PDA

View Full Version : A Presidents Day POTUS question.

Ken Bora
02-18-2013, 09:18 AM
Happy Presidents Day all. Mondays are my normal day off so no big deal for me, except no banks open and no bills in the mailbox. So that is cool.

So… I ask.
Who is / was your favorite President of the United States of America? And why?
Who was / is the worst President of the United States of America? And why?

In your opinions.

My favorite was Ronald Reagan. He was the first President I was able to vote for and it seemed, in his speeches he was speaking directly to me.

My worst was Richard Nixon. (surprised?:p) He was the first President I became “Politically aware” of. I can remember watching Walter Cronkite on the evening news with my Grandfather. And how angry Nixon made him. Honor, respect of the office, all politics are local politics, I came to understand. Mr. Nixon made my Grandfather very angry. That is stuff little kids remember.

Franco
02-18-2013, 09:26 AM
The Best...Thomas Jefferson. He had the vision and the will to make his vision a reality.

Runner up to the Best...George Washington. He was not only our Cincinatus, he was able to help defeat the Brits when no one thought it could be done.

The Worst...Lyndon B Johnson. Not only did he needlessly escalate the war in Vietnam, but he also created the entitlement mentallity here in the USA with his Great Society. A program we are still paying for today!

Runner up to the Worst...George Bush. Two needless wars and nearly 10 TRILLION in Debt.

road kill
02-18-2013, 09:36 AM
I have 2 favorites.
1- is Calvin Coolidge, whose words on "Persistance" is what I live by!

Nothing in the world can take the place of persistance. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistance and determination alone are omnipotent!

2- is Teddy Roosevelt, though a bit of a progressive, I still like his style and the fact that my great great Uncle (Seth Bullock) worked for him! Another motto to live by;

Drink hearty tonight men, for tomorrow we ride!

My least favorite currently holds the position.

mudminnow
02-18-2013, 10:11 AM
The Best...Thomas Jefferson. He had the vision and the will to make his vision a reality.

Runner up to the Best...George Washington. He was not only our Cincinatus, he was able to help defeat the Brits when no one thought it could be done.

The Worst...Lyndon B Johnson. Not only did he needlessly escalate the war in Vietnam, but he also created the entitlement mentallity here in the USA with his Great Society. A program we are still paying for today!

Runner up to the Worst...George Bush. Two needless wars and nearly 10 TRILLION in Debt.

Wow runner up as George Washington? Franco, come on man, I thought you liked Liberty and small government. He was a great general, but as a president he was in cahoots with Hamilton.

The best- Jefferson: Liberty loving, small government, brilliant man

The worst- Lincoln- trampled states rights, murdered hundreds of thousands of people with a tyrannical war, made federal government larger and many problems today associated with big government spending and regulations are traced back to Lincoln. He made it an act of war for the states to stand up constitutionally against a tyrannical federal government.

Ken Bora
02-18-2013, 10:18 AM
The best- Jefferson The worst- Lincoln

incomplete! ya gotta show your work ;-)

and why?

mudminnow
02-18-2013, 10:19 AM
Sorry I got excited and pressed post...I went back and edited

Franco
02-18-2013, 10:59 AM
Wow runner up as George Washington? Franco, come on man, I thought you liked Liberty and small government. He was a great general, but as a president he was in cahoots with Hamilton.

The best- Jefferson: Liberty loving, small government, brilliant man

The worst- Lincoln- trampled states rights, murdered hundreds of thousands of people with a tyrannical war, made federal government larger and many problems today associated with big government spending and regulations are traced back to Lincoln. He made it an act of war for the states to stand up constitutionally against a tyrannical federal government.

No doubt modern day Repubs would love big government Hamilton, if he were still around;-) I had to go with George as second because he did lead the fight for Liberty. Talking Liberty is one thing, placing you life on the line is another. G Washington could have been King but instead chose the same path as Cincinatus.

paul young
02-18-2013, 11:06 AM
My favorite is Theodore Roosevelt. The impact of his Presidency is still felt today through the many National Parks and monuments that were established during his time in office and the majority which were established later on under the Antiquities act of 1906.

