RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Bumper ropes

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  MooseGooser 
#1 ·
Training my 1st lab - He is 13 months and he sometimes brings the bumper back with the rope in his mouth - Other than removing the ropes from the bumpers (hard to throw & carry) - Does anyone have a trick to stopping this - Thanks

#3 ·
This is pretty common for young guys. It will get better as you progress in training. For drills when no long throws are required I remove the ropes for a while until they pass through this stage. Get a bucket to carry the bumpers in.

#4 ·
I was never concerned when a young dog returned to me with a bumper by the rope. The reason being is that you don't hunt bumpers, they don't do tests or trials with bumpers and the last reason it usually works itself out as the dog matures and just lives for the retrieve.
Clay

#8 ·
I have the same thing in my 2 y/o BLF. She just loved the rope. Forgot all about it when we started her on real birds. She carried them like a natural from day one.

Keeping your pup enthusiastic about playing with bumpers at this stage is more important than how they carry it now.

Enjoy your pup and welcome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.