I wrestled at the youth, HS, and college level. I've spent 17 years of my adult life coaching HS and club teams. A club team I was a coach on wrestled several international matches against teams from Russia, and a few of the "stans". In 96 we wrestled the Russian junior team (and won) as a prelim to a pre olympic match between the two countries national teams. What a thrill it was for those kids to wrestle in front of their heroes. It was a wrestler Bruce Baumgartner who carried the flag for the american Olympic team that year. I believe he was also named amateur athlete of the year.

Check out the "Keep Wrestling in the Olympics" facebook page. There will be some valuable info on there for anyone interested in helping to keep this sport alive.

P.S. I'm not sure what cheering was like when GWB did it, but hangin out with a bunch of beautiful girls and holding them up in the air doesn't sound like a bad gig to me.

Mike

charly_t
02-14-2013, 09:54 PM
.................................................. .................................................. ........

P.S. I'm not sure what cheering was like when GWB did it, but hangin out with a bunch of beautiful girls and holding them up in the air doesn't sound like a bad gig to me.

Mike

More than one straight young man ( read student ) has done the cheer leading thing because that's where the good looking girls are. Some guys took the home ec. class because all the girls were required to take those classes in my day ( I believe my brother-in-law did that vbg ). Just the brave guys who were secure in their manhood did that though. By the way my brother-in-law did his home ec. class way back in late 30s when that would have not been a cool thing to do. Those KS boys rock.

mngundog
02-14-2013, 10:06 PM

Mike
Thanks for the laugh I just spit all over my keyboard, its a bad gig when its an all boys academy and its another dude he was holding up in the air. :D

sick lids
02-14-2013, 10:22 PM
I once went to a Neil Diamond concert by myself... All my friends thought it was pretty gay but got a few scores off of it! Some were waayyyy more experianced too...:oops:

mjiorle
02-14-2013, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the laugh I just spit all over my keyboard, its a bad gig when its an all boys academy and its another dude he was holding up in the air. :D

Your right, that is a bad gig! Still laughing at the the thought of GW holding a dude up in the air. Co-Ed only for me!
Mike

Ken Bora
02-19-2013, 10:15 AM
to whom, how?
how does the man on the street make change?!

bump, so anyone know anything on how to opine?
and to who?

zeus3925
02-19-2013, 10:42 AM
I guess I would startn with the USOC. Best address I can find is :Since April 2010, the USOC’s headquarters have been located at the corner of Colorado and Tejon in downtown Colorado Springs, Colo. or www.teamusa.org

zeus3925
02-19-2013, 10:49 AM
Another possiblity id the USA Wrestling:

USA Wrestling
6155 Lehman Drive
Colorado Springs, CO 80918
Phone: (719) 598-8181
Fax: (719) 598-9440
http://www.usawrestling.org
http://www.themat.com

mngundog
02-19-2013, 11:11 AM
bump, so anyone know anything on how to opine?
and to who?
Ken, there is a Facebook protest taking place tomorrow to shed some light on it, what you need to do is take a photo of yourself in your singlet and post it on your Facebook page, good luck.

jpws
02-19-2013, 01:45 PM
The sport of wrestling is down -22% in participation over the past year, and is down -41% over the past 3 years. In 2011 there wre 1.97M particpants vs 3.3M in 2008. I'd imagine this decline was seen elsewhere and they were cutting those with diminishing interest levels and adding those that were growing. For reference, Field Hockey has 1.14M participants in 2011 - still south of wrestling, but flat over a 3yr period.

mngundog
09-10-2013, 04:24 PM
And now it's back in.

GaryJ
09-10-2013, 08:46 PM
Probably will be replaced by shuffleboard.

Wrestling and boxing are the only sport that comes to mind man vs man.

mngundog
09-10-2013, 10:53 PM
Probably will be replaced by shuffleboard.

Wrestling and boxing are the only sport that comes to mind man vs man.
Judo and Tae kwon do