PDA

View Full Version : Sequester!!!!

road kill
02-26-2013, 07:16 AM
While Obama runs around the country crying "the sky is falling," nothing is being done in the Whitehouse to develop a consensus.

Stand fast Boehner, this is you chance to make Obama blink first.
Don't fail us now!

The big fear of the Whitehouse is that Sequester will happen, the reduction on future spending (no "cuts" here) will have no effect at all.
If no one suffers as badly as Obama claims, his constant Obamageddon fear tactics will be DONE!!!!

He got his tax increase folks, remember?

GIT-R-DUN boys & girls!!!

Ken Bora
02-26-2013, 07:36 AM
lets hope weepy John don't tear up and blink on accident

zeus3925
02-26-2013, 07:57 AM
The House has sent spending bills to the Senate. The senate let those bills die. The Senate should take up those bills and modify them if they so desire. Then send the bill to a joint resolution committee. But, the 73000 page tax code also has to be modified. Cut out the sweet heart deals in the code that is strangling us to death.

Tom. P.
02-26-2013, 08:09 AM
Every day a new Crisis! Keep the people looking here while the other hand steals Us blind!
The next issue will be the Govt.running out of $$ at the end of March.
No Leadership here No No uhhhahhh!

mudminnow
02-26-2013, 08:10 AM
Sequester?...Bring it on!!! We have to get cuts somehow

HPL
02-26-2013, 09:21 AM
2.4% I have to think that no program would be crippled by a 2.4% cut in INCREASED spending. Even it it was an ACTUAL 2.4% cut, I hardly see that as crippling.

duckheads
02-26-2013, 09:44 AM
2.4% I have to think that no program would be crippled by a 2.4% cut in INCREASED spending. Even it it was an ACTUAL 2.4% cut, I hardly see that as crippling.

No doubt. If I have a $1000 a month budget and I have to cut $24.00 out of it, I'm not going to lose the farm!!

Uncle Bill
02-26-2013, 10:04 AM
Obama has been getting away with scaring the crap out of his ignorant low-info crowd...at least the ones that even have the intelligence to know what he's referring to. But this time his attempt at scaring the sane thinker has failed, and it's fun to watch this empty suit continue his campaigning by pushing his ignorance on his sycophantic bastards in the press. They try so hard to make him out to be someone that knows how to run this country, but his phoniness is showing through.

I can hardly wait to hear what his cadre of speech writers and puppet-string-pullers will have him campaigning on in March, after the nation sees what he was warning everyone about if the sequester goes through, has had nowhere near the catastrophic results he's been lying about. The end of March will have a much different outcome, depending on the backbone of the congress.

UB

sick lids
02-26-2013, 10:17 AM
Saw a funny on Hannity with a dem that could not accept that under Barry they have raised our deficit also he said their debt is from paying off GB's debt. He couldn't shut up for two seconds and Hannity had to cut him off.

I also emailed Paul Ryan and told him anything short of a balanced budget was a compromise. I would be very surprised if we get a last minute deal, based on his and Sen. Ron Johnson's responses. I am also led to believe that if the repubs gain enough seats in the mid term's that there will be a bill that could be rammed down Barry's throat banning the feds from registering any guns.

Dan Storts
02-26-2013, 10:18 AM
Anyone paying into social security took a 2% hit to their spending on Jan. 1, 2013. The government hurt millions of people with that increase. Please raise your hand if you were helped by the increse in taxes on those evil wealthy.

luvmylabs23139
02-26-2013, 11:28 AM
Heck my gas for my car has gone up more than 2% per gallon since Jan 1st. Of course King Obama likes that. They want a 9% increase here in electric rates after just getting an 8 % increase but King Barry thinks that is a good thing. Then he whines that home heating help will be cut, yet I use my own common sense to reduce my non taxpayer paid bill. I haul wood and run the woodstove more, I drop the temp from 72 to 70.
Yet he wants more money so the leaches they show locally complaining on the news with their salon nails can keep their home at 76 on the taxpayers dime, go figure.

luvmylabs23139
02-26-2013, 11:36 AM
No doubt. If I have a $1000 a month budget and I have to cut $24.00 out of it, I'm not going to lose the farm!!
I saw an even better example used the other day. If your grocery bill for a family of 4 is 100 per week how hard would it be to cut $2.40?
Would your family starve or even go hungery?
Hmm, one less 2 litre bottle of soda (better off drinking 2 litres of water)
Trade in a $4 bag of chips for a $1.50 bunch of bananas ( much more healthy)
Hmm, again local prices but $3.59 per lb for 80% lean ground beef or $.99 lb for bone in chicken breasts?

Marvin S
02-26-2013, 12:13 PM
Anyone paying into social security took a 2% hit to their spending on Jan. 1, 2013. The government hurt millions of people with that increase. Please raise your hand if you were helped by the increse in taxes on those evil wealthy.

It was not an increase, it was a reversion to the old rate. The 2% holiday on SS was a bad legislative move - among the many that have happened in recent times. The folks in DC have managed to muck the budget up so badly that no one knows what's there.

A few years back we had an initiative about a legislatively imposed tax on car licenses that the bureaucracy was allowed to administer. You can't believe all the things funded from that source. My comment was we should continue that tax & eliminate all the other sources of funding as apparently that tax was funding most of government. The citizens passed the initiative, life went on as usual, but some programs are no longer around. I believe it has more to do with the economy being a little tight, though out here it's not bad if you have skills.

Dan Storts
02-26-2013, 02:39 PM
So anytime the taxes go up we are just reverting back to the 1940's and 1950's rate. That really should be the rate.

BonMallari
02-26-2013, 04:26 PM
2.4%, heck I tip more than that ...wouldnt want to throw it away...but thats about what I spend during the Triple Crown Racing season on one race....I could do it

Franco
02-26-2013, 05:18 PM
One of the few with a pair and just like his dad!;-)

http://www.businessinsider.com/rand-paul-slams-gop-leaders-on-sequester-2013-2

huntinman
02-26-2013, 05:47 PM

I agree with the first part of your sentence and hope like hell you are wrong about the second part. We need him to actually accomplish something if he is going to be up there for any length of time.

Dan Storts
02-26-2013, 07:35 PM

I had a lot respect for Rand, but not as much as 3 hours ago. He voted for continuing the vote for Hagel and then voted against him in the nomination vote. I know this is a little off subject.

Back on subject. I would rather decide where that extra 2.4% was thrown away than let the government. I do it every day. Every dollar spent in the local economy is distributed, or changes hands, spent approximately 6 to 7 times before it leaves your area.

Wade
02-26-2013, 08:43 PM
While Obama runs around the country crying "the sky is falling," nothing is being done in the Whitehouse to develop a consensus.

Stand fast Boehner, this is you chance to make Obama blink first.
Don't fail us now!

