RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Injury on Opening Day

990 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Gonzo 
#1 ·
we hunted the Cedar River in Northeast Iowa this past saturday for duck opener. In the first 45 minutes Colt had himself about a dozen retrieves! With 12 wood ducks in the boat, lucky number 13 came flying by and we shot the bird. Colt marked it, I sent him and he ran a beautiful 40 yard water mark, but once he got to the duck, he turned around and looked at me with the woody in his mouth and his right front paw sticking up in the air... I knew something was wrong.

He made his way back to the boat (I met him in the water and carried him back) and he had stepped on something sharp! His pads were fine, but the skin between the pads had a nasty tear in it and his toes immediately swelled up. Of course I was worried and thought he broke his toes or worse, cut tendons as well. Long story short, nothing was broken and the swelling was from hyper-extension. 3 days later, antibiotics, ointment and anti-inflammatories the healing is going well (could not do stiches due to infection). I am posting this to remind all you hunters to be careful for objects in the field! Especially the river, pond and lake hunters out there, you cannot see what is below the water!

Hopefully in the next few weeks Colt is ready to go, but he will be resting for a while :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.