RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

How much is enough?? (Breeding)

5K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  az hunter 
#1 ·
I am new to breeding and would like to know how many times per day is enough. I don't have the time to go to a vet and and have the tests done right now. She just stopped her period a few days ago and she is willing and he is ready. What do I need to know or do? Any help would be great.

#3 ·
Ok ya you got me. I guess I should have specified "dog (k9)" breeding

#5 ·
If you haven't got the time to go to a vet at this stage then I think the wisest thing you can do is NOT breed your bitch, until you do have the time and have put the proper research into it. Have you had the time to make sure all the relevant health tests have been done? (hips/elbows/eyes/CNM/EIC/PRA on both sire and dam) Have you fully researched the pedigrees?

If you think going to the vet for a blood test is time-consuming then just wait until your litter is 3 weeks old and is a full time job for you weaning and cleaning up after them.... :eek:

I'm sorry, but I think this breeding plan needs a whole lot more thought than just chucking your two dogs together for a few days :(

#9 ·
I agree that all clearances should be complete before a breeding takes place. However it is a little high brow to state a breeding shouldn't happen simply because ovulation isn't pinpointed. Because of turnaround time of the hormone tests my vet felt it was of little value for natural breeding(I live in a very rural area). Now if you add the cost of frozen and surgical AI then it would be foolish to proceed without the tests.

To reanswer the original question. One tie then skip a day then another tie is the standard procedure here.

#10 ·
@ kennel maiden I think that I know all about MY dogs health standards as well as pedigree they are as I stated "MY" dogs. As far as going to the vet to get testing done to see how close she is, I live in a rural part of Arizona and to get to my vets office is about a hour and a half one way that is three hours round trip. Now if you take into consideration a little thing like WORK obligations and by the way I am a correctional officer that works 12 hours per day 6-7 days per week. I just can't leave work when ever I choose just to go take my dog to the vet for blood work. I don't think that my questions were difficult they were broad and very simple to respond to.

#12 · (Edited)
Ya but for some reason everyone is down on a guy breeding no matter the pedigree or health checks. It seems like most think only a select few should breed and that's it. Good luck, problems with breeding do happen but there not overly common. Get the two together for happy fun times and I hope you enjoy the ride.

#11 ·
I had one bitch that bred every other day for a week. We were thinking she was "early" (had only been 7 days since I first saw blood, but had to go out of town and it was the only time I had to drop off), we weren't really looking for a tie that day, but they did while we were standing and talking. She whelped total of 11 puppies. The other bitch I bred the "same time", both started the same time, 2nd bitch was bred Friday and Sunday, the end of the same week that the other was bred, only one pup, I think it was a little too early in her cycle. Both were done live cover, no prog test done, but breedings were done pretty much the same times that they had been done on prior heat cycles.

The bitch I just bred, did progesterone testing both cycles she has been bred, first time 3 years ago, she was ready day 10, this time wasn't ready until day 14-16. This one was done live cover, waiting to see how "successful" we were.

#13 ·
I know that when I bred Peyton, I had the two dogs together on three separate occasions over 4 or 5 days. That being said, the first two times I took her over, she was standing ready, but it didn't happen. We then put them together in a more confined area and it took about 2 minutes for them to hook up. The final 2 times, they had it figured out, so it was no problem. Like others have said, let nature take its course if she is ready.

Good luck,

Mark

#14 ·
It seems like this quote or something like it ends up in every post to do with breeding... " Have you had the time to make sure all the relevant health tests have been done? (hips/elbows/eyes/CNM/EIC/PRA on both sire and dam) Have you fully researched the pedigrees?"

WHO IS THE BREEDING POLICE?

#19 ·
az hunter, is there a breeding kennel that is close to you that you can visit? The breeding part is the easy part for any animal. They know what to do ;-) and when it is time. I, like kennel maiden, just hope you have time for the results? If you feel you don't have the time or are going to need help, ask the kennel if they would be like a midwife to your litter,take care of shots,dew claws and such, and then pick them up and take them home after they are 7 weeks old. Best of luck!!!

#22 ·
Amen, Raina, well said.

#25 ·
If dogs have the mental capacity of say, the average 6 yr old, and the average hormonally charged teenager is 10 yrs older then that, and I remember being groped and pawed and slobbered on by said average hormonally charged teenager....than I would say that letting mother nature run its course is highly flawed!!!! You guys are not nearly as suave and skilled as you think you are !!! :)

There. I did my part to bring the topic back to its regularly scheduled level of maturity.

#26 ·
Thanks for the advice every 1-2 days. I am going to end this thread now thank you..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.