The big fear of the Whitehouse is that Sequester will happen, the reduction on future spending (no "cuts" here) will have no effect at all.
If no one suffers as badly as Obama claims, his constant Obamageddon fear tactics will be DONE!!!!

He got his tax increase folks, remember?

GIT-R-DUN boys & girls!!!

Holy Cow Stan, I think the sky might be falling. Why you ask? Because YOU & I agree on something. How about that. 100% in complete and utter agreement. PLEASE Boehner stand your ground!!!!

Gerry Clinchy
03-01-2013, 08:49 PM
From the AP website ... is it just a coincidence that the guy who made the decision to cut the HHS budget by releasing illegal detainees just happened to announce his retirement just a week before the release happened? Surely, there is no connection to him taking the blame for this unpopular budget cut in anticipation of sequester?

The senior Homeland Security Department official in charge of arresting and deporting illegal immigrants announced his retirement to his staff on Tuesday, the same day the administration first openly confirmed the release of what it called several hundred immigrants. The executive associate director over ICE enforcement and removal operations, Gary Mead, told his staff he was leaving his job with mixed emotions. A career law enforcement officer, Mead will leave at the end of April.

After AP reported on Mead's retirement, ICE spokeswoman Gillian Christensen said his decision was not related to criticism over the jail releases and said Mead had notified the agency's senior leaders "several weeks ago" that he intended to leave. She also called AP's reporting about Mead's departure "inaccurate and misleading." On Thursday, ICE corrected her statement to say that Mead has notified his bosses "more than a week ago," not several weeks ago.
The later government statement also criticized AP's reporting as "ill-informed, inaccurate information" and complained that AP had failed to contact the agency before publishing what it called a "misguided headline," although the AP had noted its unsuccessful efforts to contact Mead directly by telephone and email.

BonMallari
03-02-2013, 10:25 AM
well Sequestration came and went...when what the country really needed was a little Castration...Glad to see Boehner didnt cave....cant wait to see how BOTH sides will spin this, especially on the Sunday talk shows

paul young
03-02-2013, 10:34 AM
Both sides should be ashamed that it was allowed to happen at all. It was within the legislative branch's power to create and pass a budget. It still is. Spin, my ass!

There shouldn't be "sides" anyway.

As I said months ago; we have too many politicians and too few STATESMEN! -Paul

luvmylabs23139
03-02-2013, 11:01 AM
Both sides should be ashamed that it was allowed to happen at all. It was within the legislative branch's power to create and pass a budget. It still is. Spin, my ass!

There shouldn't be "sides" anyway.

As I said months ago; we have too many politicians and too few STATESMEN! -Paul

Blame the senate and Harry Reid. While you may agree or disagree with the house budget, they did follow the law and produce budgets every year. Harry never even put one to vote on the senate floor.

Gerry Clinchy
03-02-2013, 11:26 AM
Congress offered the POTUS a bill that would have allowed him to make the necessary cuts "intelligently" ... but POTUS said he would veto such a bill. Essentially ... MY way or the HIGHway. But vetoing such a bill means, perhaps, he doesn't want to take responsibility for the cuts that would be made? Both parties are beginning to agree that there actually ARE programs that could be streamlined, combined, removed from the budget with little or no pain ... the POTUS was offered the chance to spare the worst pain, but refused to accept it.

The real crisis, however, happens at the end of the month when we reach the same fiscal cliff of raising the debt limit again, or govt shut-down. Geithner says that even then, there will be a couple of months "grace" while Treasury does some tapdancing with their credit line. It's like a re-run of what brought about sequestration in the first place!

The public believes this is all Congress' fault (and surely a lot of it IS), but isn't the POTUS supposed to bear some of the responsibility for being more of an enabler to bring Congress to the negotiating table?

Gerry Clinchy
03-02-2013, 02:32 PM
Carlos Elias, the Capitol Building superintendent, sent out a memo Friday reminding staffers that the current sequestration plan does not include “reductions in force or furloughs” and that “pay and benefit of each of our employees will not be impacted.”Though not directly mentioning Obama by name, Elias also said in the memo that a “high-ranking official said employees that clean and maintain the U.S. Capitol will receive a cut in pay.”
Hours before the memo was released, the president, in what appears to be the administration’s attempt to maximize the potential impact of the cuts, said at a press conference: “Starting tomorrow everybody here, all the folks who are cleaning the floors at the Capitol. Now that Congress has left, somebody’s going to be vacuuming and cleaning those floors and throwing out the garbage. They’re going to have less pay. The janitors, the security guards, they just got a pay cut, and they’ve got to figure out how to manage that. That’s real.”

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/03/02/obama-his-team-struggling-with-accuracy-when-explaining-impact-sequester-cuts/#ixzz2MPbWdUpi
Does ANYone in the administration check ANY facts before the POTUS makes some of these downright untrue statements?

Arne Duncan backtracked on his doom-and-gloom about teachers. And the FAA admitted that the cuts in air traffic controllers would begin with smaller, low-traffic airports to minimize impact on the larger, high-traffic airports. I recall reading that $150K is spent on an airport in OK that gets almost NO flights at all.

Does this "backlash" against the exaggerations mean that some people are actually ready to speak out against "the madness" that Woodward's high profile statements have pointed out? And CNN's Gergen also supported. Will we soon hear that Woodward and Gergen are looking for new jobs? Along with the Capitol Building Superintendent? (maybe he's due to retire soon?)

charly_t
03-02-2013, 02:52 PM
Does ANYone in the administration check ANY facts before the POTUS makes some of these downright untrue statements?

Arne Duncan backtracked on his doom-and-gloom about teachers. And the FAA admitted that the cuts in air traffic controllers would begin with smaller, low-traffic airports to minimize impact on the larger, high-traffic airports. I recall reading that $150K is spent on an airport in OK that gets almost NO flights at all.

Does this "backlash" against the exaggerations mean that some people are actually ready to speak out against "the madness" that Woodward's high profile statements have pointed out? And CNN's Gergen also supported. Will we soon hear that Woodward and Gergen are looking for new jobs? Along with the Capitol Building Superintendent? (maybe he's due to retire soon?)

Colburn is pointing out a lot of waste here in OK ( as well as Washinton etc. ). This may be one on his list of waste.

paul young
03-02-2013, 07:42 PM
Congress offered the POTUS a bill that would have allowed him to make the necessary cuts "intelligently" ... but POTUS said he would veto such a bill. Essentially ... MY way or the HIGHway. But vetoing such a bill means, perhaps, he doesn't want to take responsibility for the cuts that would be made? Both parties are beginning to agree that there actually ARE programs that could be streamlined, combined, removed from the budget with little or no pain ... the POTUS was offered the chance to spare the worst pain, but refused to accept it.

The real crisis, however, happens at the end of the month when we reach the same fiscal cliff of raising the debt limit again, or govt shut-down. Geithner says that even then, there will be a couple of months "grace" while Treasury does some tapdancing with their credit line. It's like a re-run of what brought about sequestration in the first place!

