PDA

View Full Version : Racial entitlement...

JDogger
02-27-2013, 09:44 PM
Is section 5 of the voting rights act 'racial entitlement' ? I'm curious.

It seems no one discusses the daily politics anymore.

While not a fanboy of BO, I hope he can change the face of the SCOTUS in the next few years. Scalia should be tarred, feathered, and put on a rail for his comments today. JD

Marvin S
02-27-2013, 09:53 PM

While not a fanboy of BO, I hope he can change the face of the SCOTUS in the next few years. Scalia should be tarred, feathered, and put on a rail for his comments today. JD

As you quoted no link before going off - I'll venture a couple of comments.

We are at a point in time that no one involved in the so-called attrocities supposedly visited on minorities are no longer around. So why should "racial entitlement" continue?

Scalia is probably the heavyweight of heavyweights on the SCOTUS - your comments about him should get your mouth washed out with soap.

HPL
02-27-2013, 10:04 PM
If Obama changes the face of the Supreme Court, we are all in BIG trouble. I think you will see the second amendment gone, the first seriously damaged, and the same with the ninth and tenth.

JDogger
02-27-2013, 10:22 PM
As you quoted no link before going off - I'll venture a couple of comments.

We are at a point in time that no one involved in the so-called attrocities supposedly visited on minorities are no longer around. So why should "racial entitlement" continue? I live in a town with three banks. none have been robbed in fifty years. So we should do away with the laws against bank robbery?

Scalia is probably the heavyweight of heavyweights on the SCOTUS - your comments about him should get your mouth washed out with soap. Yes, Mom

Were not you the one begging for links on a previous post.

[quote Marvin]"Contrary to what the resident curmudgeon states :smile:. Would someone post the link?

From the 2-25-13 National Review an article "States of Conservatism" by John Hood begins with:
http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by edited for brevity
Inaugration day 2013 was a moment of jubilation for conservatives.

I'm describing the inaugration of Pat McCrory, NC's 1st R governor in 20 years. One of the few bright spots of the election, it would show why this election in the 10th largest state got more attention than normal.

In general, however, R success in state & local politics is an under reported story.

Often without a great deal of national attention, conservatives have turned their election victories in many states into legislative victories. They cite specifically WI, MI & TX, with specific progress on fiscal & educational reform being made in other states.

We should not be naive. New Republican governments at the state & local levels haven't always produced conservative leadership, & there is more work to do!

& from Steve Forbes Fact & Comment column - could someone link? - (Steve would like us on a Gold standard with a Flat Tax) - the observation of 2 anniversaries, a praise of conservative governors & a comment about the Fed:
http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by SF (edited)
This year marks the 100th anniversary of the Federal Income Tax in February & the Federal Reserve system in December, both of which today do immeasurable harm. & thankfully, both will be undergoing enormous changes.

A potshot at NJ, MA, IL, CA, MD & CT for their punishing taxes - & kudo's to Sam Brownback KS, Dave Heineman NE, Bobby Jindal LA, Pat McCrory NC, Mary Fallin OK & John Kasich OH.

The Fed's ultra low interest rate policy is compared to rent control (I know personally it has made it hard to donate to worthy causes). Even the Bank of England has been voicing deep skepticism about the efficacy of QE.

Being off the gold standard has been destructive of the world's financial systems.

Anyway there is a lot of cause for optimism - but I'll pass this little tidbit on - when George Wallace conducted his 3rd party candidacy he got around 20% of the vote, in a different time when Ross Perot conducted his on again off again on again campaign he also got got around 20%, other fringe parties have gotten up to 5% of the vote. & we're supposed to buy the hogwash that the Libertarians are a viable party with 1% of the vote :rolleyes:.

The NR is espcially good this month with a couple of good articles on Immigration Reform. Have a great weekend, folks."[quote/ Marvin] :smile:.

I attempted to post the links to NR for you but the online version would not allow, and since I don't have a paper copy here to scan and post...

