PDA

View Full Version : Disabled Handlers, Trainers & Hunters

deemteam
03-09-2005, 07:59 PM
Just added to the list of presenters at the CA DFG Gun Dog Clinic ( http://www.dfg.ca.gov/coned/huntclinics/gundog.html ) is a fellow that trains, handles and hunts from his wheelchair.....he will be working both his Springer Spaniel and Labrador as part of the dog demonstrations. He is an inspirational guy and should anyone need some encouargement to get involved with Gun Dogs despite what personal challenges they may have.....he's just the fellow sportsman for them to come see in action.

JP
03-20-2005, 07:08 PM
Do you have any additional info on who this guy is? I've been in a wheelchair since I was a teenager (a long, long time ago!) and hunting in and out of it for the past 20 years or so. That's a pretty common deal these days. But I got involved in hunt tests about four years ago and have become pretty addicted to it. I'm now running my yellow lab at the master level and have a new puppy coming this summer. I've always wondered if there is anyone else doing the same thing, but so far I have yet to come accross anyone. It would be great to have someone to share my experiences with and to talk to about "how you do that". Anyway, if you know who this fellow is and how he can be contacted, I would be very interested.

Thanks!

John Gassner
03-31-2005, 11:44 AM
Terry Veach I believe is still running dogs in FTs and I think maybe HTs in the Mid-Ill. area. Kevin would know more. She is an amazing person and a joy to be around. Her dog's not bad either!

John

AmiableLabs
04-01-2005, 10:35 PM
Terry Veach I believe is still running dogs in FTs and I think maybe HTs in the Mid-Ill. area. Kevin would know more. She is an amazing person and a joy to be around. Her dog's not bad either!
John, as you know, Multiple Sclerosis is progressive. Sadly, I believe we have seen the last of Terri running dogs. :(

Bruce Curtis was kind enough to take "Coach" south this winter. She has someone, I forget who, running him in HTs down there and he is doing quite well. She loves the dog very much and wants him to get to work.

I am on her back to let me run him when he comes back north.

We'll be seeing her this weekend, I'll tell her you said "hi."

My oldest son (22 yo.) was born with Spina Bifida, and by a miracle can walk normally. He has fallen in love with a girl (19 yo.) who was also born with Spina Bifida, but she is paralyzed from the waist down.

It was partly due to Terri's influences on our son that he found it so easy to fall for a girl who will be in a wheelchair for the rest of her life.

That is quite a legacy.