The public believes this is all Congress' fault (and surely a lot of it IS), but isn't the POTUS supposed to bear some of the responsibility for being more of an enabler to bring Congress to the negotiating table?

I have not seen anyone on this forum, aside from myself, lay any blame for sequestration on congress. The country does NOT believe it is Congresses' fault.

As I said; so what if he vetoes a piece of legislation? Grow a pair and send it thru a second time. They're too damn busy trying to "win", to do their job! They have, however, found the time and wherewithal to give themselves a pay raise and go out on recess. - Paul

JDogger
03-02-2013, 08:20 PM
I have not seen anyone on this forum, aside from myself, lay any blame for sequestration on congress. The country does NOT believe it is Congresses' fault.

As I said; so what if he vetoes a piece of legislation? Grow a pair and send it thru a second time. They're too damn busy trying to "win", to do their job! They have, however, found the time and wherewithal to give themselves a pay raise and go out on recess. - Paul

Good post, Paul. Right on the money. JD

Marvin S
03-02-2013, 08:34 PM
Good post, Paul. Right on the money. JD

That's right JD :rolleyes:. Paul's the guy who when I noted that UB would have a real nest egg in SS had it been properly handled doubted what I said, though I have it right in front of me. It was only when Buzz, a fellow unionista, agreed with my premise that Paul backed off.

& you are praising a post from someone who has less financial clue than most of the congress critters :(.

JDogger
03-02-2013, 09:18 PM
That's right JD :rolleyes:. Paul's the guy who when I noted that UB would have a real nest egg in SS had it been properly handled doubted what I said, though I have it right in front of me. It was only when Buzz, a fellow unionista, agreed with my premise that Paul backed off.

& you are praising a post from someone who has less financial clue than most of the congress critters :(.

One of the blessings of self-moderation is the ability to ignore posts without actually placing the poster on 'ignore'. I find it quite easy to ignore you and Bill Spitzer, while still reading your posts. You should endevour to practice the same. OK?

But, somehow I doubt your ability. JD

I'll no longer engage BS, his patholgy makes it impossible. I will for a while continue to engage you, but believe me, your pathology is nearly as profound.
You have a good weekend as well...

JDogger
03-02-2013, 09:43 PM
Soo.. is sequester a verb or a noun? We use it currently as a noun = cut in gov. spending. I prefer to use it as a verb. My girlfriend and I performed a sequester at the mountain cabin and called in sick to work the next day because of 'snow'. JD

PS Yer choice.

Marvin S
03-02-2013, 10:35 PM
One of the magazines I read is Successful Farming. This month they have two articles about farming the government - one deals with crop insurance, where the taxpayer picks up 62% of the premium while getting none of the payoff. There is talk in the next farm bill of cutting that to 53% in the next farm bill, truly :(. I'd like to have that help with my quake insurance (joking) but find it sad that we as taxpayers are picking up operating costs for any business. The reason the $5,500,000 exemption for both man & wife has to do with the large amount of assets controlled by these farmers.

The other is a proposal by Martha Roby, (R-AL) & a member of the House Ag committee that would limit CRP funds to marginal lands to prevent soil erosion & apply conservation techniques. Any Class 1 & 2 lands would be ineligible for the program. This would take the program from 27 million acres to 24 million acres & IMO benefit all of us as sportsman, enviro's & whatever else you want to call yourself.

JD, I do not place anyone on Ignore though some have come close. I consider it somewhat of a compliment that you would lump UB & myself in the same frame. It may have something to do with the fact that both of us are Dakotans & recognize Hoya Hoya when we experience it. Your opinion of me is something I lose no sleep over, in fact it's nice to know that I have penetrated that elitist thought process that you think you possess. BTW, I am not the only poster on these forums pointing out what I consider stupidity when I see it :).

Gerry Clinchy
03-02-2013, 10:57 PM

Paul, I know you and I don't believe sequestration is Congress' fault ... but if you listen to the POTUS' speeches, he must believe that, since he keeps saying that.

Truthfully, I'd have to say both Congress & POTUS deserve some blame since both have had over a year to plan spending cuts more intelligently than sequestration proposes to make the cuts. Neither did so. The House did present a budget. Haven't heard anything further about when the POTUS' budget will be ready; or the Senate's.

Over-riding a veto would require 2/3 vote (if I recall my civics lessons correctly). Can't see that happening in the Senate. Doubt the Ds would override their POTUS by joining a minority of Rs to that high a degree.

JDogger
03-02-2013, 11:24 PM
Isn't this poetic? One of the leading minds in the world is being ridiculed by one the true mental midgets on POTUS Place. The original Self Appointed POTUS Place police...or acronymically: SAPPP of NM! You are living proof of P.J. O'Rourke's cognitive quote, "Hubris is one of the great renewable resources." You are such an embarrassement to society, it's hard to defend your right to be the colossal fool you continually make of yourself.

Only fools like you don't have the intelligence to realize if it weren't for the likes of a Scalia on the SCOTUS, your gun rights would already have been taken from you, along with your 2nd amendment rights.

In a comparative world, Scalia would be a mega-star general, and you wouldn't even be a pimple on a PFC's ass. Your arrogance is beyond the pale. May you forever rot in your self-aggrandizement.

UB

Marvin, Is this really the Bill Spitzer you wish to be identified with ? Are these the words you would use? Just askin' ?? JD

As to your first two paragraphs.. I know few farmers in the Middle Rio Grande Valley Conservancy District. These are mostly hobby farmers who produce little beyond alfalfa and a few dairy herds. They consume a vast amount of water from the Rio Grande. Our water deficit to Texas is more than 25 years in arrears. The snow pack in the the mountains of northern NM and southern CO is very unlikely to be made up any time soon. Still water pacts made a 100 years ago dominate. Due to irrigation and water compacts, what used to be a free flowing river year round, now is dry most of the summer. This is where I hunt and train my dogs. The Bureau of Reclamation ths year closed off many miles of river to hunting.

I have a puppy distracting me... and need to go to bed. I have to go to the ranch tomorrow early. I'll take this up later. JD

huntinman
03-02-2013, 11:37 PM
Soo.. is sequester a verb or a noun? We use it currently as a noun = cut in gov. spending. I prefer to use it as a verb. My girlfriend and I performed a sequester at the mountain cabin and called in sick to work the next day because of 'snow'. JD

PS Yer choice.

Some things would be better left unsaid:shock:

Ken Bora
03-02-2013, 11:51 PM

PS Yer choice.

