RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Finding nice dogs

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  windycanyon 
#1 ·
Finding nice looking and talented stud dogs is really a challenge... I sure wish there were some place they could be found with all pertinent information - with pictures. I know there is a catalog that is published once a year and it generally show cases show dogs but I have seen field dogs as well. I would buy one every year to find and keep information on the studs and pedigrees if field trial dogs were in it as well. I talked to the guy who is in charge of it and he said it is not limited to show dogs like some people think. I love the format and if you have a nice female you can put her in it as well. So... how about everybody get a nice stacked shot of your HRCH /MH / FC / or AFC? even derby dogs ready to put in the next issue. I guess you have until this coming December to get your info to them. They post it on the web and you can buy a hard copy for 10.00. Make a girl happy so I can see all your fine dogs in one place instead of spazzing out searching the internet and field trial results for just the right dog and finding info and no pictures or finding everything after hours of searching. Check it out - this is just one example http://www.pedigreelistings.com/page_32_2013.html

#2 ·
OK, it doesn't even have to be stacked but... I would like to see stacked shots myself.

#4 ·
I know, I would love it if everybody put a picture in it! It is actually pretty inexpensive for the exposure your dogs would get. I may put my boy in it next year when I get a good stacked shot.

#5 ·
You could even post up coming litters with pictures of the parents I believe. Again, I would like to see stacked shots. This directory is not limited to titled dogs but unless the pedigree is something super - I probably would not be looking at untitled dogs.

#7 ·
It never ceases to amaze me how well dogs sell without visuals. We've gone to tremendous lengths to make the physical appearance of our dogs readily accessible and it has paid off, I believe.

FWIW - I think many people would appreciate a one-stop-shop for dog information, but I'm sure others would see it differently.

#9 ·
Stacked is just a dog standing squarely posed so you can see its feet, legs and how well all the body parts "fit". It's harder to get a decent standing photo of a dog when you're by yourself as you can see by these 3 photos. The first is my old dog Puffin, at a show taken by a professional and handled by one, too. She naturally stood very squarely and knew stand-stay too but as you can see by my photo (2nd one) if you don't have a level spot and get the angle just right they just don't look as good. Plus almost all field dogs will not stay put in a stand if you're trying to take photos without help. The last one is a male dog I bred to Puffin, and I tried to get a nice stand stay on him so I could post photos of him. This was one of about a dozen I took and it was the best I could get.

Dog Mammal Vertebrate Canidae Dog breed
Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae
Dog Mammal Vertebrate Canidae Dog breed

#10 ·
Close enough - that is all I would have to see...

#11 ·
I think what most want to see is performance. The top FT dogs are not in need of advertising in a catalogue. It's all word of mouth and what is more important than being stacked is exhibiting marking, drive and style. A pretty picture is nice, but it doesn't speak to what the dog brings to the table in terms of working ability.

Even when I did compete in conformation (Newfoundlands) it was very important to me to know that the sire I chose was the whole package. Water & draft accomplishments, as well as proper movement when gaited. Stacking doesn't necessarily mean that you have a form follows function dog and it doesn't speak to intelligence and great marking. Better to choose a stud based on having watched him run or knowing someone you trust who has.

M

#12 · (Edited)
They still need nice structure to hold up well over the years, Miriam. JMO. And yes, I judge a lot based on gait here too so not arguing w/ you there. A dog that gaits gracefully is usually put together well.

Julie/SPEED: I just sent out 7 of 8 pups sired by Jett (from your breeding), and I wasn't disappointed. Had show folks who were very impressed. Pups all went to great hunting or competition homes and feedback so far is great about how adaptable the pups were despite the fact I sent them out a few days earlier than normal due to the Easter weekend. Here is the #2 pick I have held back for another competition prospect (we started puppy tracking today at barely 8 wks and he did great):

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.