RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

PRA testing for Labs

1M views 178 replies 83 participants last post by  mwk56 
#1 ·
I'd like to start a thread on PRA testing (seeing as there is no database for it) like we have for the EIC test.

If people could list dog name, parents and results that would be awesome.

WRL

#107 ·
Buster Brown, I would say much the same as Weathered. Prcd-PRA is known in Labs. It is entirely correct that the test was accurate, but there is some other mutation causing PRA in Labs which does not have a DNA test yet. In Goldens we have that, and 2 other forms of PRA we can test for; and there is at least one more form.

Optigen tests dogs who are physically diagnosed by a ACVO (board certified veterinary opthmalogist) at no charge. Their website carries a lot of information about the types of PRA that occur in various breeds. I believe (but am not certain) that when they test a physically affected dog, they may use all the PRA tests that they have available ... since some types of PRA occur in many breeds, i.e. over 20 breeds carry the Prcd-PRA gene mutation ... the same mutation in all those many breeds.

The prcd-PRA test was first developed based on an affected Lab owned by The Seeing Eye. It was not identified in Goldens until 2007. While Labs and Goldens share some ancestors (way back in pedigrees), not all the breeds that can have the prcd-PRA mutation can necessarily be that closely connected to each other.

It is also not clear exactly when the signs of PRA can be detected in a dog. The vision might be obviously deficient until they are 5 or 6 years old. Right now two Goldens are being monitored who were dx'd by DNA test as being affected. They are around 6 years old now, and don't show obvious signs of the disease. One of these, however, did have an electroretinograph at maybe around 2 or 3, and that test did indicate the signs of the disease. All of us should be very grateful to those owners for their diligence in contributing to our knowledge about the progression of the disease.

While it is a heartbreaker to have such a nice dog have such a serious disease, at least PRA is one of the diseases that does not cause the dog pain. My friend owns a 10 yr old Golden who is now, for all practical purposes, totally blind from PRA. She still likes to retrieve bumpers ... she listens for the bumper to fall and then uses her nose to find it! She is happy as a pig in mud. She brought her out to a recent agility trial to "meet and greet" ... and you would not have known she is blind. Dogs are much better at adjusting than humans to this loss of vision. They live in their moment, and enjoy every moment. We could probably learn a lot from their attitude! Keep your dog safe, and enjoy every wonderful moment you will have.

#109 ·
Buster Brown, it would be worth having him examined each year. There are often "clinics" run by local clubs where you can have that done by an ACVO for around $35.

The reason for continuing the exams is to see if the exact diagnosis can be made. Maybe it is not PRA, but it could be something else ... might be inherited; or might not be. Documenting what happens with your dog, whatever it is, may help someone else's dog in the future.

#110 ·
Buster Brown, I have a dog with PRA, I feel your heartbreak. I don't think it is a hard diagnosis for a vet to make. My regular vet could see that the retinas were deteriorating and referred me to the animal ophthalmologist. I bring my dog in regularly for eye checks, as PRA can lead to inflammation and painful cataracts. My dog has also developed glaucoma, a very painful disease if left untreated. If you are not taking your dog back to the animal ophthalmologist, I hope your local vet is taking care of your dog's eyes and the potential complications of his eye disease.

PRA is not an easy disease for dogs.

#111 ·
The disease must take a different course in Labs v. Goldens. We have been told by the ACVOs that in Goldens the disease does NOT cause pain or inflammation. Yes, cataract formation is a sequelae (different, though, from our Goldens' inherited juv cataracts). Poodles were the first breed that I knew of to have a serious problem with PRA (back in the mid 70s, it had begun to turn up). The Poodles turned out to be greatly helped by the prcd-PRA test, though it appears they also have some other form as well, not yet testable. However, prcd-PRA appears to be the form which was responsible for most of their PRA.

However, there is another disease in Goldens known as pigmentary uveitis or "Golden Retriever Uveitis" which is known to lead to glaucoma, and can be very painful to the dog along the way. When dx'd early enough certain meds will slow down or stop the progression of the disease. I've been told that these meds don't work on all dogs, though. I do know of dogs who have had to have the affected eye removed as the only recourse. Have not heard of cataracts being painful, but the glaucoma is. This is all pertaining to Goldens, not Labs.