Sequestering:1:take temporary possession of as a security, by legal authority; 2:set apart from others; 3:keep away from others; 4:requisition forcibly, as of enemy property; 5:undergo sequestration by forming a stable compound with an ion.

she didn't say please???????????;-)

road kill
03-03-2013, 05:42 AM
These cuts are a start.
Best thing this congress and President have done to date!

paul young
03-03-2013, 08:23 AM
Paul, I know you and I don't believe sequestration is Congress' fault ... but if you listen to the POTUS' speeches, he must believe that, since he keeps saying that.

Truthfully, I'd have to say both Congress & POTUS deserve some blame since both have had over a year to plan spending cuts more intelligently than sequestration proposes to make the cuts. Neither did so. The House did present a budget. Haven't heard anything further about when the POTUS' budget will be ready; or the Senate's.

Over-riding a veto would require 2/3 vote (if I recall my civics lessons correctly). Can't see that happening in the Senate. Doubt the Ds would override their POTUS by joining a minority of Rs to that high a degree.

Yes Gerry, they are ALL to blame.

What has happened is that the House has submitted budgets that were clearly put together to provoke the response we have have seen from the Senate. But, in my opinion, the Senate was wrong to take the bait; they should have worked to modify it enough that there could be some chance of the House taking it up and proposing further changes, which ultimately would lead to a budget proposal being sent to the President for his signature.

You are correct; a 2/3 majority vote by the House and Senate is required to override a Presidential veto. To accomplish it, our legislators would have to set aside politics and act in the countries' best interest. THAT is Statesmanship!! And that is what we have lacked in our leaders for far too long, in my opinion.

On a personal note, I have had it with these clowns! This week I am registering as an Independant, which will allow me to vote in all primaries in Ct. I will vote against ALL incumbents Democrat and Republican alike. Since they will not do what is required, I will do what I can to vote them out of office. -Paul

charly_t
03-03-2013, 01:05 PM

On a personal note, I have had it with these clowns! This week I am registering as an Independant, which will allow me to vote in all primaries in Ct. I will vote against ALL incumbents Democrat and Republican alike. Since they will not do what is required, I will do what I can to vote them out of office. -Paul

I'm hearing this from more and more people. I just hope that it is enough to bring about the changes that we need. Since the candidates from both the dems. and repubs. seem to be too well controlled by their parties we need to change that for sure to get results. Trouble is some of these people in those two main parties are blindly loyal ( both voters and lawmakers of those two parties ). It truely boggles the mind.

charly_t
03-03-2013, 01:08 PM
These cuts are a start.

I think that you are correct. I just hope somehow that it can be carried out and that no one derails the train. ;-)

huntinman
03-03-2013, 01:19 PM
These cuts are a start.

The only thing I take issue with is the term "cuts"...

Smaller increase in spending is a cut to a politician...

Marvin S
03-03-2013, 07:31 PM
Marvin, Is this really the Bill Spitzer you wish to be identified with ? Are these the words you would use? Just askin' ?? JD

I do not tell those I am acquainted with how they live their lives, it is a free world. I've seen enough of UB's posts over the time I have been on this forum (fairly recent) to say this is a guy I could break bread with. & I am fairly particular about who makes that list. Though I do not think it's an honor, it's just me & I do not like to suffer fools, UB is no fool. In all the industries I knew employ, none were gentle in approach so it's normal for me. I did think his acronym of SAPPP was worth a chuckle regardless of who the intended recipient :).

As to your first two paragraphs.. I know a few farmers in the Middle Rio Grande Valley Conservancy District. These are mostly hobby farmers who produce little beyond alfalfa and a few dairy herds. They consume a vast amount of water from the Rio Grande. Our water deficit to Texas is more than 25 years in arrears. The snow pack in the the mountains of northern NM and southern CO is very unlikely to be made up any time soon. Still water pacts made a 100 years ago dominate. Due to irrigation and water compacts, what used to be a free flowing river year round, now is dry most of the summer. This is where I hunt and train my dogs. The Bureau of Reclamation ths year closed off many miles of river to hunting.

I have a puppy distracting me... and need to go to bed. I have to go to the ranch tomorrow early. I'll take this up later. JD

I think that's what you meant - with my Mining Engineers background I know a couple of things about water rights, but certainly do not have the knowledge of a specialist in the field. With my 1st job in CO at Climax I learned more. It is a property right, talk to the grazers of the National Forest about that though I do not agree with their logic. If there is a higher & better use for that water they can buy the right as Denver did with many of the small ranches on the Western slope of the state or as Denver did in proving the reservoir they have by Dillon, again on the western slope. Should a city be able to transfer water from one drainage into another? That may be why congress OK'd the Arkansas-Frying Pan transfer from East to West to balance that appropriation by Denver?

I have an issue with free flowing streams going to benefit a few - it shows in most areas of low rainfall like MT. I believe it alters the balance of nature where many could enjoy the benefits to benefit only a few. I consider the Environmental Working Group a blessing. The idea of an $11,000,000 exemption (for large Farmers & Ranchers) on inheritance is not in my vocabulary. IMO, if those places were broken up it would benefit the nation long term, some destruction being beneficial. When Jon Kyl was Sen R-AZ he had proposed that they pay tax on the gain at the capital gains rate, which I believe fair. Bob Dole had shepherded a rider through congress that allowed the Gallo winery to avoid the tax on $200,000,000 so I voted for a minority candidate for POTUS.

We live on a small acreage with much attendant wildlife. There will be a time when I am no longer able to keep this property up which will change our lifestyle & attendant quality of life unless we are able to find something that fits. I do not need to blow holes in the sky to appreciate the winged creatures, those four legged critters or the crawly things that affect the balance of nature.

Gerry Clinchy
03-03-2013, 08:44 PM
A little bit of humor about sequester ... Saturday Night Live Opening
http://nation.foxnews.com/snl/2013/03/03/snl-mocks-obama-sequester-lack-budgeting-skills

JDogger
03-03-2013, 11:00 PM
A little bit of humor about sequester ... Saturday Night Live Opening
http://nation.foxnews.com/snl/2013/03/03/snl-mocks-obama-sequester-lack-budgeting-skills

Thanks for the humor, Gerry. It was a pleasant respite from the previous post. ;) JD

I'll add for Marvin, that I know few farmers in the MRGCD, not that I know a few. Self-Appointed Police on RTF PP run the gamut, from spelling, syntax, grammar, punctuation, political philosophy, etc. Others feel compelled to edit posts at their whim, believing that they know better what the poster was saying. You know, the 'I fixed it for you' syndrome. (I've been guilty:().

Marvin, I am no expert on water rights either. The system in NM is highly convoluted with pre-emminent rights, 1908 rights, rights established in the 40's and 50's by the Bureau of Reclamation. Water pacts formed at that time maybe just as out of date as section 5 of the Voting Rights Act of the 60's. On the Rio Grande we are witnessing a complete reversal of what were thought to be 'good' management plans a few decades ago. Sometimes engineers are forced to re-evaluate and concede their mistakes. I'm sure that has never happened to you? Right?
I do believe in free flowing rivers. The Rio Grande has never been dammed for hydro-electification, but it has been dammed for irrigation in the desert. The winged, four-legged, and crawly critters have been negatively impacted.