I'll post links when you learn how to...WTH here you go...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/justice-scalias-contempt-of-congress/2013/02/27/f06d4cbc-811a-11e2-b99e-6baf4ebe42df_story.html

http://tv.msnbc.com/2013/02/27/scalia-renewing-voting-rights-act-a-perpetuation-of-racial-entitlement/

I can do more...your call..JD

JDogger
02-27-2013, 10:42 PM
If Obama chages the face of the Supreme Court, we are all in BIG trouble. I think you will see the second amendment gone, the first seriously damaged, and the same with the ninth and tenth.

Whether or not the changes to SCOTUS happen due to Obama or some future POTUS only time will tell. JD

M&K's Retrievers
02-27-2013, 11:36 PM
Whether or not the changes to SCOTUS happen due to Obama or some future POTUS only time will tell. JD

I really don't think we can take more than two of Obama's appointments to SCOTUS. I'm afraid these two will do enough damage. SCOTUS appointments was the main reason I opposed his reelection.

JDogger
02-27-2013, 11:54 PM
I really don't think we can take more than two of Obama's appointments to SCOTUS. I'm afraid these two will do enough damage. SCOTUS appointments was the main reason I opposed his reelection.

Define damage Mike. The current activist SCOTUS seems damaging enough. Scalia's comment that the 2006 re-activation of the voting rights should not have been left up to congress, and should not now be, Who makes the laws? The balance of powers between the three branchs seems to be more blurred then ever. Some seem to think the exectutive should unilaterally make and pass a budget.
Civics classes for all regards, JD

huntinman
02-28-2013, 07:38 AM
Define damage Mike. The current activist SCOTUS seems damaging enough. Scalia's comment that the 2006 re-activation of the voting rights should not have been left up to congress, and should not now be, Who makes the laws? The balance of powers between the three branchs seems to be more blurred then ever. Some seem to think the exectutive should unilaterally make and pass a budget.

Now that's funny!

caryalsobrook
02-28-2013, 07:50 AM

It depends on what the definition of "IS" is;)

Marvin S
02-28-2013, 11:25 AM
Were not you the one begging for links on a previous post.

[quote Marvin]"Contrary to what the resident curmudgeon states . Would someone post the link?

From the 2-25-13 National Review an article "States of Conservatism" by John Hood begins with:
http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by edited for brevity
Inaugration day 2013 was a moment of jubilation for conservatives.

I'm describing the inaugration of Pat McCrory, NC's 1st R governor in 20 years. One of the few bright spots of the election, it would show why this election in the 10th largest state got more attention than normal.

In general, however, R success in state & local politics is an under reported story.

Often without a great deal of national attention, conservatives have turned their election victories in many states into legislative victories. They cite specifically WI, MI & TX, with specific progress on fiscal & educational reform being made in other states.

We should not be naive. New Republican governments at the state & local levels haven't always produced conservative leadership, & there is more work to do!

& from Steve Forbes Fact & Comment column - could someone link? - (Steve would like us on a Gold standard with a Flat Tax) - the observation of 2 anniversaries, a praise of conservative governors & a comment about the Fed:
http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by SF (edited)
This year marks the 100th anniversary of the Federal Income Tax in February & the Federal Reserve system in December, both of which today do immeasurable harm. & thankfully, both will be undergoing enormous changes.

A potshot at NJ, MA, IL, CA, MD & CT for their punishing taxes - & kudo's to Sam Brownback KS, Dave Heineman NE, Bobby Jindal LA, Pat McCrory NC, Mary Fallin OK & John Kasich OH.

The Fed's ultra low interest rate policy is compared to rent control (I know personally it has made it hard to donate to worthy causes). Even the Bank of England has been voicing deep skepticism about the efficacy of QE.

Being off the gold standard has been destructive of the world's financial systems.

Anyway there is a lot of cause for optimism - but I'll pass this little tidbit on - when George Wallace conducted his 3rd party candidacy he got around 20% of the vote, in a different time when Ross Perot conducted his on again off again on again campaign he also got got around 20%, other fringe parties have gotten up to 5% of the vote. & we're supposed to buy the hogwash that the Libertarians are a viable party with 1% of the vote :rolleyes:.

The NR is espcially good this month with a couple of good articles on Immigration Reform. Have a great weekend, folks."[quote/ Marvin] :smile:.

I attempted to post the links to NR for you but the online version would not allow, and since I don't have a paper copy here to scan and post...

