RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Pesky Neighbors Don't Like My Dog Training

14K views 62 replies 52 participants last post by  SFKennels 
#1 ·
Decided to do walking collar fetch in the front driveway today and had to ear pinch on a couple refusals. Same neighbor that told me I was cruel to my dogs for leaving them outside in kennels during the day on a past occasion decided to come over and tell me how cruel I was being to that poor little puppy. She went on to say that that metal collar on his neck is cruel and how would I like to be jerked around by that? She also mentioned calling animal cruelty and taking photos to show them. Her final comment was that dogs have feelings just like humans and if I did not love them then I shouldn't have dogs.

I did my best to stay calm and explain that sometimes the training may not always look pleasant but is necessary for the training program and both her and her husband have also complimented me on what well trained dogs I have.

Obviously I will not be training in the front of the house anymore where she can make observations but was wondering how some others might deal with this situation. Would be interested to hear what others who have experienced similar situations have done to deal with this stuff in a professional manner. What do you tell animal cruelty if they do show up?

#3 ·
What you don't really want to do is get a couple of ducks, shackle them, and make your dog retrieve them out of your yard on while the neighbors are around. You really need to move into the country were you can do your own thing. I really loved having my neighbor tell me how I should treat my dog, when her kid shows up immortally stoned in her yard- not to mention pregnant.

Don't use heeling sticks, or e-collars in front of the neighbors either.

Welcome to retrieving.

#4 ·
What you don't really want to do is get a couple of ducks, shackle them, and make your dog retrieve them out of your yard on while the neighbors are around. You really need to move into the country were you can do your own thing. I really loved having my neighbor tell me how I should treat my dog, when her kid shows up immortally stoned in her yard- not to mention pregnant.

Don't use heeling sticks, or e-collars in front of the neighbors either.

Welcome to retrieving.

EGADS! Potheads that will live forever!!!! The horror, the horror! Vampires on meth!!! Speed bleed!!!

#5 ·
Oops, so caught up in the imagery of the immortal stoners I forgot what i was going to say. If anyone were ever to question the way I handle my dogs, I would just ask them to watch a while. All 3 of mine are impossibly happy and it shows. (as long as its not past dinner time and I'm not home yet).

#6 ·
Best to do all training away from your home or in your basement etc. Not likely to spark that kind of interest from your neighbors! Some can be very interesting. :) And you can't tell what they will do! They simply lack understanding of what you are doing nor will you be able to explain it to them without an issue.

#9 ·
I had to train on a public area before I moved and the field had a walking path around it. One day I was out running blinds and a couple ladies stopped to watch. Like most people that don't know they thought it was amazing. One lady then asked how she could get her kids to mind like my dog? I pulled the heeling stick out of my back pocket and showed it to her. She promptly turned and walked on. lol

#11 ·
Tell em to "Pound sand".....once you cave and not train in YOUR front yard, you are playing into their hands, maybe I dont like seeing their fat rear ends waddle to the mailbox...wait till they get a load of me cleaning my shotgun in the garage or shooting my bow in the driveway....cant wait to drive up wit a big ole elk sticking out the back of the pick up truck or lining up a limit of ducks and geese in the driveway and taking tailgate pictures

Nosey neighbors can KMA

#12 ·
I live in the Maryland suburbs of Washington DC, so nearly everybody is a liberal lawyer wannabe where I live. I go to great lengths to NOT have conflicts like that one. People are well meaning, they see no reason a dog should ever have to do something unpleasant, and will never appreciate what we do. I can't change them, would not profit by doing so, and therefore avoid wasting time and energy in interacting with non-like minded people.

#14 ·
This reminds me of a time when I was at a public park…

I would get there before sun up to run a drill or two and then walk with my dog, without a lead. Other folks got their early as well to walk their K9 companions off lead as well. I was approached by a woman who was clearly upset. She had two labs with her. She started to scold me about the e-collar my dog was wearing (I had not used it this morning) and how cruel it was… all while her labs are nipping at my dog. I called my dog to me and he came a sat at heel. I controlled my frustration and tried to educate her on the e-collar and how when used properly was quite humane.. yada.. yada .. yada and for the Safety of the dog … using the example of “here”.

She did not want to hear it…

Not one minute later a skunk goes running by. My dog takes a few step toward the skunk and I say sit which he does. I bet you can guess what happened next.