When you are no longer able to care for your property, try to make sure it goes into a protected status for the future. OK?

JD

mngundog
03-04-2013, 03:04 AM
I do not tell those I am acquainted with how they live their lives, it is a free world. I've seen enough of UB's posts over the time I have been on this forum (fairly recent) to say this is a guy I could break bread with. & I am fairly particular about who makes that list. Though I do not think it's an honor, it's just me & I do not like to suffer fools, UB is no fool.
I wouldn't mind having a cocktail with about 95% of people on this forum, but after a few years working in corrections I have a certain distain for UBs use of lies, dishonesty isn't a trait one should be proud of.

Marvin S
03-04-2013, 10:18 AM
I'll add for Marvin, that I know few farmers in the MRGCD, not that I know a few. Self-Appointed Police on RTF PP run the gamut, from spelling, syntax, grammar, punctuation, political philosophy, etc. Others feel compelled to edit posts at their whim, believing that they know better what the poster was saying. You know, the 'I fixed it for you' syndrome. (I've been guilty:().

Marvin, I am no expert on water rights either. The system in NM is highly convoluted with pre-emminent rights, 1908 rights, rights established in the 40's and 50's by the Bureau of Reclamation. Water pacts formed at that time maybe just as out of date as section 5 of the Voting Rights Act of the 60's. On the Rio Grande we are witnessing a complete reversal of what were thought to be 'good' management plans a few decades ago. Sometimes engineers are forced to re-evaluate and concede their mistakes. I'm sure that has never happened to you? Right?
I do believe in free flowing rivers. The Rio Grande has never been dammed for hydro-electification, but it has been dammed for irrigation in the desert. The winged, four-legged, and crawly critters have been negatively impacted.

When you are no longer able to care for your property, try to make sure it goes into a protected status for the future. OK? JD

JD - I am always puzzled by the mind set of those of your ilk who can go ballistic over a perceived slight that does not alter the poster's meaning even slightly yet -

Has the gall to suggest uses for that person's private property. I will do my best to educate the local public on the value of protecting those creatures so many have skin in the game. This will be done at our expense with the blessing of my partner. We will not be making any gifts to the public. Though ours would be on a smaller scale one only need look at the Ford Foundation to see good intentions run amok & contrary to the founders wishes & intent.

Marvin S
03-04-2013, 10:23 AM
I wouldn't mind having a cocktail with about 95% of people on this forum, but after a few years working in corrections I have a certain distain for UBs use of lies, dishonesty isn't a trait one should be proud of.

You've made this statement more than once, yet have provided no backup to disprove UB's presentations. An opinion is sometimes poorly based as yours appear to be, but it does not make it a lie. I'm not sure you are any brighter nor any more honest than your charges.

mngundog
03-04-2013, 11:06 AM
You've made this statement more than once, yet have provided no backup to disprove UB's presentations. An opinion is sometimes poorly based as yours appear to be, but it does not make it a lie. I'm not sure you are any brighter nor any more honest than your charges.
Here's one where he is telling lies. http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?90456-Is-there-no-end-to-this-incredulity&highlight=snopes
But then the smartest kid in the 8th grade should be able to keep up.:D

Gerry Clinchy
03-04-2013, 11:39 AM
Yes Gerry, they are ALL to blame.

What has happened is that the House has submitted budgets that were clearly put together to provoke the response we have have seen from the Senate. But, in my opinion, the Senate was wrong to take the bait; they should have worked to modify it enough that there could be some chance of the House taking it up and proposing further changes, which ultimately would lead to a budget proposal being sent to the President for his signature. Very true! Was Reid doing the POTUS' dirty work for him? It was always the Senate that stalled the process, it would appear. By failing to put together new budgets, they were able to stick with the automatic increases in spending ... a bad idea when there certainly ARE funded programs that should be eliminated rather than increased!

You are correct; a 2/3 majority vote by the House and Senate is required to override a Presidential veto. To accomplish it, our legislators would have to set aside politics and act in the countries' best interest. THAT is Statesmanship!! And that is what we have lacked in our leaders for far too long, in my opinion.

Unfortunately, here in PA, if I am Independent, I get to vote in NONE of the primaries ... that was why I changed my voter registration. I figured a small voice was better than no voice. If it worked the same in PA as in CT, I think that there would be a lot more independents than there are :-)

Gerry Clinchy
03-04-2013, 12:02 PM
In the end, what do you all think of the outcome of the recent skirmish? Did the POTUS win the battle of sequestration? Or did the Rs gain some stature by standing firm?

As it turns out, due to the narrow scope of sequestration cuts, about 9% decrease falls in certain areas and 13% in defense. Obviously, when the POTUS' team presented this measure, they were betting that the Rs would not let defense take such a big hit, so they would "deal". But does any of us believe that the Defense Dept/Military doesn't waste at least 13% of their money? There has always been ample furor that they do so. Even if you support strong defense, one can believe this is true. Now they should go find out where the waste is, and keep the country safe as they are all sworn to do.

Truthfully, many citizens have had to cut their budgets by that much during this administration. Remember that food and energy are NOT included in the COL index. So, those in the middle and lower classes have also had their budgets cut more heavily than inflation or decreased compensation would indicate. The latter ran about 4% combined, the cost of food and energy have easily run into double digits (maybe triple digits for energy).

Will private sector actually cut jobs due to the sequester? 750,000 jobs cited by Sperling ... 1 million work for govt. Will 3/4 of govt jobs disappear? Private sector should actually be a bit more optimistic that govt spending is somewhat cut back ... though some of those jobs are dependent on govt spending. Some companies will be affected more than others.

Did the POTUS' "sky is falling" tactic, hurt his credibility?

However, with Obamacare coming into implementation simultaneously, will it make it more difficult to tell which jobs are lost due to the sequester or the effects of Obamacare? Maybe that was part of the POTUS' strategy WRT making a sequester deal impossible? People won't blame Obamacare; they will blame sequester. They will forget that both were his idea :-) No-win situation for the opposite side.

Will someone finally decide that the screws should be put to the Senate for failing to do its job in passing a budget?

It occurs to me that most of Congress and the POTUS are already independently wealthy. If ANY of them wanted to show their seriousness about cutting spending ... their pay cannot be cut (by law), but couldn't they all voluntarily contribute their compensation back to the Treasury? or part of it? or cut back their own spending within their offices? It could be voluntary ... not a law, but a resolution of the Congress. How about a resolution for each Congressperson to reduce their office expenditures by 10%.

Rand Paul presents the Treasury with a check each year for the $ allocated to his office that he does not spend, through his frugal management. Shouldn't there be a cap on "franking" privileges (which are often used for campaigning)? What about expenditures for furniture and other "fixture" niceties?