A good friend has a Golden blind from prcd-PRA. The dog is 12-1/2 now, though blind, she is happy and healthy. She does not have much cataract formation, and if you met her you might even have a hard time telling she was totally blind. She still retrieves bumpers in the yard ... waiting to hear them hit the ground and then running to the area and using her nose to find them!

#113 ·
Renee, there may also be some confusion in Labs with retinal dysplasia. Local vets could be confusing the two issues. Perhaps there is pain associated with RD?

Only a few people I know have Goldens afflicted with prcd-PRA. They have been giving nutritional supplements that are believed to be beneficial to eye health, but none have used any anti-inflammatory meds.

#115 · (Edited)
Sorry I got waylaid while I was composing the above.

My dog is going on 9 years right now, and we noticed the vision loss about 3.5 years ago, and she got the PRA diagnosis from an ACVO vet (this is the vet, on the top of the page, with the penguin: http://www.acvo.org/new/diplomates/Dip1.shtml). My dog is pretty much blind now, but I think she still sees motion in good light. I can't remember when and what happened as far as the inflammation and cataracts. The eye pressures went up last spring.

Based on my experience, I am curious why an eye vet would not insist on follow up visits for the PRA diagnosis, so I am going to bring it up with my eye vet. I am concerned that a dog with PRA is not having his eyes cared for, because I am certain my dog would be miserable without the follow up care she has received.

PRA may be a painless disease, but it's sequelae may not be. I do not know the literature, but here you go, from the Canadian Veterinary Journal: "Complete retinal atrophy will develop, and unfortunately the release of degenerative retinal by-products will induce cataract development. Cataracts usually cause phacolytic uveitis, zonular degeneration, and lens luxation; often, secondary glaucoma develops in these dogs. Therefore, we recommend yearly re- examinations by a veterinary ophthalmologist to allow for early diagnosis and medical or surgical management of these common often initially subclinical sequelae."
(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2696715/)

#116 ·
Sorry I got waylaid while I was composing the above.

My dog is going on 9 years right now, and we noticed the vision loss about 3.5 years ago, and she got the PRA diagnosis from an ACVO vet (this is the vet, on the top of the page, with the penguin: http://www.acvo.org/new/diplomates/Dip1.shtml). My dog is pretty much blind now, but I think she still sees motion in good light. I can't remember when and what happened as far as the inflammation and cataracts. The eye pressures went up last spring.

Based on my experience, I am curious why an eye vet would not insist on follow up visits for the PRA diagnosis, so I am going to bring it up with my eye vet. I am concerned that a dog with PRA is not having his eyes cared for, because I am certain my dog would be miserable without the follow up care she has received.

PRA may be a painless disease, but it's sequelae may not be. I do not know the literature, but here you go, from the Canadian Veterinary Journal: "Complete retinal atrophy will develop, and unfortunately the release of degenerative retinal by-products will induce cataract development. Cataracts usually cause phacolytic uveitis, zonular degeneration, and lens luxation; often, secondary glaucoma develops in these dogs. Therefore, we recommend yearly re- examinations by a veterinary ophthalmologist to allow for early diagnosis and medical or surgical management of these common often initially subclinical sequelae."
(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2696715/)

first of all Renee, I am very sorry to hear about your dog. I am wondering if you ever had the blood test done from Optigen on your dog that is affected with PRA. There are diseases that present just like PRA. Such a SARDs. Without the blood test, even the most experienced AVCO, it is nearly impossible to tell the difference. I would also be concerned about the pain that you believe your dog is experiencing since this would be very atypical PRA.

also, I am curious as to the pedigree on your dog. Is it pure field lines, show lines or a mix?

thanks

#119 ·
SARD is sudden acquired retinal degeneration. The dog loses retinal function suddenly rather than gradually. The pattern of retinal death is different than PRA if caught early and I have seen reports that it can be reversed if caught early (not sure if these are wild rumors on the net or real).

#121 ·
There is currently still no database for PRA correct?
I just ordered the test for my dogs and took advantage of the winter sale. I'm planning on taking the swab sample myself with a witness present, is this the route most of you also took?

#122 ·
No database for just PRA. Optigen does not have a public database. However, you can submit results to OFA (with a fee) to be added to the dog's OFA "page."

