RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

TRAINING....Male vs. Female ?

7K views 27 replies 27 participants last post by  swampcollielover 
#1 ·
What's everyones Opinion and/or Experience when training a Male vs. Female dog? (as I've always had only Male Dogs in the past)
"I can already imagine some of the sarcastic responses !......" LOL

#2 ·
I believe its just a matter of personal preference and your goals for what you plan to do with the dog. Such as do you ever plan to breed and raise a litter? I think from a training standpoint females may mature a bit quicker. Other than that you will probably get a lot of other differing opinions here on this subject.

#8 ·
Interesting .... and truly a personal preference...

I have owned/trained/competed both, I prefer my GIRLZ.

#6 ·
Depends on the dog. There are many stereotypes thrown about, and some apply a percentage of the time. But dogs are unaware of our preconceived ideas about how they'll train due to sex or breed or color. As D.L. Walters once said to me, "A good dog is a good dog".

Evan

#9 ·
I think it comes down to preference and if you like the breeding it shouldnt matter male or female, I like males because of there blockier and bigger head generally so it was a look thing for me more than anything.

#10 · (Edited)
After comparing multiple boys and girls siblings from the various litters. Boys have a tendency to be easier... they just are... they are more willing to please... more go with the flow and don't have the incessant need to test and challenge you. That said Females are harder probably because at least in my experience females are smarter (a different type of problem solving-manipulative intelligence)...seems females are more likely to be pin-point markers and females get things quicker...but females have tendency to believe they are smarter than you... and females like to test. Aside from the heat hormonal thing...there are many reasons why most performance people run males... It's harder to have a high performing female (just look at the stats)...you beat your head against the wall more with them... but for me it's more worth while, I like Females...although some days I can really appreciate a wanting to please male.

P.C. Clause all these are generalities, that people will howl are wrong, but it's what I've found to be true in my experience, so take it for what any advice typed up and published in micro-seconds is worth ;)

#17 ·
I have one of each from the same litter, 16 months old. Two completely different dogs. Male is a get along, whatever you want him to do, no problem; immature, out da box, running buddy, that'll climb up in your pocket if you let him; but leary of people he doesn't know. Female is a fun loving, wide open, git it quick, I'll do it my way until you smoke my butt kinda dog, that never sees a stranger. I guess I have the best of both worlds. Never a dull moment. We're on her second week of her first heat cycle. It's been somewhat of an interesting situation.

#18 ·
As someone who sees at least 100 dogs per week, it is my opinion that it's less about the dog being male/female and more about the personality the dog was born with.

Seems to me that each litter has pups that fall into a certain pecking order. There are the dominants, the weak/shy, and the somewhere in the middles. You can get a female dominant born pup or a female submissive (and the ones in between). Same with males.

Not sure which is more difficult: a dominant male or a dominant female. A shy side male or shy side female. But it's certain that a dominant female will be harder to train than a middle pecking order male. And same is true that a dominant male is harder to train than a middle pecking order female.

I've had mainly male dogs and am training my first female. The challenge is the hormone swings around heat cycles. Add that to my own hormone swings and it can be challenging some weeks.

#23 ·
it is my opinion that it's less about the dog being male/female and more about the personality the dog was born with.
I have heard that male dogs run/train better for female handlers and females run/train better for male handlers. Think there is any truth to this?? I have had both, but have only competed with females and they were/are both VERY alpha bitches and seem more hard headed and stubborn than my boy. My next competitive dog will be a male so I guess we'll see. Just curious what y'all think.

#25 ·
They don't call them "bitches" for nothing. I like boys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.