RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

ARGHHH Tree Huggers

22K views 91 replies 59 participants last post by  shawninthesticks 
#1 ·
I have been training in Anderson, Texas for the past two weeks. Staying at a nice hotel in Navasota. After a long day of training, I return to the motel and air the dogs. I gather my stuff, while some women tries to get her beautifully coiffed Shelties in the door. Of course, they do not sit, heel or otherwise obey her. As I am about to enter the shower, the front desk calls me and says that someone is threatening to call the police if I do not take my dogs out of the chassis mount truck and put them in the room.
I tell them "Call the Police." I take my shower, change clothes, walk to the front desk and who should I meet but the Sheltie Lady and the Police.

She says "I am not trying to jack with you" (first words out of her mouth). I respond "Right." I tell the cop I am happy to show him my insulated Ainley Chassis Mount, but not that "woman." We walk to the truck. I show him the chassis mount, the insulated walls and floors. The dog mats and dog beds. I tell him that these are hunting dogs, not lap dogs. He tells me that my truck is nicer than the animal shelter. End of story.

But, what a pile of crap

#6 ·
It's coming everywhere.

#3 ·
I think what it comes down to is people just don't know how to mind their own business. I couldn't fathom telling someone what to do with their own animals unless it was the most dire situation. Kudos for standing your ground and not just giving in to make the nuisance go away.

#4 ·
You were much more civil than I.
Last year at a test in Miss., while at dinner, a drunk 30 something chick told me in the parking lot of a restaurant "I would really appreciate it if you would take those animals out of that box". My dogs were in a very nice MTCK 5 hole box with lights and fans.
I replied" I would really appreciate it if you would mind your own business".
The conversation went quickly downhill and ended with me just driving away as she jogged along the truck giving me the single finger salute.
MP

#5 ·
Hopefully she was just passing through Texas.

#8 ·
Smartphones, Internet 24 /7 instant news, social media ... People forget simple manners about minding their own business and think they are somehow so much more informed these days.

Sounds rather amuzing compared to the 13 inches of rain soaked frozen snow I've dealt with today. Rather envious of your warmer weather eventfull day. Who knows maybe you'll see her at the coctail lounge and have another story for tomorrow!

#11 ·

Sorry, Wayne. I think it is a 2005 or so Expedition

#10 ·
People can be really annoying sometimes, but I think alot of them have no idea how nice those dog boxes are. They're imagining a steel metal hotbox like you'd find in a pow camp for torturing prisoners, not insulation, beds, fans and traveling in style :)

People are crazy nowadays though...they have strollers for dogs now! Why on earth would you take your dog for a walk where you pushed it in a stroller instead of it getting exercise through WALKING? Why on earth would you want to wear your dog in a pouch on your chest as if it were a human baby? Dogs actually have working legs by the time they go home from the breeder in most cases. Why do people need to treat them like babies instead?

I think it's weird....and so sad too....lol!

#31 · (Edited)
People can be really annoying sometimes, but I think alot of them have no idea how nice those dog boxes are. They're imagining a steel metal hotbox like you'd find in a pow camp for torturing prisoners, not insulation, beds, fans and traveling in style :)
QUOTE]
Amazing the difference in mentality of people, I have four kennels in the back of my truck with the Mud River Kennel covers on them. I constantly get people telling me that I spoil my dogs. While I wouldn't leave my dogs overnight in the kennels at anything below probably about 20F many people here in Alaska will line the kennels with straw and with the cover, dogs stay in them overnight with out any problems. While we don't get many days of hot weather, most people I know will have door mounted fans for circulation. Again many folks think the dogs are just spoiled because of the fans. As far as the chassis mounted dog boxes go, most are better equipped than the hotels the owner is staying in. Last hotel I stayed in didn't even have a coffee pot in the room for crying out loud. You can bet when I buy my next truck and have a chassis mount box installed it will be all inclusive with coffee pot. People just need to worry about there own lives because they usually have more faults than they can count. In an effort to make themselves feel better they look for other people to complain about. Ted I think you handled the situation far better than I would have. I would have probably had a colorful exchange with the woman, once I was done proving to the policeman the dogs weren't in harms way.

#12 ·
Too bad you had to experience that! Sometimes pet dog people are the most ignorant. Yet their dogs are the most ill mannered! Cudos to that officer! Hope you have better training days ahead without meeting up with the likes of her again!IMO

#13 ·
I think I'm going to weigh in at least partially on the side of the woman. I think that the best approach would have been to ask the desk to give you a few minutes as you had just stepped out of the shower and then take your shower, go down and be an ambassador for the sport. Meet the woman, show her how nice the accommodations are in the truck (I have never seen inside one of those either) and assure her that the dogs are well taken care of. That might have made a friend out of someone who was, after all, just concerned about the welfare of your animals. When people approach you concerned about the welfare of your animals in the trucks, why not take the opportunity to show off the truck? Would two or three minutes kill you? Wouldn't it be better to take a chance and possibly win a friend instead of absolutely solidifying an enemy? Dog trucks in parking lots is a close as many people will ever get to a hunt test of field trial. Why convince them that the folks who participate in these activities really are jerks?

#14 ·
Wowsers. I won't speak for Ted, but when someone's first order of business is to call the police on me, the relationship is off to a rocky start. I've dealt with these types. They aren't curious and no amount of reasoning will convince them that you have the dog's best interest in mind. It's not uncommon for do-gooders to "emancipate" dogs from a crate or box at a hotel even near highways. People who are either too rude or too stupid to mind their own business don't deserve the kind of treatment you describe. Anybody with half a brain understands that a guy that has a $20,000 stainless box on his $50,000 truck probably cares about his dog's welfare.