Marvin S
03-04-2013, 12:02 PM
Here's one where he is telling lies. http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?90456-Is-there-no-end-to-this-incredulity&highlight=snopes
But then the smartest kid in the 8th grade should be able to keep up.:D

The credibility & bias of snopes has been a subject of discussion on this forum, did you miss that?

If you don't believe that the POTUS by his daily actions has shown himself to be no friend of the military, then????????????

mngundog
03-04-2013, 12:05 PM
The credibility & bias of snopes has been a subject of discussion on this forum, did you miss that?

If you don't believe that the POTUS by his daily actions has shown himself to be no friend of the military, then????????????
Marvin you like to claim your smart yet you can't even figure it out when I give you the link, to funny.

huntinman
03-04-2013, 12:07 PM
Did the POTUS' "sky is falling" tactic, hurt his credibility?

No... because to most of the Right Obama has no credibility... And to the left it is not an issue.

huntinman
03-04-2013, 12:09 PM
Marvin you like to claim your smart yet you can't even figure it out when I give you the link, to funny.

You need to look in the mirror. Your constant stalking of Marvin is a little weird.

mngundog
03-04-2013, 12:12 PM
You need to look in the mirror. Your constant stalking of Marvin is a little weird.
That's funny. :D

Franco
03-04-2013, 12:24 PM
Funny how Snopes, Fact Check, Urban Legend are all biased according to those that don't agree with their findings.;-)

road kill
03-04-2013, 01:42 PM
Funny how Snopes, Fact Check, Urban Legend are all biased according to those that don't agree with their findings.;-)
And how they are considered unbiased by those who agree with their findings!!!!;-)

HPL
03-04-2013, 01:51 PM

PS Yer choice.

Hey JD, "sequester" is a noun as used in your sentence about you and your sweetie.

Uncle Bill
03-04-2013, 02:18 PM
Unfortunately, here in PA, if I am Independent, I get to vote in NONE of the primaries ... that was why I changed my voter registration. I figured a small voice was better than no voice. If it worked the same in PA as in CT, I think that there would be a lot more independents than there are :-)

I was of the opinion that was the case in all states, but mebbe in Paul's state, an Independant can vote in all primaries, along with all general elections also. Sort of a free-for-all. Wonder why more Independants aren't involved in that form of "democracy"? :confused:

Did you learn that form of "Constitutionalism in America" from the voters in Chicago, Paul? Good luck in your new found constituancey.:rolleyes:

UB

Franco
03-04-2013, 03:43 PM
And how they are considered unbiased by those who agree with their findings!!!!;-)

ALL the news organizations, including Fox News pay either Snopes or Fact Check to research stories they are reporting on. Too bad Fox doesn't listen to them when they inform them that a story is false.

Hard to take you and Huntingman seriously especially with all the conspiracy therories that the both of you post here on RTF.

road kill
03-04-2013, 03:48 PM
ALL the news organizations, including Fox News pay either Snopes or Fact Check to research stories they are reporting on. Too bad Fox doesn't listen to them when they inform them that a story is false.

Hard to take you and Huntingman seriously especially with all the conspiracy therories that the both of you post here on RTF.
Even harder to take you seriously when you accuse me of conspiracy theorys.
All you post about is your conspiracy theory of the Dems & the Repubs.

Do you ever think before you hit the post reply button?

For God's sakes man, step away from the bong!!!!

huntinman
03-04-2013, 04:00 PM

What are you talking about? Are you seeing helicopters out your window? You seem to be the one always talking about conspiracy this or that... I can't recall talking about a conspiracy. Have your wife call the pharmacy, I think your meds need refilled.

Franco
03-04-2013, 04:44 PM
Sorry to disappoint the Echo Chamber but I am not one for conspiracies. Not like you two that jump on and defend everything they dream up on Fox News!

huntinman
03-04-2013, 05:08 PM
Sorry to disappoint the Echo Chamber but I am not one for conspiracies. Not like you two that jump on and defend everything they dream up on Fox News!

Better have your wife get your reading glasses while she's at it. What I was defending, since you evidently were not able to comprehend it, is a fellow RTF'er.

paul young
03-04-2013, 07:08 PM
Well, I was wrong. After a bit of fact finding I found that if I register as an indendent, I can't vote in any Primary in Ct. I guess I'll just do as I have all along and vote for whoever I think is the best man.-Paul

Franco
03-04-2013, 07:40 PM
Well, I was wrong. After a bit of fact finding I found that if I register as an indendent, I can't vote in any Primary in Ct. I guess I'll just do as I have all along and vote for whoever I think is the best man.-Paul

It's a two party club and like me, you're not a member. They like the monopoly, keeps them im power, no matter how dysfuncional. Screw the Dems and Repubs, "Best Man", is the only way to go!

road kill
03-04-2013, 07:48 PM
It's a two party club and like me, you're not a member. They like the monopoly, keeps them im power, no matter how dysfuncional. Screw the Dems and Repubs, "Best Man", is the only way to go!

There, Ladies and Gentlemen, is your "Conspiracy Theory!"

huntinman
03-04-2013, 08:24 PM
And you wonder why people think Libertarians are kooks? :rolleyes:

Gerry Clinchy
03-04-2013, 08:47 PM
I've thought of registering as a Democrat so I can mess up their phone polls a bit :-)

sick lids
03-04-2013, 08:58 PM
I've thought of registering as a Democrat so I can mess up their phone polls a bit :-)

Funny, Last year I was a 50yr old, black, Jewish, female who voted for repubs that is until BHO ran. It was even funnier when a live person called and got the same answers, the guys working with me were dieing in the background as I had it on speaker phone. The lady that called wouldn't belive I was female, black, or Jewish.

Gerry Clinchy
03-04-2013, 09:22 PM
Back to sequester ... I keep thinking about who will benefit from what has happened.

The Admin has backed off on immediate disaster, saying that the effects will be more gradual. One might think that the Admin will look better if "pain" will result from the sequester event. If the economy worsens, they can say it is the fault of sequester, and not the economy's suffering due to food & energy costs.

OTOH, both Nebraska and the State Dept have cleared the way for the XL pipeline. Anticipated approval of same would be some time in June. If Obama stifles that again, there could be a lot of anger mixed with the economic pain. He's also sitting on 5 or 6 permits for building CNG export ports. If he starts approving those, that could also have positive economic effects.

So, does he hold up XL and the CNG port permits ... so that economic pain can be blamed on the Rs for sequester? Or does he approve XL and the port permits, have the economy get healthier & have that help him advance his spending agenda? Of course, if XL and CNG ports help the economy, and Fed revenues should increase even without any more tax increases, that would be counter to the Admin's basic premise.

