RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

hunting my dog

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Jon Hass 
#1 ·
Heard mixed feelings. Hunt or not to hunt. I don't want to create bad habits while hunting. I just finished my hr title and in spring I want to get her hrch title. My feeling is hunt her that's what they were breed for. What u guys think?

#8 ·
I`m assuming delivery has been taught and will do a fairly decent single (with birds of course),has been shot over (shot flyer from side)and has been taught to sit (steady),not to mention his obedience has been taught.Then I see no reason not to hunt him.The only habit he will have is the one you allow.Good luck!!!!Jim

#5 ·
they bounce celling high when ever you pick up a shotgun and stand on your chest and drool on your face at 4 am on the odd day you want to sleep in.
other than that it is just another training day to them. you set the standards.

OH.... a young dog yes?
do not forget your chunk of rope, and rocks are less expensive than live shot gun shells, when you need something to toss to make a splash.

#7 ·
A test judge told me “take my advice – Don’t hunt that dog for at least a year. He has too much drive and power and will pick up bad habits that will be hard to break” –
He may very well have been correct (the jerk) but IMO – Not hunting for a year is not an option, and hunting without the dog is pointless.. :)

#9 ·
Unless your dog is accustomed to live rounds coming from numerous guns WAIT! I personally know a great young dog with a seasoned title that was hunted over the first time and now the owner has a huge problem to try and correct. Firing poppers at a hunt test in no way recreates live fire in a pit or blind. It can and does frighten some young dogs. If you do decide to hunt your dog now leave your gun cased the first couple times and concentrate on handling your buddy. Anyways that's my two cents. Good luck to you both.

#11 ·
Let the dog hunt.... It MAY help with your training too. Everyone says it hurts... but it also can help if your standards are right because it gives multiple REAL situations vs. typical set ups, making the dog see the big picture...

Also- Hunt with the right people... and they will understand not to mess up or mess with your dog...

#12 ·
A seasoned level dog is a dog that should have a season or two under their belt anyways. If you have a seasoned title... hunt her to your hearts content. The only way she will develop bad habits is if you let it happen. Maintain your standard. Good luck and save some ducks for the rest of us.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.