Yep!. Before I even go to turn I hear here screaming… Here! Here! No… Here!

Two very stinky Labs went home with her.

JW

#15 ·
Well I have to say this board and the people on it are awesome! I have posted on a breed forum in the past and always have to be mindful of the Liberal Feel Good Mafia's presence. No such malarkey here.

I did engage this woman in the street, so she did not trespass. She did however, threaten that if the dog is ever missing, that I would know where it is. I am still pissed off about this situation and was concerned about over reacting at the time but in hindsight that may of stopped her in her tracks.

Thanks for the replies.

#16 ·
Personally, I wouldn't FF in public, primarily for the sake of the dog. The beginning of force training can be stressful even overwhelming for a dog and I prefer to give them as distraction free environment as possible so they can focus entirely on the work. If you have a choice between doing your walking fetch in the back yard rather than the front, I would choose the former regardless of the proximity of neighbors, to reduce extraneous distractions.

You might think I am being too concerned the feelings of others but I have come to appreciate that life is a two way street; so... though being told I was cruel to my dog would annoy me, it would do so much less than knowing I could not amicably discuss any grevenses I might have with my neighbors' behavior.

#29 ·
Although annoying, I suggest careful deliberation about where you train and before any response. A few minutes of timely video in the wrong hands or website can lead to more trouble than you really want. Not saying it's right but I've seen the process.

I agree with boone11 100% While you should feel empowered to train your dog on your own property, please imagine you are on video at all times. Don't give kooks ammunition that they can use against you.

Chris

#20 ·
Get a bandana--they're useful for retriever training in public. They can be tied around prong collars and ecollars, so you look like a doting owner who'd never, ever do anything mean to your doggie. They don't exactly project that "cool" image, but neither does a squad car or the animal cops pulling up with the incident report [/QUOTE]

Great idea Julie. Years ago I got grief from someone while walking my Basenji in the local park using a prong collar. He was an alpha dog and drama queen who would vocalize when corrected. I got quite a lecture and a "I'll report you" from someone walking by who saw the collar.

#22 ·
If this happened to me, I would probably be in big trouble right at the point where she said "if your dog is ever missing". Not for cruelty to animals but for cruelty to humans! I admire your patience and self control. Like someone said, it is a two way street and I bet sometime she will be doing something that you don't like. Have a long memory!

#23 ·
I have been in the same place about 9 years ago while Forceing to the pile in my driveway my "tree hugger, anti hunting" neighbor told me that she called the cops on me for animal cruelty.... after talking to the cops it was a non issue (for me) ... the next day her cat was on my deck which it usually was.... Red Wing has a cat leash law too..

I called the human center and they quickly came and got it...

#24 ·
It's your dog, yard, grass, leash, collar. Don't ruin any relationships with the neighbors but politely tell her to mind her own business. I would continue "business as usual." But I Love dogs and don't care so much about what people think of me or my dogs. LOL.

#26 ·
I'd call the police and tell them the woman is threatening me and threatening to steal my dogs. Get it on record first.

#31 ·
I agree with Terry. At minimum start logging her threats.

/Paul
I agree with this also. I'd be getting the "temperature" of the local police and beginning to establish a relationship. Be sure to paint the picture of a responsible sportsman doing reasonable dog training. Don't paint yourself with the brush of the kooky crybaby who wants to tattle on the neighbors. With many folks on the law enforcement side, this can be a fine line between the 2 types.

#28 ·
Personally I wouldn't FF in public. It's not always pretty and yes it does piss the neighbors off. Try if you can to find a better spot. Reminds me of a day many years ago when I was at a public beach with my son who was about 5 yrs old. The beach is full of family beach fun in the sun. Then came Mister Trainer with his lab. From FF to choke chain to the helicopter ride with his dog. He dragged the dog, kicked the dog, you name it. Not a soul on that beach was comfortable. I finally went up to him and explained that he was upsetting everyone. Well the guy got an attiitude about how it is a public place and he was training his dog. I said yeah, I got that part. You mean you are trying to train your dog and you suck at it. He explained that I don't understand, but oh yes I do! I get it, you want to train your dog. Finally I said a few naughty words and told him he was an idiot. Then I thanked him for making all the children cry and want to go home.

See, I would find a nice private spot. Makes the world a little nicer. When the FF is done, go back to the yard for fun stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.