I think he missed the boat by not pushing XL approval into this year. If it had been approved before the election, and the economy had shown an uptick, by now his approval ratings would be higher. That would give the Ds more clout in the mid-terms. Of course, if he can approve it soon enough to show some economic improvement before the mid-terms, then he could look like a bit of a hero for satisfying his environmental constituency, and eventually also satisfying his union constituency. (although it appears that the environmentalists would rather XL never become reality).

My brain is aching ... I could never be a politician!

Gerry Clinchy
03-05-2013, 12:36 AM
LOL! Now it's Reagan's fault ... not Obama's idea at all ... per Jay Carney at a press conference ...

CARNEY: The fact that it's called that was because that's what it was called back in the 1980s under the deficit reduction package known as Gramm-Rudman-Hollings that President Reagan signed when they had a trigger, a spending-cuts-only trigger that was evenly divided between defense spending and nondefense spending. And it's true that that was put on the table as part of the demand for a spending-cuts-only trigger that let's do it the way they did it back under President Reagan --

jeff evans
03-05-2013, 05:35 PM
No more self guided tours of the white house during spring break due to "sequester." This guy acts like a little child having a tantrum....what a leader we have!

huntinman
03-05-2013, 05:46 PM
Biggest jerk to ever inhabit the WH. OK, so he closes tours there and saves a pittance. Doesn't stop him from wasting billions on Egypt. Millions on his never ending campaigns, city to city tour or whatever. And we have four more years of this jackwagon. What will the debt be by then?

jeff evans
03-05-2013, 05:55 PM
Biggest jerk to ever inhabit the WH. OK, so he closes tours there and saves a pittance. Doesn't stop him from wasting billions on Egypt. Millions on his never ending campaigns, city to city tour or whatever. And we have four more years of this jackwagon. What will the debt be by then?

That is a very polite way to put it:) I have some other choice words I would like to use but I'll refrain. What a disgrace, I'm ashamed of our lack of leadership! This guy is a counterfeit fraud, and was elected using the same counterfeit fraudulent tactics he is using today...

huntinman
03-05-2013, 06:10 PM
That is a very polite way to put it:) I have some other choice words I would like to use but I'll refrain. What a disgrace, I'm ashamed of our lack of leadership! This guy is a counterfeit fraud, and was elected using the same counterfeit fraudulent tactics he is using today...

Yeah, I have to hold myself back on this topic.

Gerry Clinchy
03-05-2013, 08:44 PM
Evidently, even before sequester took effect, hours were cut at military health coverage, TRICARE, offices; and hours shortened at post exchanges.

Makes me believe, Obama & those close to him, knew that they never would avoid sequester ... it was their intention never to offer a compromise that the Rs would accept ... just make sure to set the stage for the pain being blamed on the Rs resistance.

Mark Levin alluded, tonight, that Boehner and the Rs are ready to sign that continuing resolution to keep the govt from shutting down at the end of March ... no mention of what they were getting in return for again turning a blind eye to the fact that the Senate (and Obama) yet again have produced no budget.

JDogger
03-05-2013, 11:56 PM
Hey JD, "sequester" is a noun as used in your sentence about you and your sweetie.
At the time it seemed both a noun and a verb. I guess it was one of those, 'ya had to be there, kinda things' you know.... :D

Now we the people get to practice a sequester. I hope it feels good, cause she did say, "yes". JD ;)

HPL
03-06-2013, 11:27 AM
At the time it seemed both a noun and a verb. I guess it was one of those, 'ya had to be there, kinda things' you know.... :D

Now we the people get to practice a sequester. I hope it feels good, cause she did say, "yes". JD ;)

One pretty good hint (noun vs verb), if "a" or "the" precede a word, it's a safe bet that it is a noun.

Gerry Clinchy
03-06-2013, 03:34 PM
Looks like some people HAVE been watching this sequester "showmanship"

(Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/06/us-usa-fiscal-poll-idUSBRE92507S20130306)) – Less than two months into his second term, President Barack Obama’s approval rating has dropped and Americans blame him and his fellow Democrats almost as much as his Republican opponents for a fiscal mess.

A Reuters/Ipsos online poll released on Wednesday showed 43 percent of people approve of Obama’s handling of his job, down 7 percentage points from February 19.

Gerry Clinchy
03-06-2013, 04:13 PM
Maybe the Rs are not as dumb as they often appear? The House passed the continuing resolution to keep the govt from shutting down at the end of the month. At first I thought that was another white flag they were waving. However, the result of passing the continuing resolution means that those sequester budget cuts now have "flexibility" so that each dept affected can put the cuts where they will inflict the LEAST pain, rather than the WH hopes of inflicting the MOST pain. Now the dept heads (a lot of whom would be partisan appointees) will have to take responsibility for how they handle their depts' cuts in spending? With this kind of flexibility, will the voters allow Napolitano to release more detainees without taking more flak for doing so?

Also, since the WH announced that the POTUS' budget would arrive at Congress on 3/25 (when Congress starts its spring recess on 3/22), this will give the Senate plenty of time to vote on the CR. My best guess would be that the Senate doesn't want a govt shutdown to loom as they head home for their vacations?

Gerry Clinchy
03-07-2013, 07:28 PM
From National Review ... seems that almost the entire sequester 5% cut (in its category) was taken care of by cancelling the WH tours. The WH could have apportioned things differently, had they so desired.

It appears that the amount of money saved by cancelling public tours of the White House is roughly equal to, if not dramatically less than, the cost of one of President Obama’s vacations.

NBC News reported (http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03/07/17225371-secret-service-canceled-white-house-tours-save-74k-a-week?lite) Thursday that halting tours of the White House, a measure the Obama administration has blamed on the spending reductions mandated by sequestration, would save about $74,000 per week, or nearly $2 million over the remainder of the fiscal year.

Those savings are roughly half the cost of Obama’s Christmas vacation to Hawaii last year, which was thoroughly documented (http://www.hawaiireporter.com/residents-alerted-to-obamas-hawaiian-holiday-plans/123) by the watchdog website Hawaii Reporter. They estimated the total cost of that trip was “at least $4 million,” although the true cost could be nearly five times that much (http://www.whitehousedossier.com/2013/01/04/taxpayer-bill-obamas-hawaii-vacations-20-million/).

