RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Mini's at a hunt test

21K views 91 replies 52 participants last post by  walt8@cox.net 
#1 ·
From AKC Minutes

• Effective January 1, 2014, Miniature Poodles will be eligible to compete in AKC Hunting Tests for Retrievers.
that should be fun, maybe the can run last so we don't have to wait.... :p

#51 ·
Are Mini's considered Toy's? If they stand as tall as a toller the I do not see an issue but if a Mini is = to Toy in stature, then the Blinds will be though to judge. The Mini's will be out of sight more often than the labs in basic cover. Hmmm

#56 ·
Julie- are Curly coated retrievers in the Chessie history? Cause if they are-you can thank poodles in part, for the curlies.
Nope, Sorry Pals..

#54 ·
At first I thought this was gonna be about Mini Coopers.......
I've seen plenty of Minivans, but never a Mini Cooper....

#57 ·
UPDATE: 2ND MINIATURE POODLE GETS AKC JUNIOR HUNTER TITLE

Since being allowed to enter AKC Hunt Tests 1/1/14, the second miniature poodle, Nina, got the AKC Junior Hunter title last weekend in Buckhead, GA (Atlanta Retriever Club). "It is truly special to have the whole gallery rooting and cheering you on! Nina was very pleased with herself as well. I was absolutely bursting with pride!"

If you do the work, you get the prize. Well, she did it. Four ducks at four tests. Yes, normal sized ducks. Yes, the small mouth delivered each of them to my hand. Yes, she does swim. Yes, she is fearless in deep, dense cover. Yes, she CANNOT see over tall grass, but with her incredible marking skills, she triangulates the duck's downward trajectory and figures out where it lands - every time. Small dog, big talent, huge heart.

I am glad there are many of you who can accept the strengths and talents and unique styles of different breeds who choose to play the game. Best Wishes and Happy Hunting!

Beth White, Maryville, TN
MACH3 Menina De Prata CD RE JH MXG MJB2 MXF T2B2 CGC WC UWC HPC "Nina"
Dog Mammal Vertebrate Canidae Dog breed
Vertebrate Dog Mammal Canidae Hunting dog

#58 ·
UPDATE: 2ND MINIATURE POODLE GETS AKC JUNIOR HUNTER TITLE

Since being allowed to enter AKC Hunt Tests 1/1/14, the second miniature poodle, Nina, got the AKC Junior Hunter title last weekend in Buckhead, GA (Atlanta Retriever Club). "It is truly special to have the whole gallery rooting and cheering you on! Nina was very pleased with herself as well. I was absolutely bursting with pride!"

If you do the work, you get the prize. Well, she did it. Four ducks at four tests. Yes, normal sized ducks. Yes, the small mouth delivered each of them to my hand. Yes, she does swim. Yes, she is fearless in deep, dense cover. Yes, she CANNOT see over tall grass, but with her incredible marking skills, she triangulates the duck's downward trajectory and figures out where it lands - every time. Small dog, big talent, huge heart.

I am glad there are many of you who can accept the strengths and talents and unique styles of different breeds who choose to play the game. Best Wishes and Happy Hunting!

Beth White, Maryville, TN
MACH3 Menina De Prata CD RE JH MXG MJB2 MXF T2B2 CGC WC UWC HPC "Nina"
View attachment 20288 View attachment 20289
Congratulations. :)

#59 ·
That's a pretty awesome, multi-talented mini you've got there Beth, congratulations!!!

#60 ·
I would welcome them to my training group. We always need someone to go first to "test" the waters. Gators that might pass on a full size dog wouldn't be able to resist a "fun" sized dog. Early warning system.

Why does anyone care? Standard poodles have run forever and they don't mind getting wet like goldens. Now JRT's are a definite no, but again a great early warning dog......

#62 ·
Congratulations....I'm sorry but the pictures make me chuckle, not in a mean way, just a good old fashion chuckle...looks like Nina was enjoying herself!

#63 ·
GOOD for you!! Congrats!!

#67 ·
Stan B needs to weigh in on this. He judged Roxanne as she ran her last(?) JH pass. The cover was deep enough that even the bigger dogs were out of sight for a while. I, for one, found it both entertaining and endearing. Also, that little 8lb fluffball took less time to run her four birds than quite a few dogs (particularly if you don't count the time it took for the flyer to quit flapping). She actually marked very well.

#69 ·
I once judged a mini in NAHRA Started. The dog did a great job but ended up not passing. This was the second day of the weekend and we used the same grounds from Intermediate the previous day. Little Percy got caught up in drag scent from the previous day and did not retrieve the last mark. He was the only dog to aknowledge the old scent. He obviously had the best nose in the field. But, three birds out of four does not result in a pass.

Tom

#71 ·
Stan, you know exactly who the first one was.

#72 ·
There are several "short" breeds that are allowed to run test. As far as them being out of site in normal cover, to me that is a dog problem, not a judging problem. Test are supposed to be based on actual hunting situations and conditions. Do Boykin and NSDT owners only hunt on a golf course?
the majority of times I judge I am given a specific area we can set our test in. You work with what you are given and the dogs do the test or they don't. Down here I know of few clubs control their grounds and if the landowner doesn't cut it you use what you get and say think you. I don't see HT getting all PC and worrying too much about little dogs and tall cover, at least I hope not. I would not own a dog that couldn't hunt in pretty much any conditions.
I say bring them on and let them play, but they have to meet the standard the same as any other breed with no modifications to the test to accommodate size

#76 ·
Cool! I think I might have a different cut though. Around here with that close crop the poor thing would probably look like it lost a fight with a bobcat by the time it ran out and back.

#77 ·
I believe this was the first "Mini" to get the JH title.
I was there that day, this little dude earned it's pass.

Wouldn't be my first choice, but I would hunt over that dog.
Tons of bottom, NO quit!

JMO on that day!

#79 ·
Congrats! Was there to see her collect her title ribbon, but didn't get to see her run. That would have been fun to watch. Until this post was started, I didn't know people used mini poodles, and had never seen one retrieve. But all the minis I've met have been BIG little dogs.

#80 ·
Congrats Beth and Nina. Bob that last pic made me LOL. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.