#20 ·
I like HPL's idea, but sometimes you just know when you meet people whether or not the'll be receptive to learning something new. I also like to reserve the right to NOT have to explain myself to strangers when I've done nothing wrong....moreso when I'm hot, and tired and in need of a shower, lol!

#26 ·
I like HPL's idea, but sometimes you just know when you meet people whether or not the'll be receptive to learning something new. I also like to reserve the right to NOT have to explain myself to strangers when I've done nothing wrong....moreso when I'm hot, and tired and in need of a shower, lol![/QUOTE]

Well, I hope you noticed that I didn't suggest that the OP dash down and talk to the woman, but rather that he go ahead and take his shower and then go down and behave like a true Texas gentleman. Not only would that have perhaps won a convert, but might also have prevented a LEO from wasting his valuable time dealing with this.

#27 ·
Ted you done good.... BUT (butt ugly truth) you live in Golden and managed the good fortune to find the one "tree hugger" in Texas ? Now that is funny right there!

Best of luck in your trials hope you accomplish your goals!

#35 ·
I LOLed about that myself. Wasn't there a trial in CO where the town cops told everyone they couldn't keep their dogs in trucks?

In my town the K9 cops keep their dogs in the back seats of their cruisers. They have bars in the windows with the fans, but still it gets way hotter in those things than an insulated kennel even with the fans on. Had one come up and check out my truck once and now he is trying to convince the city to get them pickups with insulated slide-ins.

#30 ·
Ted,
You handled it the right way. I would have told the clerk on the phone to "go ahead call'em." You have no need to justify your actions to her, or the police for that matter. It is obvious bowing down to her would not have earned a friend or ambassador, but rather made you look like a fool.

Despite what others have said here.... you done right in my book

#32 ·
I agree with what Ted did. The only part I can't believe is that he found a "nice hotel" in Navasota. LOL!

#33 ·
I agree with Ted. And I am a person who takes my dog's into the hotel room. One sleeps on the bed. They have the life, so I think!

But I know what you folks trailers and dog kennels are like. They are really beautiful, safe and insulated.

My problem with going to that lady and speaking with her as some suggested is I would not be sure how she would react to me. Also she did not want to go that route as she immediately involved the police. Obviously a very misinformed pet owner. I don't mind being an ambassador if it is a two way street! IMO

#38 · (Edited)
Also she did not want to go that route as she immediately involved the police. Obviously a very misinformed pet owner. I don't mind being an ambassador if it is a two way street! IMO
She didn't immediately involve the police. When the call came in that someone was complaining and if the dogs werenot taken into the hotel, THEN they would call the police. There was an opportunity to educate the public, but the choice was made to call the cops. She was obviously concerned about the dogs and didn't understand chassis mounted dog trucks. She could have been savings dogs lived instead of inconveniencing Ted.

I also would have tried to avoid calling the cops because in my opinion, they should be out saving lives, etc, not dealing with something that perhaps I could have dealt with myself. Perhaps just approaching her. And saying "I understand you are concerned about my dogs..... Let me show your their ride..." Could have changed the whole situation.

i am always amazed of how society continues to show a lack of civility towards others..... An eye for an eye doesn't always cut it.

#36 ·
Most of this type don't understand the meaning of a Working Retriever, or any animal for that matter.
Since most don't work them selfs. How else could you find the time to monitor the rest of the world.
How could a animal enjoy the work it was bred for?

Lee

#37 ·
Ted,
As a certified "tree hugger" I resent being labeled in with low information busy-bodies. Glad however that you stood your ground and especially happy that you were lucky enough to have an intelligent cop respond.
I've never had to deal with someone accusing us of mistreating our dogs - I'd be happy to show them our annual vet bills which are a multiple of what we spend on ourselves :) - but I did have to advise a WalMart matron that if she did not get her urchins fingers off of my dog box I would happily cut them off and feed to the dogs inside.

#43 ·
I think what some of you don't understand is these folks don't listen to reason. I had a neighbor who mentioned three or four times that my dogs looked skinny. I explained that they ate plenty of high quality food and that they were thin because they got a ton of exercise. Around that time one of my dogs started having problems with loose stools. This went on for weeks and I tried everything including switching foods. I later found out that the neighbor was feeding my dogs scraps and treats everyday when I wasn't home. If you think you can reason with a mindless busy body, go ahead, but I won't waste time doing it again.

#47 ·
Since dog trucks are fairly common both in the area and at the local hotels and motels the hotel manager should have and could have defused the situation by explaining that dog people are very good customers who take very good care of their animals and are respectful of the rights of others.

#50 ·

the manager tried. She wanted to call police and did

#49 ·
I agree with Ted on this one.

If someone approaches me to ask about the dogs being in the dog box, I will explain it and show them the box. However, if they threaten me with the police before any other conversation has taken place, and try to tell me what and when to do something with my dogs, my response will be the same as Ted's.

Not long after I moved here, I was pulling into the Walmart parking lot and saw a truck with a dog topper on it. My thought? "Cool...dog people!" After I parked my truck, I saw a lady pushing her shopping cart to that truck, so I figured I'd go over and meet a dog person. (Sled dogs, not retrievers) When she saw me walking over, her posture immediately became defensive, until we had exchanged a few words. She said she is so tired of people telling her how cruel it is to make dogs ride in the topper, when they should be riding in the cab in the A/C. Of course, they don't bother to ask about that big A/C unit sitting on the topper itself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.