The president is reportedly planning (http://www.politico.com/politico44/2013/03/source-preparations-underway-for-obama-vacation-on-158744.html) a jaunt to Martha’s Vineyard in August, a repeat of a trip he made in 2011, when he spent eleven days at a $50,000-per-week beachfront rental property. US News & World Report pegged the cost (http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/washington-whispers/2011/08/11/obamas-vineyard-vacation-will-cost-taxpayers-millions) of that trip to taxpayers as being in the “millions.”
Last week, Senate Jeff Sessions (R., Ala.) estimated (http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/senator-obamas-golf-weekend-tiger-cost-much-341-federal-workers-furloughed_704915.html) that Obama’s recent golf outing with Tiger Woods (http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-02-21/sports/37211930_1_tiger-woods-match-play-championship-president-obama) cost taxpayers “over a million dollars,” which was “enough money to save 341 federal workers from furlough.”
The White House has repeatedly insisted that cancelling the tours (beginning March 9) was unavoidable as the administration seeks to implement mandatory budget cuts. “We very much regret having to take this action, particularly during the popular Spring touring season,” the White House said in an e-mail (http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/342220/wh-cancels-tours-blames-sequester-andrew-stiles) to congressional staff earlier this week.
When asked about a group of Iowa sixth-grader petitioning the White House (http://politicker.com/2013/03/iowa-sixth-graders-beg-white-house-not-to-cancel-their-tour-due-to-sequester/) to reverse its decision, press secretary Jay Carney told reporters (http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/286837-carney-white-house-tour-shutdown-very-unfortunate#ixzz2MshrxRrb) it was “extremely unfortunate” that administration was compelled to cancel the tours. The group was scheduled to tour the White House on March 16.

The Office of Management and Budget has calculated (http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/omb/assets/legislative_reports/fy13ombjcsequestrationreport.pdf) that the administration must implement a 5 percent reduction to the $16 million budget authority for the Executive Residence at the White House, the operating expenses of which include (http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/docs/2013-eop-budget1.pdf) providing for “the public appreciation of and pride in the White House, its history, and display of its contents to annual visitors.” This portion of the federal budget is also responsible, according to the White House (http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/docs/2013-eop-budget1.pdf), for the “official entertainment expenses of the President.”

No word yet on how much those expenses will be cut due to sequestration.

Gerry Clinchy
03-09-2013, 02:22 PM
If you'd like to see what is being cut from where
http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/omb/assets/legislative_reports/fy13ombjcsequestrationreport.pdf

Gerry Clinchy
03-13-2013, 12:07 AM
http://townhall.com/columnists/byronyork/2013/03/11/obama-resists-simple-fixes-for-sequestration-cuts-n1531476/page/full/
This is pretty dispicable ... there is a method for the various departments to put the sequester cuts wherever they want to that would cause the least pain: all they have to do is ask Congress to allow the reallocation of funds. The dept heads were even sent a letter by Issa's House Committee asking them to do this; "just ask & we'll approve" the reallocations.

But none of the depts responded! Not one!

This should be remembered when elections come around!

Wade
03-13-2013, 06:26 PM
Are all the department heads Dems, Republicans or a little of both?

http://townhall.com/columnists/byronyork/2013/03/11/obama-resists-simple-fixes-for-sequestration-cuts-n1531476/page/full/
This is pretty dispicable ... there is a method for the various departments to put the sequester cuts wherever they want to that would cause the least pain: all they have to do is ask Congress to allow the reallocation of funds. The dept heads were even sent a letter by Issa's House Committee asking them to do this; "just ask & we'll approve" the reallocations.

But none of the depts responded! Not one!

This should be remembered when elections come around!

Gerry Clinchy
03-13-2013, 06:35 PM
Wade, I would imagine there may be a mix of party affiliations, but also good chance that the people at the top of the food chain (who hold the power) are partisan appointees.

There was a published email that indicated the WH policy was to create the most pain possible. You'd think that there would be at least one of them (of whatever party) that has a remnant of conscience to do their best for the citizenry who pay their salaries.

Wade
03-13-2013, 07:01 PM
[QUOTE

There was a published email that indicated the WH policy was to create the most pain possible. You'd think that there would be at least one of them (of whatever party) that has a remnant of conscience to do their best for the citizenry who pay their salaries.[/QUOTE]

AGREED!!!!

Gerry Clinchy
03-13-2013, 10:43 PM
Rep. Frieden (R-MD), House Appropriations Committee, questioned Harris, head of CDC on the effect of sequester cuts of $30 million which the POTUS contended would cause great damage to childrens' vaccination programs. Here is the transcript from the Washington Examiner:

HARRIS: Dr. Frieden, I have a great deal of concern about a document that my office got from the White House that talked about the cuts that were going to occur due to Republicans and affecting children. And I’m going to read their quote about vaccines for children. It says, in Maryland, about 2,050 fewer children will receive vaccines due to reduced funding for vaccinations of about $140,000. Did the CDC assist the White House in preparing that estimate?FRIEDEN: I would have to get back to you on that.
HARRIS: You as the director don’t know if you assisted the White House in preparing an estimate that was distributed to every member of Congress?
FRIEDEN: On that specific number, I would have to — to give you…
HARRIS: OK, let’s — let’s forget the number. Let’s forget the idea of how vaccines for children are going to be affected by the sequester. Is this the vaccine for children program?
FRIEDEN: No, it is not, sir.
HARRIS: Which program is it? Is it 317?
FRIEDEN: Yes, it is, sir.
HARRIS: And what did the president’s budget do to 317, the president’s prospective budget for 2013?
FRIEDEN: The precise numbers I would have to get back to you.
HARRIS: Does $58 million cut sound familiar?
FRIEDEN: Yes.
HARRIS: And what was the sequester cut?
FRIEDEN: Again, the precise numbers…
HARRIS: Does $30 million sound familiar?
FRIEDEN: I would…
HARRIS: You think that’s around ballpark, isn’t it? So actually, the president cut the program twice as much in his budget. Can I assume that the president’s proposed cut would have reduced funding to 4,100 children in Maryland?
FRIEDEN: As per the justification that was published with that, we’ve looked at ways that we can run the program more efficiently by helping state and local health departments recoup dollars, for example, for insured patients.
HARRIS: And you can’t do that under a sequester, but you can do it under the president’s budget? Is that my understanding of your testimony today?
FRIEDEN: I would have to get back to you on that.
HARRIS: So let me get it — let me get it straight. Under the president’s cut of $58 million to the 317 program, you think you could get around that to avoid cutting vaccines to children, but under a sequester, that the president blames on Republicans, you don’t know if you can do that?
FRIEDEN: We’re going to do everything we can to limit any damage that occurs because of the across-the-board cut, but it reduces our flexibility significantly.
HARRIS: Is it your testimony that under the president’s proposed cut of $58 million in his budget to the 317 program you could have avoided cuts to vaccines to children in Maryland?
FRIEDEN: We believe that we could have maintained vaccination levels, yes.
HARRIS: Very interesting. I yield back the balance of my time for now.
This guy sounds as muddled as Hagle did in his confirmation hearing.

huntinman
03-13-2013, 11:35 PM
Rep. Frieden (R-MD), House Appropriations Committee, questioned Harris, head of CDC on the effect of sequester cuts of $30 million which the POTUS contended would cause great damage to childrens' vaccination programs. Here is the transcript from the Washington Examiner:

This guy sounds as muddled as Hagle did in his confirmation hearing.

He knew the answer, he just refused to say it... He was determined to defend Obama.