I'll post links when you learn how to...WTH here you go...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/justice-scalias-contempt-of-congress/2013/02/27/f06d4cbc-811a-11e2-b99e-6baf4ebe42df_story.html

http://tv.msnbc.com/2013/02/27/scalia-renewing-voting-rights-act-a-perpetuation-of-racial-entitlement/

I can do more...your call..JD

JD, I appreciate the links - Now, if you could learn how to quote (something so simple even I can do it :)) so your post was not a word maze that would probably help make your point :-P.

Gerry Clinchy
03-02-2013, 10:17 AM
Do we fully understand what the discussion was about with Scalia?

The law under discussion limited the racial discrimination provisions to a few states where suppression of the black vote had been a serious problem. Other states are not mentioned. Further, the law only refers to blacks ... does not include Latino, Asian, etc. So, if we have laws which guarantee the right to vote to everyone, have the narrow specifications of this particular law now lost their significance. IF we really need a law to iterate the guarantee of the right to vote, wouldn't it really need a law that is more inclusive?

And this law is not the same thing as the voter ID discussion. Voter ID would not discriminate against anyone. The ID law here in PA was put in place prior to the POTUS election in 2012, but it was not required in the 2012 election. So, the state is allowing very ample time for acquiring ID for everyone, and there is a strong effort to make it possible for EVERYone to acquire the ID in the interim.

At our own voting station, I have noted vans that bring nursing home residents and disabled persons to the voting station. With the ample time allowed by our state, would this model not also be used to get these people their voting ID? For homebound elderly and handicapped, there is also publicly provided transportation that is scheduled at the user's convenience ... door-to-door. State and Federal representatives are also offering voters the opportunity to call their offices if they have transportation problems in acquiring the ID. Basically, unless you are living under a rock or in a coma, everyone should be able to get their voter ID in advance of the requirement going into effect.

luvmylabs23139
03-02-2013, 10:21 AM

Yup, he put that bitch (yes she is) that said in the lower court screw studying for the test if not enough minorites clamp down and do the work throw the thing out. WHAT A BIASED IDIOT. ( new haven firefighters)

Uncle Bill
03-02-2013, 03:46 PM

Isn't this poetic? One of the leading minds in the world is being ridiculed by one the true mental midgets on POTUS Place. The original Self Appointed POTUS Place police...or acronymically: SAPPP of NM! You are living proof of P.J. O'Rourke's cognitive quote, "Hubris is one of the great renewable resources." You are such an embarrassement to society, it's hard to defend your right to be the colossal fool you continually make of yourself.

Only fools like you don't have the intelligence to realize if it weren't for the likes of a Scalia on the SCOTUS, your gun rights would already have been taken from you, along with your 2nd amendment rights.

In a comparative world, Scalia would be a mega-star general, and you wouldn't even be a pimple on a PFC's ass. Your arrogance is beyond the pale. May you forever rot in your self-aggrandizement.

UB

JDogger
03-02-2013, 06:59 PM
Isn't this poetic? One of the leading minds in the world is being ridiculed by one the true mental midgets on POTUS Place. The original Self Appointed POTUS Place police...or acronymically: SAPPP of NM! You are living proof of P.J. O'Rourke's cognitive quote, "Hubris is one of the great renewable resources." You are such an embarrassement to society, it's hard to defend your right to be the colossal fool you continually make of yourself.

Only fools like you don't have the intelligence to realize if it weren't for the likes of a Scalia on the SCOTUS, your gun rights would already have been taken from you, along with your 2nd amendment rights.

In a comparative world, Scalia would be a mega-star general, and you wouldn't even be a pimple on a PFC's ass. Your arrogance is beyond the pale. May you forever rot in your self-aggrandizement.

UB

Bill, I'll not respond in kind. I can only wish you a happy weekend. JD

"At this point, does it really matter?"

You too, Stan. :)

Dan Storts
03-02-2013, 08:59 PM

It is to bad Clarence Thomas don't ask some questions. I believe he has only asked a couple questions in all the years he has sat on the SCOTUS.

Why don't their end goal be stated. That is every human being in the United States be able to vote period. Even if they are not citizens, are convicted felons and can hold a pencil so mommy or daddy can tell them which box to check.