Is it in poor taste

• yes

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • no

Votes: 95 93.1%

Is it in poor taste?

3K views 15 replies 16 participants last post by  cgoeson 
#1 ·
Is it in poor taste to sit and judge on paper, as well as record on video each competing dog in the stake from the gallery.

#4 ·
I think as long as the contestants don't mind being filmed....

People sitting in the gallary and judging in the margins of their catalogs or on other writing material is nothing new. I've spoken to many who do this and have received a variety of answers. The most common reply is that they want to see how their evaluations jive with the callbacks and ultimate placings. If that is truly the motivation, then go for it. If it helps people come to an understanding of dog work, that's a good thing.

One thing everyone needs to remember! Only the judges watch EVERY dog from the line. Everyone in the gallery tends to get distracted, miss a dog, miss part of a retrieve, etc.

A reminder to judges (including myself): The gallery should be positioned where they can see the test, but it should not be behind the line or closely beside the line. Too much noise, too much movement behind a handler, and too easy to interfere with a dog's performance. The gallery should be a distance from the line, but where visibility is good. It is more important that the gallery's view be somewhat limited rather than a dog's performance be somewhat handicapped by the gallery. Marshals should be aware of "creepers" and send them back to the gallery while dogs are working. The line can be viewed when birds are sent out, gunners changed, or lunches distributed.

#5 ·
Personally I think its a great idea...I wish video technology would allow more trials to be captured on tape for use to replay, we all sit and ask for updates on callbacks, if someone were to capture an entire series on digital video equipment for playback on a website or you tube format, imagine how many of us would want to watch the replay...could you also imagine the controversy if there were a dispute over a dog being dropped

replay challenge regards

#6 ·
Goodness, I hope not! I have learned more by watching, note taking and videoing than any time I have been at the line myself. ;)

#7 ·
That is the best way to learn. I know we (NAHRA Central region) have been trying to get a multitude of dogs taped so that judging seminars can have dog work infornt of them, among other reasons.

I learned more about how to handle, train, and judge sitting in the gallery watching and talking with more expereinced people in one summer than I ever could have without that opporitunity

There will always be some controversy as to who got called back, but the point about the gallery did not see EVERYTHING is true.

#11 ·
I don't have a problem with it...UNLESS...the replay of the video is used for the purpose of comparing dog work against callbacks and potentially causing an uproar. If the motivation is simply to have an archive of dog work, then tape all you like...but if the purpose is less than honorable then yes, it is in poor taste.

A couple of weeks ago, I heard of a videotaping situation that really disturbed me. A hunting test judge was videoing handlers while also judging...don't know if it was a static camera or not (otherwise, how could they make notes of the dog work for callbacks?), but the most disturbing thing was the judge later showed the video and made fun of particular handlers. Don't know if he showed it only to his co-judge or anyone else, but THAT to me was about as close as a judge can get to misconduct; it was already in poor taste.

I received a videotape of all 10 series of one dog's work several years ago after a National Open, a trial which the dog on the tape WON. A handwritten note on the tape said "Is THIS the work of a National Champion?" I was really disappointed in that situation....sometimes folks can REALLY surprise you....

kg

#13 · (Edited)
Hamburgers added another 20 pounds to me!...Ok, maybe more. BTW, I agree with KG. How I feel about video depends on what you do with it. I believe MOST judges try very hard to set up fair and challenging tests, and I think that's much more difficult than throwing rocks. On the other hand, as a tool to further your own learning, I'm a great believer in video.
________
Mike

#15 ·
I don't have a real problem with it. I imagine to some, the paper part, is like writing the the action at a baseball game. And the video can be a great educational tool, but shouldn't be used as a judging tool. No instant replay please.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.