#123 ·
Medal of Honor, QAA (Valor) - clear
FC Contempt of Court (Ruckus) - clear

#126 ·
PRA is progressive retinal atrophy. Retinal dysphasia is RD. OSD oculoskeletal dysplasia. Go to the optigen website.

Eye yes exams can go to CERF or now OFA.

#127 ·
Most of the eye drs. are switching over to OFA ... last year the eye dr I went to was using up his CERF forms, and then switching over to only OFA forms at his clinics. If your dr gives you a CERF form, you can submit it directly to OFA regardless.

My sense would be that CERF will "fade away" since with OFA doing records directly, there is really no longer a necessity for CERF.

As I understand it, CERF had administrative problems that impacted both the consumer of their services and the doctors. The OFA forms are easier to fill out than filling in all those boxes for CERF info.

Also, CERF was always a couple of years behind in aggregating its data from the forms submitted. That meant that it was harder to see what trends were developing in a breed. Then, if you wanted the data, you had to pay CERF for their reports of that cumulative data. OFA, since they already have all the background data-aggregation software in place, make that cumulative info easier to access for everyone.

#130 ·
Here's the exact procedure, from OFA site if your ACVO use CERF form but want it recorded at OFA health database.

Can I submit a CERF exam form to the OFA’s Eye Certification Registry?

Since the exam data is the same, the OFA will accept submissions recorded on CERF exam forms. However, so the owner’s intent is clear, the OFA will require a signed note from the owner or authorized agent indicating they would like the exam results entered into the OFA Eye Certification Registry, and accompanying payment must be made to the OFA. If a submission includes a check payable to CERF, the application will be returned.

#131 ·
HRCH UH Moreau's 12 Gauge Bossman "Jax" (GRHRCH UH Lakes Cajun Dakota 12 Gauge X HRCH High Cotton Eba's Boss Molly) PRA Normal/Clear

WFL Look The Storm In The Eye "Storm" (FTCH Lowforge Aragon Of Leacaz X KT's Palgrave Kate) PRA Normal/Clear

#132 ·
Registered Name: GMPR Duffys Jazzed Up Rippin Ruby QAA
Registration #: SR63761801
Tattoo/Chip #: 053 889 854
Call Name: Ruby

Breed: Labrador Retriever
Date of Birth: July 18, 2010

Optigen Accession #: 14-2208

Test Performed: prcd Mutation Test for PRA

Sample Type: Swab

Test Results: Genotype of your dog is NORMAL/CLEAR.

#133 ·
MPR Rattlinridge's Five Alarm Chili MH "Chili"
Rattlinridge Amazing Grace MH "Mazy"
Kingsland's Have No Mercy MH "Mercy" (mother to Chili, Mazy & Willie and to GMPR Duffys Jazzed Up Rippin Ruby QAA)
MPR Rattlinridge's Bronco Bill MH "Willie"
CPR HRCH Wind River SST MH QAA (Willie is his sire)

FC AFC CFC CAFC Jazztime Last Chance v Pekisko "Chance" sire to (Chili and Mazy).

All normal for prcd-PRA
Chili is also normal for RD/OSD (retinal dysplasia)

#135 · (Edited)
Carbon Star Katniss
PRA - NORMAL/CLEAR
RD/OSD - NORMAL

#137 ·
For Lab people who may not know, k9data now accommodates Labradors as well as Goldens. When you visit the site, the default is Goldens, so you have to change the dialogue box at the top of the page.

k9data gives you places to put in your health screenings, along with your pedigree.

#138 ·
Six Mile's Canadian Twist (U-ROG U-ROC URX(2) U-CD HRCH GRCH Chilbrook Lone Ranger CD RAE SH WC CGC x SHR Chocolate Truffle Shuffle)
prcd-PRA Clear & RD-OSD clear Optigen Accession #: 14-8125

#139 ·
Chill By Harness Creek
Sire: U-ROG U-ROC URX(2) U-CD HRCH GRCH Chilbrook Lone Ranger CD RAE SH WC CGC
Dam: HRCH UH Harness Creek's Lady Jazz MH
prcd-PRA Clear & RD-OSD clear Optigen

#140 ·
Luckydux Gave Her Momma Forty Quacks***
Sire: FC AFC Wood River's Franchise
Dam: Buckshot's Pure Pleasure MH

prcd-PRA Normal/Clear RD/OSD Clear Both tests Optigen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.