My least favorite is LBJ. His ineptitude and misinformation cost this country many lives, both lost and ruined.-Paul

sick lids
02-18-2013, 11:30 AM
Best Thomas Jefferson, his writings really spell out what freedom is and is not, and how to maintain it.

Worst Bill Clinton, for letting so many acts of war go unanswered.

mjh345
02-18-2013, 01:12 PM
I have 2 favorites.
1- is Calvin Coolidge, whose words on "Persistance" is what I live by!

2- is Teddy Roosevelt, though a bit of a progressive, I still like his style and the fact that my great great Uncle (Seth Bullock) worked for him! Another motto to live by;

My least favorite currently holds the position.
Hey Stan was that the same Seth Bullock who was the sheriff of Deadwood S Dakota back in the WILD WILD West?

Favorite President would have to be Jefferson. Worst would be a tie with the latter serving Presidents with the last name of Johnson & Bush

road kill
02-18-2013, 01:16 PM
Hey Stan was that the same Seth Bullock who was the sheriff of Deadwood S Dakota back in the WILD WILD West?

Favorite President would have to be Jefferson. Worst would be a tie with the latter serving Presidents with the last name of Johnson & Bush
Yes, he hunted and rode (as a Rough Rider) with TR.

I was born 100+ years too late!!!

mjh345
02-18-2013, 02:37 PM
The HBO series "Deadwood" was one of my all time favorite TV programs

BonMallari
02-18-2013, 04:23 PM
Those that list past President's who lived and were deceased over a hundred+ years ago are relying on the history books...not denying that Thomas Jefferson was a great President but he lived in a time when he presided over an emerging nation that was growing by the month if not by the day...if he lived in today's media controlled world where a scandal brings out talks of impeachment, not too sure TJ would have lasted very long...

Also we give JFK a pass because of the brutal way he was assassinated before our very eyes...

I would think that we might judge our Presidents that were around during our lifetimes, did we prosper or flounder under their administrations...Did they appoint SCOTUS jurists that impacted our lives forever....

from my perspective we have had quite a few crappy POTUS, but thanks to American perserverence we have survived their terms...I hope that we can say the same in 2016

Franco
02-18-2013, 04:56 PM
Those that list past President's who lived and were deceased over a hundred+ years ago are relying on the history books...not denying that Thomas Jefferson was a great President but he lived in a time when he presided over an emerging nation that was growing by the month if not by the day...if he lived in today's media controlled world where a scandal brings out talks of impeachment, not too sure TJ would have lasted very long...

Also we give JFK a pass because of the brutal way he was assassinated before our very eyes...

I would think that we might judge our Presidents that were around during our lifetimes, did we prosper or flounder under their administrations...Did they appoint SCOTUS jurists that impacted our lives forever....

from my perspective we have had quite a few crappy POTUS, but thanks to American perserverence we have survived their terms...I hope that we can say the same in 2016

Good point.

Since Harry S Truman was Pres when I was born, I'll go with him as best. He busted military contractors for stealing millions, helped form NATO and stood up to Gen MacArthur. Had he not, no telling what the consequences of nuking Red China would have been. Its been all downhill since.

Ken Bora
02-18-2013, 04:58 PM
I would think that we might judge our Presidents that were around during our lifetimes, ....

from my perspective we have had quite a few crappy POTUS,

so no fav at all Bon?

DSemple
02-18-2013, 05:16 PM
I always admired Regan for ability to take his agenda directly to the public and put the democratically controlled house and senate on their heels.

I think that the current president will be remembered for bankrupting the country without ever passing a budget.

mngundog
02-18-2013, 05:38 PM
Best, Reagen because he when he left office the Country was in better shape than when he took it. Runner-up Clinton

Worst, G.W. Bush because he when he left office our nation was in shambles. Runner-up Obama
I agree with Bon, I only chose Presidents from my lifetime.

Marvin S
02-18-2013, 07:17 PM
So… I ask.
Who is / was your favorite President of the United States of America? And why?
Who was / is the worst President of the United States of America? And why?

In your opinions.

Favorite - Truman - I was one of 20 airmen chosen to stand in a color guard when he came to Headquarters SAC as CIC :cool:. I have stood 10 feet from him, looked like my Grandpa. But my choice is because I believe he was truly a man of the people & followed the practice of thrift! Ike would be 2nd - what I have read of Coolidge is certainly a plus, but would have to read more.

Least favorite - in a broad field with lot's of worthy's - I'd say a tie between Johnson & the present POTUS - Johnson because of his creation of the entitlement mentality & the present POTUS because he is trashing the Constitution. While Carter deserves a mention his biggest issue was incompetence. In the years since Ike we have only had one chance for a legitimate choice & the country blew it. Every president since Ike including Reagan would go down with more minus than plus on their resume, IMO.

Other than Coolidge these are all people I either served under or participated in the election.

BuddyJ
02-18-2013, 08:51 PM
Did he see his shadow today?

BonMallari
02-18-2013, 11:12 PM
so no fav at all Bon?

Reagan but only because I think the country was strong while he was in office, and he was the only one to get Iran to give up the hostages....but I also think that Reagan's image took on larger than life personna and the history books have been kind to the man, and the images of he and Nancy made him very likeable....I expect my President to be presidential and RR was that

JFK - incomplete

LBJ- will never forgive him for Vietnam

RMN- a crook to the core

GF- nice guy, way in over his head

JC-totally inept,had no business being POTUS

RWR- did what he was supposed to do

GHB- likeable but ineffective

WJC- felt like the country learned how to be sleazy after him

GWB- one term too many, peaked at 9/11

JDogger
02-18-2013, 11:17 PM
I have no favorite, Ken. Most did something bad that I believe negatively affected the country. Like we say when reading point slips at an HRC ribbon award, "in no particular order"...

JFK; Vietnam. Bay of Pigs, U-2,

LBJ; The gulf of Tonkin. Vietnam in general.

Nixon; Dishonered the office, ie, Watergate. Opened China

Ford; Pardoned Nixon.

Carter; Peanuts and Billy beer... Established relations with China.

Reagan; Trickle down Reaganomics, which still haunts us. Iran-Contra.

Bush 1; "read my lips".

Clinton; That cigar thing

"W" Two failed wars.

Obama; OMG he's black!

So, I guess I'm only left to "Like Ike" in the Presidents in my lifetime, and that seems to so many here the time we would like to go back to. But it's not likely to be.

JD

zeus3925
02-19-2013, 07:37 AM
I've have several favorites,
Thomas Jefferson particularly political philosopher. His vision led the defined the guiding principals of the coun try for the establishment of the nation.

Harry Truman for his no nonsense, wade into the fray, tell it like it is, attitude.

Teddy Roosevelt for his conservation efforts.

John Kennedy for his charismatic style. The Cuban Missle showdown

Nominees for the worst:

W by far. He outright lied to invade Iraq. He spent 4200 American lives and an additional 32,000 wounded. 100,000 Iraqi left dead and $3 trillion spent on an adventure that has yet to meet its initial goals to bring democracy and stability to the region. He had balls of marshmallow when it came to standing up to critters like Cheney, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, and Abramson. He turned a budgetary surplus to an enormous deficit and shredded the economy. He never took charge to stop the country's free fall into a fiscal crisis. He just left it for the next guy.

Franklin Pierce let the storm clouds of the Civil war take place and managed to antagonize everyone including his own party.

LBJ--A vain bastard.

Devil or Angel catogory:
Dick Nixon. He was a guy whose nature was so dark that you swore he had a sign on his back that said "kick me" . But you could get him to respond to public sentiment. Might take awhile.

Most Unfairly Maligned category-
Herbert Hoover-- his fate was cast before he took the oath of office. He later gained redemption with his appointment by Truman to head the Hoover Commission.

Gerry Clinchy
02-19-2013, 01:01 PM
Worth reading, I thought: Chuck Norris on George Washington

http://townhall.com/columnists/chucknorris/2013/02/19/10-reasons-i-wish-george-washington-were-still-alive-part-1-n1514914/page/full/